Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central job open
The only two that I could think of would be: Floyd Central Girls and Lawrence County Boys. Turned out real well for both of them.
I could name a few more but won’t. Looking for some positives instead of put downs.
Not surprised.... not surprised at all.
Nothing against Alan Moore but seems like FC is still playing the buddy system...
Alan Joe Moore is the new coach
Like I stated: "underwhelming". Nice guy but unqualified to coach a high school team. It will be years before they win another district title.
Seems like the hire was what most of the community wanted. What are the qualifications to coach high school and why are you so upset that he was hired? Who that interviewed is more qualified?
Looks like we will still be feeder school for Pike County
Has Moore ever been a head coach before? I’ve always known him as being an assistant for as long as I’ve been playing and following.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Has Moore ever been a head coach before? I’ve always known him as being an assistant for as long as I’ve been playing and following.
I know he started his assistant coaching at the HS level with Derrick Newsome at ACHS when he was coaching the girls program. From there I think he has been an assistant at SF with both girls and boys programs alongside Justin Triplett and Justin Holbrook. Had been head coach of both boys and girls elementary at McDowell as well as head coach of SF middle school for several years and then assistant girls coach at FC. Honestly I can’t figure out why people are upset over this hire. Did the man cut a kid from the team in elementary school or something? The coaches from the 15th Region that have been successful or are currently successful are not interested in leaving and to be honest I don’t blame them. No way I’d walk away if I had an established program like Paintsville, Pikeville, SV. With that being said, I am still wondering who is more qualified out of the ones I’ve seen posted on here? Landon Slone didn’t want it, Rodney Rowe didn’t want it, Justin Holbrook didn’t want it. Rick Pitino even said no! What’s it take to be qualified?
Allen Joe is a good basketball mind and will be a good coach. Buttttttt isn’t this exactly what they did wrong before? You shouldn’t hire anyone previously affiliated with SF or AC in my opinion. Wait and see Right Beaver parents will get mad this year. This job desperately needed a fresh out of county face. Hope AJ succeeds though great guy
boxandone Wrote:I know he started his assistant coaching at the HS level with Derrick Newsome at ACHS when he was coaching the girls program. From there I think he has been an assistant at SF with both girls and boys programs alongside Justin Triplett and Justin Holbrook. Had been head coach of both boys and girls elementary at McDowell as well as head coach of SF middle school for several years and then assistant girls coach at FC. Honestly I can’t figure out why people are upset over this hire. Did the man cut a kid from the team in elementary school or something? The coaches from the 15th Region that have been successful or are currently successful are not interested in leaving and to be honest I don’t blame them. No way I’d walk away if I had an established program like Paintsville, Pikeville, SV. With that being said, I am still wondering who is more qualified out of the ones I’ve seen posted on here? Landon Slone didn’t want it, Rodney Rowe didn’t want it, Justin Holbrook didn’t want it. Rick Pitino even said no! What’s it take to be qualified?

Oh. I didn’t mean to come off as I was downplaying him being hired. I was simply just trying to get some information about him.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Oh. I didn’t mean to come off as I was downplaying him being hired. I was simply just trying to get some information about him.
I didn’t mean for it to sound like I was talking about your post. Sorry,
I’m searching for information as well and I started following this when I heard about all the things going on with the former coach. From what I’ve read, everyone is hating on hiring the Moore guy because he is from the Left Beaver area, just like Spurlock was from the right Beaver area. Consolidation is always tough and it’s always easier to point blame at the coach especially when then are from one feeder area instead of the others. Like the post earlier where someone said our school will continue to feed Pike County since this hire. Unless they personally have something against this new coach, how would they already know he isn’t the best hire?
boxandone Wrote:I didn’t mean for it to sound like I was talking about your post. Sorry,
I’m searching for information as well and I started following this when I heard about all the things going on with the former coach. From what I’ve read, everyone is hating on hiring the Moore guy because he is from the Left Beaver area, just like Spurlock was from the right Beaver area. Consolidation is always tough and it’s always easier to point blame at the coach especially when then are from one feeder area instead of the others. Like the post earlier where someone said our school will continue to feed Pike County since this hire. Unless they personally have something against this new coach, how would they already know he isn’t the best hire?

People complain about anything and everything. For all we know, Moore may have been the third option and two people in front of him declined. We have no way of knowing and never will.
#BBFL
The majority of people who say Alan Joe isn’t a good hire will be very surprised. He has a great basketball IQ and is very good with kids. He will push the players to their highest potential. Every team he has coached he has made better. He will have these boys ready to compete come tourney time. I can’t think of many people who are more qualified for this position than he is.
He has never coached a team above the middle school level. My point is that I am sure no one with any coaching experience or success was wanting the job. They could have probably gotten the South Floyd coach back but who knows. It will will be a long drought for Floyd Central.
WinkWinkler Wrote:He has never coached a team above the middle school level. My point is that I am sure no one with any coaching experience or success was wanting the job. They could have probably gotten the South Floyd coach back but who knows. It will will be a long drought for Floyd Central.
Or they may be more successful than they have in the 2 short years the school has been around.
I am asking a legitimate question here. What would be the qualifications to coach a high school team from the standards in this message room. Moore coached and won at all levels elementary, middle school as head coach boys and girls as well as JV at SF and FC. From my experience, when you demonstrate the ability to develop kids and then they win at all levels, then you get your shot at high school head coach and so on. What previous experience did EJ have before taking Pikeville HS? After talking to several people both around the program as well as outside of it at other programs, he will do a great job in the development as well as the direction of the program.
Talented players make a good coach in high school. Coaches now days do not develop players. They are developed at AAU, private sessions, etc. Floyd Centrals new coach will struggle due to a lack of talent. They may schedule a weak schedule and win a few games but when tournament time comes, it will end quickly. We all know how he got this job but I am not going say it on this forum. My final comment on this matter will be "disappointing".
WinkWinkler Wrote:Talented players make a good coach in high school. Coaches now days do not develop players. They are developed at AAU, private sessions, etc. Floyd Centrals new coach will struggle due to a lack of talent. They may schedule a weak schedule and win a few games but when tournament time comes, it will end quickly. We all know how he got this job but I am not going say it on this forum. My final comment on this matter will be "disappointing".
I respectfully disagree, coaches in the elementary and middle school develop players. Very little skill is learned playing in many AAU programs. You play against better players which can improve you to some degree but not the same as good fundamentals taught at a young age that are again developed through trainings and camps as the player gets older.
boxandone Wrote:I respectfully disagree, coaches in the elementary and middle school develop players. Very little skill is learned playing in many AAU programs. You play against better players which can improve you to some degree but not the same as good fundamentals taught at a young age that are again developed through trainings and camps as the player gets older.
AAU = Trash
Coaches work longer trying to get the bad AAU habits out of players
While I do agree with AAU sometimes making bad habits I’ve seen coaches on more than one occasion let this bad habits slide with “good” players so as not to run them off. I.E, they don’t want them to transfer so they let them play.. Jack threes, and play little to no defense. We’ve all seen it
Blacksmith Wrote:While I do agree with AAU sometimes making bad habits I’ve seen coaches on more than one occasion let this bad habits slide with “good” players so as not to run them off. I.E, they don’t want them to transfer so they let them play.. Jack threes, and play little to no defense. We’ve all seen it
I agree completely. I am by no means taking jabs at all AAU programs either. I have seen a few help players with their confidence and decision making, But for anyone to think that all AAU programs are in the best interests of these kids and that coaches today are not about helping to develop a players ability is absurd.
boxandone Wrote:I agree completely. I am by no means taking jabs at all AAU programs either. I have seen a few help players with their confidence and decision making, But for anyone to think that all AAU programs are in the best interests of these kids and that coaches today are not about helping to develop a players ability is absurd.
AAU is not what it use to be. Baseball is the same way. Big money to be made in AAU and when money gets involved things tend to go sideways. I wish it were not the case..
This isn't that complicated. It is a newly consolidated school. They've already made the mistake of hiring someone with ties to the previous schools and the results are in...failure. Hire someone with no ties to the community so he can come in and build a program. This won't stop parents from complaining that their baby is better than the next but they certainly won't be able to blame it on the coaches former ties. Or hire in house and go through the same mess again.