•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be Harlan County's Next Coach?
It's going to be bad for who ever they hire. Bad deal to have to follow Larkey.
33 power Wrote:I think Russell is the hire if not him then they hire from outside Kentucky. Someone like former South Laurel coach Jep Irwin or possibly Mo Dixon who I think is in South Carolina. Key word is like I am not saying these guys would leave current posts.

They are both in Georgia.

But you nailed it with the second part. neither would even consider leaving Georgia for Harlan County.
I like JB... Think that would be a great hire...
Also names like Mark Dixon and Jerry Herron come to mind..
I Rule The World Wrote:I like JB... Think that would be a great hire...
Also names like Mark Dixon and Jerry Herron come to mind..

I mentioned in another thread but Jerry Herron (Wburg) and Shawn Thompson (Wayne County) are both names I look at if I am Harlan County.

Both have proven they can build a program from Feeder System up and get to the State Finals. Both are coaches who have gotten the most out of their talent.

The biggest thing though is I think Harlan County is also alluring to both as a major step up. Better facilities, better booster support, and a deeper talent pool. Thompson would enjoy not having to compete with the basketball program like he has to at Wayne. Herron will no longer be limited by being a small school district where talent has significant ups and downs.

The question with both will be "IS Harlan County ready for their spread philosophy?"
Brooks4Prez Wrote:They are both in Georgia.

But you nailed it with the second part. neither would even consider leaving Georgia for Harlan County.

Jep making 6 digits in Georgia football heaven no way he comes back to KY
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I mentioned in another thread but Jerry Herron (Wburg) and Shawn Thompson (Wayne County) are both names I look at if I am Harlan County.

Both have proven they can build a program from Feeder System up and get to the State Finals. Both are coaches who have gotten the most out of their talent.

The biggest thing though is I think Harlan County is also alluring to both as a major step up. Better facilities, better booster support, and a deeper talent pool. Thompson would enjoy not having to compete with the basketball program like he has to at Wayne. Herron will no longer be limited by being a small school district where talent has significant ups and downs.

The question with both will be "IS Harlan County ready for their spread philosophy?"

Hello boys you think Jerry and Shawn are dumb@#$#@? They are set where they are not going to get fired for 2 bad season! Harlan Co. just fired a LEGEND FOR 2 BAD SEASONS!!!! What coach in his right mind that has a good situation will come there. You people that wanted the man gone have killed yourself for any coach that is a good one because he is going to look and say "em they just fired a guy named Tom Larky and he has won o about 200 or so games more than me" and then he wakes up!!!!!!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I mentioned in another thread but Jerry Herron (Wburg) and Shawn Thompson (Wayne County) are both names I look at if I am Harlan County.

either would be a great hire if they are interested.better facilities but I doubt it on the boosters part. some people commenting on here think Harlan County doesn't have enough talent to win Smile
pjdoug Wrote:either would be a great hire if they are interested.better facilities but I doubt it on the boosters part. some people commenting on here think Harlan County doesn't have enough talent to win Smile
This^^
There must be more to the story!!!
I would really like to know why he was dismissed?
Craze JACKET man Wrote:There must be more to the story!!!

Apparently coach larkey would like to know too. from all that I have spoken to they all say he was fired in a 2 sentence email and just told by her that she wanted to go another direction.

she also said that 2 straight losing seasons was not acceptable and from what i heard coach larkey informed her that last year they won 8 games and a playoff game, and her reply was she didnt know that.

he was dismissed becasue a few of our idiot parents kids werent good enough and mad because we didnt throw the ball 50 times a game. she bowed down and showed she isnt a leader and needs to work on getting our school better academically since we rank low in the state.
she knows nothing about sports as was proven yesterday
Only name I've seen on here that I think is a possibility a great hire and one that would worry me when my team came to town would be Frazier. I don't think that Williamburgs or Wayne Co. coaches leave for facilities when they have great conveniences in there towns to move to the Mountains. Plus they have their plans in place and programs headed in the right direction
talk about our facilities, thats a joke. We got a great field and bleachers and thats it.

We dont even have a locker room or weight room at the school, we have to go to Cawood to practice and lift weights

Other teams dont have a dressing room at the filed or anywhere to go at half

other than our field we dont have any facilities

our principal is an idiot and should be fired for not getting our scores up on the state test

we were lucky to get a guy as good and dedicated as coach larkey, who would want to come to harlan co, we dont have anything here and only 1 road out of here, if you come here be prepared to stay here and when you have a losing season be ready to look for another job because our principal will be back to bowing down to parents
Bear booster Wrote:talk about our facilities, thats a joke. We got a great field and bleachers and thats it.

We dont even have a locker room or weight room at the school, we have to go to Cawood to practice and lift weights

Other teams dont have a dressing room at teh filed or anywhere to go at half

other than our field we dont have any facilities

our principal is an idiot and should be fired for not getting our scores up on the state test

we were lucky to get a guy as good and dedicated as coach larkey, who would want to come to harlan co, we dont have anything here and only 1 road out of here, if you come here be prepared to stay here and when you have a losing season be ready to look for another job because our principal will be back to bowing down to parents

I didnt know that.thats sad.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:Hello boys you think Jerry and Shawn are dumb@#$#@? They are set where they are not going to get fired for 2 bad season! Harlan Co. just fired a LEGEND FOR 2 BAD SEASONS!!!! What coach in his right mind that has a good situation will come there. You people that wanted the man gone have killed yourself for any coach that is a good one because he is going to look and say "em they just fired a guy named Tom Larky and he has won o about 200 or so games more than me" and then he wakes up!!!!!!

Just so you know, you have no idea why Larkey was fired. Hell, even HE doesn't know. There are a couple of scenarios here, do you replace a fired coach or do you fire a coach because someone else has already been chosen? We are at a wait and see kind of place, IMO.

Craze JACKET man Wrote:There must be more to the story!!!

We are ALL wanting to know this!!!

pjdoug Wrote:I didnt know that.thats sad.

Sometimes, when one is ignorant on a subject, it is better to listen instead of speaking.....at least until you are educated on the subject.
Hey Granny
Im curious as to what the school AD wsa in this, isnt this his job to fire and hire.
Kids don't want to play power football anymore. You can't run it off tackle 80% of the time and expect to get kids out. It took Whitley 3 coaches and 25 years to figure it out before they finally started kids out to play again with a spread offense and balanced attack.
My advice is hire somebody that's willing to think outside the box and somebody kids will like and want to play for. These legend coaches around here have realized there time is up. We see fewer of them every year
Bear booster Wrote:Hey Granny
Im curious as to what the school AD wsa in this, isnt this his job to fire and hire.

Isn't larkey the ad? Lol
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Isn't larkey the ad? Lol

coach larkey is the county AD not the school AD

So before you put you stupid lol on there you need to know before you speak
pjdoug Wrote:I didnt know that.thats sad.
Yes it is sad. Wonder where the money went for finishing the facilities? Should probably ask the school board..
None of the established Coaches will touch this job with a 10 foot pole. Tom is very well respected by other Coaches. If they will fire him over some BS they will do the same to anyone else. HC is not exactly a prime destination anyway. I hate it for the players and supporters who know football. This will hurt for a while.
This is such a sad situation. Just because a few disgruntled fans/parents,we now have lost the face of this program. Seems like we are headed back to the pre-consolidation days. I hope the best for this program. I agree a big named coach will not be walking through those doors. Our shinny field is just a facade,there is no real support from administration. Dont be shocked to see the Dragons benefit from this chaos and to be honest i hope they do.
Granny Bear Wrote:Just so you know, you have no idea why Larkey was fired. Hell, even HE doesn't know. There are a couple of scenarios here, do you replace a fired coach or do you fire a coach because someone else has already been chosen? We are at a wait and see kind of place, IMO.

We are ALL wanting to know this!!!

Sometimes, when one is ignorant on a subject, it is better to listen instead of speaking.....at least until you are educated on the subject.

one is probably not ignorant about the subject when one booster stated they dont have a weight room and one said that is sad.one ain't ignorant because one wishes the kids had a weight room on campus and didnt have to travel out the road to lift weights.
Demarcus ware Wrote:Yes it is sad. Wonder where the money went for finishing the facilities? Should probably ask the school board..

yeah it wouldn't take much to have a weight room
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Isn't larkey the ad? Lol

is there a chance he can re-hire himself?
I am happy to see HC get a fresh start in football. We have some great teams but never had a true contender for the state title. That is what this new school was touted to be at its inception and that is what I want to see. I agree Coach Larkey has been a great coach and deserves our respect but it was still time to move on. Every year no matter how good we were or our record was, our season ended when we faced a team that was as athletic as we were and they just put everyone in the box and stopped the run. We never had an answer for that. The Head Coach gets all the credit for each win and therefore he has to take the heat for each loss. It was time to do something different if we were to ever reach that mythical state champion level we were promised. Coach Larkey would have probably won the district again next season and lost by 40 in the third round of the playoffs. He may have even won 10 games again if he could get Belfry and Johnson county and bell county off the schedule. Maybe it is just me but I want more than that. Everyone has said that he fired because of a few unhappy parents. I can promise you it is not just a few and not only parents that were unhappy.
I hope this is fresh start for the Black Bears that will lead to some Championships.
Rollo14 Wrote:I am happy to see HC get a fresh start in football. We have some great teams but never had a true contender for the state title. That is what this new school was touted to be at its inception and that is what I want to see. I agree Coach Larkey has been a great coach and deserves our respect but it was still time to move on. Every year no matter how good we were or our record was, our season ended when we faced a team that was as athletic as we were and they just put everyone in the box and stopped the run. We never had an answer for that. The Head Coach gets all the credit for each win and therefore he has to take the heat for each loss. It was time to do something different if we were to ever reach that mythical state champion level we were promised. Coach Larkey would have probably won the district again next season and lost by 40 in the third round of the playoffs. He may have even won 10 games again if he could get Belfry and Johnson county and bell county off the schedule. Maybe it is just me but I want more than that. Everyone has said that he fired because of a few unhappy parents. I can promise you it is not just a few and not only parents that were unhappy.
I hope this is fresh start for the Black Bears that will lead to some Championships.
While im in total agreement standby for the fury thats to follow.
Rollo14 Wrote:I am happy to see HC get a fresh start in football. We have some great teams but never had a true contender for the state title. That is what this new school was touted to be at its inception and that is what I want to see. I agree Coach Larkey has been a great coach and deserves our respect but it was still time to move on. Every year no matter how good we were or our record was, our season ended when we faced a team that was as athletic as we were and they just put everyone in the box and stopped the run. We never had an answer for that. The Head Coach gets all the credit for each win and therefore he has to take the heat for each loss. It was time to do something different if we were to ever reach that mythical state champion level we were promised. Coach Larkey would have probably won the district again next season and lost by 40 in the third round of the playoffs. He may have even won 10 games again if he could get Belfry and Johnson county and bell county off the schedule. Maybe it is just me but I want more than that. Everyone has said that he fired because of a few unhappy parents. I can promise you it is not just a few and not only parents that were unhappy.

You live in delusion land and are'nt getting that type of coach. You are sitting here expecting to get an upgrade on a guy that will be in the hall of fame. There are only a handful of coaches who could be an upgrade on Larkey and they aren't coming there.

Well then we should just clean house with every coach of every sport, not one team we have has won a region championship except the football (2)times. With the consolidation of all these great athletes we are supposed to have and only the football team does any good and the coach gets fired for winning 8 games a yr.
What a bunch of hypocrites we have.
Bear booster Wrote:Well then we should just clean house with every coach of every sport, not one team we have has won a region championship except the football (2)times. With the consolidation of all these great athletes we are supposed to have and only the football team does any good and the coach gets fired for winning 8 games a yr.
I'm not sure how everyone is a hypocrite. We are on a football forum not those other sports. Admit it its over, the whining is unbelievable. The writing has been on the wall but everyone refused to see it. I hate saying it but I tried to tell you. Although I do agree the way it was done was cowardly..
Bear booster Wrote:Well then we should just clean house with every coach of every sport, not one team we have has won a region championship except the football (2)times. With the consolidation of all these great athletes we are supposed to have and only the football team does any good and the coach gets fired for winning 8 games a yr.

I see no viable argument that can be made in regards to your post.:Thumbs:
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next