•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill Football 2007
Neersfan Wrote:I think that some of our opponents would take offense to your lack of respect for their team. Do you play?
And I care if they take offense, lol....Truth is the truth and stats don't lie pal!
:igiveup:
RUNNING DOWNHILL Wrote:LET'S TRY TO REMAIN CIVIL. A good rivalry on occasion tends to bring out the worst in all of us. BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF HAND, let's not begin to trade insults. There are a whole lot of ?????? to begin this season on both sides of the county line. Rivalries are best when the desire to beat the opponent is equaled with respect for the game and the opposition. With that being said, there is nothing better than pulling out a big W against your neighbor, and also a district opponent obtaining bragging rights for the year, not to mention the playoff implications.
Big Grin
Estill 2007

Pineville
Bourbon County
Powell County
Breathitt County
Fleming County
Berea
Phelps
Open
Cawood
Magoffin County
Knott County Central

Powell 2007

Jackson Co.
Morgan Co.
Estill Co.
Fleming Co.
Lewis Co.
Bath Co.
Cawood
Betsy Lane
Breathitt County
Berea
Open

There's the two schedules, honestly Powell's schedule is significantly weaker than Estill's with no disrespect towards Powell's opponents, it's not an opinion it's a fact.
Breathitt Co, Cawood and Fleming Co are the only definite losses I see. So you are looking at 6-7 possible wins.
I agree bigpun! I mean, I like Estill County, and like Coach Jones and hope that they do well this season! Best of Luck boys!
Lucky13 Wrote:Estill 2007

Pineville
Bourbon County
Powell County
Breathitt County
Fleming County
Berea
Phelps
Open
Cawood
Magoffin County
Knott County Central

Powell 2007

Jackson Co.
Morgan Co.
Estill Co.
Fleming Co.
Lewis Co.
Bath Co.
Cawood
Betsy Lane
Breathitt County
Berea
Open

There's the two schedules, honestly Powell's schedule is significantly weaker than Estill's with no disrespect towards Powell's opponents, it's not an opinion it's a fact.
I disagree, Bath and Morgan are alot better than Bourbon and Phelps. Lewis is better than Magoffin as well.
Pineville W
Bourbon W
Powell L
Breathitt L
Fleming L
Berea W
Phelps L
Cawood L
Magoffin L
Knott L
This is without a DOUBT the softest schedule in Estill's history. If they can't win 8 or 9games, they may need to revisit changes in the program.
The records from the teams they played last year does not prove Powell's schedule is significantly weaker, not trying to be disrespectful. I looked them up.
Estill has 3 yds. and a cloud of dust everybody they have played. Unfortunately the other teams have only used 1 play to score. Think about this, if Estill doesn't score every posession, they get behind quick and that is not good by any means.
F.N.L. Wrote:The records from the teams they played last year does not prove Powell's schedule is significantly weaker, not trying to be disrespectful. I looked them up.

Powell and Estill both have Berea on their schedule. Here's how the other's stack up.....

Powell plays

1. Jackson Co. -- 2-8
JC's wins-- Hancock Co. TN. (0-4) Evang. Christ. (0-10)

2. Morgan Co.-- 2-8
MC's wins-- Powell 1-9/win vs Phelps record of 1-9) Lewis 2-8/ win vs
Estill 3-7, Powell 1-9

3. Lewis Co. -- 2-8
LC's wins-- Estill 3-7/win vs Powell 1-9, Morgan 2-8, West 5-5
Powell 1-9/win vs Phelps 1-9

4. Betsy Layne-- 1-9
BL's wins-- Powell 1-9/ win vs. Phelps 1-9

Estill Plays

1. Pineville -- 3-7
Pville's wins Jackson Co. 2-8/ win vs Hancock 0-10, Ev. Ch 0-10
Berea 1-9/ win vs Hancock 0-10
Bet. Ln. 1-9/ win vs Powell 1-9

2. Phelps -- 2-8
Phelps wins S. Floyd 3-7/ win vs Magoffin 3-7, Jackson 2-8, Powell 1-9
Btsy. Ln. 1-9 win vs Powell 1-9

3. Magoffin Co. -- 3-7
Magoffin wins Allen Cent. 3-7/ win vs BlL 1-9, Phelps 1-9, South Fl. 3-7
Betsy Ln. 1-9/ win vs. Powell 1-9
East Ridge 2-8/ win vs South Fl 3-7, Phelps 1-9

4. Knott Co. -- 3-7
Knott's Wins Jenkins 4-6/ win vs Phelps 1-9, S. Floyd 3-7, All. Cent. 3-7, BL 1-9
Magoffin 3-7/ win vs AC 3-7, BL 1-9, East Ridge 2-8
Allen Cent. 3-7/ win vs BL 1-9, Phelps 1-9, South Fl. 3-7

Bath for Powell and Bourbon for Estill are the other teams on the schedule.....
They are somewhat of anomolies. Where although Bourbon went 0-10, they were 3a and had the misfortune of being in a very tough dist. and some very poor non dist. scheduling. (Campbell co. Rock, West Jess., East Jess, Harrison, Lex. Cath, Franklin Co.. Where Bath is a very good single A team. They beat West in a very tight game by some accounts on this site 35-25, but Estill beat west 36-15.

Here's the stats, the last part about Bourbon and Bath are more opinion, but you could argue that the schedules are somewhat similar. Why would a team that does not have a lot of success is recent past want to schedule more upper teir teams while they are trying to build back up. Success breeds success, I think one should work thier way up the ladder. Rome wasn't built in a day.
I remember when Estill could not fill a schedule because of the physical beating they put on teams. Estill played all teams and never dropped anyone. Instead of staying a contender with top teams and making the playoffs, they have resorted to playing a very weak schedule and dropping anyone who has beat them in order to win. This is fine go 8-2 then get killed first round of playoffs because you have not prepared for playoff competition. As for Powell, I feel they are in the best position possible for the football program. They should find success this year with their schedule and next year start looking to pick up higher caliber teams. You can't play weak schedules and expect to do anything in the playoffs. Take a look at Russell's, Breathitt's, Rockastle, Boyles, schedules for example.
The KSD is on hold incase they need to schedule them next year! Softest schedule in 3A.
In 03' Estill was 8-3. They only lost 6 players off that team and went 3-7 the following year losing to not so very good teams other than Russell.
The 3 teams you have mentioned are not or were not exactly a threat in the past! Footballs bounce funny ways!
F.N.L. Wrote:I remember when Estill could not fill a schedule because of the physical beating they put on teams. Estill played all teams and never dropped anyone. Instead of staying a contender with top teams and making the playoffs, they have resorted to playing a very weak schedule and dropping anyone who has beat them in order to win. This is fine go 8-2 then get killed first round of playoffs because you have not prepared for playoff competition. As for Powell, I feel they are in the best position possible for the football program. They should find success this year with their schedule and next year start looking to pick up higher caliber teams. You can't play weak schedules and expect to do anything in the playoffs. Take a look at Russell's, Breathitt's, Rockastle, Boyles, schedules for example.

hey fnl thats wat where out to do again and the past is the past and forget about this is now and where comin back to make a team that the best teams wont wanna play because we are going to pur a beatin on any team that gets in our way trample the weak hurdle the dead thats our moto
F.N.L. Wrote:The KSD is on hold incase they need to schedule them next year! Softest schedule in 3A.

You might want to know that based on the change in the classes the schedule was pretty well made up by the end of last season. Also know this fact that we dropped no one from our schedule they dropped us for their new district and all of the other teams that are on the schedule this year called us up to play when we were sitting at 0-5 last season. All of a sudden Estill's not a push over and some people are worried. Whether you like us or don't like get used to us because we will be in your face every week on here and in the paper!:ChairHit:
F.N.L. Wrote:I remember when Estill could not fill a schedule because of the physical beating they put on teams. Estill played all teams and never dropped anyone. Instead of staying a contender with top teams and making the playoffs, they have resorted to playing a very weak schedule and dropping anyone who has beat them in order to win. This is fine go 8-2 then get killed first round of playoffs because you have not prepared for playoff competition. As for Powell, I feel they are in the best position possible for the football program. They should find success this year with their schedule and next year start looking to pick up higher caliber teams. You can't play weak schedules and expect to do anything in the playoffs. Take a look at Russell's, Breathitt's, Rockastle, Boyles, schedules for example.

Speaking of these teams of the past, have they (Estill) ever won a playoff game??

How can it be that Powell and Estill's schedule's are similar and Estill's is sooo weak, and Powell's is putting them in the best position for the program? In the previous post, I was trying to state that if you've had a rough stretch, why keep scheduling the upper teir teams and get beat down, which kills morale and numbers. Schedule some teams to allow for success then build your way up. Remember most games are 2 year contracts. In the past 4 to 5 years Estill's non dist. schedule has been limited because of the large district. They've played Belfrey, Bellvue (which beat Beechwood year before last) Clay Co. Rockastle.
Done a little research myself, Estill has won 1 playoff game in the past, in 1995 vs. Anderson Co. 21-13. Estill was an 8-2 two seed and Anderson was a 5-5 three seed.
Also in this research, I couldn't help but notice that these brutal teams of the past that played only the best had some weak sisters on their schedule also, and also had some 0-10
2-8 seasons????

I'm not trying to say that Estill's schedule is tough, it is what it is......Like one said it's a good point to build from. There are at least a couple of good teams on there for all of us to find out where these young Neers stand. Who knows.

Speaking of the 8-2 team of 03, that beat Russell, going into the playoffs Estill was a four seed playing Lloyd which was a one seed. In the second round Lloyd beat Fleming 63-28, round 3 beat Russell 30-12, and got beat in the semi's by eventual state champion Belfrey 21-13.
Pineville- Possible win
Bourbon- Possible win
Powell- Possible win
Breathitt- Definite Loss
Fleming- Definite Loss
Berea- Possible win
Phelps- Possible win
Cawood- Possible win
Magoffin-Possible win
Knott-Possible win

All of the possible wins depend on Estill's injury total staying down and their penalties staying down. It will take almost flawless football to win these 8 possibles.
Go a little deeper in your research. The teams in the district the year you are talking about were : Rockastle, Corbin, Somerset, Wayne, Madison Southern, Powell and Estill. The off teams were Pineville(weak), Magoffin(when they were decent, Caba at QB), Breathitt(1995 State Champions). They lost to Rockastle away, Breathitt away, and Danville away in the 2nd Round of the playoffs which played Breathitt in the Semifinals of the state. I have been watching EASTERN Kentucky football a long time and I think it is the best ball in the state. I am not knocking the kids, they don't control the schedule. The 03' team if they had ANY DEFENSE or could pass when needed would have been playing Belfry in the semi's!
Where are those teams you mentioned? They could renew the contracts instead of driving 2-3 hours to play Phelps and Knott Co.
The 03' team BEAT Russell??? Lost to East Carter and Fleming??? They were not very consistant.
Both East Carter and Fleming were 8-2 that year.
They both lost to Russell! I can't remember who else. East Carter usually is not a power house, that was a two team district, Russell and Fleming. Fleming I think lost to Mason also that year. Fleming is usually a consistant playoff team going out in the 2nd Round. Why did Fleming leave their district to go to a different one with longer travel (Cawood). They were always competing w/ Russell for 1st place. I don't think they are going to have better luck competing w/ Breathitt????
They were pretty good that year, and historically they are usually a 5-7 wins a year team.
That is the year that they had that big lineman that went on to UK to start as a Fresh. (not 100% on the starting, but had significant PT if he didn't) Carter, I think was his name.
Powell Co has never had a quality coach I can think of. I don't know if they have ever won more than 5 games in a year. Estill Co on the other hand has been in tough districts, played tough teams outside the district constantly in the past. Up untill 95' you mentioned they were always pretty respected. I looked up some of the last couple years, have they won 30 games the last 8-9 years? I don't think they are playing Danville, Scott Co, Clay Co, Jessamine Co, Rockastle Co anymore.
That was a tough district on 03. Even though Estill was 8-2, they were the 4 seed. A testament to how tough that district was that year. 1 seed Russell beat 4 North Oldham 21-6/ 2 seed Fleming beat Mercer 42-35/ 3 seed East Carter beat Newport 45-6 / 4 seed Estill lost to Lloyd 62-28. 2nd round Lloyd beats Fleming 63-28, 3rd round Lloyd beats Russell 30-12. You may call Estill beating Russell and losing to Fleming and East not consistant, but maybe it could be that Russell was the one not being consistant, overlooking Estill and getting thier only district loss ever in that district.
F.N.L. Wrote:They both lost to Russell! I can't remember who else. East Carter usually is not a power house, that was a two team district, Russell and Fleming. Fleming I think lost to Mason also that year. Fleming is usually a consistant playoff team going out in the 2nd Round. Why did Fleming leave their district to go to a different one with longer travel (Cawood). They were always competing w/ Russell for 1st place. I don't think they are going to have better luck competing w/ Breathitt????

Fleming was asked to move to even out the districts. If Fleming would have stayed in their old district that would have made a 6 team district (Russell, Mason, East Carter, West Carter, Lewis and Fleming). The other district would have had 4 teams (Breathitt, Estill, Powell, and Cawood) with Cawood leaving, possibly after 1 year. Fleming County already played Breathittt, Powell, and Estill and they were geographically closer to them than any other team in their old district. Now you have two 5 team districts and even if Cawood leaves, the district will still be full (4 teams). So, I don't think Fleming chose Breathitt over Russell, it just worked out that way.
Russell has definately proved they have fixed their inconsistancy. My point is, how can you beat that good of a team and struggle w/ the rest of that district: Morgan, West Carter, Lewis, this is inconsistant. A solid team would roll in that district year in and year out.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next