Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LC's Chandler Shepherd named All-American
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Just wondering Slim if you cought any Shepherd games during the summer run with Midland for the CM world series. I did not. I did see about 300 pitches or so at the Dunbar,Tates Creek tournies and E/W game. Also a few summer games before he left for Cinn. He was on a 60 pitch count by rehab. limit. Iunderstand that the Dunbar coaches clocked at 88 and at E/W 91. My whole point is that the people assigning AA status may have used data besides an East Ky. High School game. I don't know however. Also with a kid that can hit 500 and run 6.67 60's,you never know what the deal is. A U.K. coach recently told me they like their players to run between 6.6 and 6.8. That sounds to me like a kid who could also play at D-1 in the outfield.
And that could be his ticket. I do know for a fact that there is scout interest on the mound though. Like I said, 93 at a showcase as lofty as the one at Jupiter gets the word out quickly.
As I have said on here many times before,neither Pikeville nor Lawrence Co, has a cakewalk to apple city. I have the utmost respect for J.C. with coach Hall at the helm and a stable Parker on the mound. Paintsville with Jackson onthe mound and Miller and Williams in the boxes, are up to a win. Now this thread is heading in the wrong direction as do most. Done.
Can't take it anymore......EVERY single time someone posts anything about Shep on this forum it becomes a joke. He did this, this one beat that one, this one was 15, blah blah blah.........

This thread was opened as a simple congratulations to a kid who has worked his a** off to get where he is. SIMPLE as that.

Can we not simply commend him and congratulate him for that and for once just let it be??? He's a KID, just like every other kid in the 15th region. Let him enjoy his accomplishments without all the farce, for ONCE.

And for the record, I am not a "teeny bopper".:thanks:
Bob Seger Wrote:And that could be his ticket. I do know for a fact that there is scout interest on the mound though. Like I said, 93 at a showcase as lofty as the one at Jupiter gets the word out quickly.

Trust me my friend, there is major scout interest on the mound..
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Just wondering Slim if you cought any Shepherd games during the summer run with Midland for the CM world series. I did not. I did see about 300 pitches or so at the Dunbar,Tates Creek tournies and E/W game. Also a few summer games before he left for Cinn. He was on a 60 pitch count by rehab. limit. Iunderstand that the Dunbar coaches clocked at 88 and at E/W 91. My whole point is that the people assigning AA status may have used data besides an East Ky. High School game. I don't know however. Also with a kid that can hit 500 and run 6.67 60's,you never know what the deal is. A U.K. coach recently told me they like their players to run between 6.6 and 6.8. That sounds to me like a kid who could also play at D-1 in the outfield.

Make no mistake I know Chan very well and there is no one more proud of him than I am! I am so very much so thankful for those opportunties he was given away from Eastern Kentucky because it would have set him back if he did have to rely on them seeing an eastern Kentucky game. You really have to stop and think about what might have been if the surgery never took place? You really hope a talent like his is babied enough so that he never has to worry about surgery, but it didn't work out that way. I think UK will allow him to mature more and get well rounded to where scouts are really see what a great player and kid he is?

However, the point I was making was that Shep alone shouldn't have to carry that burden of beating Pikeville? You guys say if he's on the mound then Pikeville can't win and that's not the case at all. Pikeville has shown their will to win and have shown they have what it takes to play with anybody, including LC, no matter who is on the hill? Should be an absolute great atmosphere though, can't wait?
6.67? You sure?
"However, the point I was making was that Shep alone shouldn't have to carry that burden of beating Pikeville?"

My point as well JRS........doesn't anyone think hes under enough pressure as it is without eveyone arguing about him? Thank you!
Panther Thunder Wrote:6.67? You sure?

positive.
Nice honor for Shep! Congrats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Dawg@heart Wrote:positive.
Never realized his speed was that above average.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Trust me my friend, there is major scout interest on the mound..

Yes Maam, I am very much aware of that and by whom. I think I made that plain.

This is in no way a knock to Chandler but hitting 500 in Eastern Kentucky is largely skewed by the lack of competition. Just look at all the guys from various schools who hit 450, 500 or above. Hitting 500 or even better around here does not mean you can play D-1 baseball.
Big Dawg Wrote:Can't take it anymore......EVERY single time someone posts anything about Shep on this forum it becomes a joke. He did this, this one beat that one, this one was 15, blah blah blah.........

This thread was opened as a simple congratulations to a kid who has worked his a** off to get where he is. SIMPLE as that.

Can we not simply commend him and congratulate him for that and for once just let it be??? He's a KID, just like every other kid in the 15th region. Let him enjoy his accomplishments without all the farce, for ONCE.

And for the record, I am not a "teeny bopper".:thanks:

Very much aware of that as well. But even you cannot deny where I am coming from. Perhaps you as well should condemn your own fellow fans for instigating most of the controversy.
The facts are that Shep had surgery, and some people would have gave up hope on any baseball career after doing that, but he didn't. He worked his tail off in rehabilitation and his work ethic is unbelievable. He was a honorable mention last year not only for his pitching in previous seasons but his hitting. He is a great young man and a great mentor for the youth of Lawrence County. Shep we are proud of you man keep up the hard work...
Big Dawg Wrote:"However, the point I was making was that Shep alone shouldn't have to carry that burden of beating Pikeville?"

My point as well JRS........doesn't anyone think hes under enough pressure as it is without eveyone arguing about him? Thank you!

Again, you may want to hold a skull session with those in your own camp that have designated him with that responsibility.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:The facts are that Shep had surgery, and some people would have gave up hope on any baseball career after doing that, but he didn't. He worked his tail off in rehabilitation and his work ethic is unbelievable. He was a honorable mention last year not only for his pitching in previous seasons but his hitting. He is a great young man and a great mentor for the youth of Lawrence County. Shep we are proud of you man keep up the hard work...

Tommy John is about as common for pitchers as a twisted ankle any more. Perhaps not at his age, but for most anymore it is not a question of if , it's when, for Tommy John, rotator cuff, or labrum surgery. Most go through the same thing at one point in their career if they throw long enough.
[quote=Big Dawg]Can't take it anymore......EVERY single time someone posts anything about Shep on this forum it becomes a joke. He did this, this one beat that one, this one was 15, blah blah blah.........

And for the record, I am not a "teeny bopper".:thanks:[/Q

Agreed!
bulldog42 Wrote:BGR is becoming more like Topix! We've got a kid from Eastern Ky that is an All American and people start talking trash. For once can't people just say congrats to a great kid that has absolutly worked his tail off and overcome adversity most of us will never know?
Congrats Chan! I've always been proud of you and this is another great feat! Stay hungry + confident! Best of luck this year to you and LC!

Good comment! Try to focus on the good in stead of all the trash talk.

Congratulations Chandler.. I still remember you being the LFG Braves starting pitcher. You've made everyone proud!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Never realized his speed was that above average.

Mr. Hustle didn't say it was "above average" He said UK coaches look for 6.6-6.8 and that Shep's is 6.67.
Bob Seger Wrote:Very much aware of that as well. But even you cannot deny where I am coming from. Perhaps you as well should condemn your own fellow fans for instigating most of the controversy.

Point taken, but again its a bit unfair to lump all of us into one category. There are plenty of us with legitimate knowledge of this sport and our team, and our players.

If Tommy John is as common as a sprained ankle, why all the stigma ??
Dawg@heart Wrote:Point taken, but again its a bit unfair to lump all of us into one category. There are plenty of us with legitimate knowledge of this sport and our team, and our players.

I think Bob Segar was just trying to say that Tommy John surgery is not as uncommon as it once was. The number of TJ surgerys in this country has grown wildly and guys usually come back a lot easier than in the past, due to advances in the surgery. All the stigma is because most fans don't understand the surgery or the advances that have been made.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Mr. Hustle didn't say it was "above average" He said UK coaches look for 6.6-6.8 and that Shep's is 6.67.
From speedendurance.com on the subject of baseball 60-yard times in the MLB:

Quote:Most Major League Baseball (MLB) clubs look for times under 7.00 seconds. A 60 yard dash time between 6.7 – 6.9 usually equate to an average runner on the playing field.

In 2006, 189 different players were timed for 60 yards at the Puma All-American Event in Tuscon, AZ. Only 14 players were timed at 6.99 or faster (or about 7.5% who showed up for the test).
From Yardbarker.com (in association with foxsports.com) on the subject on Yankee 60 times:

Quote: The average MLB 60-yard time is about 6.8-7.0 seconds. Brett Gardner (College Freshman): 6.6 Derek Jeter (High School) 6.6 Greg Golson (High School) 6.4 Curtis Granderson (High School) 6.6 Slade Heathcott (High School) 6.7 Jamie Hoffman (College) 6.65 Austin Romine (High School) 6.7 Alex Rodriguez (High School) 6.5 I’m pretty positive Jeter can’t run a 6.6 anymore, and Alex can’t run a 6.5 (assumptions of course). But I wouldn’t be surprised if Gardner can run around a 6.3 by now.
So as you can see, if a 6.67 isn't above average then I'm not sure what is.

A 6.67 is absolutely booking it. I haven't seen him sprint really in a while so I can't say that it isn't true, but I have my doubts. My point is that if true, it is very above average.
Panther Thunder Wrote:From speedendurance.com on the subject of baseball 60-yard times in the MLB:

From Yardbarker.com (in association with foxsports.com) on the subject on Yankee 60 times:

So as you can see, if a 6.67 isn't above average then I'm not sure what is.

A 6.67 is absolutely booking it. I haven't seen him sprint really in a while so I can't say that it isn't true, but I have my doubts. My point is that if true, it is very above average.

A 6.67 is flying and unless he had really gotten faster, Shep doesn't move that well. Who timed this 6.67 sixty?
Dawg@heart Wrote:Point taken, but again its a bit unfair to lump all of us into one category. There are plenty of us with legitimate knowledge of this sport and our team, and our players.

You cant help but lump together. You and Big Dawg never post on here unless the conversation involves anything that gets said negatively about Shepherd, and you and he seem to be about the only two that really have a reality grasp on anything involving the game. Perhaps there are more as you suggest, but I cant name another Lawrence fan that posts on here. Sorry, I do have to include Mr. Hustle as well. He is very knowledgable. But that's about it. EDIT:Now I see that foxtrot has a very good understanding, but he has not been around before now.

As far as the Tommy John issue, I think that Foxtrot explained what I was meaning pretty well. I can certainly understand Chandler maybe being very emotional about the surgery, but anyone who really knows anything about the surgery knows that it is just a bump in the road anymore. Anybody thats has an understanding of the issue knows that anymore it is a very common issue along with the other two common injuries that I mentioned. If you throw long enough the chances are very high that one of them is going to come up and bite you. As far as a stigma it is associated only with those that really dont have an understanding.
foxtrot1 Wrote:A 6.67 is flying and unless he had really gotten faster, Shep doesn't move that well. Who timed this 6.67 sixty?

I have been to a bunch of really high profile showcases where there was not a single sub 7.0 sixty, while at others they may only have a couple, but not a legit 6.67. The kid that led the nation in D1 steals two years ago from Marshall only ran a 6.6 sixty.
foxtrot1 Wrote:A 6.67 is flying and unless he had really gotten faster, Shep doesn't move that well. Who timed this 6.67 sixty?

As far as TJ surgeries are concerned, it is probably like ACL surgeries. In the past a player just retired with bad knees, now we have ACL surgeries quite frequently. Tommy John cant be that old of a surgery because I still remember him playing. Dont know but that is a posibility. As Seger said it is fairly common, but the stigma is still attached like a rebuilt title on a car. It still runs fine just it is what it is. I hope Chandler suceeds and as CH said with his talent he could easily transition to a position player.

As far as speeds go, some people use stop watches and some use laser timers. The lasers take the human element out and are more accurate, human factor is probably somewhere plus or minus about 16 hundredths of a second. Chandler is fast and I could believe a 6.7, but I bet it was not laser timed.

Congrats again and go to UK and make eastern Kentucky proud.
Bob Seger Wrote:I have been to a bunch of really high profile showcases where there was not a single sub 7.0 sixty, while at others they may only have a couple, but not a legit 6.67. The kid that led the nation in D1 steals two years ago from Marshall only ran a 6.6 sixty.
When I attended the Doyle Baseball Academy winter camp in Winter Haven, out of the 45-60 High School kids there, the fastest times were both laser 6.9. A kid from Ashland and another from either Georgia or Florida I believe. It is not very common.

Who told you he ran a 6.67? As for the U.K coach who told you they like their players to run between a 6.6 and 6.8; Are you sure you weren't talking to a track coach? That is absolutley flying and I would bet most college teams don't have a single player that can run in that range. At most teams would have a couple, possibly 3 at the best schools.
foxtrot1 Wrote:Who told you he ran a 6.67? As for the U.K coach who told you they like their players to run between a 6.6 and 6.8; Are you sure you weren't talking to a track coach? That is absolutley flying and I would bet most college teams don't have a single player that can run in that range. At most teams would have a couple, possibly 3 at the best schools.

Trust me Baseball coaches at all levels fantasize about this. I've heard it from D-1 to NAIA D-2 coaches blowing this smoke. Yeah speed kills but only a few can run these times. I dont quite understand how a 60 relates to baseball anyway, that is covering basically half the outfield. A 30 would seem to be more relevant to me for baseball. Most college coaches want something under 7.0 though. 6.6 to 6.8 is a rare breed as PT pointed out in his research of Major League players.
As to the issue of speed and Chandler Shepherd,can we understand that The University of Kentucky has a criteria for speed with respect to it's baseball players? Can we further assume that C.S. as a U.K. recruit has met that requirement,whatever that may be. Whatever you choose to believe is of cource your choice. As to his capacity to hit and play the game posters have demeaned his skills even as he achieves All American Status,D-1Scholarship,and a Connie Mack World Series Championship. His bat has swung across the country not just in belittled E.K.where I am told everybody hits 500. Given his resume I choose to believe that he has hit the 6.67. Try asking the UK coaches or a scout if they think he can do it. They will be around the park. You know I sense an envy. I can honestly say that I don't envy that.