Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top players in the 13th
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Morris at Bell is best player hands down. Maybe one of the top 5 in state. Rated top 30 in America in her class by most recruiting services in America. Most of these Cats Pause writers never see a game on a National level in the summer and the writers are not talent scouts or coaches and that's why some people take offense to some of the comments by both the writers and posters here. Most don't have a clue.

Here's a few clues for you:

The list isn't for the best player on the national level in summer competition.
It's not for the best college prospect.
It's not for the player who is rated the highest by the recruiting services.
The list isn't even picked by the clueless Cats Pause writer. It is a coaches poll.

Morris is a great high school player and has a tremendous college future ahead of her. If you saw a lot of HIGH SCHOOL games last year though you'd know that Madden was just as good a HIGH SCHOOL player. Maybe Morris moves to the front this season, but it's very close going into the year.
HDE Wrote:Here's a few clues for you:

The list isn't for the best player on the national level in summer competition.
It's not for the best college prospect.
It's not for the player who is rated the highest by the recruiting services.
The list isn't even picked by the clueless Cats Pause writer. It is a coaches poll.

Morris is a great high school player and has a tremendous college future ahead of her. If you saw a lot of HIGH SCHOOL games last year though you'd know that Madden was just as good a HIGH SCHOOL player. Maybe Morris moves to the front this season, but it's very close going into the year.

I agree 100%
What this shows is that the coaches are idiots in this region when it comes to talent, and the writers dont care enough to write whatever Kool Aid they are fed. Think about what was just said.......really.
Morris has more offers herself from colleges than every other player in the 13th combined. And to go one step futher, she has more BCS offers that all others have offers combined. How dumb can anyone be?
They give scholarships on potential . If i'm starting a high school team today on information I got from last year I choose Madden everytime.I love Morris as a player and no doubt she going to be special,but today i take Madden. And I believe about every other coach would to.
Thats why you are not a coach or if you are you wont be one long......
And if you think scholarships are awarded on potential you need to find a different message board to frequent.....
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Thats why you are not a coach or if you are you wont be one long......

You need to quit being a HOMER and realize that Bell Co. is not the only place in the state that has indoor gym.LOL
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Morris has more offers herself from colleges than every other player in the 13th combined. And to go one step futher, she has more BCS offers that all others have offers combined. How dumb can anyone be?

I don't want it to sound like I'm criticizing Morris in any way, because she is a great player and I have no doubt she is a tremendous college prospect.

But, again, I must point out that talent and BCS college scholarships aren't the only ways to judge a HIGH SCHOOL player. Those polls, after all, are about high school players.

Scott Russell was Mr. Football in 1991 and went to an NAIA school. He was the best HIGH SCHOOL player that year. Phil Cox was Mr. Basketball in 1981 but other (taller) players had more Division I offers. Richie Farmer is a Kentucky high school legend, but he was not considered one of the top college prospects in the nation. Allan Houston went on to play in the NBA, but Farmer will always be remembered as one of the greatest HIGH SCHOOL players in the history of the state.
insideinfo Wrote:You need to quit being a HOMER and realize that Bell Co. is not the only place in the state that has indoor gym.LOL

Im not from Bell County......:lame:
Ok HDE Im wrong and you are right. Ill bow down the the mountain basketball association of rating high school players and just say I am stupid.
HDE Wrote:I don't want it to sound like I'm criticizing Morris in any way, because she is a great player and I have no doubt she is a tremendous college prospect.

But, again, I must point out that talent and BCS college scholarships aren't the only ways to judge a HIGH SCHOOL player. Those polls, after all, are about high school players.

Scott Russell was Mr. Football in 1991 and went to an NAIA school. He was the best HIGH SCHOOL player that year. Phil Cox was Mr. Basketball in 1981 but other (taller) players had more Division I offers. Richie Farmer is a Kentucky high school legend, but he was not considered one of the top college prospects in the nation. Allan Houston went on to play in the NBA, but Farmer will always be remembered as one of the greatest HIGH SCHOOL players in the history of the state.

Thank you
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Im not from Bell County......:lame:

You can not reason with most of these people on this site! They are all knowing and God forbid you talk good about a girl they don't promote themselves. By the way, I heard Morris and Craig were teammates this summer in AAU. I would have loved to see them play together. I'm sure they were AWESOME!!!!!:popcorn:
13th Region
• Teams: 1. Clay County, 2. Whitley County, 3. Harlan County, 4. Corbin, 5. Bell County, 6. Harlan, 7. South Laurel, 8. Knox Central, 9. Barbourville, 10, Middlesboro.

• Players: 1. Maci Morris (Bell County), 2. Cheyenne Madden (Clay County), 3. Brandy Smith (Whitley County), 4. Miranda Wilson (Corbin), 5. Morgan Chesnut (Clay County), 6. Brooklyn Massingill (Harlan County), 7. Bethany Powers (Whitley County), 8. Jenna Mills (Knox Central), 9. Anajae Stephney (Middlesboro), 10. Morgan Garnett (Bell County).
Above from Courier Journal.
Quote:Above from Courier Journal
And they cover soo much of our region and would know how to rank teams and players....oh plz.
Hitters_Count Wrote:And they cover soo much of our region and would know how to rank teams and players....oh plz.

It looks pretty good to me. It's almost the same as the Cats Pause poll, just reversing Morris and Madden with a couple of different players near the bottom of the top 10.
I never said Morris shouldn't be ranked No. 1. I think it's close. I just didn't agree with the "hands down" description.
YNWA Wrote:I hate that Basketball Wizard continually brings up Craig in these posts. It forces the others to defend their opinion as to why Craig is not on their list and a high school kid gets slammed in the process. Hope she doesn't read these.

That's a good point, but I also believe that Craig may very well be on the top 10 list by the end of the season. Jewell from Corbin will also make a big impression this year in the 13th.
What did Morris do to Clay in the scrimmage? Hmmm.....
The CJ rankings are surprisingly close.
I would think that any of the top 3 could assume the role before its over.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:What did Morris do to Clay in the scrimmage? Hmmm.....

Exactly my point in all this. Best player hands down right now. Not one or two years down the road, right now. Ill bet it was also a double double.
bball lover Wrote:32
That is impressive for sure! I think she will find this harder to do as the season moves on. People are going to be ready for her and put on the double team and help defense!:pondering:
Madden tried to guard her. The games I saw her play last year she was double teamed the whole game by the best players. Man what does this girl have to do? She averaged 19.9 points a game last year with 8 rebounds as a freshman. Why wouldnt she be able to keep this average up as a sophmore? Madden is the #1 player on alot of polls for the 13th region, and she got 32 on her, so why would this be so difficult as the year progresses and she should be getting better? If Bell had a big girl like we do at HC and big girls like Clay C and Whitley C, Bell would be #1. I agree with Wizard, Whitley will struggle without Craig. Sometimes stats dont tell the whole story when you have a big presence inside.
bball lover Wrote:Madden tried to guard her. The games I saw her play last year she was double teamed the whole game by the best players. Man what does this girl have to do? She averaged 19.9 points a game last year with 8 rebounds as a freshman. Why wouldnt she be able to keep this average up as a sophmore? Madden is the #1 player on alot of polls for the 13th region, and she got 32 on her, so why would this be so difficult as the year progresses and she should be getting better? If Bell had a big girl like we do at HC and big girls like Clay C and Whitley C, Bell would be #1. I agree with Wizard, Whitley will struggle without Craig. Sometimes stats dont tell the whole story when you have a big presence inside.

Hey in no way am I saying she won't do it....Just that I think it could get more difficult for her. She is a Great Player no doubt.....and is going to be a Top D-1 Recruit barring injury. She works hard and deserves all the praise she is getting. I agree...with a big girl like Madden or Craig, Bell would be unstoppable in the 13th...:Thumbs: