Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 50 Christian County 0 ( Class 5A State Championship )
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Within a two-week span, Christian County was thoroughly dominated by Highlands to the tune of 50-0 by Christian County and Johnson Central had a chance to tie or beat Highlands on the final play of the game. Highlands was not 50 points better than the second best team in 5A but they were 50 points better than Christian County.

Hoot, I agree with you that JC was a better team than CC. Part of that is, as you've mentioned, caused by the style of O that JC runs. It really limits the number of possessions Highlands gets with the ball. But it seems to me that each year, Highlands gets a little better at making adjustments and defending JC's O. 21 JC points in 08, 21 JC points in 09 (but really 14 since the last JC TD was scored against Highlands subs) and only 14 JC points this past year. I know that if the JC receiver had caught that pass, it would have been 21 JC points by the starters this past year, but if you want to talk about that dropped pass, I think it's only fair to point out that a Highlands player dropped a sure interception on the prior pass which, if caught, would have eliminated the possibility of a JC TD if the kid had caught the pass.

And I think it's important to point out in case you weren't aware, Corey Compton, who was our best RB (not only as a runner but even more importantly as a blocker), played against CC but did not play against JC. He had a huge impact in the game against CC and I believe his absence had a huge impact on the JC game. I know injuries are part of the game as some like to say, but seriously, if Jude didn't play against Highlands can you honestly say that JC's O would have been just as good as it was with him? Is the back up RB almost as good as Jude? Streeter and True are good RBs for Highlands, but they weren't on Compton's level.

Don't misinterpret my post: I still think that JC was significantly better than CC, but the margin is not as big as the one TD win over JC vs the 50-0 win over CC would indicate in my opinion.
charlie22 Wrote:Hoot, I agree with you that JC was a better team than CC. Part of that is, as you've mentioned, caused by the style of O that JC runs. It really limits the number of possessions Highlands gets with the ball. But it seems to me that each year, Highlands gets a little better at making adjustments and defending JC's O. 21 JC points in 08, 21 JC points in 09 (but really 14 since the last JC TD was scored against Highlands subs) and only 14 JC points this past year. I know that if the JC receiver had caught that pass, it would have been 21 JC points by the starters this past year, but if you want to talk about that dropped pass, I think it's only fair to point out that a Highlands player dropped a sure interception on the prior pass which, if caught, would have eliminated the possibility of a JC TD if the kid had caught the pass.

And I think it's important to point out in case you weren't aware, Corey Compton, who was our best RB (not only as a runner but even more importantly as a blocker), played against CC but did not play against JC. He had a huge impact in the game against CC and I believe his absence had a huge impact on the JC game. I know injuries are part of the game as some like to say, but seriously, if Jude didn't play against Highlands can you honestly say that JC's O would have been just as good as it was with him? Is the back up RB almost as good as Jude? Streeter and True are good RBs for Highlands, but they weren't on Compton's level.

Don't misinterpret my post: I still think that JC was significantly better than CC, but the margin is not as big as the one TD win over JC vs the 50-0 win over CC would indicate in my opinion.

Good points Chuck.
Couldn't believe some announcer pitched the Birds' were underdogs in this match up.
I'll take the Birds' "Maniacs" anyday.

Congrats to the Birds, 20n10! 4-PEAT!
Best Wishes to the Seniors!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Within a two-week span, Christian County was thoroughly dominated by Highlands to the tune of 50-0 by Christian County and Johnson Central had a chance to tie or beat Highlands on the final play of the game. Highlands was not 50 points better than the second best team in 5A but they were 50 points better than Christian County.

It's about matchups and injuries Hoot. JC dodged a bullet a few weeks ago or they're loss would've been a little worse. (i.e. fumble impact):eyeroll:
charlie22 Wrote:And I think it's important to point out in case you weren't aware, Corey Compton, who was our best RB (not only as a runner but even more importantly as a blocker), played against CC but did not play against JC. He had a huge impact in the game against CC and I believe his absence had a huge impact on the JC game. I know injuries are part of the game as some like to say, but seriously, if Jude didn't play against Highlands can you honestly say that JC's O would have been just as good as it was with him? Is the back up RB almost as good as Jude? Streeter and True are good RBs for Highlands, but they weren't on Compton's level.

Same thing I said before the JC game, and MAN!!!, did I get :ChairHit:. I knew he was looking to get a few touches in the state final game, but I was afraid it was going to be just a couple of token on-field appearances when the game was all but over. I thought CC was in trouble after that first, confused looking offensive 3nout, but when I saw Corey taking the field after the CC punt, I knew the Colonels were in big trouble. True had his size, but not his experience or aggressiveness. I still think Highlands wins without him against CC because of the way the defense came to life, but with Corey healthy all year, this team would have been undefeated. JMO. ;-)
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:It's about matchups and injuries Hoot. JC dodged a bullet a few weeks ago or they're loss would've been a little worse. (i.e. fumble impact):eyeroll:
In every game, teams dodge bullets. Had Jude broken a few more tackles, JC could have scored a couple more touchdowns but he didn't. The time to talk about what-if scenarios is before games are played. The record shows Highlands won by 7 and Christian County lost by 50.

Nobody can say for sure how a game between CC and JC would have gone but it is hard to imagine that CC would have scored more against JC than Highlands or that CC would have defended JC's running game better than Highlands did.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:In every game, teams dodge bullets. Had Jude broken a few more tackles, JC could have scored a couple more touchdowns but he didn't. The time to talk about what-if scenarios is before games are played. The record shows Highlands won by 7 and Christian County lost by 50.

Nobody can say for sure how a game between CC and JC would have gone but it is hard to imagine that CC would have scored more against JC than Highlands or that CC would have defended JC's running game better than Highlands did.

I can tell you that JC would've scored alot on CC. I can tell you that CC would've scored quite often on JC. In other words, it probably would've been a pretty good game. Teams that have speed as their strength do not match up well to this Bluebird defense. Teams that ran it up the gut fared much better for obvious reasons. CC didn't really have a chance with Weinrich's D. The hopelessness was evident early as the CC coaches kept trying the same thing over and over with the same result. It's almost like they didn't prepare very well for this Bluebird offense. But, getting back to the JC thing, I think JC would've beaten CC in a shootout (by JC standards).
Only time we moved the ball all night was on trap plays up the middle and plays based off of that formation. In other words, power running game. Only problem with this scenario is that we were built for speed, not power. Our match ups were horrible against HHS. You have to KNOW you can beat HHS before you even have a chance to beat them. I feel confident that a game between JC or a couple of other teams from the east and any of the main four teams from the west would have been quite competitive and could have gone either way. According to some of you all's theory's on match ups, HHS would beat Trinty by about 45 points. BG lost to Trinity by less then a field goal. CC beat BG by 4. HHS beat CC by 50. So, HHS would beat Trinity by about 45. We all know it doesn't work that way.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Wow, I never thought about that. I really don't know where to go for that kind of info, but I'd also be interested in knowing. (I don't mind the travel. I'm just curious.:biggrinSmile

Highlands will be in district 7 and thus Region 4 of Class 4A next year. Using the way it has been for the last 51 years, i.e. odd districts/regions host in odd numbered years and even districts/regions how in even numbered years, if they win the district, then the first two games will be in Fort Thomas. If they get to the Regional finals it would then be in Fort Thomas. The State Semi-Finals will be at the Region 3 champions home field. Then the finals will be wherever the KHSAA decides.
Wise one Wrote:Highlands will be in district 7 and thus Region 4 of Class 4A next year. Using the way it has been for the last 51 years, i.e. odd districts/regions host in odd numbered years and even districts/regions how in even numbered years, if they win the district, then the first two games will be in Fort Thomas. If they get to the Regional finals it would then be in Fort Thomas. The State Semi-Finals will be at the Region 3 champions home field. Then the finals will be wherever the KHSAA decides.

Who is in Class 4A, Region 3??
horst muhlmann Wrote:Who is in Class 4A, Region 3??

The whole realignment can be found here http://www.khsaa.org/football/realignmen...gnment.pdf

But more specifically, Class 4A Region 3 is:

District 5 - Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, Marion County, Mercer County, Taylor County
District 6 - Clay County, Knox Central, Rockcastle County, Russell County
Wise one Wrote:The whole realignment can be found here http://www.khsaa.org/football/realignmen...gnment.pdf

But more specifically, Class 4A Region 3 is:

District 5 - Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, Marion County, Mercer County, Taylor County
District 6 - Clay County, Knox Central, Rockcastle County, Russell County

So if the early predictions are correct, a return trip by the Birds to Boyle or LC would be likely...
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I can tell you that JC would've scored alot on CC. I can tell you that CC would've scored quite often on JC. In other words, it probably would've been a pretty good game. Teams that have speed as their strength do not match up well to this Bluebird defense. Teams that ran it up the gut fared much better for obvious reasons. CC didn't really have a chance with Weinrich's D. The hopelessness was evident early as the CC coaches kept trying the same thing over and over with the same result. It's almost like they didn't prepare very well for this Bluebird offense. But, getting back to the JC thing, I think JC would've beaten CC in a shootout (by JC standards).

I don't know about that one. JC only gave up 21 points to Highlands which was Highlands fewest points scored in a game all season.
Emmit Brown Wrote:I don't know about that one. JC only gave up 21 points to Highlands which was Highlands fewest points scored in a game all season.

I'm beginning to feel like a dog chasing it's tail.Confusedticktong