Poll: Who wins this Pike Co Battle???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
73.56%
Pikeville
26.44%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville vs. Belfry
jace43 Wrote:Big Grin Cake walk. Belfry WILL be in Pappa John's Stadium at the end of the year.:rockon:

wow you've got some nerve and confidence. Their not (THAT) good
EKUAlum05 Wrote:There is no reason to even hit on " who ran all over who" last year.... Belfry returned the entire defense, and Pikeville lost nearly their entirew line, so it offsets. Plus... last year will have absolutely nothing to do with this game, just like Belfry's winning streak over the past 6 years don't mean a hill of beans. These are both two completely different teams basing their gameplan on the games they have seen played THIS SEASON.

Your right EKU I wasn't trying to say that the last 6 wins would have anything to do with game EXCEPT for motivation for Pikeville. I'm sure the Panther coaching staff has been using that all week. I believe that you are comparing apples to oranges when speaking about last years team and this years team. I do believe that Belfry will win. :rockon:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:There is no reason to even hit on " who ran all over who" last year.... Belfry returned the entire defense, and Pikeville lost nearly their entirew line, so it offsets. Plus... last year will have absolutely nothing to do with this game, just like Belfry's winning streak over the past 6 years don't mean a hill of beans. These are both two completely different teams basing their gameplan on the games they have seen played THIS SEASON.

Wrong answer. I'm glad Belfry has the same defense back, because it's the one that Pikeville torched. And Pikeville's game plan will be pretty much the same I would guess, run the ball over, through and around the Belfry D.
personally i believe Pikevilles O and D lines are stronger than belfrys
only_the_best Wrote:personally i believe Pikevilles O and D lines are stronger than belfrys
You need to stay off the sauce.
Belfry_99 Wrote:You need to stay off the sauce.

And you need to not make comments like that to people for stating their opinions..... should be a good game.... good luck to both teams!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Still false.... Pikeville has an excellent line for mountain 1A teams, but Belfry may have the best line in the mountains overall.
OK..you win. I guess youve been in the weight room of both teams and know just exactly what each Pikeville player is benching and squating as well as Belfry. Belfrys line is good nobody including me isnt stupid enough to say their not. All Im getting at is that when the Belfry lines fire off the ball friday night they wont be going against ER,SV, Lawrence or Corbin, Theyll be going against a stronger team than any theve played yet. The only game that Pikeville hasnt dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball is LexCath and IMO Belfry wouldnt fare much better against them than we did. I do have a ?. I was told that this is Belfrys homecoming week is this true??
I have seen game film from both teams, watched both teams play live, seen the actual heights and wieghts of both teams players, and have taken an unbiased opinion on how strong the players are. Here are my advantages and disadvantages:

RBs: NO ADVANTAGE - Belfry has bigger talented backs, Pikeville has faster talented backs.

QB: SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO PIKEVILLE - Elkins can run the offense and can pass decently well, Tim Honaker can run the offense and can pass rather decently but can run much better.

WRs: SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO PIKEVILLE - Even though neither team will throw much, both teams have recievers who can catch, but Pikeville's are a little bigger and better at YACs.

OL/DL: SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO BELFRY - go by my facts up top for assurance - both starting OLs/DLs are a good and even combination of fast and big and play 3 both ways - no advantage (I will defend to the death that neither is significantly stronger than the otherbased on what I've seen and know), but I am willing to say that Belfry's quality back-ups run deeper than the rather thin Pikeville line group.

LBs: NO ADVANTAGE - pretty much same story as RBs, considering they're the same players.

DBs: SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO BELFRY - once again, neither team will pass very much, but I have seen some large holes appear in Pikeville's coverage on rare occasion.

Offensive philosophy: NO ADVANTAGE - both have the same offense (except formation - Belfry is Wishbone and Pikeville is Maryland I/Power I) and both run it well.

Defensive philosophy: NO ADVANTAGE - both have arguably the best and most physical defenses in the mountains.

Special Teams: NO ADVANTAGE - Although this may be the difference in the game, both are pretty even; I give the nod to Pikeville in the return game, Belfry in the kicking game.

So, based on this, this game should be very even. I might give an edge to Belfry because the game is at the CAM, but I do not think Pikeville will be intimidated. I might give an edge to Pikeville for having lost 6 in a row, but I do not think Belfry will overlook or play down to Pikeville. So I go with my team by a liitle bit because I want them to win and see no reason they can't. Pikeville 20 - Belfry 17.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:OK..you win. I guess youve been in the weight room of both teams and know just exactly what each Pikeville player is benching and squating as well as Belfry. Belfrys line is good nobody including me isnt stupid enough to say their not. All Im getting at is that when the Belfry lines fire off the ball friday night they wont be going against ER,SV, Lawrence or Corbin, Theyll be going against a stronger team than any theve played yet. The only game that Pikeville hasnt dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball is LexCath and IMO Belfry wouldnt fare much better against them than we did. I do have a ?. I was told that this is Belfrys homecoming week is this true??

Belfry Middle School Homecoming is Thursday against Pikeville Middle.

Belfry High School Homecoming is Oct 19th against Sheldon Clark
NEXT Wrote:I have witnessed with my own ears this stuff coming from Pikeville fans and parents also so if its happening from anyone it needs to stop but I assure you that if it happens on the Belfry aside I'm sure the coaches will not put up with it.
If they will not put up with it then what kind of discipline was put on the kid who was flexing at and taunting the kids from SV? IMO he should have been tossed by the refs at that point.
EVERYONE...PLEASE, stay on topic talking about the game...I would hate to see this thread closed with two days left before kickoff.
Belfry will roll yet again...that would make it, what? Seven in a row.

My prediction:
Belfry 35
Pikeville 7

The only reason the score is this low for Belfry is because Coach Haywood won't run it up.

Maybe it's time for these two to stop playing every year...Belfry has dominated and Pikeville can no longer compete with the Big Boys....maybe Pikeville could start playing Pike Central or Shelby Valley and try to create a football rivalry they can actually win occasionally.

The panthers are still living in the glory days of great teams long since past...What has Pikeville accomplished in recent years???
What, that much coveted Class district trophy???Come on..Pikeville plays in the weakest district in the state.

It's kind of sad....Pikeville used to be a statewide football power...Now they are only great in their own minds.
Old Timer Wrote:Belfry will roll yet again...that would make it, what? Seven in a row.

My prediction:
Belfry 35
Pikeville 7

The only reason the score is this low for Belfry is because Coach Haywood won't run it up.

Maybe it's time for these two to stop playing every year...Belfry has dominated and Pikeville can no longer compete with the Big Boys....maybe Pikeville could start playing Pike Central or Shelby Valley and try to create a football rivalry they can actually win occasionally.

The panthers are still living in the glory days of great teams long since past...What has Pikeville accomplished in recent years???
What, that much coveted Class district trophy???Come on..Pikeville plays in the weakest district in the state.

It's kind of sad....Pikeville used to be a statewide football power...Now they are only great in their own minds.
This is pretty rediculous in my opinion.

Programs go in cycles. Every team has stretches where they have good years and stretches where they have down years. What comes around goes around. Belfry has had down years before and they will again. So has Pikeville and Highlands and Russell and Ashland and so on. It is inevitable. I wouldn't declare eternal supremacy. It could make you look pretty bad a few years down the road.

As for this year I say Belfry wins.

Belfry 21
Pikeville 7
I recall last year pikeville about beating Belfry it will happen this year Pikeville by 2 touchdowns come on Panthers...
EASports12 Wrote:I have seen game film from both teams, watched both teams play live, seen the actual heights and wieghts of both teams players, and have taken an unbiased opinion on how strong the players are. Here are my advantages and disadvantages:

RBs: NO ADVANTAGE - Belfry has bigger talented backs, Pikeville has faster talented backs.

QB: SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO PIKEVILLE - Elkins can run the offense and can pass decently well, Tim Honaker can run the offense and can pass rather decently but can run much better.

WRs: SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO PIKEVILLE - Even though neither team will throw much, both teams have recievers who can catch, but Pikeville's are a little bigger and better at YACs.

OL/DL: SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO BELFRY - go by my facts up top for assurance - both starting OLs/DLs are a good and even combination of fast and big and play 3 both ways - no advantage (I will defend to the death that neither is significantly stronger than the otherbased on what I've seen and know), but I am willing to say that Belfry's quality back-ups run deeper than the rather thin Pikeville line group.

LBs: NO ADVANTAGE - pretty much same story as RBs, considering they're the same players.

DBs: SLIGHT ADVANTAGE TO BELFRY - once again, neither team will pass very much, but I have seen some large holes appear in Pikeville's coverage on rare occasion.

Offensive philosophy: NO ADVANTAGE - both have the same offense (except formation - Belfry is Wishbone and Pikeville is Maryland I/Power I) and both run it well.

Defensive philosophy: NO ADVANTAGE - both have arguably the best and most physical defenses in the mountains.

Special Teams: NO ADVANTAGE - Although this may be the difference in the game, both are pretty even; I give the nod to Pikeville in the return game, Belfry in the kicking game.

So, based on this, this game should be very even. I might give an edge to Belfry because the game is at the CAM, but I do not think Pikeville will be intimidated. I might give an edge to Pikeville for having lost 6 in a row, but I do not think Belfry will overlook or play down to Pikeville. So I go with my team by a liitle bit because I want them to win and see no reason they can't. Pikeville 20 - Belfry 17.

I agree with most all of that with the exception of QB. You can compare who is the better athlete between Elkins and Honaker and I'd probably say Honaker would come out on top. But as far as who performs better within the constraints of the system, I gotta go with Elkins.
BoondockSaint Wrote:I agree with most all of that with the exception of QB. You can compare who is the better athlete between Elkins and Honaker and I'd probably say Honaker would come out on top. But as far as who performs better within the constraints of the system, I gotta go with Elkins.

Elkins is the better QB, Also got to remember he has two more season to go, he is going to be one of the top QB's in the mountains, maybe the state if he can put on a little size...
Old Timer Wrote:Belfry will roll yet again...that would make it, what? Seven in a row.

My prediction:
Belfry 35
Pikeville 7

Pikeville doesnt back down from anybody especially Belfry. You can go on thinking what you want but Pikeville s still a state wide respected program.
NEXT Wrote:Belfry Middle School Homecoming is Thursday against Pikeville Middle.

Belfry High School Homecoming is Oct 19th against Sheldon Clark
Ok I had heard that and wanted some clarification. Thanks. SC isnt a good team to have homecoming on either.
Belfry_99 Wrote:You need to stay off the sauce.
Pikeville got one of their starting O-linemen back this week after being out the first 5 weeks. He is 6'3" 280 lbs. His bench is 380 and he squats over 500. That is just one of them!
bigpun Wrote:Pikeville got one of their starting O-linemen back this week after being out the first 5 weeks. He is 6'3" 280 lbs. His bench is 380 and he squats over 500. That is just one of them!

Glad you have him back playing, there is no need to sit here and compare whos the strongest, that will come out friday night, and i could care less what who benches, but strenght although important isnt always the deciding factor, it has alot to do with quickness, and one thing you will see friday night is a very qucik hard hitting defense. I am not one who think this will be a blowout but to suggest Pikeville is somewhat stronger then Belfry is a mute point, because no one knows whos stronger, we could argue all day, but we will all know come friday night. Go Bucs!
DevilsWin Wrote:The CalPreps Projection is:

Pikeville (KY) at Belfry (KY), 7:30pm [projection: Belfry (KY) 41-14]
This same site had Holycross picked to beat us as well. Computers dont win games....people do!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:This same site had Holycross picked to beat us as well. Computers dont win games....people do!

No one said they did. He was just putting out information for others to read.
Midee1 Wrote:No one said they did. He was just putting out information for others to read.
Exactly. I haven't seen either team. I have no opinion on this game.

My prediction:
Belfry 35
Pikeville 7

This is a lock for classless post of the week.
jetpilot Wrote:This is a lock for classless post of the week.

AMEN.... all of these boys, on both sides put their heart and soul into each and every game. Suggesting that these two should stop playing would be like suggesting that Kentucky and Louisville should stop playing a basketball series every year. Things run in cycles. To suggest that Pikeville will never be great again shows ignorance and lack of class on your part. What if Pikeville had said that in the 80's when they beat Belfry several times in a row? The best any fan can hope for from this game is for no one, on either side to get injured, and to watch a whale of a ballgame.... Please, as adults (for the most part), lets not tarnish the spirit of the players on either side in this game by spouting garbage that is meant to be destructive. Lets build them all up and sit back and watch the emotion, heart, and determination that gets laid on the line Friday night! Who's ready for some football!!!!???

Good Luck to ALL!!!
I'm hearing now that Dustin May could not be playing in this game. Does anyone know his playing status .
Pirate4Life Wrote:I'm hearing now that Dustin May could not be playing in this game. Does anyone know his playing status .
I hope he gets to play, This has the potential to be a classic.
PHS95 Wrote:AMEN.... all of these boys, on both sides put their heart and soul into each and every game. Suggesting that these two should stop playing would be like suggesting that Kentucky and Louisville should stop playing a basketball series every year. Things run in cycles. To suggest that Pikeville will never be great again shows ignorance and lack of class on your part. What if Pikeville had said that in the 80's when they beat Belfry several times in a row? The best any fan can hope for from this game is for no one, on either side to get injured, and to watch a whale of a ballgame.... Please, as adults (for the most part), lets not tarnish the spirit of the players on either side in this game by spouting garbage that is meant to be destructive. Lets build them all up and sit back and watch the emotion, heart, and determination that gets laid on the line Friday night! Who's ready for some football!!!!???

Good Luck to ALL!!!

Great job. Very well said!!!
EASports12 Wrote:I have seen game film from both teams, watched both teams play live, seen the actual heights and wieghts of both teams players, and have taken an unbiased opinion on how strong the players are. Here are my advantages and disadvantages..............

Excellent post!

I also will say that the only part I would change would be the view of the QB.. from watching both teams play numerous times, there is absolutrely no comparison about which player keeps his head in the game, makes fewer costly mistakes, and runs the offense smoother. Honaker is a much more dangerous runner and big play threat, but Elkins may be the most underrated player in East KY. Think about last year's game, Elkins was getting absolutely crushed every single play, not only did he keep his comosure to lead his team down the field, but he completed numerous crucial passes as well.

My prediction:
Belfry 35
Pikeville 7

I get the impression this is not a Belfry poster...