Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co. 9 Pikeville 6 (15th Region Championship)
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Rick is a good guy, but he knows nothing about high school baseball or the history of high school baseball. If he wants to write an article saying Shep is the best he's seen, then fine, but he should never lead the mountain people to think he knows every pitcher dating back 30 years? Shep is good, but there have been several kids if given the opportunity and resources couldve been in the same situation? Shep is well deserved, but put Pikevilles lineup up against Jackson or Harmon or Stevie Blevins, and I bet they don't score 6 runs?

Good God. Will you ever stop the hating on Shepherd and LC? First of all, in posts prior to the Regional Tournament you acted as if this Pikeville team was the 1975 Big Red Machine. They scored 6 runs on 7 hits against Shepherd, but only 2 were earned runs because of 2 errors. Also, 5 of those 7 hits were handle shots or end of bat shots that blooped in there.

How about giving Shepherd the credit instead of trying to find reasons to say he isn't one of the greatest, if not THE greatest we have seen in some time?
Nonetheless though they put the runs on the board. Good teams find ways to put runs on the board against good pitching. I'll agree, Shep is one of the best this area has seen in a long time, and arguably has the most hype around him than anyone I've ever seen. From the way people talk on here you'd think he was a 1st Round Draft pick. In another thread somebody said he had thrown 96 mph. Come on people. He is a good pitcher, with a live fastball, and a nasty curveball/slider. Many people never see 96 mph in their life, let alone in a high school baseball game. The number 1 overall pick in this year's draft works in the low to mid 90's for pete sake. There is a HUGE difference like someone said in that thread in 91 and 96. I'll give Shepherd 91 a few times throughout the night, but 96? No shot. I noticed during the regional championship that his FB had more tail on it than what I remember it having in years past, and that is a very good sign. Shep got in trouble towards the middle of the game when he left the ball up in the zone. He was up all night long, and the Pikeville hitters put a bat on it like any team should. But, he overcame that and completely slammed the door over the final two innings. I was amazed that his pitch count was as low as it was through the late innings. It seems like I heard he threw his 90th pitch in the 7th inning? Not too shabby at all for giving up 7 hits and striking out a bunch. That being said, Congrats to LC on winning a very hard fought and passionate game. And congrats to Pikeville on an outstanding season. They have nothing to be disappointed about. They had a memorable season.
dawgeers Wrote:Good God. Will you ever stop the hating on Shepherd and LC? First of all, in posts prior to the Regional Tournament you acted as if this Pikeville team was the 1975 Big Red Machine. They scored 6 runs on 7 hits against Shepherd, but only 2 were earned runs because of 2 errors. Also, 5 of those 7 hits were handle shots or end of bat shots that blooped in there.

How about giving Shepherd the credit instead of trying to find reasons to say he isn't one of the greatest, if not THE greatest we have seen in some time?
He wasn't hating on Shep, and neither was I. Shep is a very good pitcher, ONE of the better we've seen in many years. It remains to be seen though, if he is the "greatest". There's been a long line of very good pitchers to come out of the mountains, and I'd be hesitant to place him that high just yet. Remember Freddie Maggard from Cumberland? It may be before your time, but believe me, that guy was NASTY as a pitcher. Drafted by the KC Royals in the 7th round, I believe, but chose to play football for Kentucky instead. And, believe it or not, there is a debate about whether or not he was even really the best pitcher on his own team. So, you're entitled to your opinion of Shep, but so are we.

As for your comments about the runs scored on Shep...Well, the game is over, BUT, irregardless of how the hits were, they were still hits and they still count. If you remember, LC was down 6-1 until that collision between the CF and the SS of Pikeville. Would it be fair of us to take away from LC and blame it all on that? No, it would not. Plain and simple, the ball fell uncaught, the runs scored, and they all count the same. It's just like you having a $20 bill and me having one. Mine may be spent at Speedway and yours at Marathon, but it spends the same in both places.
Pupaw Wrote:Nonetheless though they put the runs on the board. Good teams find ways to put runs on the board against good pitching. I'll agree, Shep is one of the best this area has seen in a long time, and arguably has the most hype around him than anyone I've ever seen. From the way people talk on here you'd think he was a 1st Round Draft pick. In another thread somebody said he had thrown 96 mph. Come on people. He is a good pitcher, with a live fastball, and a nasty curveball/slider. Many people never see 96 mph in their life, let alone in a high school baseball game. The number 1 overall pick in this year's draft works in the low to mid 90's for pete sake. There is a HUGE difference like someone said in that thread in 91 and 96. I'll give Shepherd 91 a few times throughout the night, but 96? No shot. I noticed during the regional championship that his FB had more tail on it than what I remember it having in years past, and that is a very good sign. Shep got in trouble towards the middle of the game when he left the ball up in the zone. He was up all night long, and the Pikeville hitters put a bat on it like any team should. But, he overcame that and completely slammed the door over the final two innings. I was amazed that his pitch count was as low as it was through the late innings. It seems like I heard he threw his 90th pitch in the 7th inning? Not too shabby at all for giving up 7 hits and striking out a bunch. That being said, Congrats to LC on winning a very hard fought and passionate game. And congrats to Pikeville on an outstanding season. They have nothing to be disappointed about. They had a memorable season.

:Thumbs:
Bob Seger Wrote:As much as I like the last two Pikeville teams, as well as the '04-'05 versions, I respectfully disagree 100% that either one of them could have done that "more often than not". Harmon was as nasty of a pitcher that has come out of this area in the last 15 years. He threw about where Shepherd does velocity wise, only had a nastier repitore of breaking balls to go with it.
Certainly you're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that.
Bob Seger Wrote:As much as I like the last two Pikeville teams, as well as the '04-'05 versions, I respectfully disagree 100% that either one of them could have done that "more often than not". Harmon was as nasty of a pitcher that has come out of this area in the last 15 years. He threw about where Shepherd does velocity wise, only had a nastier repitore of breaking balls to go with it.
Harmon was absolutely filthy on the mound. Great curveball, and threw a very heavy fastball. Outstanding athlete as well. It seems like I remember a newspaper article that came out saying that he won 30 games pitching, scored over 1,000 points in basketball, and I want to say had over 100 touchdowns in football? I'm not sure on the last part, but it was an article recognizing his outstanding talent in all three sports.
Pupaw Wrote:Harmon was absolutely filthy on the mound. Great curveball, and threw a very heavy fastball. Outstanding athlete as well. It seems like I remember a newspaper article that came out saying that he won 30 games pitching, scored over 1,000 points in basketball, and I want to say had over 100 touchdowns in football? I'm not sure on the last part, but it was an article recognizing his outstanding talent in all three sports.

He was also about as intimidating as anyone I have seen on the mound. He certainly was not above putting one under the chin of anyone, at any time. He definately had that thang called mound presence.
Pupaw Wrote:Nonetheless though they put the runs on the board. Good teams find ways to put runs on the board against good pitching. I'll agree, Shep is one of the best this area has seen in a long time, and arguably has the most hype around him than anyone I've ever seen. From the way people talk on here you'd think he was a 1st Round Draft pick. In another thread somebody said he had thrown 96 mph. Come on people. He is a good pitcher, with a live fastball, and a nasty curveball/slider. Many people never see 96 mph in their life, let alone in a high school baseball game. The number 1 overall pick in this year's draft works in the low to mid 90's for pete sake. There is a HUGE difference like someone said in that thread in 91 and 96. I'll give Shepherd 91 a few times throughout the night, but 96? No shot. I noticed during the regional championship that his FB had more tail on it than what I remember it having in years past, and that is a very good sign. Shep got in trouble towards the middle of the game when he left the ball up in the zone. He was up all night long, and the Pikeville hitters put a bat on it like any team should. But, he overcame that and completely slammed the door over the final two innings. I was amazed that his pitch count was as low as it was through the late innings. It seems like I heard he threw his 90th pitch in the 7th inning? Not too shabby at all for giving up 7 hits and striking out a bunch. That being said, Congrats to LC on winning a very hard fought and passionate game. And congrats to Pikeville on an outstanding season. They have nothing to be disappointed about. They had a memorable season.
Haha, nobody that I can think of in history has ever received that much of it.

Dont mean to be contradictory to that, because I know you are just as knowledgable on those things as anyone, but that is the one thing that was still not evident from my vision point on more than one occassion this year. I have seen it in pregame tosses though. It's there, I think it's just a matter of tweaking a thing or two on gametime arm slots to bring it out.
Pupaw Wrote:Harmon was absolutely filthy on the mound. Great curveball, and threw a very heavy fastball. Outstanding athlete as well. It seems like I remember a newspaper article that came out saying that he won 30 games pitching, scored over 1,000 points in basketball, and I want to say had over 100 touchdowns in football? I'm not sure on the last part, but it was an article recognizing his outstanding talent in all three sports.
I don't believe he had 30 wins, but he was close to it, I'm sure. According to KHSAA top career wins of pitchers, they stop at 30 (at the bottom of the list, not the top) and he isn't on the list. The list is current as of January 2011. Now, it could be just that the stats keepers haven't turned in the records to KHSAA to have him added, but not sure about that. I'd like to see him included if he did hit 30 career wins, because there are some dandy names on the list and he would deserve to be mentioned with them. He was definitely an outstanding all around athlete, very good in all 3 of those sports. It was a fun game to watch whenever he played football, for sure.
PHSForever Wrote:I don't believe he had 30 wins, but he was close to it, I'm sure. According to KHSAA top career wins of pitchers, they stop at 30 (at the bottom of the list, not the top) and he isn't on the list. The list is current as of January 2011. Now, it could be just that the stats keepers haven't turned in the records to KHSAA to have him added, but not sure about that. I'd like to see him included if he did hit 30 career wins, because there are some dandy names on the list and he would deserve to be mentioned with them. He was definitely an outstanding all around athlete, very good in all 3 of those sports. It was a fun game to watch whenever he played football, for sure.

Charlie Adkins was infamous for "not giving a crap" about doing such things as turning in stats to the KHSAA. He just could have cared less about that stuff. I am sure that if he turned a lot of stats in over the years, the pages would be filled with Painstville player acheivements.
Bob Seger Wrote:Haha, nobody that I can think of in history has ever received that much of it.

Dont mean to be contradictory to that, because I know you are just as knowledgable on those things as anyone, but that is the one thing that was still not evident from my vision point on more than one occassion this year. I have seen it in pregame tosses though. It's there, I think it's just a matter of tweaking a thing or two on gametime arm slots to bring it out.
It's no problem Seger, you're exactly right about the pregame tosses. He does seem to throw from a different arm slot and does have more run. Even in his pitches in between innings he does it. I look for UK to drop his arm slot to 3/4, and I'd say it'll be extremely effective.
PHSForever Wrote:I don't believe he had 30 wins, but he was close to it, I'm sure. According to KHSAA top career wins of pitchers, they stop at 30 (at the bottom of the list, not the top) and he isn't on the list. The list is current as of January 2011. Now, it could be just that the stats keepers haven't turned in the records to KHSAA to have him added, but not sure about that. I'd like to see him included if he did hit 30 career wins, because there are some dandy names on the list and he would deserve to be mentioned with them. He was definitely an outstanding all around athlete, very good in all 3 of those sports. It was a fun game to watch whenever he played football, for sure.
Adkins never turned in stats from any of his teams. He just didn't really care as Bob Seger said earlier. IF that was the case, I'd say Randy Daniel would be towards the top of the leaderboard in wins. No doubt about it. As for Chaz, like I said the article was something along the lines of 30 wins, I couldn't quite remember but he was definitely one of the PHS all-time greats.