Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
District Realignment
I'm a baseball purist. I believe in taking on all comers. That being said, with the way population densities are changing in KY, school consolidations, and so forth, classifications MAY need to happen. Do I think there should be 5 or 6 classes? No. But I would be in favor of say, a 3 class system that is something like 1 and 2A schools in one class, 3 and 4A in another, and 5 and 6A in the 3rd. That would balance it out somewhat. You could then have the final 4 for each class playing over the same timeframe at Whitaker to determine state champs in each class. That would allow sectionals, etc to be played more locally. But it will be very difficult to sell, since the "Sweet 16" format going on right now appears to be very popular overall (I'm a fan of it as well from a purist standpoint). Having a 3 class system like I proposed with the final 4 being at Whitaker, would also allow for much more competitive games since a break between the sections would allow all teams to have their 1 and 2 pitchers ready the throw off, ideally. Saves arms, makes depth not as much of an issue for EVERYONE, and still allows the cream to rise to the top via the sectionals. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with phsforever, JC is the only big school in the 15th region while there several 1a, now most of the time money makes a hugh difference. There is no way Paintsvilles budget for sports is anywhere near what JC budget is. Money buys the equipment, and training facility it allows teams to go play in SC, Fla, Ga, and the better teams in the west, most small schools don't have the budget for that. The larger the fan base has (students) that want to attend games the more money that school will make. That is why I think it so great when a Shelby Valley, Or A Paintsville win a state title. But I also think it is great when Betsy Lane wins a all A title, or belfry wins a 3a title. Just because you didn't beat a school with 3 times the students or 3 times the budget does make you less of a champion.
Commanche Wrote:I make it personal when you pm me and say I know who you are! That makes it personal and the way you all have acted as you know all about all at LC.

I love the comment that I don't care what they do with it! Now all of a sudden it isn't about the kids is it? If you read my post I was referring to basketball all along.

I have never been concerned with what the majority of the people do, I prefer to follow my own mind and conscience.

As for district realignment, you either have to have 3 or 5 team districts and neither is good or fair. Seed the region and do away with districts is my opinion.

Big thing there is I PM you. You reply in your posts making it personal, even putting things about married people having affairs. That's low, even for you.

Secondly, I meant nothing negative about knowing you. Just that I KNOW, and know some of your biases.

As for the reference to basketball, I thought I was on the baseball forum?????? Why should basketball even be considered in this proposal? It is on it's own. If their coaches vote to push for a class system in it, that's on them...not baseball!
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Big thing there is I PM you. You reply in your posts making it personal, even putting things about married people having affairs. That's low, even for you.

Secondly, I meant nothing negative about knowing you. Just that I KNOW, and know some of your biases.

As for the reference to basketball, I thought I was on the baseball forum?????? Why should basketball even be considered in this proposal? It is on it's own. If their coaches vote to push for a class system in it, that's on them...not baseball!

Yeah, and I will let you know that I know exactly who you are and you continue to prove it. Yanking your chain and you cant resist. If you really know who I am you understand why I lost respect for you in 2010.

As for married couples, it was a quip as I have no idea who Dawg Fan is to know the gender. It was purely amusement.

My point in providing basketball reference was that you would hopefully see the other side of the equation.

Pikeville has around 400 students and if coach would have bunted they would have been playing in the State Championship game in 2010. Still a Final Four was a great season.

LC I assume is less than 800 students and they dang near pulled it off in 2008. These references obviously arent 25 years old either.

Your opinion and research on the matter is respected, but I am not sure anyone elses opinion really matters to you.
It would be interesting to know how many students each school in the 15th region has enrolled. How do you find that info?
Leave basketball the way it is. That can be your one "different" thing from the rest of the world.

BUT, there is no reason that Softball, Baseball, and Volleyball shouldn't be classed. Theres not sense in 6A schools competing with 1A schools in these sports. Im not saying go to six classes either.
Go to THREE classes. Small, Medium, Large. Evenly divide the schools into three to get the classes.
I would rather be a big fish in a big pond than a big fish in a little pond. No wonder our kids are afraid to go out into the big world.
Commanche Wrote:I would rather be a big fish in a big pond than a big fish in a little pond. No wonder our kids are afraid to go out into the big world.

:biglmao: Yeah, classification has led to the decline of our youth and society.....:hilarious:

I mean only Kentucky teens are ready to go out in to the world because they play in a no-class system. The other states aren't preparing their children. :eyeroll:

And I'm glad that professional teams don't have things that even the playing field like.....salary caps.......:Thumbs:
Again every opinion other than those from Lotts Creek are stupid.

You can't shelter the youth from all the big city schools, I would rather teach them they can beat them. Can't whine every time you don't get your way.

Been to many state tournaments and the absolute average pitcher throws 83-85. Only a very few in the last few years could even touch 90. If our mountain kids can't hit that then so be it. It may have more to do with coaching talent than numbers. You can only play 9.
Commanche Wrote:Again every opinion other than those from Lotts Creek are stupid.

You can't shelter the youth from all the big city schools, I would rather teach them they can beat them. Can't whine every time you don't get your way.

Been to many state tournaments and the absolute average pitcher throws 83-85. Only a very few in the last few years could even touch 90. If our mountain kids can't hit that then so be it. It may have more to do with coaching talent than numbers. You can only play 9.

Where the **** is Lotts Creek? I'm familiar with many places in Lawrence County and have never heard of that place.
Lol in Knott and Perry! Wink wink!
Commanche Wrote:Again every opinion other than those from Lotts Creek are stupid.

I have seen several teams make it to the finals and win it with less than 85 MPH. If small schools are not able to compete with that then they shouldn't even be considered for a state title. I've seen some really average teams in other states walking around with state championships.

Why don't we just have a committee every year pick the best 16 teams regardless of region winners and then we can also have a "NIT type" tournament for everyone else. That should make everyone happy. Trophies all around!!
Commanche Wrote:Lol in Knott and Perry! Wink wink!

OK. I'm more familiar with Lick Creek in Lawrence County. :Thumbs:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Leave basketball the way it is. That can be your one "different" thing from the rest of the world.

BUT, there is no reason that Softball, Baseball, and Volleyball shouldn't be classed. Theres not sense in 6A schools competing with 1A schools in these sports. Im not saying go to six classes either.
Go to THREE classes. Small, Medium, Large. Evenly divide the schools into three to get the classes.

You do realize that 1A schools have it made? They not only can compete for a 1A state title, but also if they win region can compete for the regular state title. 1A schools should be the last ones wanting classes for baseball.
baseball1974 Wrote:I have seen several teams make it to the finals and win it with less than 85 MPH. If small schools are not able to compete with that then they shouldn't even be considered for a state title. I've seen some really average teams in other states walking around with state championships.

Why don't we just have a committee every year pick the best 16 teams regardless of region winners and then we can also have a "NIT type" tournament for everyone else. That should make everyone happy. Trophies all around!!

Nobody is saying hand out trophies. Just time to get rid of a system that favors the big schools. You may have seen "average" teams with state titles in other states. Maybe so. But there have been more above average or GREAT state champs in A, AA, AAA, or AAAA in other states as well.
He spent a lot of time researching this, let's agree with him.
baseball1974 Wrote:I have seen several teams make it to the finals and win it with less than 85 MPH. If small schools are not able to compete with that then they shouldn't even be considered for a state title. I've seen some really average teams in other states walking around with state championships.

Lol you know we can't do that lc wouldn't get out the district if the experts picked the teams.
baseball1974 Wrote:You do realize that 1A schools have it made? They not only can compete for a 1A state title, but also if they win region can compete for the regular state title. 1A schools should be the last ones wanting classes for baseball.

Of course 1A schools have made it. It has nothing to do with just 1A schools. Its not right for a 2A or 3A or even 4A school for that matter playing teams with over a thousand more kids to choose from.
Im a big school guy myself, but its ridiculous to expect small schools to compete on the same level as the private schools and large schools. While 1A schools might "make it", its a once in a hundred years type of thing for most of those small schools. Most 1A size schools have never won a region in these sports.
The "lets give everyone a trophy" is so outdated and sad excuse for people who have no better argument. Nobody is saying give everyone a trophy. Each school would still have to compete and have the team of there lives to reach and win a state title with only 3 classes. And exactly how does this hurt a big school anyways? Big schools still have to compete with other big schools, so its not like theyre losing the competition. They're all already beating the small schools, so I don't understand what is wrong with sending baseball and softball to 3 classes. The disadvantages of a school with a 100 kids compared to a school with 1500 kids is obvious. Break it up or continue having 15 people show up to baseball games. If not for football money, most schools wouldn't even play. Baseball and Softball are not huge deals in this state. I don't see anyone getting pissed and quit watching because of classing. Its just ignorant not too.
If you truly think classification is the answer, you have to break out public vs. private as well!
Apparently you haven't been around good programs. LC, JC, Paintsville and Pikeville all have good turnouts. The state tournament has great attendance, otherwise they might switch back to a sectional format.
A much simpler solution that could make both sides of the argument is by separating the post-season rounds. The biggest thing about the argument is lack of pitching depth. So if you can take the first round games and hold them at either Louisville, UK, EKU, etc. and then the following weekend is the quarterfinals at one of the other places, then semifinals and then the finals. That is an option, but the best format I've seen has been used in several other states. You can use the same locations, but you can condense it down to back-to-back weekends where the first round and quarterfinal games are played on a Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday, and then that following weekend the semifinals would be played on the first day and the championship on the second. This allows for teams to be able to win with only two main pitchers. It also allows for adjustments in case of rain. I remember when LC had to beat Catholic and then an hour later they were warming up for PRP in the state championship. PRP was able to get their game out of the way early that day and go rest at the hotel before the game. They made it very difficult for LC. I remember being in the press box and everyone being upset with how the format turned out, but they didn't have any other choice because of the Legends coming back to town. So if I'm writing a proposal about class systems and I know it's going to be shot down then throw out a compromise. In my opinion, having two rounds played one weekend and the semi's and finals played the following weekend would make both sides partially getting what they want.
As for district realignment, you either have to have 3 or 5 team districts and neither is good or fair. Seed the region and do away with districts is my opinion.[/QUOTE]

If we must have 3 or 5 team districts, why not start with the 60th and have Phelps, Belfry, and East Ridge??? This is not a jab at LC but they should not be in the 60th for any reason.
baseball1974 Wrote:A much simpler solution that could make both sides of the argument is by separating the post-season rounds. The biggest thing about the argument is lack of pitching depth. So if you can take the first round games and hold them at either Louisville, UK, EKU, etc. and then the following weekend is the quarterfinals at one of the other places, then semifinals and then the finals. That is an option, but the best format I've seen has been used in several other states. You can use the same locations, but you can condense it down to back-to-back weekends where the first round and quarterfinal games are played on a Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday, and then that following weekend the semifinals would be played on the first day and the championship on the second. This allows for teams to be able to win with only two main pitchers. It also allows for adjustments in case of rain. I remember when LC had to beat Catholic and then an hour later they were warming up for PRP in the state championship. PRP was able to get their game out of the way early that day and go rest at the hotel before the game. They made it very difficult for LC. I remember being in the press box and everyone being upset with how the format turned out, but they didn't have any other choice because of the Legends coming back to town. So if I'm writing a proposal about class systems and I know it's going to be shot down then throw out a compromise. In my opinion, having two rounds played one weekend and the semi's and finals played the following weekend would make both sides partially getting what they want.
This is the best option I have heard. Have you been researching too?
specialteams5 Wrote:As for district realignment, you either have to have 3 or 5 team districts and neither is good or fair. Seed the region and do away with districts is my opinion.

If we must have 3 or 5 team districts, why not start with the 60th and have Phelps, Belfry, and East Ridge??? This is not a jab at LC but they should not be in the 60th for any reason.[/QUOTE]
LC geographically fits in the 16th better due to travel. If they are gonna be in the 15th the 57th makes the most sense. I do think it is rediculous that they play Phelps and either team has to travel for 2 hours to play a district game.

The 15th only has 15 teams so either a 3 or 5 team is inevitible.
Commanche Wrote:If we must have 3 or 5 team districts, why not start with the 60th and have Phelps, Belfry, and East Ridge??? This is not a jab at LC but they should not be in the 60th for any reason.
LC geographically fits in the 16th better due to travel. If they are gonna be in the 15th the 57th makes the most sense. I do think it is rediculous that they play Phelps and either team has to travel for 2 hours to play a district game.

The 15th only has 15 teams so either a 3 or 5 team is inevitible.[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a geography lesson. Figure up the travel for LC in the 16th compared to the 15th. You'll find that there are MORE closer schools in the 15th in proximity to LC than there are in the 16th.

For example: Paintsville, JC, Magoffin, Sheldon Clark, and Prestonsburg are all within a 1 hour drive or less from Louisa. Allen Central is a bit over an hour.

In the 16th: Boyd, Ashland, Russell, and East Carter are right at about 1 hour, with Boyd being about 45 minutes. Then you get in to the Raceland and Greenup at between 1:15-1:30 from Louisa (comparable to Pikeville, PCC, Belfry trips). Then when you factor in West Carter, Morgan, Lewis, Elliot, and Rowan you are at or OVER 1:30 drive from Louisa.

In the 15th, the only drive that long would be East Ridge, Phelps, and maybe a Shelby Valley.

So to say that LC is a "natural fit" for the 16th is not doing your research…..:Thumbs:

And, no, I am not the guy you think I am for the 100th time. I'm just a guy that has a bit more knowledge and am able to do some homework on topics before spewing opinions that have no founding other than "well it's best". :eyeroll:
45 minutes from Louisa to Boyd? I don't think so. Your longest trip in the16th region is to Rowan and Morgan which one will take you an hour and fifteen minutes and the other an hour and a half. Everything else is under an hour. A simple google search will tell you that. Regardless, you don't have to play all of them. Just like you don't have to play east ridge if you don't want, and they're further than anyone in the 16th from Louisa. LC has to drive well over an hour and a half just to get to a district game. That's crazy. LC has no business in the 15th, but I do think they definetely make the 15th region stronger overall.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:LC geographically fits in the 16th better due to travel. If they are gonna be in the 15th the 57th makes the most sense. I do think it is rediculous that they play Phelps and either team has to travel for 2 hours to play a district game.

Do yourself a geography lesson. Figure up the travel for LC in the 16th compared to the 15th. You'll find that there are MORE closer schools in the 15th in proximity to LC than there are in the 16th.

For example: Paintsville, JC, Magoffin, Sheldon Clark, and Prestonsburg are all within a 1 hour drive or less from Louisa. Allen Central is a bit over an hour.

In the 16th: Boyd, Ashland, Russell, and East Carter are right at about 1 hour, with Boyd being about 45 minutes. Then you get in to the Raceland and Greenup at between 1:15-1:30 from Louisa (comparable to Pikeville, PCC, Belfry trips). Then when you factor in West Carter, Morgan, Lewis, Elliot, and Rowan you are at or OVER 1:30 drive from Louisa.

In the 15th, the only drive that long would be East Ridge, Phelps, and maybe a Shelby Valley.

So to say that LC is a "natural fit" for the 16th is not doing your research…..:Thumbs:

And, no, I am not the guy you think I am for the 100th time. I'm just a guy that has a bit more knowledge and am able to do some homework on topics before spewing opinions that have no founding other than "well it's best". :eyeroll:
Yeah schools out and baseball is over, what else do you have to do but lay in the sun and research. :Thumbs:

When LC was in the 16th your district was Boyd, Rose Hill and Ashland of which none are over 30 minutes away unless you ride horse and buggy. 17 miles to from I64 at Catlettsburg to Louisa I assure you. Your current District Pike Central and Belfry are at a minimum 1 hour away and Phelps has got to be around 1 hour and 45 minutes away. LC plays many games out of the region so you wouldnt have to play all the other 16th region teams unless you choose to.

Apparently as broken down above I am not nearly as geographically challenged as you suppose.

Work on your tan and do a little more research. You will be filing all that Title IX paperwork in July so you will be busy then.:biglmao:
baseball1974 Wrote:45 minutes from Louisa to Boyd? I don't think so. Your longest trip in the16th region is to Rowan and Morgan which one will take you an hour and fifteen minutes and the other an hour and a half. Everything else is under an hour. A simple google search will tell you that. Regardless, you don't have to play all of them. Just like you don't have to play east ridge if you don't want, and they're further than anyone in the 16th from Louisa. LC has to drive well over an hour and a half just to get to a district game. That's crazy. LC has no business in the 15th, but I do think they definetely make the 15th region stronger overall.

According to mileage, Morgan, Rowan, Lewis, and Fleming are all between 75-100 miles from Louisa. Although the time may be quicker thanks to I-64 and US 23, they are still all at or over 1:30. Greenup and Raceland are between 55-65 miles from Louisa. Going from Bulldog Lane traveling on US 23 and I-64 to Boyd County High School would be right at about 40 minutes (I'm estimating on a school bus, not a car).

East Ridge is 88 miles from Louisa. Phelps is 71 miles. Belfry is 53 miles and PCC is 70 miles.

This old argument of "Lawrence doesn't belong in the 15th" is old and ridiculous. The travel (mileage) is way better for LC, plus they always play Belfry and PCC each year, so it doesn't matter about how much they have to travel for a district seeded game. They travel it once a year when they were in the 57th district, didn't they?

Fact is that if LC would have came in to the 15th region in 2006 and had little to no success, we wouldn't be hearing about this at all. LC being in the 15th does make it better overall.
baseball1974 Wrote:45 minutes from Louisa to Boyd? I don't think so. Your longest trip in the16th region is to Rowan and Morgan which one will take you an hour and fifteen minutes and the other an hour and a half. Everything else is under an hour. A simple google search will tell you that. Regardless, you don't have to play all of them. Just like you don't have to play east ridge if you don't want, and they're further than anyone in the 16th from Louisa. LC has to drive well over an hour and a half just to get to a district game. That's crazy. LC has no business in the 15th, but I do think they definetely make the 15th region stronger overall.

Sorry I reiterated some of your dialogue above, however just trying to get LCH straight on his mileage before he gets lost. If he researched maps the same as he has the class system he could be a travel guide.

LC does make the 15th stronger no doubt, but they add a little whine to the show as well.:lmao:
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:According to mileage, Morgan, Rowan, Lewis, and Fleming are all between 75-100 miles from Louisa. Although the time may be quicker thanks to I-64 and US 23, they are still all at or over 1:30. Greenup and Raceland are between 55-65 miles from Louisa. Going from Bulldog Lane traveling on US 23 and I-64 to Boyd County High School would be right at about 40 minutes (I'm estimating on a school bus, not a car).

East Ridge is 88 miles from Louisa. Phelps is 71 miles. Belfry is 53 miles and PCC is 70 miles.

This old argument of "Lawrence doesn't belong in the 15th" is old and ridiculous. The travel (mileage) is way better for LC, plus they always play Belfry and PCC each year, so it doesn't matter about how much they have to travel for a district seeded game. They travel it once a year when they were in the 57th district, didn't they?

Fact is that if LC would have came in to the 15th region in 2006 and had little to no success, we wouldn't be hearing about this at all. LC being in the 15th does make it better overall.

Haha! Mileage isn't what I'm referring to. I'm referring to the drive time. I use to be able to throw a rock and hit the interstate from my bedroom when I was little, but it still took us five minutes to drive to the ramp. I think the whole class system argument and proposal has a lot to do with the same reasons LC wanted to move to the 15th. They want to be able to bring home the hardware without beating the best teams.