Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landon Slone Withdraws From Morehead State
ramblinman Wrote:First off, Landon is eligible to return to UK and play next year. Second, if Landon goes to UK as a student and Gillespie gets another D1 job, Landon would not be able to go there and play right away. As he was going to have to do at Morehead, he would have to sit out a year in residence at the new school. Therefore, he would not only be sitting two years out of basketball, he would also lose a year of eligibility and would only have two years left to play. The word around town is that Mitch Barnhardt is involved and there might be some reconsideration of Landon rejoining the team as a walk-on. Calapari possibly jumped-the gun in this situation.

This is good information if accurate.
ramblinman Wrote:First off, Landon is eligible to return to UK and play next year. Second, if Landon goes to UK as a student and Gillespie gets another D1 job, Landon would not be able to go there and play right away. As he was going to have to do at Morehead, he would have to sit out a year in residence at the new school. Therefore, he would not only be sitting two years out of basketball, he would also lose a year of eligibility and would only have two years left to play. The word around town is that Mitch Barnhardt is involved and there might be some reconsideration of Landon rejoining the team as a walk-on. Calapari possibly jumped-the gun in this situation.

You mean that Calipari is now going to let someone tell him how he is going to run his program, tell him who he is going to have on his team, and tell him who he will put on the floor? I highly doubt that. I doubt that there is an AD in the country that would approach a coach the caiber of Calipari and even discuss trivial things such as bringing walkons into the program.

The word on several other websites and blogs, from people that are claiming to be in the know, are saying that he was getting his fanny kicked in pickup games.
Not saying that at all just saying that, as we have all seen, Calapari is concerned about pleasing the fan base and I am not sure that he fully understood what it meant to the people of this state to have a homegrown mountain kid on the team when he made the decision not to bring Landon back. By the time that Calapari realized the potential bad PR move (remember his twitter) Landon had already decided to go to MSU. I am not so sure that Cal would have reconsidered the move if given the opportunity. What does he have to lose to have a kid that is a fan favorite, made the dean's list, and busts his tail every day as a walk on?
ramblinman Wrote:Not saying that at all just saying that, as we have all seen, Calapari is concerned about pleasing the fan base and I am not sure that he fully understood what it meant to the people of this state to have a homegrown mountain kid on the team when he made the decision not to bring Landon back. By the time that Calapari realized the potential bad PR move (remember his twitter) Landon had already decided to go to MSU. I am not so sure that Cal would have reconsidered the move if given the opportunity. What does he have to lose to have a kid that is a fan favorite, made the dean's list, and busts his tail every day as a walk on?
I dunno, but I think the new fan favorites are Wall, Cousins, etc, etc, etc. I'm willing to wager that there is noone outside of the mountains that gives a tiddly toot about a mountain boy being on the team, as long as they get a national championship.

Realisticly, all the fanbase wants to see is win, win, win. And that's all,....... period. Win a championship with kids from say, The Sudan, and your a god. Loose with mountain boys, and you'll get run out of town in the blink of an eye.. Sorry, but that's the fan base mentality in a nut shell.
I don't disagree Kimball. Just sayin that it doesn't send the best message when you ask a kid to leave that by all accounts represents what it means to wear the Kentucky Jersey, helped you win a couple of games the year before, and is one of your best students. Thank God Pitino didn't run off Pel, Farmer, and Feldhaus. And I am not saying Landon is in the same league as those guys. Believe me it means something to Barnhardt.
Not sure if its been posted or not but BCG is being linked to Texas-Pan American in Edinburg, TX although they did just hire a new coach this season.
ramblinman Wrote:I don't disagree Kimball. Just sayin that it doesn't send the best message when you ask a kid to leave that by all accounts represents what it means to wear the Kentucky Jersey, helped you win a couple of games the year before, and is one of your best students. Thank God Pitino didn't run off Pel, Farmer, and Feldhaus. And I am not saying Landon is in the same league as those guys. Believe me it means something to Barnhardt.

Nice post. Great job of pointing out how Pitino stayed loyal to some of the group that was already there.
kyrifle Wrote:Yes I saw the interview. One word comes to mind ARROGANCE. I can't believe he told Derrick he was a lock down type player and didn't think he could play his style of ball at MSU. Sounded to me like he thinks he's too good for Morehead. I think he's finished at any D-1 school. I don't think he can play at that level anyway.
Glad I am not the only one who's jaw dropped when I heard the stuff he said. I am still hoping we all jus took it the wrong way, because it was one of the craziest interviews I have ever seen. Derek seemed to even be a little speechless at times from what I can remember.
I mean, anyone know what he meant when he said "can't play to my full potential" at MSU?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Glad I am not the only one who's jaw dropped when I heard the stuff he said. I am still hoping we all jus took it the wrong way, because it was one of the craziest interviews I have ever seen. Derek seemed to even be a little speechless at times from what I can remember.
I mean, anyone know what he meant when he said "can't play to my full potential" at MSU?
Yea
is there anywhere to watch this ?
^ I'd like to see this as well
Stardust Wrote:^ I'd like to see this as well

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtsportsovertime .
There it is, Dusty. On the video section to the right of the media player, it's in the "awards" video. The interview is right after the Mtn. Top 10. It's like the 4:09 segment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He may end up at Pikeville where all the other mtn boys go who couldn't handle Division 1
OrangenowBlue Wrote:He may end up at Pikeville where all the other mtn boys go who couldn't handle Division 1

May want to go somewhere else then, Pikeville has D-1 transfers who contributed a lot to their teams.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:http://www.wkyt.com/wymtsportsovertime .
There it is, Dusty. On the video section to the right of the media player, it's in the "awards" video. The interview is right after the Mtn. Top 10. It's like the 4:09 segment.

TY, interesting indeed
PC_You_Know Wrote:May want to go somewhere else then, Pikeville has D-1 transfers who contributed a lot to their teams.

How many D1 guys? That should make them pretty solid
Stardust Wrote:How many D1 guys? That should make them pretty solid

He is making reference to two past UK players from this area that eventually ended up at Pikeville College. Namely Jody Thompson and Todd May.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:He is making reference to two past UK players from this area that eventually ended up at Pikeville College. Namely Jody Thompson and Todd May.

No, Pikeville College has 2-3 players on this years team that are D-1 transfers who played minutes for their teams last year every game, not sporadically like Slone.
PC_You_Know Wrote:No, Pikeville College has 2-3 players on this years team that are D-1 transfers who played minutes for their teams last year every game, not sporadically like Slone.
Who are they?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Who are they?

Can't name them, but allkyhoops.com had a post when they signed.
My sources have told me that Barnhardt called Landon asking him if he would want to walk-on if they could work something out. Slone is supposed to meet with Calipari in the next week or so.
OldTymer Wrote:My sources have told me that Barnhardt called Landon asking him if he would want to walk-on if they could work something out. Slone is supposed to meet with Calipari in the next week or so.

If that is so, then why would he give this sad sad sad story about wondering if he still has any love left for the game any more? Seems as if he would have come across a little different if he and Barnhardt had this little game plan going on.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:If that is so, then why would he give this sad sad sad story about wondering if he still has any love left for the game any more? Seems as if he would have come across a little different if he and Barnhardt had this little game plan going on.

Well today makes a week since his last interview with WYMT. Alot can happen in 6 days.
would landon be getting looked at so much if he wasnt a kentucky boy
Wildcatk23 Wrote:would landon be getting looked at so much if he wasnt a kentucky boy

Which schools are looking at him. Wasn't aware that there were any.
kyrifle Wrote:Which schools are looking at him. Wasn't aware that there were any.

i mean being talked about by us and wymt, we havent heard anything else about the other walk ons that left, so why the big deal with slone,
OrangenowBlue Wrote:He may end up at Pikeville where all the other mtn boys go who couldn't handle Division 1

And who are these other mountain boys you speak of, cause I can't think of any mountain boys that went D-1 then transferred to Pikeville, not in the last 10 years. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
devilhorns05 Wrote:Well I guess people from paintsville shouldnt hate Gillispie anymore

???? Dont understand what ya mean by this statement. Fill us in.
Redneck Wrote:And who are these other mountain boys you speak of, cause I can't think of any mountain boys that went D-1 then transferred to Pikeville, not in the last 10 years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My comment did not limit it to the last ten years as my knowledge of mountain basketball goes back way before then. Two 15th region legends that come to mind are Todd May and Jody Thompson. Both started at UK and transferred out eventually finding there way back to the friendly confines of Pikeville. Former Mr. Basketball Ervin Stepp left EKU and came to Alice Lloyd.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:My comment did not limit it to the last ten years as my knowledge of mountain basketball goes back way before then. Two 15th region legends that come to mind are Todd May and Jody Thompson. Both started at UK and transferred out eventually finding there way back to the friendly confines of Pikeville. Former Mr. Basketball Ervin Stepp left EKU and came to Alice Lloyd.

That's why I was asking, cause my knowledge don't go back that far. I was a little rascal when those guys played. Are there anymore?