Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basketball alignment
cksportsfan Wrote:Of course now you have to account for the 3 Bullitts leaving Louisville, Clinton and Russell County moving and the two 3-team regions in EKY. Considering you've already modified 15-of-20 districts, it wouldn't surprise me if you touch 18-of-44 remaining. Which would mean in order to get rid of the five 3-teamers (7.82 percent), you had to modify more than 50.

So while your alignment DOES make sense -- seriously, you did a good job (probably a better one that the KHSAA will come out with initially -- that's still a lot of movement/modfying to justify a small problem.

And it's a problem that can/will easily come back if Monticello (already on KHSAA's radar), Jackson City, Riverside Christian and Campbellsville merge/consolidate.

Yep, it's a lot of movement for three districts. And I think something that could really complicate things is if a school like Christian Fellowship in the 1st Region decides to back out of playing in the region again. This is their first year back after leaving region play in 2004/05. I have no idea if that was because they were non competitive or something else, but you never know. And that would start the dominoes all over again.
We need 4 Super Regions

Western Ky.
Louisville
Lexington
Eastern Ky.

Each Region having 4 Divisons. Each Divison have a tournament at the end of the year. Winner goes to Rupp to play against your Super Region. Final four winners blind draw to see who plays each other.
The last time I looked, there were just enough teams in Jefferson to have eight four-team districts, even accounting for the all-boys or all-girls schools.
Clinton and Russell moving out of the 4th would provide some leeway to move teams around in the 12th and 13th, so that's good.
Red Bird and Riverside should probably be in five-team districts if possible, because they could be gone at any time. It sounds like Monticello is also gone, so that has to be factored into the 12th Region.

Do you have the rest of the state? I'd like to see it and I'm sure others would too.

So much is made out of all the TROUBLE caused by eliminating three-team districts, but I'm guessing it would be a refreshing change for some teams. Football teams adjust every four years and no one has a breakdown.
Upon reflection, I think the fact that there are only 7.8 percent of the teams (I think that was the number) in three-team districts makes it more important to fix, since we're that close to having it done RIGHT.
HDE Wrote:The last time I looked, there were just enough teams in Jefferson to have eight four-team districts, even accounting for the all-boys or all-girls schools.
Clinton and Russell moving out of the 4th would provide some leeway to move teams around in the 12th and 13th, so that's good.
Red Bird and Riverside should probably be in five-team districts if possible, because they could be gone at any time. It sounds like Monticello is also gone, so that has to be factored into the 12th Region.

Do you have the rest of the state? I'd like to see it and I'm sure others would too.

So much is made out of all the TROUBLE caused by eliminating three-team districts, but I'm guessing it would be a refreshing change for some teams. Football teams adjust every four years and no one has a breakdown.
Upon reflection, I think the fact that there are only 7.8 percent of the teams (I think that was the number) in three-team districts makes it more important to fix, since we're that close to having it done RIGHT.

Don't get me wrong: I think Dragon came up with GREAT solutions. Seriously. That was solid work. His rationale made sense and he actually improved travel in some. Never really thought Hart could be a 3rd Region team, but he showed WHY it works.

That being said, I completely forgot about Christian Fellowship in WKY. Tiny school. Not very competitive. If they drop back out (they recently rejoined), then you're back to 4-4-4-3 (like they will be with the alignment the KHSAA just approved Monday).

If Campbellsville consolidates into Taylor County, the dominoes will have to fall. Also in the current 5th Region, Caverna could merge into Hart. Again, more dominoes.

And like you said, in order to account for Riverside Christian (tiny and suffering financially), Monticello (being taken over by the State), Jackson City (heavily rumored to be absorbed into Breathitt).

While Louisville could easily be placed into 7 districts of 4 and 1 district of 4.5 (four coed, one all-girls), even Louisville would have issues if Beth Haven and Evangel and Whitefield close or head for the KCAA/KCSAA (travel wouldn't be a huge issue and they would be competitive).

Dragon came up with a great solution to a current problem.

I admit I overreacted. He did it without drastically changing and left some districts entirely intact (Daviess County, Hardin County). I was wrong, but it still appears more than 40 percent of the districts (perhaps more than 50 percent) will have to be modified to fix the afflicted 5-of-64.

At the same time, to act like someone can up with alignment that will survive mergers/closures/new schools for the next decade is a fallacy.

You can't account for schools' decisions:

- Meade County does everything in its power to stay together.
- Washington County builds a brand new school to replace its old one.
- Nelson County builds a brand new school and splits into two (current Nelson County High, new Thomas Nelson. Keeps them from getting killed in 6-A football, but Nelson was NOT a power in ANY sport. So it's hard to see the new TNHS or the now-in-shambles NCHS will be region threats in any team sport outside football on an annual year-in, year-out basis)
- Harrodsburg closing about a decade ago was shocking considering how solid athletically they were for a small independent.
- Campbellsville is pretty proud, but it's also landlocked. 25 years ago, a merger with Taylor was not even talked about. Now it looks likely.

I REALLY, REALLy like Dragon's solutions. But if any domino falls, his band-aid gets ripped off and the old wounds (3-team districts) open all over again.
HDE Wrote:Do you have the rest of the state? I'd like to see it and I'm sure others would too.

I gave it a shot. I'm far less familiar with the eastern side than I am with the west.

I didn't worry about regions 6-11 or 16 (though I did initially plot 16) - no schools need to be moved in or out of those regions other than to make up for losing the Bullitt schools in the 6th. The Louisville schools are so close that it should be easy to work that out.

I have to say that I didn't like this one as much as the first five regions. The 15th Region is especially crazy with its current setup, as it's hard to get around 6 schools in Pike county and 5 schools in Floyd.

District 45 - Boyle County, Danville, Garrard County, Kentucky School f/t Deaf
District 46 - Burgin, East Jessamine, Mercer County, West Jessamine
District 47 - Casey County, Pulaski County, Somerset, Southwestern
District 48 - Clinton County, Monticello, Russell County, Wayne County

District 49 - Clay County, Jackson County, Oneida Baptist, Red Bird
District 50 - Lynn Camp, McCreary Central, Whitley County, Williamsburg
District 51 - Corbin, North Laurel, Rockcastle County, South Laurel
District 52 - Bell County, Barbourville, Middlesboro, Knox Central

District 53 - Harlan, Harlan County, Jenkins, Letcher County Central
District 54 - Buckhorn, Hazard, Leslie County, Perry County Central
District 55 - Breathitt County, Jackson City, Riverside Christian, Wolfe County
District 56 - Estill County, Lee County, Owsley County, Powell County

District 57 - Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Paintsville
District 58 - Allen Central, Betsy Layne, Piarist, Prestonsburg
District 59 - Cordia, Knott County Central, Pikeville, South Floyd
District 60 - Belfry, East Ridge, Phelps, Pike County Central

Twelfth Region
-Russell County and Clinton County move in. Russell County used to be in the region, Clinton County is desperate to move there.
-Southwestern is moved into a district with the other Pulaski County schools, which is more natural anyway.
-If/when Monticello goes, Southwestern has to be shifted to District 48 to make up for the loss. Lincoln County would move into District 47 to push that back to four teams.

Thirteenth Region
-This is where stuff starts to go sideways.
-McCreary Central is a natural fit with the Whitley County schools. It fits naturally with both Corbin and Lynn Camp as well, in this case being paired with Lynn Camp.
-Laurel County schools back in the same district.
-Rockcastle County comes in from the 12th to fit with the Laurel County schools.
-The hardest decision here is to keep the split of Corbin and Lynn Camp. Rockcastle County doesn't fit with the other schools as well as Laurel County, and it would have to take an odd route to get to Jackson County. Corbin is actually a shorter trip. It adds about 20 minutes the other direction up I-75 for Corbin from their regular district.
-I think the decision that would raise the most ire for rivalries is splitting the Bell County schools and Harlan County schools. It would be a necessary casualty. It's practically in the 14th Region now.

Fourteenth Region
-The 14th stays the same with the exception of the Harlan County schools entering and the Knott County schools departing.
-You could leave Cordia in this region if you wanted to. They are closer to Hazard but in the Knott County school district. They'd fit either place and be in a five team district either place to offset their possible loss.

Fifteenth Region
-What can you say about the fifteenth? There's no good solution NOW and there'd be no good solution at any point because of six schools in one county.
-Knott County schools enter which presents the problem that their natural fits are Floyd County and Pike County, which have 11 schools between them.
-Cordia must be in a five team district to offset the possible loss of that team.
-South Floyd is put into District 59 with the Knott County schools and Pikeville & Shelby Valley because it is the natural go-between of those four schools.
-East Ridge moved to District 60. You could put any four Pike County schools really in District 60, but it's the furthest east.

In all for those four regions, 8 schools switch regions, 9 schools switch districts. 2 schools would have to switch districts in the 6th region, so for regions 6-16 you have 8 change of region, 11 change district. In all, 14 of the 44 districts would have some change, be it a school entering or exiting. Added to the first five regions, 29 of the 64 districts would have some change.

On some of the other consolidation notes I haven't touched on:
-If EITHER Jackson City or Riverside Christian consolidated/ceased to exist, Magoffin County moves from the five team District 57 in to take their place. If BOTH went away, well.....
-Magoffin County would also be the contingency plan if Betsy Layne went away at some point as mentioned upthread. So basically you get one mulligan from the three that Magoffin County can cure.
-If Taylor County and Campbellsville merged, you'd probably have to poach Washington County from that district, move Fort Knox in with the Bullitt County schools, and move Thomas Nelson back in with the other Nelson County schools. Honestly, you could just start with Fort Knox being with Bullitt County now if you wanted to remove one step in that eventuality.
I like that we're being so rationale and reasonable now.
It's true that there COULD be several other issues to crop up over the next 10 years or so.
I see absolutely no reason why the problems can't be fixed now though, especially since even the most vociferous critic of region realignment I've ever seen agrees it's a good plan. Does it hurt anything or anyone?
If the number of schools drops below 256 (or maybe even 260 or so if there aren't good fits) then go straight to a 15- or 16- or 17-team regional tournament that lasts a week. You could have the play-in games on Monday, if needed, the round of 16 on Tuesday (at the higher seeds) and then go to the current eight-team format on Wednesday, or maybe Thursday if you want to play the championship game on Sundays.
Ignore my previous one. I accidentally chopped off my fifth teams:

District 45 - Boyle County, Danville, Garrard County, Kentucky School f/t Deaf, Lincoln County
District 46 - Burgin, East Jessamine, Mercer County, West Jessamine
District 47 - Casey County, Pulaski County, Somerset, Southwestern
District 48 - Clinton County, Monticello, Russell County, Wayne County

District 49 - Clay County, Jackson County, Oneida Baptist, Red Bird
District 50 - Lynn Camp, McCreary Central, Whitley County, Williamsburg
District 51 - Corbin, North Laurel, Rockcastle County, South Laurel
District 52 - Bell County, Barbourville, Middlesboro, Knox Central, Pineville

District 53 - Harlan, Harlan County, Jenkins, Letcher County Central

District 57 - Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark
District 59 - Cordia, Knott County Central, Pikeville, South Floyd, Shelby Valley

Twelfth Region
-Russell County and Clinton County move in. Russell County used to be in the region, Clinton County is desperate to move there.
-Southwestern is moved into a district with the other Pulaski County schools, which is more natural anyway.
-If/when Monticello goes, Southwestern has to be shifted to District 48 to make up for the loss. Lincoln County would move into District 47 to push that back to four teams.

Thirteenth Region
-This is where stuff starts to go sideways.
-McCreary Central is a natural fit with the Whitley County schools. It fits naturally with both Corbin and Lynn Camp as well, in this case being paired with Lynn Camp.
-Laurel County schools back in the same district.
-Rockcastle County comes in from the 12th to fit with the Laurel County schools.
-The hardest decision here is to keep the split of Corbin and Lynn Camp. Rockcastle County doesn't fit with the other schools as well as Laurel County, and it would have to take an odd route to get to Jackson County. Corbin is actually a shorter trip. It adds about 20 minutes the other direction up I-75 for Corbin from their regular district.
-I think the decision that would raise the most ire for rivalries is splitting the Bell County schools and Harlan County schools. It would be a necessary casualty. It's practically in the 14th Region now.

Fourteenth Region
-The 14th stays the same with the exception of the Harlan County schools entering and the Knott County schools departing.
-You could leave Cordia in this region if you wanted to. They are closer to Hazard but in the Knott County school district. They'd fit either place and be in a five team district either place to offset their possible loss.

Fifteenth Region
-What can you say about the fifteenth? There's no good solution NOW and there'd be no good solution at any point because of six schools in one county.
-Knott County schools enter which presents the problem that their natural fits are Floyd County and Pike County, which have 11 schools between them.
-Cordia must be in a five team district to offset the possible loss of that team.
-South Floyd is put into District 59 with the Knott County schools and Pikeville & Shelby Valley because it is the natural go-between of those four schools.
-East Ridge moved to District 60. You could put any four Pike County schools really in District 60, but it's the furthest east.

In all for those four regions, 8 schools switch regions, 9 schools switch districts. 2 schools would have to switch districts in the 6th region, so for regions 6-16 you have 8 change of region, 11 change district. In all, 14 of the 44 districts would have some change, be it a school entering or exiting. Added to the first five regions, 29 of the 64 districts would have some change.

-If EITHER Jackson City or Riverside Christian consolidated/ceased to exist, Magoffin County moves from the five team District 57 in to take their place. If BOTH went away, well.....
-Magoffin County would also be the contingency plan if Betsy Layne went away at some point as mentioned upthread. So basically you get one mulligan from the three that Magoffin County can cure.
-If Taylor County and Campbellsville merged, you'd probably have to poach Washington County from that district, move Fort Knox in with the Bullitt County schools, and move Thomas Nelson back in with the other Nelson County schools. Honestly, you could just start with Fort Knox being with Bullitt County now if you wanted to remove one step in that eventuality.
More than two schools would have to change in the 6th Region.

District 23: Down to 3 teams from 5. Keep Evangel, Moore and Southern. Lose Bullitt Central and North Bullitt.
District 24: Down to 3 boys' teams from 4. Keep Fern Creek, Jeffersontown and Whitefield. Keep Mercy (Girls only). Lose Bullitt East.

Honestly, it would be easier to move DeSales from 22 to 24 to offset Mercy.
To fix 23, you move any of these teams (Beth Haven, Fairdale, Holy Cross, PRP, Valley) from the 21st to the 23rd.

But then, ALL FOUR districts in region 6 end up getting changed.
21: Goes from 5 to 4.
22: Goes from 5 to 4, losing DeSales to offset Mercy.
23: Goes from 5 to 3 by losing two Bullitt County schools. Gets back to 4 by adding one school from District 21.
24: Goes from 4.5 to 3.5 by losing Bullitt East. Gets back to 4 by adding DeSales Boys.

In region 7, are you going to stick with SIX girls' teams in district 25? (Central, DuPont Manual, Portland Christian, Presentation GIRLS, Shawnee, St. Francis)?
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...ent_112025

If so, it's the only six-team district in the state, I think.
If not, then two districts are affected in Region 7 (25, which loses a team and 26 or 27 gains a team since 28 already has 5).

So in hindsight, 6-of-8 Louisville districts are changed, which takes the total districts changed to more than 50 percent.

HOWEVER, you've still done a good job. Hopefully the KHSAA takes some of your ideas/changes/rationale into account.
cksportsfan Wrote:HOWEVER, you've still done a good job. Hopefully the KHSAA takes some of your ideas/changes/rationale into account.

I appreciate it!
BTW, for those who work graphically, this is an image of my proposals. (Districts are color coded, solid black line divides regions. As with my proposal, I didn't get into 6th-11th or 16th, though I did draw their region boundaries approximately. (Just click on the thumbnail to see it larger)
The bottom line is, what happens next?

Do we realign 50 percent of the districts to fix five? Knowing it gets rid of ALL of the current problem and could help ease future developments?

Do you come up with contigency plans? I like Dragon's "if this happens" back-up plans. However, KHSAA has not made that known.

Location-wise, Dragon did an awesome job. Travel actually improved in many districts/regions. Rivalries brought back.

Still minor issues (Meade County being a black sheep in 3rd region, the not-sure-how-to-fix-it 15th region).

And how long would it work before all heck breaks loose again?

Geographically, you didn't do a lot of slicing and dicing. You had rhyme and reason to the madness. You made sense logically and mile-ally (not a word, I know).

But numerically speaking, when more than half the districts are changed in some way (and something like 18 plus schools changing regions), it's not just a minor thing.

That's not your fault in any way. I just don't think some people realize just how much shifting has to be done to fix five. It's a lot more than people realize (likewise to lose the Bullitts and get rid of a six-teamer, 6-of-8 districts MUST be changed in Louisville).
Nice try DragonFire.
Its hard to do an entire state, and I would LOVE if that were Whitleys district opponents lol. We might have a shot at winning it every once in a while.
I completely forgot about The David School among the list of former KHSAA schools. My apologies.

That being said, what are OBI's and The Piarist School's situations? Are they good for a while enrollment wise and financially?

And where would Wesley fit in should it decide to jump (although it would have to, ahem, alter some of its tactics getting students/athletes)?
DragonFire Wrote:District 53 - Harlan, Harlan County, Jenkins, Letcher County Central

District 57 - Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark
District 59 - Cordia, Knott County Central, Pikeville, South Floyd, Shelby Valley

Fifteenth Region

First off, let me just say you did an excellent job with this little project. Kudos. But, as a 15th region guy, let me help you out a little bit with that one.

The biggest problem in the 15th right now is that in for several years now there have been two 3-team districts (59th and 60th), and a 5-team district (57th). I'm aware that the 58th currently has 5 teams as well, but the fifth school is Piarist, a small private school that for much of their history has not competed in district play (and when they have they are generally not competitive). So if we're not counting Piarist, the 15th only has 15 teams, and needs to add another school.

I'm not sure what the other school would be, either. Jenkins is certainly a possibility, being only about 15 minutes from Shelby Valley and not much further from Pikeville and East Ridge. But I don't know if you would split them and Letcher Central up, and losing them might cause more problems for the 14th region.

If you don't want to split two schools from the same county into two different regions, you could also do a 2-for-1 swap, by bringing two schools in and sending 1 out. Such as bringing in either the two Knott schools or the two Letcher schools, and sending Magoffin into the 14th.

My last option is to snag Morgan Co. from the 16th and leave the other schools in the 14th. The problem with that one is you need another school into the 16th to replace them, and there's not an obvious replacement available.

Oh, and since you brought up Betsy Layne closing, that would really throw a wrench into things. The rumor was that BL, Allen Central, and South Floyd would all consolidate into Floyd Central, which would leave the 15th region short by two MORE schools.

In the end, your proposed districts look ok, except that I wouldn't put South Floyd into the 59th as a fifth team and leave Piarist in the 58th as the fourth team. You could switch them around, but then the geography is off. So how about this:

57th = Sheldon Clark, Paintsville, Johnson Central, and either Lawrence or Magoffin (the other leaves)
58th = Knott, Cordia, South Floyd, Allen Central, Piarist
59th = Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg, and 2 Pike county schools (Pikeville and either Pike Central or Shelby Valley)
60th = the 4 other Pike schools

This way, you have a 5-team district in the 58th, but 2 of the 5 are schools that may withdraw from district play in the future. That way there is a buffer if one does (but hopefully not both at the same time).

In the end, this is an interesting subject, one that does not have any easy answers.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell,

In your scenario, the 58th District appears fine, but is in reality all sorts of trouble:

- What happens if Piarist drops back out? ... You're down to four and the region no longer has a buffer.
- What happens if South Floyd AND Allen Central merge with Betsy Layne? ... You're down to 3 teams in the 58th and 3 teams in the 59th.
- What happens if Cordia decides to go the Oak Hill recruiting route (which is what Coach Rod Rhodes has PUBLICALLY stated?) ... You're down to four and the region no longer has a buffer.

Only Knott appears to be solid for the long haul.

I'm NOT from that area. But like Dragon said, there is no good fix to the 15th. It's hard to make it work NOW for geographical purposes and hard to make it work in the FUTURE because of small financially unstable (or athletically weak) private schools or because of yet another mountain merger (Floyd Central, which would follow East Ridge, Letcher Central, Harlan County).

I think a lot of people on this thread (you, HDE, Dragon) have made a LOT of good points. Helped with geographical possibilities.

On the flip side, I'm not sure an alignment exists that will keep us covered for even the next five years, let alone 10 or 20.
I normally try NOT to reply to myself -- especially after a looooooong layoff -- however, this is newsworthy:

Quote:http://www.kentucky.com/2013/04/25/26154...chers.html
■ It's official. The Wayne County Board of Education has voted to accept a merger agreement with Monticello. That means Monticello High School is no more, but its illustrious basketball tradition will live on. The Trojans' 1,276 victories are eighth most in state history. They won 16 region titles and were state runners-up in 1960. Stewart Gregory, who played for Monticello in the early 1980s, will cherish special memories as the last boys' coach at Monticello, and knowing that his daughter, Gabriele, scored the last points in school history.

So Monticello is gone. Who do you put in Wayne County's four-team district? Southwestern (and split them from Pulaski?)?

Also, Wayne was pretty good in boys' basketball this year. Can any Monticello players put them "over the top" so to speak?
More Cowbell Wrote:First off, let me just say you did an excellent job with this little project. Kudos. But, as a 15th region guy, let me help you out a little bit with that one.

The biggest problem in the 15th right now is that in for several years now there have been two 3-team districts (59th and 60th), and a 5-team district (57th). I'm aware that the 58th currently has 5 teams as well, but the fifth school is Piarist, a small private school that for much of their history has not competed in district play (and when they have they are generally not competitive). So if we're not counting Piarist, the 15th only has 15 teams, and needs to add another school.

I'm not sure what the other school would be, either. Jenkins is certainly a possibility, being only about 15 minutes from Shelby Valley and not much further from Pikeville and East Ridge. But I don't know if you would split them and Letcher Central up, and losing them might cause more problems for the 14th region.

If you don't want to split two schools from the same county into two different regions, you could also do a 2-for-1 swap, by bringing two schools in and sending 1 out. Such as bringing in either the two Knott schools or the two Letcher schools, and sending Magoffin into the 14th.

My last option is to snag Morgan Co. from the 16th and leave the other schools in the 14th. The problem with that one is you need another school into the 16th to replace them, and there's not an obvious replacement available.

Oh, and since you brought up Betsy Layne closing, that would really throw a wrench into things. The rumor was that BL, Allen Central, and South Floyd would all consolidate into Floyd Central, which would leave the 15th region short by two MORE schools.

In the end, your proposed districts look ok, except that I wouldn't put South Floyd into the 59th as a fifth team and leave Piarist in the 58th as the fourth team. You could switch them around, but then the geography is off. So how about this:

57th = Sheldon Clark, Paintsville, Johnson Central, and either Lawrence or Magoffin (the other leaves)
58th = Knott, Cordia, South Floyd, Allen Central, Piarist
59th = Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg, and 2 Pike county schools (Pikeville and either Pike Central or Shelby Valley)
60th = the 4 other Pike schools

This way, you have a 5-team district in the 58th, but 2 of the 5 are schools that may withdraw from district play in the future. That way there is a buffer if one does (but hopefully not both at the same time).

In the end, this is an interesting subject, one that does not have any easy answers.

Magoffin to the 14th just doesnt make a lot of sense. Magoffin County may border knott and brethitt, but where the high school is located they are really close to the schools that are already in their district, (being at the most 25 minutes from johnson central and paintsville, 45 minutes from sheldon clark at the most, i dont quite understand lawernce county in that district to begin with) i dont think you can spilt paintsville, johnson central and magoffin from each either being as how close they all are to each other.
cksportsfan Wrote:I normally try NOT to reply to myself -- especially after a looooooong layoff -- however, this is newsworthy:

So Monticello is gone. Who do you put in Wayne County's four-team district? Southwestern (and split them from Pulaski?)?

Also, Wayne was pretty good in boys' basketball this year. Can any Monticello players put them "over the top" so to speak?

Shame to see it happen.
Lot of thought gone into this and much thought but it will never take place.