Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LC's Chandler Shepherd named All-American
SweetTea Wrote:why because LC has better players than them? has had more success than them?
has the best field and facilities in eastern ky?

You may need to check your stats on that one? Before LC came to the 15th Pikeville ruled the roost for the most part and LC was a shadow of Boyd County. If I remember a lot of first round district losses for LC back in those days? I do support LC very much and it has nothing to do with them having better players? It has to do with the misplaced arrogance that runs thru some of their posts. They live for drama and on a site like this they know how to push buttons, and thats what some of them do. Nothing personal, just saying...
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You may need to check your stats on that one? Before LC came to the 15th Pikeville ruled the roost for the most part and LC was a shadow of Boyd County. If I remember a lot of first round district losses for LC back in those days? I do support LC very much and it has nothing to do with them having better players? It has to do with the misplaced arrogance that runs thru some of their posts. They live for drama and on a site like this they know how to push buttons, and thats what some of them do. Nothing personal, just saying...

Great Post! How many times do you see Pikeville fans starting a bunch of Arrogant threads on here about how good they are? None that is the number, we let the games play out on the field. LC fans such as Sweet Pea give the school a bad name with these rediculous posts. I have nothing but respect for there program, coach and AD(former coach), but the Jokes that post on these sights make everyone not like them.

Again LC will be good this year and they always are. My advice is ACT LIKE YOU HAVE DONE IT BEFORE AND QUIT ACTING SO SURPRISED. PIKEVILLE beat you in 2010 but that does nothing for us in 2011, everybody's record is 0-0 per the KHSAA right now. Good luck, cant wait to meet LC, JC, Paintsville and SC on the field and let the chips fall where they may. A real team would Vote to seed if they thought they were that good. LC has voted to Draw everytime I am pretty sure.:please:
Commanche Wrote:Great Post! How many times do you see Pikeville fans starting a bunch of Arrogant threads on here about how good they are? None that is the number, we let the games play out on the field. LC fans such as Sweet Pea give the school a bad name with these rediculous posts. I have nothing but respect for there program, coach and AD(former coach), but the Jokes that post on these sights make everyone not like them.

Again LC will be good this year and they always are. My advice is ACT LIKE YOU HAVE DONE IT BEFORE AND QUIT ACTING SO SURPRISED. PIKEVILLE beat you in 2010 but that does nothing for us in 2011, everybody's record is 0-0 per the KHSAA right now. Good luck, cant wait to meet LC, JC, Paintsville and SC on the field and let the chips fall where they may. A real team would Vote to seed if they thought they were that good. LC has voted to Draw everytime I am pretty sure.:please:

I think in 2008 they voted to seed, but after that it was always a draw vote, but they hold all the chips because they are always the deciding vote. Magoffin and Sheldon Clark will always vote to draw and JC and Paintsville will always vote to seed, so LC comes in making all the decisions.
I find it odd that people on here navigate away from what the topic really ensues, and that's Shepp receiving a prestigious award that not many High Schoolers can even dream of. Look at the post from some of the people on this forum. It's ridiculous! There shouldn't be any posts about a potential rematch between LC and Pikeville, or any team in the matter. It's about Chandler. No other teams, no other players- it's what Chandler did that got him here. Stop posting stuff about pitching speeds and other nonsense. Just congratulate him for this awesome accolade to add to his stats.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You may need to check your stats on that one? Before LC came to the 15th Pikeville ruled the roost for the most part and LC was a shadow of Boyd County. If I remember a lot of first round district losses for LC back in those days? I do support LC very much and it has nothing to do with them having better players? It has to do with the misplaced arrogance that runs thru some of their posts. They live for drama and on a site like this they know how to push buttons, and thats what some of them do. Nothing personal, just saying...

Actually since 1995 the 15th region has been very balanced between 3 different schools. I wouldn't say that one particular school has been anyone that has "ruled the roost" since then. Since 1995 Pikeville has won (5) regional championships, Johnson Central (4), and Paintsville (3). Pikeville, prior to Dave Thomas, I dont dont think Pikeville was considered a year in and year out powerhouse, but they have been one of the most consistant programs in the 15th since. However it can also be said the same for JC and Paintsville. Paintsville has not won a regional title since 2001, but they have always been right there in the mix, excluding the last 2-3 years. When you go back prior to 1995 other than the "82 and "83 championship years for Johnson Central, Paintsville is the one who has completely "ruled the roost" for probably 25 years. Nobody has dominated the 15th region like Paintsville has (excluding the last 10 years) for probably 40 years now..

Here is the rundown of 15th Region Champions since 1995.

1995-Johnson Central
1996-Johnson Central
1997-Paintsville
1998-Pikeville
1999-Pikeville
2000-Paintsville
2001-Paintsville
2002-Pikeville
2003-Allen Central
2004-Johnson Central
2005-Pikeville
2006-Sheldon Clark
2007-Johnson Central
2008-Lawrence Co.
2009-Lawrence Co.
2010-Pikeville

I think Lawrence Co. won a 16th regional championship in 2003, and anything prior to that I am not sure of, but for the most part Boyd Co. has controlled the 16th region with ease, other than the "04 Ashland team, and the Greenup Co teams of the last couple of years.
Congratulations to Chandler for being named to the 2011 Louisville Slugger Pre Season High School All-American Team as a Multi-Position player. Great honor. Looking forward to seeing you play this year.
Well Seger thanks for the rundown. That was good research, but I'm going to have to disagree with you about Pikeville. However, I will agree that paintsville has had consistently more talented teams, but they got in a slump to where they'd have let downs in the post season. When you think back to when chris Lawson was at Pikeville there was not a more dominant team than Pikeville in the 15th, especially towards the late 90's. I guess what I was trying to get across to him was that he made a comment about LC has "always" been a dominant team, and that just wasn't the case. Some of the best teams LC has ever had have never seen the regional tournament. LC entered the 15th during a talent surge in Louisa so that automatically put them atop the region. They are a great program with great players, but sometimes they loose sight of the traditions other schools have? Paintsville has a state championship, Pikeville has been on top of the 15th every year, and JC has also been a dominant force in the region. I think Belfry lives in the shadow of football so much they may never get over the hump, but they have a great coach in place to do so. I think LC came into the region with a superiority complex and that's why everybody has a chip on their shoulder towards them because that attitude has never humbled. I think Commanche made a good point when he said what he did about acting like you've been there before. It's called class. There are all kinds of dominant teams around the state who win year after year, however, no one has a problem with them because they do it the right way. Those teams who win championships without having respect for your opponents will have short lived success. However, coaches and parents who teach their kids to have respect for the teams they beat as well as the teams they loose too, will eventually build up a program that everyone will respect and route for. Prime example=Harrison County. Some may not like their coach, but they do things the right way and they continue to have success.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Well Seger thanks for the rundown. That was good research, but I'm going to have to disagree with you about Pikeville. However, I will agree that paintsville has had consistently more talented teams, but they got in a slump to where they'd have let downs in the post season. When you think back to when chris Lawson was at Pikeville there was not a more dominant team than Pikeville in the 15th, especially towards the late 90's. I guess what I was trying to get across to him was that he made a comment about LC has "always" been a dominant team, and that just wasn't the case. Some of the best teams LC has ever had have never seen the regional tournament. LC entered the 15th during a talent surge in Louisa so that automatically put them atop the region. They are a great program with great players, but sometimes they loose sight of the traditions other schools have? Paintsville has a state championship, Pikeville has been on top of the 15th every year, and JC has also been a dominant force in the region. I think Belfry lives in the shadow of football so much they may never get over the hump, but they have a great coach in place to do so. I think LC came into the region with a superiority complex and that's why everybody has a chip on their shoulder towards them because that attitude has never humbled. I think Commanche made a good point when he said what he did about acting like you've been there before. It's called class. There are all kinds of dominant teams around the state who win year after year, however, no one has a problem with them because they do it the right way. Those teams who win championships without having respect for your opponents will have short lived success. However, coaches and parents who teach their kids to have respect for the teams they beat as well as the teams they loose too, will eventually build up a program that everyone will respect and route for. Prime example=Harrison County. Some may not like their coach, but they do things the right way and they continue to have success.

Actually Wabbit, I think those late 90's Pikeville teams were Dave Thomas'. I dont think Lawson became coach until sometime after the turn of the century.(Sounds funny doesn't it?). Regardless, the late 90's is when Pikeville became the program they are now. I dont they were considered a very strong program until then. I am sure Commanche or Panther Thunder can give an exact account of when the coaching transition occured and when the emmergence of Pikeville baseball first occured. Very importantly I dont think that Pikeville, in the years starting since around '03 can lay claim to their success lying anywhere but due to an independent summer program that developed a lot of the talent. Lawson is receiving way more credit than he should, while Proide has been kind of snickered at for the most part. It'll be interesting to see where the program goes in the future when the independent summer development for these guys ends. I think in the future you'll see what I'm talking about.

Concerning, the era I mentioned, for the most part I think there was not a nickels worth of difference in all three programs, just more or less who got hot and got the breaks when tournament time rolled around. Those teams in the late ninties and early 2000's were the years of some very good Johnson Central and Paintsville teams as well. In fact they were some of the better teams and collection of talents in those respective schools history. Again talent wise, a mirror image in all 3 schools for the better part of the 2000's. I think the balance in regional championship and when and how they were sparadically won by all three schools demonstrates that.

But bottom line the comments concerning Lawrence Co.'s nutty fans I agree 100%. But then again I think you'll agree with me that for the most part most of those poster's couldn't even tell you who even played for Lawrence Co. as recent as possibly 2005. They are not old enough to even remember anything concerning that team.
"L.C. Chandler Shepherd named All-American" vs. "A Historical and Analytic View Of 15th Regional Baseball". Which is it? I really don't know. Please don't do a role reversal and end up in Kindergarbage. Excellent posts but wrong place. Let me propose a question to get this back on track. When was the last time a player from the 15th was granted All-American Status in any sport? Then how about East of Lexington? I think Couch did in Football and about 1962-63 Mike Minnix from Paintsville did in football. Tim Couch of cource played at UK and later briefly in NFL. Minnix played about a year at UK , went to medical school and is a retired surgeon living in Lexington. Minnix was the greatest over-all athlete I ever had the opportunity to watch play at the high school level.
Bob Seger Wrote:Actually Wabbit, I think those late 90's Pikeville teams were Dave Thomas'. I dont think Lawson became coach until sometime after the turn of the century.(Sounds funny doesn't it?). Regardless, the late 90's is when Pikeville became the program they are now. I dont they were considered a very strong program until then. I am sure Commanche or Panther Thunder can give an exact account of when the coaching transition occured and when the emmergence of Pikeville baseball first occured. Very importantly I dont think that Pikeville, in the years starting since around '03 can lay claim to their success lying anywhere but due to an independent summer program that developed a lot of the talent. Lawson is receiving way more credit than he should, while Proide has been kind of snickered at for the most part. It'll be interesting to see where the program goes in the future when the independent summer development for these guys ends. I think in the future you'll see what I'm talking about.

Concerning, the era I mentioned, for the most part I think there was not a nickels worth of difference in all three programs, just more or less who got hot and got the breaks when tournament time rolled around. Those teams in the late ninties and early 2000's were the years of some very good Johnson Central and Paintsville teams as well. In fact they were some of the better teams and collection of talents in those respective schools history. Again talent wise, a mirror image in all 3 schools for the better part of the 2000's. I think the balance in regional championship and when and how they were sparadically won by all three schools demonstrates that.

But bottom line the comments concerning Lawrence Co.'s nutty fans I agree 100%. But then again I think you'll agree with me that for the most part most of those poster's couldn't even tell you who even played for Lawrence Co. as recent as possibly 2005. They are not old enough to even remember anything concerning that team.
Dave Thomas coached his last baseball game May 30th, 1997 in a 3-0 loss to Betsy Layne in the regional tournament.

Meaning Lawson took over in 1998.

Thomas (3) 1991, 1992, 1993
Lawson (4) 1998, 1999, 2002, 2005
Priode (1) 2010

I agree 110% about the summer program. It is vital to Pikeville's success. We saw from 07-08 until early 09 that it is important. The players in that span were Feb-Jun guys. And it is about to be the same way. And it is a problem that may not be fixable for a number of years. Hopefully someone will continue the work that the Bombers have done. And I think it needs to be stressed to the younger players that are in 6th grade now, they needs to start playing in the summer and fall. Because it is hard, in baseball, to get behind and then catch up in high school. It starts early. I think Pikeville would be smart to get an organized system in place such as Danville has with Morse and the Mustangs. That way, you know what age groups you have, and coaches can change often without a disruption in the system. Somebody like Mike Spears would be a good General Manager type to keep everything in line, but not have to put in all the hours and miles that it requires.

If Pikeville wants to maintain its success, something to this effect with have to be done. Summer and Fall are too important to be ignored.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Dave Thomas coached his last baseball game May 30th, 1997 in a 3-0 loss to Betsy Layne in the regional tournament.

Meaning Lawson took over in 1998.

Thomas (3) 1991, 1992, 1993
Lawson (4) 1998, 1999, 2002, 2005
Priode (1) 2010

I agree 110% about the summer program. It is vital to Pikeville's success. We saw from 07-08 until early 09 that it is important. The players in that span were Feb-Jun guys. And it is about to be the same way. And it is a problem that may not be fixable for a number of years. Hopefully someone will continue the work that the Bombers have done. And I think it needs to be stressed to the younger players that are in 6th grade now, they needs to start playing in the summer and fall. Because it is hard, in baseball, to get behind and then catch up in high school. It starts early. I think Pikeville would be smart to get an organized system in place such as Danville has with Morse and the Mustangs. That way, you know what age groups you have, and coaches can change often without a disruption in the system. Somebody like Mike Spears would be a good General Manager type to keep everything in line, but not have to put in all the hours and miles that it requires.

If Pikeville wants to maintain its success, something to this effect with have to be done. Summer and Fall are too important to be ignored.
Thanks PT. I knew if anybody knew the ins and outs of the Panther program it was you. I guess I was off a few years, but am I right in that Thomas pretty much set the standard for the Pikeville program?

So my apologies Jackrabbit you were correct in the Lawson era.
Bob Seger Wrote:Thanks PT. I knew if anybody knew the ins and outs of the Panther program it was you. I guess I was off a few years, but am I right in that Thomas pretty much set the standard for the Pikeville program?
Agreed. I think Thomas left the program at a good point and Lawson took advantage and elevated it a little bit more. I think the program is at a pretty big point in the next few seasons. If the summer program ceases to exsist, Priode will have to prove he can develop players at a good rate from little league and up. I hope that he proves that he can be that 3rd coach to continually elevate the program.
It's crazy to me that Priode is actually still there because I remember two years ago a lot of the parents and administrators as well as alumni were really pushing to replace him? Then last year they do what they did and all that talk went by the waste side. So did Priode make the difference or was it indeed the summer program? Also, where are people at with his future?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:It's crazy to me that Priode is actually still there because I remember two years ago a lot of the parents and administrators as well as alumni were really pushing to replace him? Then last year they do what they did and all that talk went by the waste side. So did Priode make the difference or was it indeed the summer program? Also, where are people at with his future?
Winning has a way of making that talk go away. We will see what it was when this group leaves. If the 2012 and 2013 seasons are not successful, the talk will heat up again. The question is, will there be enough interest in the program to matter? If there was the same interest, someone would have stepped up to the plate and taken the time and energy to have the next batch prepared. I'm not sure that is the case. It really worries me.

Hopefully the staff has had time to mature and learn what works and what doesn't. I don't think Pikeville should settle for mediocrity. No doubt this group is very talented. It will be interesting to see how the program deals with the loss and replacing. I will give Coach Priode a lot of credit for moving McDonald to CF, Keene to RF, Ratliff to C, and Hamilton to 1B. These moves made an average defense into a spectacular defense. Hopefully that is a good indication of growth as a head coach.

Time will tell. If anyone wants to go more in depth, feel free to PM me as not to take away anymore from the thread topic.
THExBURCHINATER Wrote:I find it odd that people on here navigate away from what the topic really ensues, and that's Shepp receiving a prestigious award that not many High Schoolers can even dream of. Look at the post from some of the people on this forum. It's ridiculous! There shouldn't be any posts about a potential rematch between LC and Pikeville, or any team in the matter. It's about Chandler. No other teams, no other players- it's what Chandler did that got him here. Stop posting stuff about pitching speeds and other nonsense. Just congratulate him for this awesome accolade to add to his stats.

Great post...
its a ashame you cant even get on here and congratulate someone without pikeville fans trying to start an arguement and ruin things.
Payback starts the 15th
thewiz Wrote:Great post...
its a ashame you cant even get on here and congratulate someone without pikeville fans trying to start an arguement and ruin things.
Payback starts the 15th
Ruin things? That's the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever heard it.

There has been some of the best discussion in recent months in the baseball forum in this thread. It got a little off-course, but that is not a problem. The discussion was good and derived from the core of the thread. If people still want to add their congratulations to Chan, they can still do so. I was one of the first to give my congratulations. Something that I do not feel would be reciprocated if the roles were reversed in this situation. Good, off-topic discussion is still good discussion. It does not do anything to bother anyone. Simply skip past the discussion you don't want to read.

And as for the 'payback'.
Payback for what?
Good post Thunder but as long as you have that rediculus avatar I'm not going to quote it? Haha! I'm kidding
Chandler Shepherd has recieved approximately 46 posts concerning in some way his selection as All-American. There have been approximately 59 posts that cover everything from who has or had the best team to when Granny last had a shower. As to the position and intent of posters,juvenile is juvenile regardless of scholastic competency. I sure hope the state at large missed this thread. Come on mods. It's time for closure.:please::please::please:
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Chandler Shepherd has recieved approximately 46 posts concerning in some way his selection as All-American. There have been approximately 59 posts that cover everything from who has or had the best team to when Granny last had a shower. As to the position and intent of posters,juvenile is juvenile regardless of scholastic competency. I sure hope the state at large missed this thread. Come on mods. It's time for closure.:please::please::please:

There is nothing wrong with people discussing things like that? It just so happened to come out of a conversation about Chandler, but I don't think anyone intended to take away from what the thread was for, but it is possible for people to branch off one conversation and start on another one? It's called Adult A.D.D. and most of the world has it!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Ruin things? That's the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever heard it.

There has been some of the best discussion in recent months in the baseball forum in this thread. It got a little off-course, but that is not a problem. The discussion was good and derived from the core of the thread. If people still want to add their congratulations to Chan, they can still do so. I was one of the first to give my congratulations. Something that I do not feel would be reciprocated if the roles were reversed in this situation. Good, off-topic discussion is still good discussion. It does not do anything to bother anyone. Simply skip past the discussion you don't want to read.

And as for the 'payback'.
Payback for what?
Hit the nail on the head.. The only thing I like about your signature is the picture was taken on LC nice field. lol Just playing man.. Cant wait to get the season started.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Hit the nail on the head.. The only thing I like about your signature is the picture was taken on LC nice field. lol Just playing man.. Cant wait to get the season started.
Amen. One week.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Amen. One week.

Actually less than that...6 DAYS BABY!!!!!

Of course I used blue because you know it's my favorite color...:biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Congrats,
all of this other talk other than talk of shep should be done on another thread.
this is nothing but a slap in the face to him after all of his hard work and accomplishments.
Goodluck Shep and LC
rolltide Wrote:Congrats,
all of this other talk other than talk of shep should be done on another thread.
this is nothing but a slap in the face to him after all of his hard work and accomplishments.
Goodluck Shep and LC

Goodluck Shep and good luck rolltide at staying on here as a member with that attitude. Not one poster on here has said anything negative at all about Chan. He is a great player. :eyeroll:
Congratulation to Chandler on this accomplishment. This is a HUGE honor for not only an eastern Kentucky athlete but any athlete in the tri-state area.

As for the district tournament, it will be seeded for the 2011 season.

One last thing. This is a question for Commanche, Panther Thunder, and JackRabbitSlim. Do you notice the same attitude from the fans at LC games that you talk about here? I'm just asking out of curiosity. I am a fan of LC sports and don't seem to notice it at the actual events. I read these boards often (but don't usually reply, maybe will do more to "hopefully" add some integrity to the Bulldog fanbase). I also notice the attitude you guys mention on here. It does get under my skin and wish they would just shut up. However, I can narrow it down to about 5 or 6 people who are more than likely kids who should know better but for some reason choose not to.

About 62 hours until practice!!
Fan of all Sports Wrote:Congratulation to Chandler on this accomplishment. This is a HUGE honor for not only an eastern Kentucky athlete but any athlete in the tri-state area.

One last thing. This is a question for Commanche, Panther Thunder, and JackRabbitSlim. Do you notice the same attitude from the fans at LC games that you talk about here? I'm just asking out of curiosity. I am a fan of LC sports and don't seem to notice it at the actual events. I read these boards often (but don't usually reply, maybe will do more to "hopefully" add some integrity to the Bulldog fanbase). I also notice the attitude you guys mention on here. It does get under my skin and wish they would just shut up. However, I can narrow it down to about 5 or 6 people who are more than likely kids who should know better but for some reason choose not to.

Great post and I agree, the fans at the games are great. I am actually good friends with many LC fans myself. You should post more on here. I am Glad they are seeding, KHSAA should make it mandatory as that would put the best field in the Region tourney.

Chan's accomplishment is that much better because it came from the mountains. Usually they are California, Texas, Florida, and other warm weather states that garner all the attention. Congrats to him again.
Fan of all Sports Wrote:Congratulation to Chandler on this accomplishment. This is a HUGE honor for not only an eastern Kentucky athlete but any athlete in the tri-state area.

I think some of you misunderstand a lot of things apparently? I am a LC supporter, however, I am not a fan of ignorance.
Bob Seger Wrote:I agree, but with a little less arrogance from the out of control Lawrence Co. teeny bopper crowd a lot more people would be able to root for Lawrence in a lot of different things.

Two Replies later Mr. Charlie Hustle "couldn't agree more."

JRS I apologize. These were the message I was replying to.

I should have looked back through the thread. Was trying to go from memory and got confused. I guess I meant to refer that question to Bob Seger and Mr. Charlie Hustle.

Fans at the game are perfectly fine, from what I have seen. Now LCA, that's a different story :biggrin:
SweetTea Wrote:lyons is a freshman in college and parker doesnt even compare to shep, neither does jackson or anyone else in the 15th region. they are all good but shep is elite, hes the all american, hes going to uk(SEC) they arent.
sorry
yes teams have a shot at beating LC im not saying there are unbeatable, but with shep on the mound this year i dont see any team in the 15th beating them.
and they matchup great with anyone else when shep isnt pitching,
looking forward to pikeville vs LC in the 15th championship.

What I find amazing after all these months is when someone starts a thread about Shepherd that the Austin Lyons' name is usually mentioned in one form or another. This person makes it sound like if a young person doesn't go to UK then he isn't any good. The only ones who want to make it a competition between Shepherd and Lyons are the so called knowledgable ones from LC. Let it go man!! Lyons is playing ball in Pikeville while getting a 100% free academic ride toward whatever he chooses to do in the future (whether that's after baseball or not). If Shepherd gets his ride through baseball then that's great for him too.

Congrats to Shepherd. Good luck with this year and your future.