Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LC's Chandler Shepherd named All-American
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:As to the issue of speed and Chandler Shepherd,can we understand that The University of Kentucky has a criteria for speed with respect to it's baseball players? Can we further assume that C.S. as a U.K. recruit has met that requirement,whatever that may be. Whatever you choose to believe is of cource your choice. As to his capacity to hit and play the game posters have demeaned his skills even as he achieves All American Status,D-1Scholarship,and a Connie Mack World Series Championship. His bat has swung across the country not just in belittled E.K.where I am told everybody hits 500. Given his resume I choose to believe that he has hit the 6.67. Try asking the UK coaches or a scout if they think he can do it. They will be around the park. You know I sense an envy. I can honestly say that I don't envy that.

No envy here, he obviously is fast enough for UK and MLB scouts. I would assume most dont care what a pitcher runs. My point is that Coaches are the ones full of fantasy on the numbers. I know the kid can run.

Curious did he bat for Midland or pitch only.

He is the best I have seen in the 15th since I have been following starting in the mid 1990's.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:As to the issue of speed and Chandler Shepherd,can we understand that The University of Kentucky has a criteria for speed with respect to it's baseball players? Can we further assume that C.S. as a U.K. recruit has met that requirement,whatever that may be. Whatever you choose to believe is of cource your choice. As to his capacity to hit and play the game posters have demeaned his skills even as he achieves All American Status,D-1Scholarship,and a Connie Mack World Series Championship. His bat has swung across the country not just in belittled E.K.where I am told everybody hits 500. Given his resume I choose to believe that he has hit the 6.67. Try asking the UK coaches or a scout if they think he can do it. They will be around the park. You know I sense an envy. I can honestly say that I don't envy that.

No NCAA school has a requirement for how fast a player has to run. Sure they all wish guys could run a 6.7 and hit 15 HR, but those guys are far and few between. I wish Chandler well but his bat hasn't played across the country. He didn't hit for Midland. Ask him if you don't believe me. I was in no way belittleing Eastern Kentucky by stating that batting averages are skewed. They are and anyone with true knowledge and anyone who isn't wearing blinders can see this. Why do you think that just because someone says something that you disagree with it means they envy the player. People have opinions and just because they differ from yours it doesn't mean anyone envy's anything.

Lastly, all this is pointless because he's going to UK as a pitcher and will absolutely never swing a bat there.
foxtrot1 Wrote:No NCAA school has a requirement for how fast a player has to run. Sure they all wish guys could run a 6.7 and hit 15 HR, but those guys are far and few between. I wish Chandler well but his bat hasn't played across the country. He didn't hit for Midland. Ask him if you don't believe me. I was in no way belittleing Eastern Kentucky by stating that batting averages are skewed. They are and anyone with true knowledge and anyone who isn't wearing blinders can see this. Why do you think that just because someone says something that you disagree with it means they envy the player. People have opinions and just because they differ from yours it doesn't mean anyone envy's anything.

Lastly, all this is pointless because he's going to UK as a pitcher and will absolutely never swing a bat there.
One final thought and I am really done. speed endurance.com in a 2011 article entitled Baseball 60 yd Dash Time. What is a good Time? In the article they state that MLB looks for times under 7.0. Most average MLB players run between6.7 and 6.9.
But sometimes they do. If the shoe fits wear it if not great. Good deal and all that.If Chandler did not hit then that must mean he pitched? That's good enough for me. Never is a long time .
Seger I understand we have fans that get out of control just like every other school in Eastern KY. Some people get very arrogant on here and there are a lot of people that come on LC threads trying to stir the pot. It is what it is. This thread should be about congratulating Shep though and not Pikeville/LC or the fans.
I haven't seen Sheps times but I can tell you firsthand he almost beat Beflry his freshman year in football almost single handedly. He averaged right at 13-14 yds a carry vs them before getting hurt on about the 25yd line going in for the go ahead score in the 4th quarter. That was when LC was down. They had absolutly no answer for him running the ball and I'm not sure I've seen anybody else run through a Belfry defense like that (I say that with the upmost respect to Beflry's program). Chan's got wheels! He also has a lanky athletic body. He would have been one of the best football players in this area and if he wouldn't have been a D1 WR I think he would have been a D1 kicker. He's just one heck of an athlete! Could have been a nice basketball player too.
Chan had a dream and he is chasing it right now. I couldn't be more proud of him and our community feels the same way. I think sometimes people get carried away on here and don't realize the work people put in. Chan put in the work to get where he is. I really don't think people understand how mentally tough it is to get over the surgery he went through. You know what he did it. That mental toughness will carry him a long ways through tough times down the road. Excited to see him at UK and excited to see where his hard work takes him!
Commanche Wrote:Trust me Baseball coaches at all levels fantasize about this. I've heard it from D-1 to NAIA D-2 coaches blowing this smoke. Yeah speed kills but only a few can run these times. I dont quite understand how a 60 relates to baseball anyway, that is covering basically half the outfield. A 30 would seem to be more relevant to me for baseball. Most college coaches want something under 7.0 though. 6.6 to 6.8 is a rare breed as PT pointed out in his research of Major League players.

Oh, I can think of more than one scenerio. The one thing that glares immediately out to me is getting a runner in to score from second on a single, that obviously being that distance. And the ability for a player to be able to possibly strech a single into double and being automaticly in scoring position without having to waste a batter as a possible sacrifice hitter or risk getting that runner that hit a single thrown out at second with a steal attempt to get into scoring position.
Bob Seger Wrote:Oh, I can think of more than one scenerio. The one thing that glares immediately out to me is getting a runner in to score from second on a single, that obviously being that distance. And the ability for a player to be able to possibly strech a single into double and being automaticly in scoring position without having to waste a batter as a possible sacrifice hitter or risk getting that runner that hit a single thrown out at second with a steal attempt to get into scoring position.

First to Third will require about 110 feet with the turn. Also since it isnt a straight line then it may not translate if the burner doesnt run the right route on the turn. I bet many 7.1 guys can beat 6.9 guys from first to third.

:Thumbs:
Commanche Wrote:First to Third will require about 110 feet with the turn. Also since it isnt a straight line then it may not translate if the burner doesnt run the right route on the turn. I bet many 7.1 guys can beat 6.9 guys from first to third.

In some cases a slower smart runner is better than an all out speed merchant.
They dont for a pitcher.
I just have two things to say on this. As far as his speed time is concerned? Who cares? Their not going to have a stop watch on him walking from the dugout to the mound so it really makes no difference at all! As for everyone hitting .500 in Eastern Ky? It's a combination of reasons actually. 1. Most high school coaches in the area don't keep an accurate book. It has a lot to do with them not having staff to do it and they either get a kid to do it or a parent? Your just not going to get accurate stats that way. 2. Also it has to do with awards. When coaches go to region meetings and their around other coaches with more dominant players they are going to smudge the books to help their kids out, and that's just reality. Now, does anybody really know if a kid legitamely had those numbers? No, but most schools that go and play away from the area and have respectable Coaches with great backgrounds in baseball keep it right, and they are the ones that can't stand when coaches do things that. All I'm saying is when you see a phelps team with a 6-30 record with 5 players hitting over .500 something is dead wrong? Of course that'd never happen because phelps would never play 36 games? I have nothing against phelps they were just my example. I'm sure it's a great place?
Can we just give this kid his props and be done with this thread. He is very talented and coming from Eastern KY we ALL should be proud of him. When we travel away from home and someone mentions Chandler's name, we should say, "I know that kid, and he is good at what he does". Just like everything else in this area, if the adults would act like adults, there wouldn't be any problems. If you all want to argue and such, go ahead, but do it in person or private messages. Quit arguing over how fast or not this kid is. Good Luck to you Shep this season and your future.
Chandler is a very special player, if you get a chance to see him you should. As far as as getting a college scholarship goes running speed is just one factor a scout looks at, arm, hitting, glove, grades are all considerations, an must be due to lack of scholarships. D-! only has 11 point something scholarships per team. They have to be very selective in giving scholarships. As far as fielding positions go, pro scouts focus more on speed. Pro scouts want to know has the arm and how fast are ya, they figure they can teach you the rest of those two things are exceptional. As far pitching goes pro scouts look at velocity, control, and maybe most importantly at the physical makeup of the pitcher, is he going to get stronger, will his arm take the abuse and body hold up. It is a guessing game, quite simply, that is why college is a good choice for some because it answers some of these questions.
Good luck this year Chandler and the best for your future all of Eastern Kentucky will be watching and hoping for your success.
Shepherd Is playing Outfield at Kentucky. He was Recruited as pitcher, then made into a dual player by the coaches at uk. good luck shep
FiveStar Wrote:Shepherd Is playing Outfield at Kentucky. He was Recruited as pitcher, then made into a dual player by the coaches at uk. good luck shep

I'm somewhat confused? He's not set foot on campus yet or has practiced with the team? How in the world has the UK coaching staff already turned him into a "dual player" without him being at practice? If I was guessing I would say that is a very good possibility, but its not going to be something they decide on before he even shows up? It'll probably be a deal where they see how much his pitching will be used, and if its going to be used frequently then I very seriously doubt they will put him in the outfield? However, if he gets there and they see he may have a year or so to get to where he needs to be, they could possibly red shirt him or do what you said and use him some in the outfield. No college coach is going to make that decision before the kid even gets there. This is the SEC not the 57th district.
See what I mean?

It's the water , I'm tellin ya, It's the water!! LOL
Bob Seger Wrote:See what I mean?

It's the water , I'm tellin ya, It's the water!! LOL

I think Louisa is filled with really great people, but there are a couple that figured out how to work a computer and it just spiraled out of control!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think Louisa is filled with really great people, but there are a couple that figured out how to work a computer and it just spiraled out of control!
:lmao:
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I just have two things to say on this. As far as his speed time is concerned? Who cares? Their not going to have a stop watch on him walking from the dugout to the mound so it really makes no difference at all! As for everyone hitting .500 in Eastern Ky? It's a combination of reasons actually. 1. Most high school coaches in the area don't keep an accurate book. It has a lot to do with them not having staff to do it and they either get a kid to do it or a parent? Your just not going to get accurate stats that way. 2. Also it has to do with awards. When coaches go to region meetings and their around other coaches with more dominant players they are going to smudge the books to help their kids out, and that's just reality. Now, does anybody really know if a kid legitamely had those numbers? No, but most schools that go and play away from the area and have respectable Coaches with great backgrounds in baseball keep it right, and they are the ones that can't stand when coaches do things that. All I'm saying is when you see a phelps team with a 6-30 record with 5 players hitting over .500 something is dead wrong? Of course that'd never happen because phelps would never play 36 games? I have nothing against phelps they were just my example. I'm sure it's a great place?

That was my point exactly. There are several schools who win five or ten game a year but have five guys hitting .550. It's just not possible and anyone who understands this area can see it.
FiveStar Wrote:Shepherd Is playing Outfield at Kentucky. He was Recruited as pitcher, then made into a dual player by the coaches at uk. good luck shep

I'm not going to slam you because you were probably misinformed by someone else. However, this is not possible because he still has a year left of high school ball. Secondly, do you know how many dual players UK has had in the recent years? Very, Very few. Chandler won't be the next and that is fine. His future is on the mound and I for one think he'll do just fine.
foxtrot1 Wrote:I'm not going to slam you because you were probably misinformed by someone else. However, this is not possible because he still has a year left of high school ball. Secondly, do you know how many dual players UK has had in the recent years? Very, Very few. Chandler won't be the next and that is fine. His future is on the mound and I for one think he'll do just fine.

Talked to shep myself and he will be a dual player at uk recruited as a pitcher.

When coaches recruit players as you should know they talk to them and let them know what they have in plan for them,
they have a plan for everyone as they come in and its up to them to live up to that expectation...
SweetTea Wrote:Talked to shep myself and he will be a dual player at uk recruited as a pitcher.

When coaches recruit players as you should know they talk to them and let them know what they have in plan for them,
they have a plan for everyone as they come in and its up to them to live up to that expectation...

You may be right? I just don't see a D1 coach in the SEC making a committment like that without the kid even being on campus? You would think if he was recruited as a pitcher then that is what he'd be atleast until he attended the first practice, and maybe after that they decide to make him a utility player? Like I said though you could be exactly right and i'm completely wrong? Either way he'll have a great career there, and possibly even come out after his junior year?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You may be right? I just don't see a D1 coach in the SEC making a committment like that without the kid even being on campus? You would think if he was recruited as a pitcher then that is what he'd be atleast until he attended the first practice, and maybe after that they decide to make him a utility player? Like I said though you could be exactly right and i'm completely wrong? Either way he'll have a great career there, and possibly even come out after his junior year?

from my understanding he's on as a pitcher being what he was recruited for but the coach wants him to play outfield too if things work out which he is more then capable of. If something happens and that dont work out either way he will be successful.

its not uncommon in college baseball to see outfielders come in a throw a few innings on relief and close some games out on a regular basis.

With the talent Shep has he can be used in multiple ways to help a club win and im sure they see that and want to utilize it to there best advantage.

he may be an everyday outfielder, pitcher or a lill of both, only time will tell.
best of luck
-
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:One final thought and I am really done. speed endurance.com in a 2011 article entitled Baseball 60 yd Dash Time. What is a good Time? In the article they state that MLB looks for times under 7.0. Most average MLB players run between6.7 and 6.9.
But sometimes they do. If the shoe fits wear it if not great. Good deal and all that.If Chandler did not hit then that must mean he pitched? That's good enough for me. Never is a long time .

:Clap: exactly
SweetTea Wrote:from my understanding he's on as a pitcher being what he was recruited for but the coach wants him to play outfield too if things work out which he is more then capable of. If something happens and that dont work out either way he will be successful.

its not uncommon in college baseball to see outfielders come in a throw a few innings on relief and close some games out on a regular basis.

With the talent Shep has he can be used in multiple ways to help a club win and im sure they see that and want to utilize it to there best advantage.

he may be an everyday outfielder, pitcher or a lill of both, only time will tell.
best of luck
-
Mike McGee, All-American OF for FSU, is the Seminoles' closer as well. So it is possible. They also have used Friday starter, Sean Gilmartin, as an OF replacement in Defense for Offense situations.

So, it is definitely possible. I think it'd be fun to see Chandler in a role like that.
Congrats to Sheperd and good luck this upcoming season!
SweetTea Wrote:from my understanding he's on as a pitcher being what he was recruited for but the coach wants him to play outfield too if things work out which he is more then capable of. If something happens and that dont work out either way he will be successful.

best of luck
-

It is very common, but like I said it really all depends on how much he's going to be used on the mound? If he's going to be a starter then he is a lot less likely to play outfielder, but if he's going to be in relief then it's a complete different story. A lot of times it just depends on the coach? I know a lot of coaches that absolutely refuse to let their pitchers do anything else but pitch? There's a lot of factors that'll play into it though.
Commanche Wrote:Seger was just stating a fact. People need to be careful what is said on these forums, the KHSAA may me monitoring themselves.

Congrats Chandler, he is a special talent. Cant wait for my Panthers to beat an All-American. Dont take this wrong, but it will only add to the rivalry.

If the ALL AMERICAN pitches might as well throw your bats in the trashcan....:eyeroll:
9-POINT Wrote:If the ALL AMERICAN pitches might as well throw your bats in the trashcan....:eyeroll:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Clap:

Guys like you obviously make it Sweeter. Hate to get into it with a fellow deer hunter, but oh well. Cant wait.
9-POINT Wrote:If the ALL AMERICAN pitches might as well throw your bats in the trashcan....:eyeroll:

I think this is why people get upset at LC fans?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think this is why people get upset at LC fans?
why because LC has better players than them? has had more success than them?
has the best field and facilities in eastern ky?