Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky's Season
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Only in Kentucky, and I mean ONLY in Kentucky does a team win 35 games (after an NIT season and 4 straight 13+ loss seasons) with a first year coach, and a team full of freshmen, and ***** about it. Unbelievable. I hope they all do go pro, and Cal leaves, and then you can have Billy G or Tubby back, and go 21-13, bounced in the second round every year with a bunch of 6'5 swingmen from here on out.

:Thumbs:
We lost because we couldnt hit free throws and we got caught sleeping way too much on D. End of story. Do I think that this season was a success? Yes and No. I say Yes because its actually fun to watch UK B-Ball again. (And to all you dingbats ripping on Coach Cal. Just remember that Pitino had a few teams at UK that SHOULD have won it all but blew it. Case in point: The '94-'95 team who lost to NC in the elite 8 because Roderick Rhodes shot his arm off and couldnt make anything....HMMM sound familiar Mr Bledsoe?) But inevitably by many in Big Blue Nation and everyone of the talking head shows on the "Anti-UK" network better known as ESPN will consider this season a disappointment. We had the chance to be potentialy one of the best college B-Ball teams in history with our talent level on the floor and we blew it.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Only in Kentucky, and I mean ONLY in Kentucky does a team win 35 games (after an NIT season and 4 straight 13+ loss seasons) with a first year coach, and a team full of freshmen, and ***** about it. Unbelievable. I hope they all do go pro, and Cal leaves, and then you can have Billy G or Tubby back, and go 21-13, bounced in the second round every year with a bunch of 6'5 swingmen from here on out.
'Hoss you know I love ya dude. But are you gonna honestly sit there and say 'Bama fans dont have the same expectations in football?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:'Hoss you know I love ya dude. But are you gonna honestly sit there and say 'Bama fans dont have the same expectations in football?
HP, We ***** if we go 6-6 and lose to Auburn and Tennessee every year. When we *****, its justified. However, when Saban came in, went 7-6 his first season, Bama fans were patient. When he went 12-2 the next season, everybody didnt go crazy because we lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl and was calling for his head. No, Bama football fans have more sense than people like Aslan, who says that a 35-3 Elite 8 season is a down year. And to Aslan, I dont care what ESPN or anybody else is saying about us being the most talented team and we should have won it. Kansas got knocked out by a 9 seed. Syracuse by a 5. Duke got a bracket about as tough as the 14th region, and UK gets beat by the team that SHOULD have been the other 1 seed (over Duke). Instead, a team full of freshmen, that Cat fans should be thanking for putting the program back on top, is getting absolutely hammered for not winning the national championship. Anybody that says this is a down year, is STUPID, and doesnt know sports. And Im not too sensitive about this, posting on a thread that this was an unacceptable season deserves some backlash. If you cant take the backlash, dont dish out the ignorance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:We lost because we couldnt hit free throws and we got caught sleeping way too much on D. End of story. Do I think that this season was a success? Yes and No. I say Yes because its actually fun to watch UK B-Ball again. (And to all you dingbats ripping on Coach Cal. Just remember that Pitino had a few teams at UK that SHOULD have won it all but blew it. Case in point: The '94-'95 team who lost to NC in the elite 8 because Roderick Rhodes shot his arm off and couldnt make anything....HMMM sound familiar Mr Bledsoe?) But inevitably by many in Big Blue Nation and everyone of the talking head shows on the "Anti-UK" network better known as ESPN will consider this season a disappointment. We had the chance to be potentialy one of the best college B-Ball teams in history with our talent level on the floor and we blew it.

Excellent post. The '92-'93 team that lost to Michigan in the Final Four should have won it all, and the '97 team that lost to Arizona in the championship, even without Derek Anderson, should have won it too..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Excellent post. The '93-'94 team that lost to Michigan in the Final Four should have won it all, and the '97 team that lost to Arizona in the championship, even without Derek Anderson, should have won it too..
Correction, that was the '92-'93 team that lost to Michigan, not '94..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amun-Ra Wrote:Mazzoula had hit one all year and Flowers had been shooting a low percentage all season. The announcers even said so.

So, UK could have made Three's! Why all year long has UK Fans made comments about how Lucky the other team was in making threes, yet they never say if UK wasn't so crappy in shooting their own threes, or putting a hand in the opposition's face to defend the three that it may have taken the "Luck" away from the other team. If WVU was making three's, the TAKE THE THREE AWAY! Defend it!

Amen. I love UK Basketball, I'm as big of a fan as any, but to be compared to the UK fan that gets so worked that can't see anything through their Blue & White glasses makes it hard to appreciate. UK Had an incredible season, especially considering where this program was.
Okay, I had time to cool down from the Elite 8 loss.

UK had a great season. I do believe that this was the year to win the title. I am always amazed at how the signature for a Coach Cal team is terrible free-throw shooting. How can he recruit players that are NBA ready but cant hit a free-throw? I digress.

I believe that an Elite 8 is a good season. (Example coming up) It is amazing to me how a team can go 20-14 lose in the 2nd round of their conference tournament and go to the Final 4 is more successful than a team that would go 35-3, win their regular season AND conference tournament, and go to the Elite 8. I know that it is true and I feel the same way but it still amazes me. I bet that Coach Cal could do that and he would be paraded through Lexington like it was Palm Sunday!

I think the Cats can make a Final 4 run in a couple of years. I don't think it will happen next season though. One thing that people forget is that, yes, the Cats had quite a few freshmen, BUT they had Patterson who was a Junior that played like a Senior. There were many games towards the end of the season that he really stepped up when they needed him. Not only on the court but in the classroom as well. A potential lottery pick that actually goes to class! WOW! We wont have that guy next season.

I REALLY liked that Darius Miller started asserting himself more. From his first game as a freshman until last night, you can tell that he has gotten better. It is a hard comparison because he played so poorly against WVU but all of you remember some of his better games. He needs to do is find someone to work with him on his consistency. He has a good shot when it is falling and his confidence carrys him a LONG way, Bledsoe as well.

My official prediction is this:

Nobody comes back: Final 4 of Conference Tournament, NCAA 2nd round appearance

Orton comes back: Final 4 of Conference Tournament, NCAA Sweet 16 appearance

Orton and Bledsoe return: Win Conference Tournament, NCAA Sweet 16 appearance

(By some miracle) either Wall, Patterson OR Cousins return along with Orton and Bledsoe: Win Conference Tournament, NCAA Final 4 appearance.
At least this yr. KY fans were able to once again actually believe we could win a championship & that is what has been missing & that is what made it fun again.
Congratulations on a great comeback yr....Looking forward to next yr. Why? Because we will be thinking WIN! not oh well Ky will get it back together some time.
UK had a great season but when you have the most talent(5 future NBA player's) and don't win it all, there no excuses you can use. IDC how inexperienced UK is(and that didn't cost them the WVU game), there no excuse not win it all(or least beat a WVU team that has one ball handler) with the talent Cal has, none. The inexperienced and first year coach excuses are BS.
Aslan Wrote:UK had a great season but when you have the most talent(5 future NBA player's) and don't win it all, there no excuses you can use. IDC how inexperienced UK is(and that didn't cost them the WVU game), there no excuse not win it all(or least beat a WVU team that has one ball handler) with the talent Cal has, none. The inexperienced and first year coach excuses are BS.
If experience does not matter, then why do virtually every player's individual stats improve from their freshman to their senior seasons? I am not making excuses for UK's loss. Filling the roster with highly touted freshmen was a conscious decision that Calipari made, knowing that he would need to do the same next season.

If a coach chooses talent over experience to such an extent that Cal did, then inexperience is not an excuse for losing. Next season's team will be just as inexperienced as this one was and that will not be an excuse, just a fact. I would rather have a blend of talent and experience but as long as UK is competing on a national level and the players and coach do not embarrass the school, I am a happy camper.
Aslan Wrote:UK had a great season but when you have the most talent(5 future NBA player's) and don't win it all, there no excuses you can use. IDC how inexperienced UK is(and that didn't cost them the WVU game), there no excuse not win it all(or least beat a WVU team that has one ball handler) with the talent Cal has, none. The inexperienced and first year coach excuses are BS.

What do you mean by "no excuse" Did u watch the game? Callbit whatever you want but if u can't make shots or free throws u don't win. I don't care if u got 10 NBA players. There's no excuse to be made we sucked last night couldn't make shots. It had nothing to do with coaching. Why can't u understand that?? Great year by the cats and great coaching job by coach cal.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If experience does not matter, then why do virtually every player's individual stats improve from their freshman to their senior seasons? I am not making excuses for UK's loss. Filling the roster with highly touted freshmen was a conscious decision that Calipari made, knowing that he would need to do the same next season.

If a coach chooses talent over experience to such an extent that Cal did, then inexperience is not an excuse for losing. Next season's team will be just as inexperienced as this one was and that will not be an excuse, just a fact. I would rather have a blend of talent and experience but as long as UK is competing on a national level and the players and coach do not embarrass the school, I am a happy camper.

I agree that they need to be a better blend of talent and experience but UK did not lose to WVU due to lack of experience.
superfreak Wrote:What do you mean by "no excuse" Did u watch the game? Callbit whatever you want but if u can't make shots or free throws u don't win. I don't care if u got 10 NBA players. There's no excuse to be made we sucked last night couldn't make shots. It had nothing to do with coaching. Why can't u understand that?? Great year by the cats and great coaching job by coach cal.

Now, now.
Cal's a great recruiter, not coach. UK made no adjustments against the zone last night, none. There's noway he should have allowed his team to shoot 30+ 3's. He manages talent well and thats part of being a great coach, but IMO he's not much on the x's and o's. Talent won't win him every game, as seen last night.
It depends on what we get as far as recruits next year, and what we can do. I really hope we get top 5 recruiting class if not the number 1 class.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Aslan Wrote:I agree that they need to be a better blend of talent and experience but UK did not lose to WVU due to lack of experience.
In two or three years, these same players will not be missing 28 of 32 three-pointers. Young players improve with age and they also get better at handling pressure situations. Experience matters in any sport and in any game.
I will be more than happy take seasons like this if we look back on our last two seasons and going into the NIT and then Tubby's last few years, I will be more than happy to take 35 wins with only 3 defeats and guess what, we're in CAL'S first year people, give him time... I know that he had the talent, but that talent was YOUNG and inexperienced. If Jody would have stayed this year and not gone pro, then you could have hung up banner #8, but he did not and we needed his outside shooting. However, I will be glad to take this season and many more seasons like this because we're back in the talk of #1 seeds, talk of winning National Championships and talk of all the top recruits.....
Aslan Wrote:Now, now.
Cal's a great recruiter, not coach. UK made no adjustments against the zone last night, none. There's noway he should have allowed his team to shoot 30+ 3's. He manages talent well and thats part of being a great coach, but IMO he's not much on the x's and o's. Talent won't win him every game, as seen last night.

You're a @@#@# idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:
Stardust Wrote:So, UK could have made Three's! Why all year long has UK Fans made comments about how Lucky the other team was in making threes, yet they never say if UK wasn't so crappy in shooting their own threes, or putting a hand in the opposition's face to defend the three that it may have taken the "Luck" away from the other team. If WVU was making three's, the TAKE THE THREE AWAY! Defend it!
If UK would have came out and hit 12 straight threes I would have most def said the Gods are smiling on us today because I know UK can't shoot like that. From what I saw in the first half was alot of threes being thrown up with hands up and defenders running at them. The shots just went in.
It still doesn't change the fact that WVU on the season was a worse three point shooting team than UK. So yea. It helps to have some luck on ur side.
I use to really like Kentucky (and I am sure this has happened to other fans when it comes to others teams)but since being a member of two message board sites that are from Kentucky I have been so turned off to Kentucky athletics to the point that it is hard to root for them in anything.
Amun-Ra Wrote:If UK would have came out and hit 12 straight threes I would have most def said the Gods are smiling on us today because I know UK can't shoot like that. From what I saw in the first half was alot of threes being thrown up with hands up and defenders running at them. The shots just went in.
It still doesn't change the fact that WVU on the season was a worse three point shooting team than UK. So yea. It helps to have some luck on ur side.

I agree...it what about Free throws?? UK is horrible from the FT line...Coach cal for ever has said he wasnt worried about FT's they would make them when it counted...UK missed enough FT's to win the game last night! It wasnt the poor 3 pt shooting i dont think...and even shooting 4-30 and 16-30 from the free throw line they still almost won! Thats the talent this team has...they can play horrible and the other team play out of the world and come end of the game they still have a shot to win
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I use to really like Kentucky (and I am sure this has happened to other fans when it comes to others teams)but since being a member of two message board sites that are from Kentucky I have been so turned off to Kentucky athletics to the point that it is hard to root for them in anything.
Maybe you would feel more at home on a Buckeye sports forum.
I know we r probably gonna loose anywhere to 3-5 of our best players thats pretty much a fact.It would have been nice to have won a championship and although skill can take u far u imo u have to have experience not only as a single player but as a team.UK lost to WVU because each player played for themselves mor than they did as a team.I know there r a lot of negatives that come with this loss and season ender but on a positive note at least this Kentucky basketball program has been resparked and refueled thanks to Coach Cal and this years UK Wildcat team...and i think coach cal is a good coach...did anyine not notice the difference in Big Cuz's attitude from the beginning of the year to know...he was a ticking time bomb ready to fling elbows whenever he got the chance but now he has calmed way down and if that isnt a sign of coaching idk know what is.We may not have as good a season as this past one but IMO the fire is back in the wildcats
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Maybe you would feel more at home on a Buckeye sports forum.
Yeah because Lord knows they arent obnoxious.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah because Lord knows they arent obnoxious.
...and so humble too! :biggrin:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah because Lord knows they arent obnoxious.
They are on the same level as any other fans and worse when it comes to football. The biggest thing is most understand that. I try to keep things real as far as how I go about rooting for my team.
Great season, great team. I enjoyed UK basketball for the first time in years. Hated how it ended, enjoyed getting there.
UK is really a 15+ team better than WVU
This year was a success IDC how it ended. Who cares if we have 5 future NBA players, and the most talent? Everyone, and I will repeat EVERYONE has off nights and bad games. WV won, congrats to them, but don't put UK down for losing. I didnt exspect to go 35-3 at the beginning of the season. So for the simple fact we exceeded my expectations, I am happy.

We will have another number 1 seed next year IMO with our next recruiting class and what players do return (Bledsoe and Orton of the big 5 I believe are coming back).