Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disabled pitcher cut from high school baseball team
this is such a touchy topic.
I honestly dont believe he was cut because of disability, well I will say cut on 100% disability. First of all he was only on espn because of his disability and average baseball talent but without his disability would he be on espn? no.
he shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence as bryce harper.
I feel bad for the kid, I mean he deserves credit and it amazes me that he can do what he does but look at it from a coaches standpoint.
All he can do is pitch, he cant move good, cant bat very well, and pitches average at best. 80's in highschool isnt that rare anymore.
If I am building a team I want "complete players" someone who can hit, play defense, baserun or pitch atleast be good in 3 of those areas.
since all he would be doing is pitching I can see why he was cut on a team with so many kids, you want the best all around players on your team. Now should he have atleast been able to stay on as a JV player, yeah probably 80's pitching alone is good for JV atleast around here anyways. Problem is we dont know what kind of talent or how many kids that team has. Fact is it would be a big problem for him to field, hit, run.
I was amazed and I'm sure the coach was too and he took that in consideration when making his decision. Jv is to develope an groom your future varsity players.
When you get to highschool its all about winning, not about having fun, im sorry but nobody has fun losing, this isnt hollywood. So with his disabilty and other than pitching he had nothing else to offer maybe that was the coaches thinking, you dont wanna keep a kid who wont get to play.
now am I saying what he did was right no, but you have to look at it from all sides.
If it was me I would have kept him on for Jv because 80mph is plenty good enough for jv and for hardwork and determination, thats something I would admire. Im sure it wasnt easy for the coach to cut him, but a lawsuit and all of this isnt necessary, if he had no disability and was cut then would everyone complain? NO. Did Michael Jordan file a lawsuit and stuff because he didnt make his highschool basketball team? no at the time, his ABILITY didnt meet up with what the coach expected
this saddens me but its life and this kind of stuff has got to stop people always feeling victimized.
I'm sure another team would take him and use him as much as possible.
OffTheHook Wrote:16 yrs old and throwing in the 80s. Doesn't make JV or Varsity. This kid was even featured on the cover of ESPN The Magazine and on ESPN.
I smell a major lawsuit.

Good thing Jim Abbott didn't go to this school!

There are two videos

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/ora...eball-team

Under what grounds would they have a lawsuit? He should be entitled to a spot on the team simply because he has a disability? Or if he wants to be treated like everyone else then every single kid ever cut form any sport would be able to try to sue a coach or school board.
Americans with disability Act.
csabo17 Wrote:Under what grounds would they have a lawsuit? He should be entitled to a spot on the team simply because he has a disability? Or if he wants to be treated like everyone else then every single kid ever cut form any sport would be able to try to sue a coach or school board.
It seems that the kid could play. 80+, good curve and not every pitcher could cover a bunt. Talked with a pitcher from the 16th today who says nobody on his team throws above 80. This assumes he can't cover a bunt. To answer your question ,you might want to cover The Americans With Disability Act.
^^^He has no case. He got cut from a team. Big deal.
Crossbones Wrote:Agreed!! He was cut just like the other 23 or so was cut, because everyone else was better for the team. Reguardless if he could throw 80mph or not, there's more to the game than just throwing the ball. The other kids that tried out and made the team, done a better job at the entire aspect of the game. Again, I hate the young man didn't make it, it's a tough break. But that's how life goes.

The kid could have at least played JV. Come on.
vundy33 Wrote:^^^He has no case. He got cut from a team. Big deal.
Thanks Judge. Is your decision appealable? You have evidently read a lengthy brief or prepared an extensive opinion and have more data about the case than anyone. Not many cuts in EKy.Do you know of any? Probably only a few every year. Remember a lot of Daddy's would be upset if their kid's got cut.What decision would you make with respect to Title IX. No equal facilities.
Big deal.
adopted purple Wrote:The kid could have at least played JV. Come on.

Absolutely he could have..never said he shouldn't have. I was simply making the arguement that if he couldn't play every aspect of the game, then why would you keep him over the ones that could. Just because he has a disability does not entitle him to a spot on the varsity team of which he was cut. Just like the other 23 or so. Same thing with JV, would you like to see your son or daughter cut from the team to open up a spot for him. The report never said if there were limits on how many were on the team. That's why I did not jump on the sue and sue big bandwagon. I read it and thought the coach did the right thing for the TEAM. I'm not against this kid at all. I hope the young man excels at everything he does in life and I'm sure he will. My mother only had one leg, but that didn't mean she was entitled to anymore than anyone else, and she knew that. If she couldn't do it, she moved on. Just saying.
This kid was probably cut because his coach wanted no publicity for his team. Also a consideration would be that the last kid kept was somebodies boy. Total assumptions on my part.We must remember to assume is to blunder. Not an assumption on my part cause the kid is gone. Just another bad hand the kid was dealt. O by the way he obviously has a large set.
80 mph jesus!
Portion of the Americans with Disabilities Act:

[SIZE=2]Sec. 12101. Findings and purpose
(a) Findings. The Congress finds that
(1) physical or mental disabilities in no way diminish a person’s right to fully participate in all
aspects of society, yet many people with physical or mental disabilities have been precluded
from doing so because of discrimination; others who have a record of a disability or are
regarded as having a disability also have been subjected to discrimination;
(2) historically, society has tended to isolate and segregate individuals with disabilities, and,
despite some improvements, such forms of discrimination against individuals with disabilities
continue to be a serious and pervasive social problem;
(3) discrimination against individuals with disabilities persists in such critical areas as
employment, housing, public accommodations, education, transportation, communication,
recreation, institutionalization, health services, voting, and access to public services;
(4) unlike individuals who have experienced discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex,
national origin, religion, or age, individuals who have experienced discrimination on the basis
of disability have often had no legal recourse to redress such discrimination;

BUT.... #5 here is my favorite....

[SIZE=2]
(5) individuals with disabilities continually encounter various forms of discrimination, including
outright intentional exclusion, the discriminatory effects of architectural, transportation, and
communication barriers, overprotective rules and policies, failure to make modifications to
existing facilities and practices, exclusionary qualification standards and criteria, segregation,
and relegation to lesser services, programs, activities, benefits, jobs, or other opportunities;
[/SIZE]

NOT saying this is what happened to the young man BUT with a look into some of the guidelines, if the kid honestly throws in the 80's... WHY was he NOT kept on as a pitcher? Every teams needs all the pitching they can get!!![/SIZE]

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Portion of the Americans with Disabilities Act:

[SIZE=2]Sec. 12101. Findings and purpose
(a) Findings. The Congress finds that
(1) physical or mental disabilities in no way diminish a person’s right to fully participate in all
aspects of society, yet many people with physical or mental disabilities have been precluded
from doing so because of discrimination; others who have a record of a disability or are
regarded as having a disability also have been subjected to discrimination;
(2) historically, society has tended to isolate and segregate individuals with disabilities, and,
despite some improvements, such forms of discrimination against individuals with disabilities
continue to be a serious and pervasive social problem;
(3) discrimination against individuals with disabilities persists in such critical areas as
employment, housing, public accommodations, education, transportation, communication,
recreation, institutionalization, health services, voting, and access to public services;
(4) unlike individuals who have experienced discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex,
national origin, religion, or age, individuals who have experienced discrimination on the basis
of disability have often had no legal recourse to redress such discrimination;

BUT.... #5 here is my favorite....

[SIZE=2]
(5) individuals with disabilities continually encounter various forms of discrimination, including
outright intentional exclusion, the discriminatory effects of architectural, transportation, and
communication barriers, overprotective rules and policies, failure to make modifications to
existing facilities and practices, exclusionary qualification standards and criteria, segregation,
and relegation to lesser services, programs, activities, benefits, jobs, or other opportunities;
[/SIZE]

NOT saying this is what happened to the young man BUT with a look into some of the guidelines, if the kid honestly throws in the 80's... WHY was he NOT kept on as a pitcher? Every teams needs all the pitching they can get!!![/SIZE]

Exactly:Thumbs:
I'm failing to see where he was descrimanated against, by the americans with disability act. The article never said if the facility was not handicap accessable. I'm sure that it is. Most all places I have seen have handicap ramps and accessories. He was allowed to try out. So were was he descrimanated against? You all seem to be still argueing that he should of made the team because he throws 80mph. Should they cut some of the other pitchers, who could go on to play collage ball, to make a place for him. Wouldn't that be decrimanating against them. Again, what about the other kids that tried out and made the team? He was not the only one cut, 23 others were also. What about them, were they descrimanated against because they were not as good as the others? This is not about descrinanation, it's about not being as good as the others ahead of him.
Crossbones Wrote:I'm failing to see where he was descrimanated against, by the americans with disability act. The article never said if the facility was not handicap accessable. I'm sure that it is. Most all places I have seen have handicap ramps and accessories. He was allowed to try out. So were was he descrimanated against? You all seem to be still argueing that he should of made the team because he throws 80mph. Should they cut some of the other pitchers, who could go on to play collage ball, to make a place for him. Wouldn't that be decrimanating against them. Again, what about the other kids that tried out and made the team? He was not the only one cut, 23 others were also. What about them, were they descrimanated against because they were not as good as the others? This is not about descrinanation, it's about not being as good as the others ahead of him.

You just don't understand. A 16 year old throwing in the 80s isn't as common as a lot of you people think. We have a young man here in the area that was throwing in the 80s at 16 and is now a Senior and has signed to play at UK and possibly may be drafted this season. So apparently ALL the pitchers that were kept are ALL D-1 prospects? DANG...ALL the other Schools just may as well forget beating this team.

Also, The coach said he couldn't cover bunts. Why say this if the kid wasn't even given the chance to do this. The kid said he only threw.

Now, here's one for ya. Who to say that the coach cut the kid because....He felt that if he kept the kid....the other kids would either feel:
1- They must really suck if the can't make a team and cripple can.
2- The only reason he made the team was because he is disabled.

Now...Wouldn't it be easier to explain and show...why you kept the kid.
Than what is happening now and giving lame excuses via someone else and not explaining it yourself. :please:

The kid was discriminated against because of his disability....period.
The Coach lied about why he was cut. He said he couldn't cover bunts.
The kid was denied that opportunity to show he could and asked to be the waterboy.
Therefore this now fits:

existing facilities and practices
, exclusionary qualification standards and criteria, segregation,

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:You just don't understand. A 16 year old throwing in the 80s isn't as common as a lot of you people think. We have a young man here in the area that was throwing in the 80s at 16 and is now a Senior and has signed to play at UK and possibly may be drafted this season. So apparently ALL the pitchers that were kept are ALL D-1 prospects? DANG...ALL the other Schools just may as well forget beating this team.

Also, The coach said he couldn't cover bunts. Why say this if the kid wasn't even given the chance to do this. The kid said he only threw.

Now, here's one for ya. Who to say that the coach cut the kid because....He felt that if he kept the kid....the other kids would either feel:
1- They must really suck if the can't make a team and cripple can.
2- The only reason he made the team was because he is disabled.

Now...Wouldn't it be easier to explain and show...why you kept the kid.
Than what is happening now and giving lame excuses via someone else and not explaining it yourself. :please:

The kid was discriminated against because of his disability....period.
The Coach lied about why he was cut. He said he couldn't cover bunts.
The kid was denied that opportunity to show he could and asked to be the waterboy.
Therefore this now fits:

existing facilities and practices
, exclusionary qualification standards and criteria, segregation,

I understand about having a disability more than you or anyone on this board will ever know. So that plane just won't fly with me. The kid has talent, I never said he didn't. But there is alot more to the game than just throwing the ball. The article stated alot of kids went on to bigger and better things that played for the school. Which leads me to believe they have alot of talent at that school. I also agreed he could have played JV. The article never said if they had one or not. Every thing you said is all fine and dandy, but does not prove decrimination. I know about it all to well. You highlighted "outright intentional exclution". He was allowed to tryout, the other kids were better at every part of the game and better for the team. My point throughout all of this is simply the other kids were better than he was. I understand your disappointment for the youngman. But you and I seem to be repeating the same thing over and over. So I will agree to disagree and on that note, I am done with this.
Crossbones Wrote:I understand about having a disability more than you or anyone on this board will ever know. So that plane just won't fly with me. The kid has talent, I never said he didn't. But there is alot more to the game than just throwing the ball. The article stated alot of kids went on to bigger and better things that played for the school. Which leads me to believe they have alot of talent at that school. I also agreed he could have played JV. The article never said if they had one or not. Every thing you said is all fine and dandy, but does not prove decrimination. I know about it all to well. You highlighted "outright intentional exclution". He was allowed to tryout, the other kids were better at every part of the game and better for the team. My point throughout all of this is simply the other kids were better than he was. I understand your disappointment for the youngman. But you and I seem to be repeating the same thing over and over. So I will agree to disagree and on that note, I am done with this.

I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT.

No..you keep leaving out one part.

The Coach's reason for cutting him.
Statement through the principal "unable to cover bunts"

Kids statement:
I never did that drill, I only threw.

"outright intentional exclution"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
My final post should by no means be considered a solicitation of anyone to further or consider further posts on this thread. This high school baseball person in Flordia merely decided not to keep this kid for fear of distracting from this team with allowing a young man with a disability not to be placed on the team. This may be especially true if a lesser player or one with politicial assistance was left. Without having seen the tryouts and the boys considered it is impossible to say wheither one was better than the other. What you can say is that one of the boys who did try out appeared to have skills above a goodly per cent of boys in our area. From reading this news article I did not get the impression that this high school was a baseball prep school. They merely stated that they had in the past some to go to the next level.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Thanks Judge. Is your decision appealable? You have evidently read a lengthy brief or prepared an extensive opinion and have more data about the case than anyone. Not many cuts in EKy.Do you know of any? Probably only a few every year. Remember a lot of Daddy's would be upset if their kid's got cut.What decision would you make with respect to Title IX. No equal facilities.
Big deal.

Hey, if you're going to act smart, at least try to look it..ya know, with correct spelling and grammar and all that.

Like I said, just because a disabled kid gets cut from a dang baseball team, doesn't mean he has a discrimination case or whatever else you people can think of. Just proves how weak this country is these days.

Big deal, he got cut from a baseball team. Go to another school and prove you can play, don't run to your lawyer. Good God.
vundy33 Wrote:Hey, if you're going to act smart, at least try to look it..ya know, with correct spelling and grammar and all that.

Like I said, just because a disabled kid gets cut from a dang baseball team, doesn't mean he has a discrimination case or whatever else you people can think of. Just proves how weak this country is these days.

Big deal, he got cut from a baseball team. Go to another school and prove you can play, don't run to your lawyer. Good God.
I shall do my best to comply with your request. I will not utilize a run on sentence unless it is in the 4.3 - 4.5 range. I don't think this kid will have to run to a lawyer,as The ACLU might just love it. Oh by the way you may want to ask Dennis Rasmusssen if the kid can pitch.
ACLU..lol.

If I was the kid, I think I'd rather go to another school and get my chance at playing against them than try to sue or whatever. Would you?