Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 7 Paintsville 4 (57TH District Tourney)
First congrats to JC on the win. I am a Tiger fan, but if we can't go any farther in the quest for a state title, I support my County as well. I wanted to get that out of the way because I didn't want the rest of my comment to take anything away from that.

Secondly, I am ususally one who only gets on to read threats not comment. But State 1 made a comment earlier in the discusion that seemed to discredit the future of Tiger Baseball and I could not go without putting my two cents in. If anyone thinks that Tiger baseball does not have a bright future, they obviously have not seen the younger Tigers play. State 1 mentioned Lyons, Butcher and Zack V. These boys are talented players and will be part of the backbone of the team for the next few years as will some of the other underclassmen on the team, as it should be. But to make the comment about the Tigers obviously not having the talent over the next few years as in years past, or the comment about keeping the Tiger name respectful, just shows me that this person has obviously not seen the younger Tigers play. Just off the top of my head (I don't mean to leave anyone out and if I do I apologize): there are two upcoming Sophs., lefty pitcher Zach Jackson and Shey Spencer and several upcoming Freshman, Sublett, Stewart, Moore, Daniels, VanHoose, who have played baseball since they were able to hold a baseball and have been quite sucessful throughout the years that will be ready to step up and make their contributions to the team.

As a Tiger fan am not worried in the least about our future. Go Big Blue!!!
INSIGHT Wrote:They weren't stealing off the catcher a couple of times the baserunner was halfway to second before the pitch got to the catcher....also did you see any pitch outs called so those aren't on the catcher....Paintsville was out coached in many respects but at the same time some of these players everyone thinks that have so much talent have to occasionally step up to the plate and show it.
and I'm not talking about grimm or adams
you figure that you should have a chance to win scoring 4 runs with your ace on the mound but in these district matchups paintsville vs jchs the outcome is usually unpredictable...... poor management of baserunners and misplayed bunts from the usual suspects whom should not have been on the field has led to what feels like a very unsuccessful season for the tigers and had long before this game torn the team apart internally....there have been big problems on that team since the first of the year...

I wasn't blaming the catcher on the situations I was talking about. If a runner goes on first movement with that big of a lead it is impossible for a catcher to throw even the slowest runners out. Adams' didn't have a shot. I think that, and the umpires relentless strike zone, really killed the Tigers. I don't mind an umpire being tight, but whenever you force both pitchers to throw strikes right down the middle of the plate, it's going to be a high scoring game. Conley nor Grimm was getting any corners all night. JC just took advantage of it a lot more than Paintsville did. I agree with what you are saying as well with the statement that some of the players who are suppose to have a lot of talent just didn't come through. A few did, but for the most part they have really laid an egg here lately.
state 1 Wrote:I know it looks like I am bashing Coach Howard, and really I don't mean to. I know he has made some several decisions in the past that have cost his team some ballgames..... as all beginning/young coached do.

I think there are some underlying factors that limit his decisionmaking abilities in certain situations.

I honestly believe after 2 more years pass, if he can last that long, he will be able to focus on the team as a whole, and be as good as any coach in the Region.

That is what worries me, what happens to this team and the guys who return to play under him for the next 2 years? His entire focus this season has been about his brother in law pitching and playing first, a position that should have been Grimm's when he was not on the mound (instead of using Grimm as a DH or left field IMO). Sure he kept Grimm's bat in the game one way or the other but you short change your ballclub with his glove and his quickness being off the defensive field. Sad to say but I think his focus will continue to be there for the next 2 years because I think his family will see to that.

This ball club started showing signs of fracture last season and it has splintered this season. Howard had no respect from both fans or players and yet he did not even attempt to bridge the gap and repair the damage. If this school system wants to bring this program back to the top of the pinnacle it needs to have someone at the helm who is not in it for personal reasons.
Congratulations to JCHS…Good luck in the finals!!
Paintsville simply got out coached in this game. Coach Hall knew how weak PHS corners were and took advantage of that. PHS has had a very talented group of boys the last 3 years and the coach was unable to lead them to the next level of play. It is very disappointing. It has been a long year of questions this year. Positions were given and not earned, which puts a cloud over the entire team. Stats meant nothing, no organization, no game plan, no thought process for anything, no motivation for the team.
Proud of the Paintsville boys and what they were able to accomplish this season. Runner up in the All “A” was a huge feat. I know they are disheartened and discouraged, but the season is over and time to move on. We love you guys!
What happens from here? I hope there is a light at the end of this long tunnel.
Gatortater Wrote:Congratulations to JCHS…Good luck in the finals!!
Paintsville simply got out coached in this game. Coach Hall knew how weak PHS corners were and took advantage of that. PHS has had a very talented group of boys the last 3 years and the coach was unable to lead them to the next level of play. It is very disappointing. It has been a long year of questions this year. Positions were given and not earned, which puts a cloud over the entire team. Stats meant nothing, no organization, no game plan, no thought process for anything, no motivation for the team.
Proud of the Paintsville boys and what they were able to accomplish this season. Runner up in the All “A” was a huge feat. I know they are disheartened and discouraged, but the season is over and time to move on. We love you guys!

I hope there is to. Paintsville needs someone who will work on and off the field with these kids. They need discipline and committment from coach as well as the players. It goes both way. I think if you have a coach who leads his team by example with his actions and shows his team that he is prepared for every game, then it will therefore carry over to the players, and they will take their approach to their game that way as well. I wish everybody luck on the Paintsville squad.

I know in a lot of cases around the state when kids get in these situations they sometimes transfer. Is there any talk about kids on Paintsville's team wanting to up-route and move because of this, or is it just something that will pass-over?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I wasn't blaming the catcher on the situations I was talking about. If a runner goes on first movement with that big of a lead it is impossible for a catcher to throw even the slowest runners out. Adams' didn't have a shot. I think that, and the umpires relentless strike zone, really killed the Tigers. I don't mind an umpire being tight, but whenever you force both pitchers to throw strikes right down the middle of the plate, it's going to be a high scoring game. Conley nor Grimm was getting any corners all night. JC just took advantage of it a lot more than Paintsville did. I agree with what you are saying as well with the statement that some of the players who are suppose to have a lot of talent just didn't come through. A few did, but for the most part they have really laid an egg here lately.

JRS,
Just an observation, but I was wondering how long it would take you to put part of the blame for the loss on the "blue crew". Big Grin I had a feeling this was coming....just surprised it took you so long...Smile
Well I think alot of it was when JC had runners on 1st and 3rd and they was trying to get them to get the runner on first in a run down so the runner on 3rd could score. Now that was in the 1st inning,. Not sure about the rest of the game but they did the smart thing by not doing it. I know LC has used that samething about 4 or 5 times this year and scored 4 or 5 times. SO it all comes down to weather or not they were told not to throw down or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Well I think alot of it was when JC had runners on 1st and 3rd and they was trying to get them to get the runner on first in a run down so the runner on 3rd could score. Now that was in the 1st inning,. Not sure about the rest of the game but they did the smart thing by not doing it. I know LC has used that samething about 4 or 5 times this year and scored 4 or 5 times. SO it all comes down to weather or not they were told not to throw down or not.
:confused:

Yeah, they tried the delayed steal one time, and Paintsville did not go for the bait. What in the heck has that got to do with anything? It had no bearing at all on any aspect of the game.
Mr.Kimball Wrote::confused:

Yeah, they tried the delayed steal one time, and Paintsville did not go for the bait. What in the heck has that got to do with anything? It had no bearing at all on any aspect of the game.

Ummm yea they was talking about all the stolen bases JC had so yea it did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Ummm yea they was talking about all the stolen bases JC had so yea it did.

Yeah, like about 25 posts ago.Smile
Lefty Wrote:This team cannot take another year under this coach.

What another 20+ win season, another trip to applebees in the all a, or whatever? I just can't understand why everyone bashes coach Howard on here. Maybe he can't take another year with all the other coaches that he has outside the field. Who could possibly replace him and have that much success? If there are any suggestions please pm me, I would love to know what the thought process is over there!
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:Seth Alex caught every ball that was thrown to him. The ball that Grimm threw away when he tried to pick over was on Grimm not Rice. So I wouldn't try to blame Rice for them stealing bases. Grimm needed to throw over and go at different paces toward the plate so the Eagles couldn't time what he was doing everytime.

Yeah and the ball could have been caught if an attempt would have been made. I'm not blamin Seth Alex for Paintsville losin so don't even go there. Seth Alex didn't hit for everybody on the team, he didn't miss any balls in the outfield, he didn't walk 5 guys and hit one. Yes you can put some blame on him for JC stealin so many bases. It's like I said before, JC was goin on first movement because Hall knew Seth wasn't fast enough to catch it, turn, get his feet set, and have a strong enough arm to throw em out if Grimmy did try to pick em off. I will say that Grimmy didn't have to make any pick-off attempts, he could have simply just stepped off the rubber and kept em honest over there. As for Grimmy's "pace" toward the plate, that's just the way he pitches, you gotta do what's comfortable and a slower approach is his style.
Eagle Eye Wrote:What another 20+ win season, another trip to applebees in the all a, or whatever? I just can't understand why everyone bashes coach Howard on here. Maybe he can't take another year with all the other coaches that he has outside the field. Who could possibly replace him and have that much success? If there are any suggestions please pm me, I would love to know what the thought process is over there!

Well I like coach Howard, I don't always agree with some of his decisions, BUT, with the talent Paintsville has had the last 3 years any other coach in the region would have won 20+ games a season too, lol.
KHSAA Blue Wrote:JRS,
Just an observation, but I was wondering how long it would take you to put part of the blame for the loss on the "blue crew". Big Grin I had a feeling this was coming....just surprised it took you so long...Smile

Why don't you wake up and actually read what I put down. I was not blaming the game either way. If you would pay attention you would see that I said it really killed BOTH PITCHERS in the game not just one. The strike zone was extremely tight all game and they were forced to throw the ball right down the middle. However, I am pretty sure I mentioned that it was for both teams. Never once did I blame them losing the game on the umpires. I swear man everyone of you umpires in this region are so sensitive.
Congrats to JCHS and PHS! Both teams have great players and coaches; however, with the talent that they have they could be both be undefeatable teams (with instruction)! Coach Shawn Hall did a very good job "outcoaching" Coach Tucker Howard. I think I would have been ready for the bunts, especially after the second one? Kudos to Shawn Hall. I know that JCHS has had a tough season with no field, etc., but I think there is alot to be said about losing players, who are seniors, and who have been dedicated to the team from the beginning of their HS careers and played ball ever since they could pick one up. I realize at the end of the day it is all about winning (district/regionals) but these kids are all great kids and do not need to be treated so poorly by Coach Howard or Coach Hall or any Coach for that matter. How many of them are going to play at the next level of baseball? How many of them have the talent to go play college ball and somewhere along the way are overlooked and underplayed, therefore a college will not even look at them? How many of them are very good and capable players, play for the love of the game, and never see the field even when it is an obvious mercy game? These Coaches need to have just a little bit of compassion/respect for their players. These kids are all part of the team and everyone is important in some way to that team and they need to know that! Good luck JCHS and PHS doesn't have one thing to be ashamed of!!!! Great season Tigers. My intention is not to offend anyone, only to speak my mind and give my little bit of advice and praise to the players and coaches of both teams.Wink
Congrats to the Eagles. You believed in yourselves and it paid off!
Lefty Wrote:That is what worries me, what happens to this team and the guys who return to play under him for the next 2 years? His entire focus this season has been about his brother in law pitching and playing first, a position that should have been Grimm's when he was not on the mound (instead of using Grimm as a DH or left field IMO). Sure he kept Grimm's bat in the game one way or the other but you short change your ballclub with his glove and his quickness being off the defensive field. Sad to say but I think his focus will continue to be there for the next 2 years because I think his family will see to that.

This ball club started showing signs of fracture last season and it has splintered this season. Howard had no respect from both fans or players and yet he did not even attempt to bridge the gap and repair the damage. If this school system wants to bring this program back to the top of the pinnacle it needs to have someone at the helm who is not in it for personal reasons.

When Paintsville won the 15th All A and went to the finals of the State All A, why wasn't everyone blasting Tucker at that time. Funny how a loss to their cross town rivals will change opinions. Face it Big Blue Fans, Tucker will be over the baseball program for a long time because the "power" that be wants it that way.
THOMCAT Wrote:When Paintsville won the 15th All A and went to the finals of the State All A, why wasn't everyone blasting Tucker at that time. Funny how a loss to their cross town rivals will change opinions. Face it Big Blue Fans, Tucker will be over the baseball program for a long time because the "power" that be wants it that way.

I think there were still problems even then, it was just not a good idea to bring that stuff up before the season is even over. It could have cause an even bigger problem, but now people probably feel like they can say whatever because the season is now over. It would be a shame if the majority of the people there want him and just because of politics it wouldn't be able to happen.
Good coaches can still make mistakes! I don't want to comment on the 1st baseman issue as everyone has an opinion. I believe that the coaches for Paintsville maybe let JC's staff get the upper hand in this game, but the Tigers just didn't deliver the goods. Baseball games are won by fielding and batting and the Tiger batting has not been that great lately. These two teams could play 10 times and split. It just worked out that JC won and it is unfortunate that both can't go to the region. Otherwise it is no big deal. The Tigers have had their trip to Applebees this year and Lawrence Co. will be hard to knock out of the region anyway. Good job Tigers and good luck Eagles. After tonight I think you can see that you will need it. It is nice to know that the best 3 teams in the region are all from the 57th district!!
INSIGHT Wrote:that's exactly the reference and I for one am tired of fighting an uphill battle every year just so my kid can attempt to lead a team whom is not leadable to post season play..... the politics suck.....I hope for college baseball and a quick graduation.....and I wish the kids whoom want to play baseball for the tigers were not always faced with this situation.......but as it is hopefully we will move on I hope my son will be a better player for it.....

Well BMR won't be around to do that next year so not to worry! Besides, baseball will never be equal to basketball or football at Paintsville or JC for that matter. You have to remember that Paintsville is a small school and that many players play several sports rather than just one. Also it is just high school anyway. The basketball team had a good run and the baseball team didn't do to bad either. The Tigers just weren't hitting the ball well IMO and that combined with a bad night from Grimm on the mound and you end up losing. The Tiger coaches may have been outcoached somewhat but that wasn't the only thing that led to the loss. Anyway it would have been hard for the Tigers or anyone else to get past Lawrence Co. in the regionals. Be proud of your son's ability and don't wish your kid's life away by hoping for a quick graduation. But you can look forward to college baseball!!
INSIGHT Wrote:that's exactly the reference and I for one am tired of fighting an uphill battle every year just so my kid can attempt to lead a team whom is not leadable to post season play..... the politics suck.....I hope for college baseball and a quick graduation.....and I wish the kids whoom want to play baseball for the tigers were not always faced with this situation.......but as it is hopefully we will move on I hope my son will be a better player for it.....
Well that's what happens when the parents kiss BMR's butt and won't say anything to him about it. They have nobody to blame but themselves. Hopefully now other sports will be allowed to succeed and this won't be an issue anymore.
Gatortater Wrote:Congratulations to JCHS…Good luck in the finals!!

In your opinion does the blame lye with the whole coaching staff or just the head man?
EKY Sportster Wrote:Well BMR won't be around to do that next year so not to worry! Besides, baseball will never be equal to basketball or football at Paintsville or JC for that matter. You have to remember that Paintsville is a small school and that many players play several sports rather than just one. Also it is just high school anyway. The basketball team had a good run and the baseball team didn't do to bad either. The Tigers just weren't hitting the ball well IMO and that combined with a bad night from Grimm on the mound and you end up losing. The Tiger coaches may have been outcoached somewhat but that wasn't the only thing that led to the loss. Anyway it would have been hard for the Tigers or anyone else to get past Lawrence Co. in the regionals. Be proud of your son's ability and don't wish your kid's life away by hoping for a quick graduation. But you can look forward to college baseball!!

If you think that Runyon won't be around next year you're kidding yourself. He may not be the head basketball coach but he's still the athletic director and we all know that he has to have his nose poked in everything that goes on in the Paintsville school system and the whole town for that matter. Look what he done with Paintsville's football program and just look at the state of the baseball program at Paintsville. According to some fans on here a change needs to be made at the top with Tucker. Well let me ask all of you this who do you think pushed for Tucker to be the head man in the first place? No other than "BMR" himself. As an outsider looking in I believe the the local lynch mob is after the wrong man and should concentrate there efforts on the real cause of the problems.
Lefty Wrote:That is what worries me, what happens to this team and the guys who return to play under him for the next 2 years? His entire focus this season has been about his brother in law pitching and playing first, a position that should have been Grimm's when he was not on the mound (instead of using Grimm as a DH or left field IMO). Sure he kept Grimm's bat in the game one way or the other but you short change your ballclub with his glove and his quickness being off the defensive field. Sad to say but I think his focus will continue to be there for the next 2 years because I think his family will see to that.

From my position, which is near the outside looking in, you seem to have hit the nail on the head.
THOMCAT Wrote:When Paintsville won the 15th All A and went to the finals of the State All A, why wasn't everyone blasting Tucker at that time. Funny how a loss to their cross town rivals will change opinions. Face it Big Blue Fans, Tucker will be over the baseball program for a long time because the "power" that be wants it that way.

It wasn't all roses then either.
Don Carlo Wrote:If you think that Runyon won't be around next year you're kidding yourself. He may not be the head basketball coach but he's still the athletic director and we all know that he has to have his nose poked in everything that goes on in the Paintsville school system and the whole town for that matter. Look what he done with Paintsville's football program and just look at the state of the baseball program at Paintsville. According to some fans on here a change needs to be made at the top with Tucker. Well let me ask all of you this who do you think pushed for Tucker to be the head man in the first place? No other than "BMR" himself. As an outsider looking in I believe the the local lynch mob is after the wrong man and should concentrate there efforts on the real cause of the problems.

It's never gonna happen.
BMR has earned his right to have a say IMO! But as for Tiger football, baseball or basketball, you win or you move on! As for baseball (the topic of this thread) I'm not saying that Tucker would have been my choice as head coach, and I am not going to say that he hasn't made mistakes either. But he isn't that bad of a coach. The Tigers are low on pitching this year and the bats haven't been blazing here toward the end of the season, so you can't blame it all on the head coach or the coaching staff. All things considered, I realize that the Tigers could have made regionals, but the players and coaching staff just didn't get it done this year. JC is a good squad, and Paintsville just had an off night. With Lawrence Co. as good as they are this year I don't think it would have mattered anyway. Good luck to all the Tiger seniors! As for the next few years, the Tigers may not be as good as the past couple of years but there is plenty of talent coming up through the ranks.
EKY Sportster Wrote:BMR has earned his right to have a say IMO! But as for Tiger football, baseball or basketball, you win or you move on! As for baseball (the topic of this thread) I'm not saying that Tucker would have been my choice as head coach, and I am not going to say that he hasn't made mistakes either. But he isn't that bad of a coach. The Tigers are low on pitching this year and the bats haven't been blazing here toward the end of the season, so you can't blame it all on the head coach or the coaching staff. All things considered, I realize that the Tigers could have made regionals, but the players and coaching staff just didn't get it done this year. JC is a good squad, and Paintsville just had an off night. With Lawrence Co. as good as they are this year I don't think it would have mattered anyway. Good luck to all the Tiger seniors! As for the next few years, the Tigers may not be as good as the past couple of years but there is plenty of talent coming up through the ranks.

Shouldn't Charlie Adkins and Walter Brugh have a say so too? They were the ones that put Bill Mike under their wings to begin with. I believe that Tucker was Charlie's hand picked successor wasn't he?
I can't say who's fault anything was. I just heard Tucker was getting hammerred from some people at the game and I see people are on here lobbying for him to not be there next year and how others are going to transfer their kid...that's the right of every person and I wouldn't challenge it.

However, this is opinion place and I need to give one.

I can say, being from Paintsville and having experienced most if not all of what's going on at one time or another from a player, fan and far away perspective(very important), it's unfortunate that we always feel the need to lay blame when things don't go our way, or to be so vocal and misguided about it.

It's like nobody believes you can just get beat...even if you have the better talent.

It's my hope, regardless of wins losses and championships, that we all look in the mirror and make sure that the kids are having fun and we are conducting ourselves with CLASS...win or lose.

We have an obligation to the tradition and the kids that are playing now to take a step back and make sure we are doing right. I may be wrong and I'm not trying to offend anybody, but I hope you know there is a difference between being right and doing right. It took me years to realize this.

It may be time to try and start to understand how and why we are looked at like we are by a large portion(if not ALL) of the competing teams and fanbases.

I didn't have much fun in high school playing sports, that's the god's honest truth. The biggest reason was all the stuff that went on off the court and kids are helpless. There were other reasons...I wasn't the best at my best under a certain kind of coaching, home life was crazy, etc...but parents and fans going wild about every little thing was the hardest.

I was a soph starting over a bunch of seniors in 2 sports and I didn't want to by the end of the season. I was getting no favors, but I heard what people said behind my back and right in front of me every time I made a mistake. I am embarrassed to say that I hold ill will toward people to this day over some of the things that were said and done at that time. That's not right for me to feel that way, and I know why I do.

I can't imagine what it was like for kids who it was their parents, my Dad was great at keeping me grounded and helping me understand how to deal with those things. I guess I'm lucky.

I'm not getting up on a high horse guys, I've made an *** of myself a thousand times. What I'm doing is proposing that life deals you losses and there's never anybody to "blame" for things. There's only a win or a loss and any lessons you can learn from to get better...that's it.

If we don't learn lessons from our mistakes, whether that be not hitting the cutoff man or hitting a referee because he missed a call, we are doomed to repeat those mistakes in the same grotesque manner.

Lastly, as a Paintsvillian from birth and many generations, my family is all over that school, I have a right and obligation to say we have developed a terrible repution as cocky winners and bad lossers. This is a fact. There are threads on multiple message boards that have statewide access asking people what schools they "hate" and Paintsville is always in the running if not the top.

Could it be it's because we win alot...Maybe, but I don't think so. I've been there, seen it, done it and heard about it year after year. I think it's how we act. I was always taught that you can give everything you have, leave it all out there on the field/floor, respect the **** out of your opponent and Coach, when you get knocked down you get back up and always have class.

I'm not telling anybody to do anything, I'm just making sure that we know that we have people among ourselves that have thought for a long time we could do better with how we handle ourselves with opponents, coaches, officials, kids and eachother. We are all on the same team and we need to act like it for our sake and nobody else. And because anybody or everybody else is doing it, that's more the reason we shouldn't if you think we actually are better as some would accuse.

Sorry this has been so long and end here with repeating one thing...THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING RIGHT AND DOING RIGHT.

Go Tigers!
Big Jim,
That was a great post! There is a lot of truths in what you said.