Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr.Baseball
Bob Seger Wrote:During the Cohen days that may have been an automatic ticket, but with UK being down as they are right now, I'm not sure that's the case. UK may very well end up dead last in the SEC while Louisville is nationaly ranked. I would say that the All American honors may buoy his chances more than any thing. Lets also not forget the great Lawrence Co. hype machine. Nobody can spin a player better than they do.

? whats that supposed to mean?

I can guarantee you that every player LC has sent on to the next level has been legit, they have had amazing talent come out the in the past and continue to produce players, and also all the stats are legit to, any coach or anyone around will tell you that Lc keeps a legit book and doesnt curve stats.
this is an esteemed program not magoffin county
Chandler Shepherd- LC
doomsday Wrote:? whats that supposed to mean?

I can guarantee you that every player LC has sent on to the next level has been legit, they have had amazing talent come out the in the past and continue to produce players, and also all the stats are legit to, any coach or anyone around will tell you that Lc keeps a legit book and doesnt curve stats.
this is an esteemed program not magoffin county

It was meant as a compliment to the coaching staff. In this case hype is not a bad word. If I said "promote" would that have sounded better? Perhaps I should have used that word instead. The staff has always been able to "promote" their players to those of concern at the next level and to those of the media (whether it be local or national) better than anyone else around. From this area that is anyways. I remember Stevie Blevins being named one of the nation's top 50 juniors in Street & Smith one year. It's the effort they put out in doing so that I was referring to. Eastern Kentucky players do not get this kind of exposure no matter how good they are without being "promoted", "hyped" or whatever any other word is that you want to insert to describe it as being. Unfortunately we live in a region of obscurity. While most people on here may think that most Lawrence Co. fans are a "bag of nuts", I can assure you that anyone that understands baseball holds the coaching staff in a very high regard.

That's what "what's that supposed to mean" is meant to be. OK?
Bob Seger Wrote:It was meant as a compliment to the coaching staff. In this case hype is not a bad word. If I said "promote" would that have sounded better? Perhaps I should have used that word instead. The staff has always been able to "promote" their players to those of concern at the next level and to those of the media (whether it be local or national) better than anyone else around. From this area that is anyways. I remember Stevie Blevins being named one of the nation's top 50 juniors in Street & Smith one year. It's the effort they put out in doing so that I was referring to. Eastern Kentucky players do not get this kind of exposure no matter how good they are without being "promoted", "hyped" or whatever any other word is that you want to insert to describe it as being. Unfortunately we live in a region of obscurity. While most people on here may think that most Lawrence Co. fans are a "bag of nuts", I can assure you that anyone that understands baseball holds the coaching staff in a very high regard.

dang, harsh are we? :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ Stink Stirrer. :biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:It was meant as a compliment to the coaching staff. In this case hype is not a bad word. If I said "promote" would that have sounded better? Perhaps I should have used that word instead. The staff has always been able to "promote" their players to those of concern at the next level and to those of the media (whether it be local or national) better than anyone else around. From this area that is anyways. I remember Stevie Blevins being named one of the nation's top 50 juniors in Street & Smith one year. It's the effort they put out in doing so that I was referring to. Eastern Kentucky players do not get this kind of exposure no matter how good they are without being "promoted", "hyped" or whatever any other word is that you want to insert to describe it as being. Unfortunately we live in a region of obscurity. While most people on here may think that most Lawrence Co. fans are a "bag of nuts", I can assure you that anyone that understands baseball holds the coaching staff in a very high regard.

well its highly unusual for you to say anything positive at all.
I never post on here hardly I just read from time to time, and most of the post I have read that are from you are negative.
doomsday Wrote:well its highly unusual for you to say anything positive at all.
I never post on here hardly I just read from time to time, and most of the post I have read that are from you are negative.

I speak positive of the things worthy of being spoken positively of. If you are referring to my penchant of calling your typical Lawrence Co. moronic troubled teen posts out for what they are and want to describe that as being negative, then so be it.:Thumbs:
Bob Seger Wrote:I speak positive of the things worthy of being spoken positively of. If you are referring to my penchant of calling your typical Lawrence Co. moronic troubled teen posts out for what they are and want to describe that as being negative, then so be it.:Thumbs:

Not at all and I agree there, however not all LC fans do that.
Cant base your opinion on a few select kids that are bored.

Im just refering to a few past post of yours, I'm not saying all of your post are negative just the ones I can recall.
doomsday Wrote:Not at all and I agree there, however not all LC fans do that.
Cant base your opinion on a few select kids that are bored.

Im just refering to a few past post of yours, I'm not saying all of your post are negative just the ones I can recall.

As I said, negative is all just relative to where it needs applied.
Bob Seger Wrote:As I said, negative is all just relative to where it needs applied.

okay but bottom line shep will be 15th region player of the year, and Mr. baseball if he puts up numbers similar to last year, his presence on the mound will even help his cause.
im not saying go ahead and give it to him,
but just go ahead and get the stencils (C,H,A,N,D,L,E,R S,H,E,P,H,E,R,D) laid out and ready to be etched onto the trophySmile
Ryan Loenhart- St. Xavier
Taylor Martin-Lexington Catholic
Ryan Fucci- Tates Creek
Spencer Drake- Eastern
Matt Spalding- St. Xavier
Chandler Shepherd- Lawrence County

I'm not sure how well he hits the ball, but Clay Cinnamon from Mercer County is a very talented pitcher. He signed with Miami (OH) and is one of the best pitchers of this class that I've seen. Fastball works around 89-90 with good movement, spots well, and has a good breaking ball and Change-Up.
what about the kid Walker Buheler from Henry Clay, I believe he already signed with Vanderbilt.
SweetTea Wrote:okay but bottom line shep will be 15th region player of the year, and Mr. baseball if he puts up numbers similar to last year, his presence on the mound will even help his cause.
im not saying go ahead and give it to him,
but just go ahead and get the stencils (C,H,A,N,D,L,E,R S,H,E,P,H,E,R,D) laid out and ready to be etched onto the trophySmile

Yep agreed if you will shut up and go away. CHANDLER, CHANDLER, CHANDLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go Sweet Pea. LOL:igiveup::lmao::HitWall::please:
Chandler has a lot more competition than people realize. There's been players from eastern kentucky in years past that possibly could have been named Mr. Baseball, but it's very hard considering their location. The voters are not going do any traveling to see these kids play. If they are not in their area, they never see them. That is why you have mostly Centralized located players winning this award. Unless of course they put up numbers and awards no one else has ever done in the state? That is the only way. I think he is probably a dark horse for this award and it is based solely off of where he lives?

And to be honest, the fact that Lawrence County's schedule is a little bit watered down compared to the past few years may hurt his chances also. They do go to the Louisville Invitational Tournament, but don't really play anybody, with of course the exception of West Jessamine? I could be wrong about this, but when you have a player who could possibly be "Mr. Baseball," you have to make sure he plays around Lexington quite a bit so he can be seen? Also, I really don't understand going to Vero Beach, Florida and only playing teams from Kentucky? Completely defeats the purpose in my opinion? Who knows? I just really want to see LC with a strong schedule each and every year that will allow these kids to get seen as much as possible!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Chandler has a lot more competition than people realize. There's been players from eastern kentucky in years past that possibly could have been named Mr. Baseball, but it's very hard considering their location. The voters are not going do any traveling to see these kids play. If they are not in their area, they never see them. That is why you have mostly Centralized located players winning this award. Unless of course they put up numbers and awards no one else has ever done in the state? That is the only way. I think he is probably a dark horse for this award and it is based solely off of where he lives?

And to be honest, the fact that Lawrence County's schedule is a little bit watered down compared to the past few years may hurt his chances also. They do go to the Louisville Invitational Tournament, but don't really play anybody, with of course the exception of West Jessamine? I could be wrong about this, but when you have a player who could possibly be "Mr. Baseball," you have to make sure he plays around Lexington quite a bit so he can be seen? Also, I really don't understand going to Vero Beach, Florida and only playing teams from Kentucky? Completely defeats the purpose in my opinion? Who knows? I just really want to see LC with a strong schedule each and every year that will allow these kids to get seen as much as possible!

i agree.. but in lc's defense. they do have a tough schedule. they play a handful of lex. louisevill teams. but good post.
i see matt spalding from st. x or shepherd from lc.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Chandler has a lot more competition than people realize. There's been players from eastern kentucky in years past that possibly could have been named Mr. Baseball, but it's very hard considering their location. The voters are not going do any traveling to see these kids play. If they are not in their area, they never see them. That is why you have mostly Centralized located players winning this award. Unless of course they put up numbers and awards no one else has ever done in the state? That is the only way. I think he is probably a dark horse for this award and it is based solely off of where he lives?

very true, location can go into effect very likley but to be honest chandler could have won it as a junior with his batting avg and if he would have pitched, i understand you cant win it as a junior but with his numbers and stats he could have won it. you also stated thats why they have to put up numbers and awards which chandler has done by breaking the state record for most consecutive scorless innings as a sophmore. i agree the competition will be tough and location will be a huge factor. chandlers name has been thrown out enough though where as i dont think location will decrease his chances.
^ :Thumbs: :worthy:
FiveStar Wrote:i agree.. but in lc's defense. they do have a tough schedule. they play a handful of lex. louisevill teams. but good post.

They only play one Lexington school, Bryan Station, and they are not very good. The news barely even covers them unless they are playing a top notch team. The played them last year and Bryan Station actually beat LC and finished one game under .500. Out of all the schools in Lexington they wouldn't be my first pick to play if I was going to make that trip? Just seems like a waste of time? The best team they play is West Jessamine, and that is a very good team to play year in year out. Other than those two your looking at Southern and Hopkinsville. Hopkinsville is another good team who held their opponents scoreless throughout the regional tournament last season, and finally lost in the first round of the state tournament. They are a great team play year in year out as well. However, Southern on the other hand is not a good team. Just because they are from Louisville doesn't mean their good? Which in turn will not bring you any exposure because nobody will come watch a game like that? Southern lost 12 of their last 16 games including a first round loss in the district to North Bullitt. Southern was not even a .500 team last season. Basically, what it looks like is LC is playing two good teams out of region? So one of the best teams they'll play all year is Pikeville!

Trust me I am not trying to belittle or talk negatively about LC because i'd like to see them succeed. I just honestly think it would do them more good in the post season if they had teams during the season that will be able to give them "post season type" games?
SweetLemonade Wrote:very true, location can go into effect very likley but to be honest chandler could have won it as a junior with his batting avg and if he would have pitched, i understand you cant win it as a junior but with his numbers and stats he could have won it. you also stated thats why they have to put up numbers and awards which chandler has done by breaking the state record for most consecutive scorless innings as a sophmore. i agree the competition will be tough and location will be a huge factor. chandlers name has been thrown out enough though where as i dont think location will decrease his chances.

I hope you are right?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:[/SIZE][/B]

I hope you are right?

do you want to see chandler win it.

Stupid waste of money in my opinion. That is why Pikeville never travels to these places. Belfry went to Disney last year and played in a 4 team tournament and spent about $25K.

Great post, JRS! I agree with the entire post just wanted to expand on the one item.:Thumbs:
SweetLemonade Wrote:do you want to see chandler win it.

Of course I would? I think it would be a tremendous honor and great recognition for the area?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Of course I would? I think it would be a tremendous honor and great recognition for the area?

agreed but why the heck do you put question marks at the end of statements. just confusing
SweetLemonade Wrote:agreed but why the heck do you put question marks at the end of statements. just confusing

The question marks are my way of saying what im saying as to it being a rhetorical question from you. In other words, of course I would, why in the world would I not want him to get it?
Matt Spalding and Shepherd from L.C are the two in the running. Looking forward to this season.
Commanche Wrote:Stupid waste of money in my opinion. That is why Pikeville never travels to these places. Belfry went to Disney last year and played in a 4 team tournament and spent about $25K.

Great post, JRS! I agree with the entire post just wanted to expand on the one item.:Thumbs:

Well what really makes it unbelievable to me is not only are they going down to Florida to play other teams from Kentucky, but they are actually going to where another team in their district is, so they'll probably end up playing another team from their district down in Florida. I just don't get it at all? I may be no understanding their reasoning for the trip, but I would think you'd want to use it to play teams you normally don't get to play during the season?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Well what really makes it unbelievable to me is not only are they going down to Florida to play other teams from Kentucky, but they are actually going to where another team in their district is, so they'll probably end up playing another team from their district down in Florida. I just don't get it at all? I may be no understanding their reasoning for the trip, but I would think you'd want to use it to play teams you normally don't get to play during the season?

not to argue with u jackrabbit.. but it jut gives the kids a chance to play ball in some good weather, and even though u dont agree, they do play some quality teams.
Woahhhh. What happened to the word filter?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Well what really makes it unbelievable to me is not only are they going down to Florida to play other teams from Kentucky, but they are actually going to where another team in their district is, so they'll probably end up playing another team from their district down in Florida. I just don't get it at all? I may be no understanding their reasoning for the trip, but I would think you'd want to use it to play teams you normally don't get to play during the season?

JRS... Belfry didn't play one team from KY. They played teams from NY, NJ, Maine and Conn. They also played 3 games (JV) as the teams from the listed states, are only allowed to have a certain amount of games and if played at varsity level, they would have had to forefit a portion of their regular schedule. So, basically within 7 days at Disney, Belfry baseball (either Varsity or JV) played 7 games.... IMHO, not too bad of a waste of time! Smile

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]