Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry Pirates
74.50%
Russell Red Devils
25.50%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry (Class 3A 2nd Round)
DevilsWin Wrote:It was the smell.
:letsparty wear deodorant the next time...lol:letsparty ...Im teasing:Thumbs:
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:...LOL

I thought YOU would like that! :Thumbs:
mrfootball03 Wrote:well im not sure where you got that at... but i know the 2005 game, Russell won 20-14 not 27-20

And in 04 it was Belfry 39-17

Sorry about that. I told you my mind was numb from reading this thread.

By the way I got all of the scores except the 2004-2006 games from the "Statistical History of Russell High School Football" that was published after the 2003 season. Those last three I was trying to remember the scores. I had already corrected the 2004 score. Now I have to go correct the 2005 score as well.

Trouble maker.
There its all fixed now.
footballcrazy08 Wrote:I thought YOU would like that! :Thumbs:
Do I know ya?Cool
Where in the world is Devilologist?
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:Do I know ya?Cool

Haha, yes. We used to hang at the lake back in the day Wink
FBALL Wrote:My IQ has dropped about 50 points from reading this thread.

There you go fellas. Have a ball with it.
Its tempting but I won't say a word.

:goofy:<<<<<<<<<<<<At least the hair cut is right.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
FBALL Wrote:Sorry about that. I told you my mind was numb from reading this thread.

By the way I got all of the scores except the 2004-2006 games from the "Statistical History of Russell High School Football" that was published after the 2003 season. Those last three I was trying to remember the scores. I had already corrected the 2004 score. Now I have to go correct the 2005 score as well.

Trouble maker.

lol not me.. feels kind of weird not eating thanksgiving dinner the day before this game!
cobra67 Wrote:Where in the world is Devilologist?

BTW, you don't need a press pass. Come on up and we will let you take his place.
Are we allowed to hedge bets on the game in this thread?Big Grin
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote::letsparty wear deodorant the next time...lol:letsparty ...Im teasing:Thumbs:
LOL good one!:p
Should be a good one Friday. If Russell comes out and plays their best game of the season, which means come out fired up, tackle low, fill the holes, and sustain your blocks. AND DONT KILL DRIVES WITH PENALTIES. Then it should be a good game.

Russell has played against 2 better rushing teams in the last month. However, Belfry is much bigger in the backfield than either of those teams. So that could cause problems for Russell's undersized inner D. However, if they can tackle low on Lee and the bunch, they will be fine.

Offensively, Dave should be ready to go, he experienced pretty much no pain last week while playing a little. With another week of therapy he should be good to go Friday. I think that will give this team a little boost in the passing game. Russell is going to HAVE to pass some this game. They threw almost 40 times against Mason and Raceland. They will need to throw 15+ times Friday to win. Gotta keep Belfry honest so that Drew can do what he does.

I hope the Russell players thinking that because WC scored a couple TD's on Belfry, that means that they are not any good. They are very good, big and physical. Ive seen them play. However, they are not the best team Russell will have played this year, so they shouldn't be intimidated.

For Belfry fans thinking because Ashland beat Russell, and JC blew out Ashland means they are gonna win by 20+ pts, all I need to do is remind you that last year JC took Central to the woodshed. Football is also alot about matchups. I think Russell is the toughest matchup for Belfry's Defense that they have seen all year. JC is good, but JC plays right into Belfry's strength. Anytime JC passed, they sent out 1 reciever to be covered by 3 DB's. I don't think Russell will make that same mistake with Dave back.

Oline has to block this week, no matter what, just block your guy.
http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...00659.html

Nice quotes by both coaches:

- “Oh yeah, we’re the underdogs, whatever that means,” McGlone said.

- “They’re good, that’s all I know,” he said. “You look at Belfry and it’s Belfry. They do basically the same thing. They’re just good.”

- “They’re a good football team,” he said. “In some ways, a typical Russell team. They have good size again and always have that one big back that keeps pounding it at you. They mix the pass in well and always have that quarterback who can run and throw, always have a favorite receiver they like to get the ball to. It seems like they roll them out the same every year.”
Beetle01 Wrote:Offensively, Dave should be ready to go, he experienced pretty much no pain last week while playing a little. With another week of therapy he should be good to go Friday. I think that will give this team a little boost in the passing game. Russell is going to HAVE to pass some this game. They threw almost 40 times against Mason and Raceland. They will need to throw 15+ times Friday to win. Gotta keep Belfry honest so that Drew can do what he does.

Passing against Belfry is a double edged sword. If Russell passes on 1st or 2nd Down and throws an incompletion then it will put their offense in a hard spot against a very stingy defense.The last thing Russell can afford against Belfry is to constantly be stuck in 3rd and Long situations.

I was joking earlier with my response to jgrubby's post about "run, run, run", but the truth is he is actually dead on. Russell has to play "Russell Football" to win this game. If they lose their identity and resort to throwing the ball all over the place it will cause the game to move more slowly and give Belfry even more time to grind down Russell's D-linemen, leaving Russell in a similar position as the Mason County and Raceland games where they just don't have nearly as much gs in the tank down the stretch as their opponent. Don't get me wrong, what has won Russell the past two meetings with Belfry was their ability to complete critical passes. But, in both those games the Devils had success moving the chains with their ground game and only used their passing game as a weapon, not as a crutch.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Passing against Belfry is a double edged sword. If Russell passes on 1st or 2nd Down and throws an incompletion then it will put their offense in a hard spot against a very stingy defense.The last thing Russell can afford against Belfry is to constantly be stuck in 3rd and Long situations.

I was joking earlier with my response to jgrubby's post about "run, run, run", but the truth is he is actually dead on. Russell has to play "Russell Football" to win this game. If they lose their identity and resort to throwing the ball all over the place it will cause the game to move more slowly and give Belfry even more time to grind down Russell's D-linemen, leaving Russell in a similar position as the Mason County and Raceland games where they just don't have nearly as much gs in the tank down the stretch as their opponent. Don't get me wrong, what has won Russell the past two meetings with Belfry was their ability to complete critical passes. But, in both those games the Devils had success moving the chains with their ground game and only used their passing game as a weapon, not as a crutch.

Russell will still use their ground game. Go back to the 06 game. Russell only scores because of their ability to pass the ball. They used their ground game well, but they used their pass game to strike at Belfry because they put 8-10 guys in the box.
Belfry will be fine. If the boys listen to what their coach tells them to do they will be well prepared and will come out with the intensity they need to win this game.
Beetle01 Wrote:Russell will still use their ground game. Go back to the 06 game. Russell only scores because of their ability to pass the ball. They used their ground game well, but they used their pass game to strike at Belfry because they put 8-10 guys in the box.

How many times did Russell pass in '06?
I got it... 8/13 for 147 yards and 3 TD's....

59 plays... 13 were passing... 22% of the plays

If Russell passes 20-25% that is the perfect mix IMO, anything over 25% could get them in trouble

Coincidentally, Belfry passed 14 out of their 43 total plays... 33% of the time.
Good article, both coaches are first rate.No matter who wins seeing these two coach on the same field is worth the price of admission.
kybaseball Wrote:Good article, both coaches are first rate.No matter who wins seeing these two coach on the same field is worth the price of admission.

Those two men have coached alot of winners in more ways than just on the field... aside from Haywood I have had the chance to talk to Coach McGlone and he is as first class as they come. In an age where it is win at all costs, it is refreshing to see these two throwbacks who have done it the right way to get where they are. McGlone and Haywood each have built their reputation on a genuine concern for their kids and building a family atmosphere amongst their staffs.

It is also important to note Belfry's Coach Steve Mickey and Russell's Coach Morris. Quite possibly the two best Assistant Coaches in the entire state who probably could have been a successful head coach at 80% of the school's around the state, but chose to stay loyal to their schools without the limelight.
If the Belfry team which went to Johnson Central shows up this Friday, I'd expect a similar game to the one against Sheldon Clark, maybe a TD closer.
Beetle01 Wrote:Offensively, Dave should be ready to go, he experienced pretty much no pain last week while playing a little. With another week of therapy he should be good to go Friday. I think that will give this team a little boost in the passing game. Russell is going to HAVE to pass some this game. They threw almost 40 times against Mason and Raceland. They will need to throw 15+ times Friday to win. Gotta keep Belfry honest so that Drew can do what he does.

I agree with you totally Beetle01. But my hope is that the breakdown of those fifteen passes are not
13 - mitchell
2 - Bailey

and are more like

4 or 5 - Mitchell
4 or 5 - Bailey
3 or 4 - Dillon
2 or 3 - Abrams

If this happens, I think it gives Russell a better chance of keeping Belfry from loading the box so much to stop the run.
I'll take Belfry in an easy one...Haywood and the Pond creek nation always bring it in November so I'll take Belfry big in this one. But best of luck to both teams...
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Those two men have coached alot of winners in more ways than just on the field... aside from Haywood I have had the chance to talk to Coach McGlone and he is as first class as they come. In an age where it is win at all costs, it is refreshing to see these two throwbacks who have done it the right way to get where they are. McGlone and Haywood each have built their reputation on a genuine concern for their kids and building a family atmosphere amongst their staffs.

It is also important to note Belfry's Coach Steve Mickey and Russell's Coach Morris. Quite possibly the two best Assistant Coaches in the entire state who probably could have been a successful head coach at 80% of the school's around the state, but chose to stay loyal to their schools without the limelight.

I agree. Haywood and Coach McGlone also have respect for their opponets as well. They know if a program is down they will not pound you into the ground Looking for the WOW factor.
Belfry By 2+tds
kybaseball Wrote:I agree. Haywood and Coach McGlone also have respect for their opponets as well. They know if a program is down they will not pound you into the ground Looking for the WOW factor.

go ahead buddy, and make that 1,000th post!!... CONGRATS!!:rockon:
kybaseball Wrote:Good article, both coaches are first rate.No matter who wins seeing these two coach on the same field is worth the price of admission.
For once, I agree with yas!Wink
DevilsWin Wrote:LOL good one!:p
Had to...sorry, but I was only teasing..
Cool
  •  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next