Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville at Lawrence County
Lawrence's reputation was built by Randy Keeton. I think the jury is still out on the Travis Feltner era. LC is losing a lot of seniors this year which are the last of Keeton's program and the JV is mostly 7th and 8th graders. In addition 7 or 8 very good players have quit the JV/freshman team over the last two years. With all that being said this is the year LC will have all the horses to compete. I think Pikeville might win this Thursday but it could be a much different game if they meet in the regional. At any rate, if you are a fan of baseball when these two teams get together Thursday you will see a good game. Man am I glad the grammar police are taking a break.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:Lawrence's reputation was built by Randy Keeton. I think the jury is still out on the Travis Feltner era. LC is losing a lot of seniors this year which are the last of Keeton's program and the JV is mostly 7th and 8th graders. In addition 7 or 8 very good players have quit the JV/freshman team over the last two years. With all that being said this is the year LC will have all the horses to compete. I think Pikeville might win this Thursday but it could be a much different game if they meet in the regional. At any rate, if you are a fan of baseball when these two teams get together Thursday you will see a good game. Man am I glad the grammar police are taking a break.

Great Post! Randy Keeton is the man.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:Lawrence's reputation was built by Randy Keeton. I think the jury is still out on the Travis Feltner era. LC is losing a lot of seniors this year which are the last of Keeton's program and the JV is mostly 7th and 8th graders. In addition 7 or 8 very good players have quit the JV/freshman team over the last two years. With all that being said this is the year LC will have all the horses to compete. I think Pikeville might win this Thursday but it could be a much different game if they meet in the regional. At any rate, if you are a fan of baseball when these two teams get together Thursday you will see a good game. Man am I glad the grammar police are taking a break.

thanks for the info, i guess we'll find out what kind of coach mr. Feltner is in the coming years. coach Keeton is a class act, i played for him when he was first starting, hes now in the top 25 all time wins in Kentucky. unfortunately we didn't put many of those there. like you, i am looking forward to Thursdays game

What I am afraid of it that Travis may not be given a fair shake if things go sour for Lawrence when the youth movement kicks in. People are not remembering how dismal the '06 season was for Lawrence after Blevins/Compton graduated. It took a couple of years to get back up again. I dont expect for Lawrence to be very strong for a couple of years, but if Travis has any talent at all to work with I think they'll still be competetive in future years. After watching how the fickle Lawrence fanbase turned on both Goldsmith and Salmons I wonder how their patience will be during a rebuilding tenure. They both went from being super heros to being talked about like dogs. I hope Travis doesn't have to go through that. To me he's a heck of a coach, a tireless worker, and a fine person. He deserves just as much credit as anyone for helping Lawrence to be a good program. After all he was Randy's top assistant for what about 12 years?
Bob Seger Wrote:What I am afraid of it that Travis may not be given a fair shake if things go sour for Lawrence when the youth movement kicks in. People are not remembering how dismal the '06 season was for Lawrence after Blevins/Compton graduated. It took a couple of years to get back up again. I dont expect for Lawrence to be very strong for a couple of years, but if Travis has any talent at all to work with I think they'll still be competetive in future years. After watching how the fickle Lawrence fanbase turned on both Goldsmith and Salmons I wonder how their patience will be during a rebuilding tenure. They both went from being super heros to being talked about like dogs. I hope Travis doesn't have to go through that. To me he's a heck of a coach, a tireless worker, and a fine person. He deserves just as much credit as anyone for helping Lawrence to be a good program. After all he was Randy's top assistant for what about 12 years?
No doubt Travis is a tireless worker and knows baseball. I am not sure he is going to have any quality players to work with by the time some of his assistants get done running off the 13/14's because they do not execute on a high school or college level. Several play summer travel ball but don't play for LC.
Travis needs his players playing summer ball. A local High School coach can only offer them so much. He always wants them to play the 20 games he gets them in the summer rather than playing for someone else. Most coaches in this area are against summer programs, however Pikeville is a testament to what a summer program can do for a team. To improve a team must play better competition, and that is exactly what a travel team can do for them. Playing in larger cities also allows them to be seen by college scouts as well, since we dont get a lot of scouts in the mountains to see the players. We produce some quality players who never get seen outside of the mountains. He should encourage the ones who have opportunities to pursue them and then put a team together with the players who dont have those opportunities. He would then have 15 players actually playing rather than the 9-10 he has under his plan.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Gosh!!!,Gee!!!!,Wow!!! Finally some real live baseball talk. Please forgive me I just could not help myself. When real talk shows itself you just can't hold back. Well "bye bye" for now.

PHSForever Wrote:Ahh, CH has finally chimed in. :biggrin:
Did I call it or Did I call it?

There is the "rosey" one, come tomorrow night- the "sweet" on will most assuredly return.
Commanche Wrote:Travis needs his players playing summer ball. A local High School coach can only offer them so much. He always wants them to play the 20 games he gets them in the summer rather than playing for someone else. Most coaches in this area are against summer programs, however Pikeville is a testament to what a summer program can do for a team. To improve a team must play better competition, and that is exactly what a travel team can do for them. Playing in larger cities also allows them to be seen by college scouts as well, since we dont get a lot of scouts in the mountains to see the players. We produce some quality players who never get seen outside of the mountains. He should encourage the ones who have opportunities to pursue them and then put a team together with the players who dont have those opportunities. He would then have 15 players actually playing rather than the 9-10 he has under his plan.
Without summer/fall you have no realistic chance of being any good.
Fetlner is a great person, a great role model for young kids. Even after the games the kids stay and work on the field.
It teaches them how to work hard and take care of what you got. He has always been good to me and the community, Keeton the name speaks for itself.
Game between Bulldogs and Panthers can be heard locally on WZAQ 92.3 or online on http://www.wzaqfm.com just click on listen live. We will pick up this game at 7:00 due to regular scheduled programming but will bring you the rest of the action as it plays out. Hope everyone enjoys the game and our broadcast. Go Bulldogs
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Game between Bulldogs and Panthers can be heard locally on WZAQ 92.3 or online on www.wzaqfm.com just click on listen live. We will pick up this game at 7:00 due to regular scheduled programming but will bring you the rest of the action as it plays out. Hope everyone enjoys the game and our broadcast. Go Bulldogs
What is the forecast for the Louisa area tomorrow? I have heard the game is subject to change of venue depending on the weather. I know they did this 2 years ago on game day.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:No doubt Travis is a tireless worker and knows baseball. I am not sure he is going to have any quality players to work with by the time some of his assistants get done running off the 13/14's because they do not execute on a high school or college level. Several play summer travel ball but don't play for LC.

Really? I don't know who you are talking about. LC has had only a couple of players quit. The ones that did, did so on their own and NONE (to my knowledge) play true "summer ball". Name the ones that do. Trust me, no coach at LC runs off any player. I do not know the coaches personally but I know enough about them to say that with all honesty. Players quit on their own.
Weather might cooperate with us but you never know. It seems like all week a chance of rain and flooding. Pumped for tonight..
I know Randy Keeton is a GOD in LC but in 25 years he never won:zzz: a state championship and only got to state twice??? hmmmm
He's not a God, just a proven winner and one heck of a coach..