•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
What about Chris McNamee? Would he return to Pikeville?
What about Jason Howell? Would he leave Lexington to come back to Pikeville?
What about Chad Salyer? Does he want the job?
What about John Chapman? Does he want to return to Pikeville?

All of these guys were on staff together at one time (a brief time in 1999).

BTW-- a much better staff than the one they have had for the past three seasons.

The current staff has set Pikeville Football back at least 5 years.... maybe 10! They should not hire someone who is recommended by the coach who just resigned!

PULL TOGETHER TRUE PANTHER FOOTBALL ALUMNS!!! It is OUR program! Let's reclaim what is rightfully OURS!

Lets erradicate the outsiders (Copley, Jackson, and the current staff) and go back to our roots!
God of Thunder Wrote:What about Chris McNamee? Would he return to Pikeville?

BTW-- a much better staff than the one they have had for the past three seasons.

The current staff has set Pikeville Football back at least 5 years.... maybe 10! They should not hire someone who is recommended by the coach who just resigned!

PULL TOGETHER TRUE PANTHER FOOTBALL ALUMNS!!! It is OUR program! Let's reclaim what is rightfully OURS!

Lets erradicate the outsiders (Copley, Jackson, and the current staff) and go back to our roots!

Get the '99 staff back and I will reserve a suite at the Exeutive West for the next 10 years and all you dudes are invited...:letsparty
My apologies jetpilot!

All those guys would be great to have back, And I agree that we need to start staying in-house with the hires. The community has a hard time with a new guy from another city coming in. But when it's a guy that the community has watched grow-up and played right in front of them it adds an extra passion to the program and games. You always want to see the guys you watched grow-up in your town do well. Pikeville is one of the most if not the most storied program in eastern Kentucky, It is time to ties all the community back together and support OUR panthers!!
I have heard that Mac would like to come back to Pikeville. Plans at Central are not working out how he thought they would. Any truth to this? And would the current players want him back? And for those Alum who played for this man, do you think that he has what it takes to put the Panthers back at the top?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with your enthusiasm 100% We alumnists have to pull together in order for this program to move forward. I just dont think we need to be so exclusive and closed minded about looking for outside coaches. We havent had good luck this time around with bringing in an outside coach. But, if the folks that did the hiring in '72 thought like that then Hillard Howard wouldve never gotten hired and that wouldnt have been good at all. To be honest I dont think it was this staff that is the cause of our decline over the last few years. It was the previous staffs absolut negligence of the Little League and JR high programs which I believe everyone on here would agree is the foundation of any good program. I had a guy that coached Little League tell me 7-8 years ago that this was coming. This issue needs to be addressed if we have any shot of being a perrenial state contender again in the future.
I was devistated when Coach J told me. I hope him leaving wont get PHS football off track for the 2008 season.
jetpilot Wrote:Get the '99 staff back and I will reserve a suite at the Exeutive West for the next 10 years and all you dudes are invited...:letsparty

I think Coach Chapman and staff would have won a couple of state championships at Pikeville had things worked out. I know Breathitt County was not as successful before he arrived in Jackson (state titles in 1995 and 1996), and then when he returned they won another state title in 2002.

Copley should get it for sure...He is the perfect man for the job...He knows football and his style has the players fired up and ready to play under his coaching.
God of Thunder Wrote:Lets erradicate the outsiders (Copley, Jackson, and the current staff) and go back to our roots!
Well the whole current staff isnt "Outsiders" are you forgetting about coach Gravy? He and Coach Wheeler are nowhere near outsiders. Whats next? Are you going to get rid of Snab too??? LOL!!!
I am referring to the "main players" or the so-called football icons Copley and Jackson. They obviously are the ones who have guided the storied Pikeville Football tradition straight into the ground.
jetpilot Wrote:If the whole community expresses their opinion, Copley won't be in the top 3. Nothing against him, but there simply are more qualified candidates out there. If your son is crying about the coaching situation and will only play for Copley and will change schools if necessary, well....Smile
That's a rediculous statement. How do you you know how the whole community feels?
Pikeville needs someone that knows the kids and that the kids love playing for.
Pikeville needs Copley more than Copley needs Pikeville. If you look at what Copley has done with these kids since he's been there, then there's no way he shouldn't get the shot at head coach. The kids love him and will do anything for him. Look at the athletes he's made since taking over the weight training program. Heck, most of the coaches in the other sports are jealous of him because of how the kids respond to him. Coach Williams publicly acknowledged him and gave him due credit for making the players stronger and quicker during last season. Coach Preode also intrust Copley with his baseball players for their weight training. I would say that some key players on Pikeville's team will have alot to say before it's all finished. Pikeville's belly offense was put in place this past season by Copley, but he was'nt allowed to run it completely. Jackson wanted him concentrating more on the defense. Howard and some of these other coaches being mentioned on here run spread offenses, so why would a 2100 yard rusher want to come into his senior year on a team that likes to chuck it through the air 75% of the time. Remember that Ben Howard is not Hillard Howard( who was a wishbone belly coach). These are just some facts that I think are important to talk about.
Priode is how you spell it!

I played for Hillard..... we did not run the "Belly". Belfry did.

Thank you for your "wealth of knowledge"!
Elwayfan Wrote:That's a rediculous statement. How do you you know how the whole community feels?
Pikeville needs someone that knows the kids and that the kids love playing for.
Pikeville needs Copley more than Copley needs Pikeville. If you look at what Copley has done with these kids since he's been there, then there's no way he shouldn't get the shot at head coach. The kids love him and will do anything for him. Look at the athletes he's made since taking over the weight training program. Heck, most of the coaches in the other sports are jealous of him because of how the kids respond to him. Coach Williams publicly acknowledged him and gave him due credit for making the players stronger and quicker during last season. Coach Preode also intrust Copley with his baseball players for their weight training. I would say that some key players on Pikeville's team will have alot to say before it's all finished. Pikeville's belly offense was put in place this past season by Copley, but he was'nt allowed to run it completely. Jackson wanted him concentrating more on the defense. Howard and some of these other coaches being mentioned on here run spread offenses, so why would a 2100 yard rusher want to come into his senior year on a team that likes to chuck it through the air 75% of the time. Remember that Ben Howard is not Hillard Howard( who was a wishbone belly coach). These are just some facts that I think are important to talk about.

According to the KHSAA website statistics, LCC's leading passer had 253 pass attempts and they rushed the ball 330 times. They scored 33 TD's on the ground compared to 19 in the air. Total yards on the ground (among top three rushers) - 2,299, passing (Banks) - 2,010.
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...tats_24789
Thanks for the information!

Seems there are some people who just want to spread lies, rumors, and misinformation!
God of Thunder Wrote:Priode is how you spell it!

I played for Coach Howard also.
While he may not have run the belly exclusively, he most certainly did run the belly occasionally during his time at Pikeville.
How can you say that. They made farther this year than last season!

Where do you think Hillard Howard came from? Where did Royce Mayo come from?
Where did Chad Salyers come from? I guess you think Wheeler is an outsider even though he's been on the staff for 20 years. What about coach Gravy, is he an outsider too? What about Matt Branham and Sullivan?
There's not much substance in what you say.
Beef Wrote:I have heard that Mac would like to come back to Pikeville. Plans at Central are not working out how he thought they would. Any truth to this? And would the current players want him back? And for those Alum who played for this man, do you think that he has what it takes to put the Panthers back at the top?
I don't think Pikeville will look at him, just because of the shape he left the program in, from High School varsity down to the Little League.
God of Thunder Wrote:I am referring to the "main players" or the so-called football icons Copley and Jackson. They obviously are the ones who have guided the storied Pikeville Football tradition straight into the ground.

That wasn,t what you said. You stated "and the current staff!"
rawlingsfan Wrote:[/b]

According to the KHSAA website statistics, LCC's leading passer had 253 pass attempts and they rushed the ball 330 times. They scored 33 TD's on the ground compared to 19 in the air. Total yards on the ground (among top three rushers) - 2,299, passing (Banks) - 2,010.
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...tats_24789

LCC's leading rusher was their QB, Charlie Banks, with 122 att. for 827 yards and 20TD's.
Their leading rusher at RB was Ben Fisher, with 122 att. for 811 yards.

My point is that the spread offense is not a running back friendly offense, it is a QB friendly offense.
God of Thunder Wrote:Priode is how you spell it!

They may have not run the belly for the 1 game that you played in against Wheelright. They probably were working on their passing game in a blowout
Alright guys, stop being smart***** and get back to discussing who the next coach will be at PHS, not who the previous coaches were, we all know that information.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Alright guys, stop being smart***** and get back to discussing who the next coach will be at PHS, not who the previous coaches were, we all know that information.

Your post should have read "not who the previous head coach was". Instead of using coaches which is plural. Seeing as how only one coach has resigned and is no longer on staff.
TRAIN85 Wrote:Your post should have read "not who the previous head coach was". Instead of using coaches which is plural. Seeing as how only one coach has resigned and is no longer on staff.

No, I was referring to Coach McNamee, Coach Mayo, Coach Chapman, and Coach Howard when I said "coaches."

There is no reason to argue about whatever their style of offense was in this thread.

I am aware that only one coach, Coach Jackson, left and didn't mean for it to come across that anyone else had left.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think that most people on this thread need to broaden their views. From the majority of the post, the new coach needs to be from eastern Kentucky and be somewhat familiar with the history of Pikeville football. (With these views, you are missing out on several quality candidates, but I understand you dont want someone to up and leave after a few years) Not saying there is anything wrong with the coaches that have already been mentioned, but here are a few that are worthy of mentioning that are in the area.

Not they he would leave his current situation at Johnson Central, but what about Jim Matney? Proven coach who is from EKY and will probably not leave.

What about one of the assistants from Belfry? Castle(sp?), Tackett are two young coaches that have been a part of state championship teams.

Shawn Hager, has done a great job with Sheldon Clark when everyone thought he would fall flat on his face when Matney left.

Chuke Williams is still in the area.

Mark Dixon from Hazard. May not sit well with some Pikeville folk, but has proven himself.

Again, dont know if any of these guys would want to leave their situations or would be a good fit for Pikeville but all of these guys have proven they can coach and may stick around for a while
jetpilot Wrote:Get the '99 staff back and I will reserve a suite at the Exeutive West for the next 10 years and all you dudes are invited...:letsparty

Why didn't you get your suit at the excutive West when those coaches where here in 1999?
Oh Yeah, Because you didn't make it to Louisville.
So what makes you think things would be different this time?:confused: Smile
[quote=God of Thunder]I am referring to the "main players" or the so-called football icons Copley and Jackson. They obviously are the ones who have guided the storied Pikeville Football tradition straight into the ground.[/QUOTE

Years before Jackson and Copley came to this school, the program was starting to slip. Because the lack of attention paid to the entire program. Stop pointing fingers at them, because you know what I'm saying is TRUE and so does everyone else in Pikeville.
If this wasn't true McNamee would not have gone to Pike Central, and someone on his staff would have gotten the job. But people realized lack of work was affecting the entire program, bottom to top.
My previous post should have included John DeRossett from P-burg. Another good EKY coach that made it to Louisville a few years ago.
jetpilot Wrote:If the whole community expresses their opinion, Copley won't be in the top 3. Nothing against him, but there simply are more qualified candidates out there. If your son is crying about the coaching situation and will only play for Copley and will change schools if necessary, well....Smile

What makes you so certain that someone will apply that is more qualified than Copley? In your opinion what are the qualities the Head Coach should posses.
And last, do you have a heart? well....Smile
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next