Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville at Lawrence County
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Ok smart guys when is the last time Pikeville seen Shepherd on the mound?

Long ago when they didn't play anywhere close to the level they are at now. But save that for down the road. There are other teams that can knock Pikeville or LC out on a given day.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Seger just quit your making me laugh

OK , then that should leave you with no trouble telling what the funny part is. So far, all we have seen you do is avoid the question. Is that an early indication on your part you cant refute it?
Bob will be laughing at both of us if Johnson Central wins the region while everyone is arguing about LC and Pikeville.
jetpilot Wrote:Bob will be laughing at both of us if Johnson Central wins the region while everyone is arguing about LC and Pikeville.

Yeah, I'm working on that sense of humor as we speak, but then again I'm a tiger fan.
:biggrin:
Lol a guy sleeps in one time and all hell breaks loose.
if i may add my two cents, pikeville will win the game and the region. with that said, having graduated from LC many years ago, i would like to see them win, but.....i will have to say that yes, pikeville is a very good hitting ball club and pitching that will hold LC to single digit runs. now, lets talk a bit about what the winner will see come playoff time. both have played a weak schedule and would be in the bottom half of of they played in either the 11th or 7th region.(look at what scott did to lawrence) both are good enough to beat the best of the 14th or even 16th so the winner will make it a couple rounds in, but then it will get real interesting. best of luck to whomever represents the 15th this year.
jetpilot Wrote:Bob will be laughing at both of us if Johnson Central wins the region while everyone is arguing about LC and Pikeville.
Very true! They can be a dangerous team.
I think this game can easily go either way and that the outcome is meaningless. Lawrence County could win by 5-6, Pikeville could win by 5-6 or anything in between. Basically whoever is on the most will win. I think Cecil will throw with Maynard throwing last night. I will make a predicion about one thing though. If LC does in fact win, we will see a re-emergence of some "sweet" "rosey" guys.
^^haha yes PT it will be extremely sweet in here.
Any idea who is pitching against Belfry today?
jetpilot Wrote:^^haha yes PT is will be extremely sweet in here.
Any idea who is pitching against Belfry today?
Burton if I had to guess.
Bob Seger Wrote:Yeah, I'm working on that sense of humor as we speak, but then again I'm a tiger fan.

Since when, since you moved to Nutbush City? haha

jetpilot Wrote:Since when, since you moved to Nutbush City? haha

Well no, actually I really didn't become the hard core BlueBlood that I am now until I moved from there to this place:

southbound Wrote:if i may add my two cents, pikeville will win the game and the region. with that said, having graduated from LC many years ago, i would like to see them win, but.....i will have to say that yes, pikeville is a very good hitting ball club and pitching that will hold LC to single digit runs. now, lets talk a bit about what the winner will see come playoff time. both have played a weak schedule and would be in the bottom half of of they played in either the 11th or 7th region.(look at what scott did to lawrence) both are good enough to beat the best of the 14th or even 16th so the winner will make it a couple rounds in, but then it will get real interesting. best of luck to whomever represents the 15th this year.
While both have played fairly weak schedules, you can't SERIOUSLY be pointing to what amounted to a basically meaningless game in Florida to support your theory that both teams would be in the bottom of the 11th or 7th????? Johnson Central only lost to Scott 2-1, and Greenup gave them a run for their money too. Too many variables in a game in Florida to even consider using it to support your theory. For what it is worth, I believe both teams would be solid in either region.
Pikeville proved they could play with anybody last year. I don't think they have to prove it again but if so it's just a little added incentive.
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville proved they could play with anybody last year. I don't think they have to prove it again but if so it's just a little added incentive.

:Thumbs:
huggybus02 Wrote:Well i know I will hear it for this but here is my opinion of the game Thursday and if you don't think it matters well why are we even talking about it? OK in my opinion if Banks pitches (and he is a descent pitcher) Pikeville wil win by 6 runs, I will be happy whoever wins but i don't think Lawrence County can"t handle the hits Pikeville will be hitting at them, but then again that is just my opinion!

Yeah, like they beat him last year at Pikeville? If I remember correctly, Banks had a 6 run lead going in to the 7th inning last year and LC ended up winning 8-6.

But yeah, Banks is not good enough to beat Pikeville...:eyeroll:
Bob Seger Wrote:Did Russell throw their #4 guy as well?

Russell threw their ace, Brandon Boyd. He has a scholarship to play baseball for Shawnee State.
LCgrad, please take a break. Everyone else, including lcgrad, grow up guys! Seriously. This is high school athletes you are commenting on and all you all do is act like you are in 3rd grade again. Stop the bullying. You all are becoming disgraces towards the schools you support.
LClion4life Wrote:Russell threw their ace, Brandon Boyd. He has a scholarship to play baseball for Shawnee State.
I've played against Shawnee State, and I can attest that they've had solid talent for many years now. If Boyd has a scholly there, he has some good potential.
PHSForever Wrote:While both have played fairly weak schedules, you can't SERIOUSLY be pointing to what amounted to a basically meaningless game in Florida to support your theory that both teams would be in the bottom of the 11th or 7th????? Johnson Central only lost to Scott 2-1, and Greenup gave them a run for their money too. Too many variables in a game in Florida to even consider using it to support your theory. For what it is worth, I believe both teams would be solid in either region.

meaningless or not they got spanked, not just beat but spanked by a team that is among the worst in their region. if they cant win a meaningless game against a team in the bottom of the region what makes you think they could compete there every day? those two regions make up half the top 25. i love mountain sports, i enjoy the success of the 15th but come on lets be realistic.

by the way, the games played in fla. may not weigh in when it comes to the playoff picture. that may make them "meaningless" but every game is played to win.
southbound Wrote:meaningless or not they got spanked, not just beat but spanked by a team that is among the worst in their region. if they cant win a meaningless game against a team in the bottom of the region what makes you think they could compete there every day? those two regions make up half the top 25. i love mountain sports, i enjoy the success of the 15th but come on lets be realistic.

by the way, the games played in fla. may not weigh in when it comes to the playoff picture. that may make them "meaningless" but every game is played to win.
Like I said, WAY too many variables come into play. Look, I am a Pikeville fan, so of course I hope they stomp on LC and roll to the state title, but I also respect the job that program has done, especially over the last 20 years. They've got good teams. But, if you are basing your theory on TWO games in Florida, you are not a serious student of the game. For example, are you aware (correct me if I'm wrong, LC people) that Chandler Shepherd was just being eased back into pitching after being out of it almost a year due to the surgery on his arm? That at least one of their starting rotation didn't pitch much before this year at this level? Little things like that go a long way. And I know better than anyone that the games are played to be won. But maybe it was just a bad couple of games, every team is entitled to those during the year. The real indication of a good team is: Did they learn from it? Get better because of it? If the answer is Yes, then you've got a team that can compete anywhere. I would put Shepherd up against ANY team in the 7th or 11th on any given day and like my chances. And for that matter, from what I understand from people I know KNOW the game, Banks and Cline could hold their own as well most days. You're entitled to your opinion, but these two teams are special and could hold their own. Scott has a losing record, but they have played 25 games, 13 of which were in their region. So they are playing the Madison Centrals, Bryan Stations, Lafayettes, etc half the time. That makes them even better, and come tourney time, you can't realistically overlook them.

As well, Pikeville has consistently been one of THE dominant teams in the mountains for a LONG time. More than held their own and been competitive against top knotch competition when it has mattered. The Paintsville team that won state? Pikeville was very comptetitive with them that year. Yeah, a team from the 15th has won the state title in baseball before, and not 50 years ago. Pikeville went to the Final Four last year with basically the same group of kids. Along the way, they beat MANY very good teams while playing basically the same schedule they have this year. Where did YOUR school finish?
jetpilot Wrote:Pikeville proved they could play with anybody last year. I don't think they have to prove it again but if so it's just a little added incentive.

no, they didnt prove they could play with anybody. they beat teams from the 14th and 16th to get there, then got beat. which is what ive been trying to say. teams like Lawrence County and Pikeville can beat up on the 13th, 14th and 16th regions year in and year out. they do that during the regular season and in the playoffs, but when they have to play the big boys they come up short. not trying to be degrading to either team, just saying they are not in the upper echelon yet. not until they start beating teams in the top 25 regularly.
southbound Wrote:no, they didnt prove they could play with anybody. they beat teams from the 14th and 16th to get there, then got beat. which is what ive been trying to say. teams like Lawrence County and Pikeville can beat up on the 13th, 14th and 16th regions year in and year out. they do that during the regular season and in the playoffs, but when they have to play the big boys they come up short. not trying to be degrading to either team, just saying they are not in the upper echelon yet. not until they start beating teams in the top 25 regularly.
Lawrence County was state runners-up in 2009 or 2008 (help me out LC fans). Greenup County was considered a top 25 team last year, I believe (can't find an archive of polls to be sure). Perry Central was a very good team. Pikeville placed Gavin Miller on 2nd team all-state, he was one of the best hitters in the tourney, and Pikeville was one of the best hitting, fielding, and pitching teams in the tourney as well. They lost to state runner up Butler by only 3-2, and the game could have gone either way. On that day, Butler was better, but if you played that same game over 5 times, Pike would have won 3 of them. They may not be "upper echelon" in your words, but they CAN and DO compete against the best in the state in talent. I agree with you that the 15th is not the most competitive region in the world. You've got your East Ridges, Shelby Valley's, Pike Centrals, etc that just, frankly, aren't good enough. But the Pikevilles and Lawrence Countys are respected in other regions because they are always competitive.
PHSForever Wrote:Like I said, WAY too many variables come into play. Look, I am a Pikeville fan, so of course I hope they stomp on LC and roll to the state title, but I also respect the job that program has done, especially over the last 20 years. They've got good teams. But, if you are basing your theory on TWO games in Florida, you are not a serious student of the game. For example, are you aware (correct me if I'm wrong, LC people) that Chandler Shepherd was just being eased back into pitching after being out of it almost a year due to the surgery on his arm? That at least one of their starting rotation didn't pitch much before this year at this level? Little things like that go a long way. And I know better than anyone that the games are played to be won. But maybe it was just a bad couple of games, every team is entitled to those during the year. The real indication of a good team is: Did they learn from it? Get better because of it? If the answer is Yes, then you've got a team that can compete anywhere. I would put Shepherd up against ANY team in the 7th or 11th on any given day and like my chances. And for that matter, from what I understand from people I know KNOW the game, Banks and Cline could hold their own as well most days. You're entitled to your opinion, but these two teams are special and could hold their own. Scott has a losing record, but they have played 25 games, 13 of which were in their region. So they are playing the Madison Centrals, Bryan Stations, Lafayettes, etc half the time. That makes them even better, and come tourney time, you can't realistically overlook them.

As well, Pikeville has consistently been one of THE dominant teams in the mountains for a LONG time. More than held their own and been competitive against top knotch competition when it has mattered. The Paintsville team that won state? Pikeville was very comptetitive with them that year. Yeah, a team from the 15th has won the state title in baseball before, and not 50 years ago. Pikeville went to the Final Four last year with basically the same group of kids. Along the way, they beat MANY very good teams while playing basically the same schedule they have this year. Where did YOUR school finish?

i will agree that Pikeville is and has been a dominate team in the mountains. Pikeville, and Lawrence as well as others have fielded teams that could compete with any over the years. and i am not saying lawrence couldnt beat scott county. what i am saying is that if Pikeville or Lawrence county played a schedule like Scott county or st x, or bryan station among others, they would not have twenty wins. the analogy im trying to make is this: boise state is a good football team, they have beaten the big boys, but could they compete in the sec on a regular basis? again not taking away from the success the two have accomplished, i look forward to seeing one of them at applebees. and then...hope they prove this old pessimist wrong.
PHSForever Wrote:Lawrence County was state runners-up in 2009 or 2008 (help me out LC fans). Greenup County was considered a top 25 team last year, I believe (can't find an archive of polls to be sure). Perry Central was a very good team. Pikeville placed Gavin Miller on 2nd team all-state, he was one of the best hitters in the tourney, and Pikeville was one of the best hitting, fielding, and pitching teams in the tourney as well. They lost to state runner up Butler by only 3-2, and the game could have gone either way. On that day, Butler was better, but if you played that same game over 5 times, Pike would have won 3 of them. They may not be "upper echelon" in your words, but they CAN and DO compete against the best in the state in talent. I agree with you that the 15th is not the most competitive region in the world. You've got your East Ridges, Shelby Valley's, Pike Centrals, etc that just, frankly, aren't good enough. But the Pikevilles and Lawrence Countys are respected in other regions because they are always competitive.

agreed.
southbound Wrote:i will agree that Pikeville is and has been a dominate team in the mountains. Pikeville, and Lawrence as well as others have fielded teams that could compete with any over the years. and i am not saying lawrence couldnt beat scott county. what i am saying is that if Pikeville or Lawrence county played a schedule like Scott county or st x, or bryan station among others, they would not have twenty wins. the analogy im trying to make is this: boise state is a good football team, they have beaten the big boys, but could they compete in the sec on a regular basis? again not taking away from the success the two have accomplished, i look forward to seeing one of them at applebees. and then...hope they prove this old pessimist wrong.
I'd have to disagree with you on this. A schedule isn't ALWAYS what it seems, nor is a winning record. Can we agree that Madison Central, for example, is a top 25 team in the state? Yes? Okay, let's have a look at them. 23-3 through 26 games. But only 11 games played against their own region. The other 15 games have been against teams like

Estill Co. (R14) with a glowing 11-13 record
Fleming Co. (R16) with a stellar 11-15 record
DuPont Manuel (R7) with an awesome 7-15 record
Raceland (R16) with a scary 5-15 record
Franklin (R11) with an ohsoclose 10-11 record
Lex. Christian (R11) with a 10-19 record

My point is, every team has "chuff" built into their record based on several factors they can't control, such as going to a tournament where they don't control who is invited, the district/region they are slotted into based on geography, etc. All teams also try and build in those types of games where they can get work in for their younger players, build up their record, etc. We'll just have to agree to disagree on some things.
Gosh!!!,Gee!!!!,Wow!!! Finally some real live baseball talk. Please forgive me I just could not help myself. When real talk shows itself you just can't hold back. Well "bye bye" for now.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Gosh!!!,Gee!!!!,Wow!!! Finally some real live baseball talk. Please forgive me I just could not help myself. When real talk shows itself you just can't hold back. Well "bye bye" for now.

Ahh, CH has finally chimed in. :biggrin:
PHSForever Wrote:I'd have to disagree with you on this. A schedule isn't ALWAYS what it seems, nor is a winning record. Can we agree that Madison Central, for example, is a top 25 team in the state? Yes? Okay, let's have a look at them. 23-3 through 26 games. But only 11 games played against their own region. The other 15 games have been against teams like

Estill Co. (R14) with a glowing 11-13 record
Fleming Co. (R16) with a stellar 11-15 record
DuPont Manuel (R7) with an awesome 7-15 record
Raceland (R16) with a scary 5-15 record
Franklin (R11) with an ohsoclose 10-11 record
Lex. Christian (R11) with a 10-19 record

My point is, every team has "chuff" built into their record based on several factors they can't control, such as going to a tournament where they don't control who is invited, the district/region they are slotted into based on geography, etc. All teams also try and build in those types of games where they can get work in for their younger players, build up their record, etc. We'll just have to agree to disagree on some things.

agreed. point made. we agree that both LC and pikeville are quality programs. and at times they are as good as any. and yes there have been champs come out of the mountains. agreed. and again i am a fan of both and would like them to have state wide cred or even national credibility, but they have to get some big names on the schedule year in and year out to do that. giving LC credit they did have bryan station on their schedule(briefly) anyway PHS i thank you for your loyalty to the 15th. and having been out of the state and not getting to see many games i only have newspapers and forums like this to gauge them by. seeing lopsided wins against subpar teams doesn't help much. so you can appreciate the fact that i would like to see them play equal or greater talent. to at least see how they stack up.
thanks again for insight ans opinions. lets hope one of them will make us all proud.
by the way, lex christian 10-19, but brutal schedule.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Gosh!!!,Gee!!!!,Wow!!! Finally some real live baseball talk. Please forgive me I just could not help myself. When real talk shows itself you just can't hold back. Well "bye bye" for now.

Still reading, not posting I see. Good to know you are okay CH.