Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co. 9 Pikeville 6 (15th Region Championship)
Congrats to LC.

Baseball is a funny game sometimes and strange things happen.
They happened at the worst possible time for Pikeville. The SS and CC colliding and letting to pop fly drop really opened the floodgates. And the #9 hitter batting a buck thirty hits a seeing eye triple against Hamilton would happen once in about 500 games. Pikeville didn't play an inning like that all through their tourney run last year and in 38 6/7 games this year.
They would win 99/100 against LC scoring 6 runs on Shepherd. They would also win 99 out of a 100 against LC with a 5 run lead and needing 6 outs, no matter who was pitching. Props to LC though, they didn't quit.

But congrats Panthers you guys will always be known as having the greatest run in PHS history with the final 4 and then 35 wins this year.
Hold your heads up high.

Good luck to LC in the state tourney, you will have a lot of Pikeville fans rooting for you.
jetpilot Wrote:Congrats to LC.

They happened at the worst possible time for Pikeville. The SS and CC colliding and letting to pop fly drop really opened the floodgates. And the #9 hitter batting a buck thirty hits a seeing eye triple against Hamilton would happen once in about 500 games. Pikeville didn't play an inning like that all through their tourney run last year and in 38 6/7 games this year.
They would win 99/100 against LC scoring 6 runs on Shepherd. They would also win 99 out of a 100 against LC with a 5 run lead and needing 6 outs, no matter who was pitching. Props to LC though, they didn't quit.

But congrats Panthers you guys will always be known as having the greatest run in PHS history with the final 4 and then 35 wins this year.
Hold your heads up high.

Good luck to LC in the state tourney, you will have a lot of Pikeville fans rooting for you.

Aren't you an arrogant piece of crap? Still not giving LC's offense any credit? Things like "99/100 times" crap don't cut it. :dontthink You and others on here stated that the offense of LC could not hit Hamilton. Now you are saying "fluke"? The fact is that the "fluke" was the bloops that Pikeville had in the 5th inning.

And the triple was not "seeing eye" anything. It was a freaking frozen rope to the fence. I think some of you Pikeville fans need to eat your crow. The fact is that all everyone has heard is how dominate Pikeville was and how there was no way LC could get enough runs to win.

To the Victor Comes the Spoils :1:
jetpilot Wrote:Congrats to LC.

Hold your heads up high.

I'm not one for talking smack but get real man.
thought it was going to be a low scoring game but i guess i was wrong. LC really hit the ball well last night when everyone doubted them. Give credit to pikeville also they put up a heck of a game. I'm not trying to start anything though but in the 5ht when they got the 4 runs, all of them were off bloop shots except for the ball hit to the third baseman. But all in all it was a heck of a game and cant wait to make the trip to lexington to watch these young men compete at state. Hopefully the hitting continues...GO DAWGS!!!!!
I really want to root for the LC players next week because they are for the most part classy guys, with very few exceptions. Tate, Chan, Cody and Ramsey I know personally and they are great guys. Others showed no character at all such as the crotch shot by Cline at the end of the game toward the mothers. How that kid made East/West is a joke. I really will root for you all if you few idiots on here would tone it down.

My take is that most LC fans are great people but some of you really taint them.

Good luck to the good ones and enjoy your experience, it is awesome.
dawgeers Wrote:Still not giving LC's offense any credit? Things like "99/100 times" crap don't cut it. :dontthink You and others on here stated that the offense of LC could not hit Hamilton. Now you are saying "fluke"? The fact is that the "fluke" was the bloops that Pikeville had in the 5th inning.

And the triple was not "seeing eye" anything. It was a freaking frozen rope to the fence. I think some of you Pikeville fans need to eat your crow. The fact is that all everyone has heard is how dominate Pikeville was and how there was no way LC could get enough runs to win.

And all of Lawrence County also thought Chandler could not be touched, guess again.
Commanche Wrote:I really want to root for the LC players next week because they are for the most part classy guys, with very few exceptions. Tate, Chan, Cody and Ramsey I know personally and they are great guys. Others showed no character at all such as the crotch shot by Cline at the end of the game toward the mothers. How that kid made East/West is a joke. I really will root for you all if you few idiots on here would tone it down.

My take is that most LC fans are great people but some of you really taint them.

Good luck to the good ones and enjoy your experience, it is awesome.

Perhaps it had something to do with your fans yelling things at LC's players? I heard them where I was at. They made comments towards them all night. Also, these are high school kids who get caught up in the moment. But of course, Pikeville players have never cursed on the field or towards the stands...:eyeroll: Right?

I'm also pretty sure Cline never made the East/West. His numbers were very good though. I don't know the stats but was told by several people that he won around 5 games and had an ERA below 2.00. But he doesn't wear the Purple, so I guess he doesn't deserve it...:eyeroll:

Oh, we don't need you to tell us how great the state tournament atmosphere is. We've experienced it enough. Remember 2008 and 2009?
Polka Wrote:And all of Lawrence County also thought Chandler could not be touched, guess again.

Yes, he was touched. With bloops and handle shots. Hamilton and Maynard were rocked with line drives. But the LC offense is bad, according to everyone prior to the game last night. I mean they only beat Magoffin 1-0 and Belfry 1-0. Last night was a fluke...:eyeroll:
Great game to watch!! 2 very good teams playing hard and giving the crowd an exciting game to watch!! Congrats to the Dawgs and good luck at the next step!!
Congrats to LC!! In my opinion the Pikeville coach lost this game when he let the 14 year old continue to pitch after 4 runs crossed the plate. He had pitched a awesome game up till then but he got tired you could tell his velovity was gone, Not making excuses but facts are real. Give LC all the credit and Chandler handled it like a pro! It wil be a game to remember for a while! GO DAWGS!
For the record...the hit by Dave Balaklaw in the 6th was scored a double with extra base earned by an E9. I only mention it because I have seen it called a triple several times on here and I'm a stat guy. lol

I AM NOT taking anything away from the clutch hit, in the best spot he could put it, at the time his team needed it most. I thought it was a great championship game by two great teams.

I also think the folks at Prestonsburg did a great job hosting a great tournament.
dawgeers Wrote:Aren't you an arrogant piece of crap? Still not giving LC's offense any credit? Things like "99/100 times" crap don't cut it. :dontthink You and others on here stated that the offense of LC could not hit Hamilton. Now you are saying "fluke"? The fact is that the "fluke" was the bloops that Pikeville had in the 5th inning.

Going in, I had told someone I thought LC would win 2-0. What we all witnessed last night was probably the most random sequence of events that someone could have put together. Chandler gave up more runs than he did all year combined and Pikeville gave up more runs in one inning than they had in any one game combined this year. Pikeville was 6 outs away with a 5 run lead. The only bad thing was by the time everyone really realized that Jacob was gassed, was when it was too late. His velocity was just gone. And that is understandable. He is a young guy who has thrown a lot of innings and was throwing some very stressful pitches last night. As bad as I wouldn't want Burton in that situation, I think if he comes in for the last 2 innings, Pikeville wins by 2 or 3. I say that because LC was not gonna go away easily but Burton had enough in the tank to blow it past some of the weaker LC batters.

But coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't matter. Lawrence County won. It just hurts so bad to be so close, to go from so high to so low. When you are that close to getting #9 it is just something that will unfortunately stay with the Pikeville faithful for a long, long time. I think some of that good that comes with that is that you have to give a lot of credit to LC. They got a lot of timely hits, you cannot really point to any one thing that lost this game.

Jetpilot's 99/100 comments sound a little familiar don't they? So before you go throwing him under the bus, throw your fanbase under it for saying verbatim the exact same thing last year. I believe he has a little sarcasm in the statement becasue of the "fluke" excuses the Dawgs made last year. And who the heck had told you that Pikeville would dominate and whatever? Anyone with half a brain assumed this game was at the most 45-55% in either direction.

But all of this being said, good luck to LC at the State tournament. I am happy for Chandler, Tate, and Ramsey even if it had to come at the expense of my Panthers. And to Pikeville get back in the cage, get out on the field and bust it in the off-season because these seniors that have been the heart and soul of the program for the past 3-4 years are gone. It is gonna be tough to go out Feb. 15th and not see Clark Keene, Steven Layne, Taylor Ratliff, Layne Cecil, and Sam Burton. Those guys are true "baseball players" of which we are running out. But I do believe their work on the field has sparked a love of the game in a lot of young kids in Pikeville. It has sparked some travel teams as they have displayed the importance of playing year round and the rewards that will come with it. It is just hard to swallow when your season ends, especially when it ends anywhere but in Lexington. I hope all those guys know that I will be there for them whenever and for whatever.

It was an aboslutely amazing run. A combined 60-14 record in 2 season with a Regional title and Final Four. I hope the young guys realize they need to keep working and never stop because perfection is not a destination, but an on going journey. Never stop working. Keep getting better and next season it is going to be wide-open.

One more time for those seniors, HAIL PIKEVILLE!
I sure thought Pikeville would win this region again. Congrats LC, good luck at state.
This was the absoulte best game of the year between two traditional powers fighting for the spot in the state tournament. Was Chandler and Hamilton both great, my answer would be yes even after the hits they surrendered. Both defenses are the best in the 15th region but even at times they let down and the other team capitalized. In the game od baseball no matter what level you will always have one bad inning. How you handle that inning and the game after will determine what kind of team you have?After last night we found LC is a fiesty group of kids who do not give up, and that is a testiment to their head coach Travis Feltner. If anyone would have told Pikeville's coach your going to score 6 runs off of Shepherd I guarantee he would chalk up the "W" for his team. But that is why you play the game and see what happens.Is Pikeville a great team, umm yeah most definitely. They were the best team on the field for half of that game and especillay the two innings. The Bulldogs scored 8 runs in one inning on a team that hasdn't given up many runs all year and that was unexpected. As a fan of baseball this was a pleasure to watch and will be one of the best games ever witnessed in Eastern Kentucky. Congrats to Pikeville for a heck of a season, and congrats to the Bulldogs for the 15th region championship. Excellent game by two classy programs for the most part except a few bonehead players for LC at the end. But thank you to all the players as it a game for the ages..... go Dawgs!!!!
absolute sorry**
Panther Thunder Wrote:Going in, I had told someone I thought LC would win 2-0. What we all witnessed last night was probably the most random sequence of events that someone could have put together. Chandler gave up more runs than he did all year combined and Pikeville gave up more runs in one inning than they had in any one game combined this year. Pikeville was 6 outs away with a 5 run lead. The only bad thing was by the time everyone really realized that Jacob was gassed, was when it was too late. His velocity was just gone. And that is understandable. He is a young guy who has thrown a lot of innings and was throwing some very stressful pitches last night. As bad as I wouldn't want Burton in that situation, I think if he comes in for the last 2 innings, Pikeville wins by 2 or 3. I say that because LC was not gonna go away easily but Burton had enough in the tank to blow it past some of the weaker LC batters.

But coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't matter. Lawrence County won. It just hurts so bad to be so close, to go from so high to so low. When you are that close to getting #9 it is just something that will unfortunately stay with the Pikeville faithful for a long, long time. I think some of that good that comes with that is that you have to give a lot of credit to LC. They got a lot of timely hits, you cannot really point to any one thing that lost this game.

Jetpilot's 99/100 comments sound a little familiar don't they? So before you go throwing him under the bus, throw your fanbase under it for saying verbatim the exact same thing last year. I believe he has a little sarcasm in the statement becasue of the "fluke" excuses the Dawgs made last year. And who the heck had told you that Pikeville would dominate and whatever? Anyone with half a brain assumed this game was at the most 45-55% in either direction.

But all of this being said, good luck to LC at the State tournament. I am happy for Chandler, Tate, and Ramsey even if it had to come at the expense of my Panthers. And to Pikeville get back in the cage, get out on the field and bust it in the off-season because these seniors that have been the heart and soul of the program for the past 3-4 years are gone. It is gonna be tough to go out Feb. 15th and not see Clark Keene, Steven Layne, Taylor Ratliff, Layne Cecil, and Sam Burton. Those guys are true "baseball players" of which we are running out. But I do believe their work on the field has sparked a love of the game in a lot of young kids in Pikeville. It has sparked some travel teams as they have displayed the importance of playing year round and the rewards that will come with it. It is just hard to swallow when your season ends, especially when it ends anywhere but in Lexington. I hope all those guys know that I will be there for them whenever and for whatever.

It was an aboslutely amazing run. A combined 60-14 record in 2 season with a Regional title and Final Four. I hope the young guys realize they need to keep working and never stop because perfection is not a destination, but an on going journey. Never stop working. Keep getting better and next season it is going to be wide-open.

One more time for those seniors, HAIL PIKEVILLE!
A classy excellent post PT but that was expected. Thanks and best wishes to the future Panther years. I figure you to be around that program for several years to come.
dawgeers Wrote:Aren't you an arrogant piece of crap? Still not giving LC's offense any credit? Things like "99/100 times" crap don't cut it. :dontthink You and others on here stated that the offense of LC could not hit Hamilton. Now you are saying "fluke"? The fact is that the "fluke" was the bloops that Pikeville had in the 5th inning.

Stuff like that is why most of the LC posters on this board are known as the lowest forms of life on the planet. Don't blow all your government check before the tournament starts. Be sure to ask somebody with some sense how to get to Lexington from Louisa and I must warn you that they tore the Continental Inn down several years ago. Maybe you and about 25 of your buddies can all chip in and get a room at the Microtel.
Dawgeers. It is over.We Won. We scored more runs than they did. We got the championship.We won the Regional. We are going to the big show.We don't play again until next year. We scored 9 runs and they got 6. It is finished. We need to think about Conner/NCC.You are going to get us in trouble with the water company. Gosh call a time out.
jetpilot Wrote:Stuff like that is why most of the LC posters on this board are known as the lowest forms of life on the planet. Don't blow all your government check before the tournament starts. Be sure to ask somebody with some sense how to get to Lexington from Louisa and I must warn you that they tore the Continental Inn down several years ago. Maybe you and about 25 of your buddies can all chip in and get a room at the Microtel.
Just like posts like that are a black eye to the Pikeville program. All programs have people that embarass their programs on this board.
I've got a lot of friends in Pikeville, Paintsville, Pburg and grew up in Louisa. People on here from every school make me cringe and people from every program represent well. The shame of it is that if you watch the kids on the field in whatever sport the majority of the time there is a mutal respect and they understand other parts of the state look down their nose toward them.
Congrats to Pikeville's kids. You guys have really put together a nice run.
Congrats to LC you guys did an outstanding job of battling through adversity as a team. Same goes for Shep. He should be flattered people are so excited to get a hit off of him while he is going to the state tourney again + once again Regional player of the year. I've watched how he interacts with players on the other teams and am very proud of the way he's handled his success. I think Tate Banks deserves a lot of credit too. Sometimes overshadowed he is a gritty kid that has really come up big for the Dogs this year! Coach Feltner went into this off season thinking he had Shep, Burton, Moore as 1 of the better 1/2/3 punches in the state. Season started and he only had 1 of them throwing for LC. He+ Coach Micheal have doen a great job and Tate has really been clutch.
As for the errors etc I think unless you have been in a game of that magnitude it's hard to figure out why things are that crazy. That's as much build up as I remember for a high school baseball game in this area in a long long time. Pressure makes funny things happen. People can say what they want about Balaclaws ave etc. Bottom line is when it was on the line he came through in the clutch. People shouldn't discredit the kid because they have no idea how much time these kids put in during the off season. I'm sure Pikeville is the same way or they wouldn't be playing at the level they are.
Proud of both teams for all of their work and they way they represent their programs outside of a kid or two. Best of luck LC in Lex! Hope to make the trip again.
jetpilot Wrote:Stuff like that is why most of the LC posters on this board are known as the lowest forms of life on the planet. Don't blow all your government check before the tournament starts. Be sure to ask somebody with some sense how to get to Lexington from Louisa and I must warn you that they tore the Continental Inn down several years ago. Maybe you and about 25 of your buddies can all chip in and get a room at the Microtel.

Says the man from Pike County :lmao:
Truth is, this is just a typical sports forum. You have the bad guys, good guys, and the guys that everyone despises. People will get on here and make their predictions, and state their facts, and share their stats.

If you want a quick fact, here you go: Lawrence County's seniors overall record would put the Pikeville's seniors record to shame. Lawrence County wins in every category...

Okay, so now I'm a bad guy. Okay... Pikeville had the best baseball season in school history...good guy now? AWESOME!

The thing is, people take things said on here to hard. Big deal if Chris Cline gave a crotch pop to some old ladies, you act like they have never seen that before.

Now when people read that on a sports form, Chris is the one who everyone despises.

This website was meant for people to argue over stats and logic...that's the thing, but now people are turning this into a topix board.

Overall, people need to just have fun and enjoy their spoils of winning. Get on here, post some facts, stats, and lololool all night about your team winning. You have the right to do so. But when you lose you got to remember to back off....which is what some people on here need to understand..

Lawrence County won, and that's final! They are the champs! Pikeville got their laughs in last year. It's LC's turn. You lost Pikeville, get over it. Price you pay when you go up against a team better than you. lol

There, I stated my opinion...If you take it to hard, thats your own fault..

LAWRENCE COUNTY 15th REGION CHAMPS!!!
Talk about embarrassing a program. :flush:
THExBURCHINATER Wrote:Truth is, this is just a typical sports forum. You have the bad guys, good guys, and the guys that everyone despises. People will get on here and make their predictions, and state their facts, and share their stats.

If you want a quick fact, here you go: Lawrence County's seniors overall record would put the Pikeville's seniors record to shame. Lawrence County wins in every category...

Okay, so now I'm a bad guy. Okay... Pikeville had the best baseball season in school history...good guy now? AWESOME!

The thing is, people take things said on here to hard. Big deal if Chris Cline gave a crotch pop to some old ladies, you act like they have never seen that before.

Now when people read that on a sports form, Chris is the one who everyone despises.

This website was meant for people to argue over stats and logic...that's the thing, but now people are turning this into a topix board.

Overall, people need to just have fun and enjoy their spoils of winning. Get on here, post some facts, stats, and lololool all night about your team winning. You have the right to do so. But when you lose you got to remember to back off....which is what some people on here need to understand..

Lawrence County won, and that's final! They are the champs! Pikeville got their laughs in last year. It's LC's turn. You lost Pikeville, get over it. Price you pay when you go up against a team better than you. lol

There, I stated my opinion...If you take it to hard, thats your own fault..

LAWRENCE COUNTY 15th REGION CHAMPS!!!
Oh, we don't mind the smack talk, it's just that some fans (on both sides, not just yours or just ours) tend to cross the line. Want to talk smack? Fine, have at it. Want to talk facts? Let's talk facts. LC's team has had a wonderful season. Congratulations to them, and I will be rooting for them as the 15th region reps. BUT, while the senior class may have a better overall record than Pikeville's, it hardly "puts it to shame" or beats it in every category:

Total win/loss record for senior classes: LC 107-42 Pikeville 98-37 (this is from 2008 to now) Pretty close, definitely not totally outclassing Pikeville, though.

Winning percentage of senior classes: LC .718% Pikeville .726%

Most wins in a season: LC 32 (in 2008) Pikeville 35 (2011)

Now, lets look at the programs since LC joined the 15th region:

Total record: LC 150-72 (.675%) Pikeville 141-63 (.691%)

Total number of losing seasons in the past 6 years (since LC joined 15th): LC 1, Pikeville 0

There's some facts. How about that? We actually beat y'all in a couple categories. So it looks like you don't own EVERY single category. lol Look, like I said earlier in the post, congrats to LC, I really hope they go and win it all, even if it means some fans will be absolutely intolerable on here until next year. Go ahead, tear into the facts and say they aren't relevant, yada yada. You wanted some facts, you got some.

By the way, if the LC player really did give a crotch pop towards fans in the stands, that is uncalled for. Act like you have some class, boy. And I would say the EXACT same thing if a Pikeville player did it. Problem is, too many players watching too much freaking ESPN and not being taught class by coaches nowadays (not singling any team or player out, it's across the board). If I were the coach, that player would be running steps until he puked for something like that.
LClion4life Wrote:Talk about embarrassing a program. :flush:

I agree, JetPilot crossed the line.

JP, we shouldn't lower ourselves to their level, hard as it may be. :biggrin:
bulldog42 Wrote:Just like posts like that are a black eye to the Pikeville program. All programs have people that embarass their programs on this board.
I've got a lot of friends in Pikeville, Paintsville, Pburg and grew up in Louisa. People on here from every school make me cringe and people from every program represent well. The shame of it is that if you watch the kids on the field in whatever sport the majority of the time there is a mutal respect and they understand other parts of the state look down their nose toward them.
Congrats to Pikeville's kids. You guys have really put together a nice run.
Congrats to LC you guys did an outstanding job of battling through adversity as a team. Same goes for Shep. He should be flattered people are so excited to get a hit off of him while he is going to the state tourney again + once again Regional player of the year. I've watched how he interacts with players on the other teams and am very proud of the way he's handled his success. I think Tate Banks deserves a lot of credit too. Sometimes overshadowed he is a gritty kid that has really come up big for the Dogs this year! Coach Feltner went into this off season thinking he had Shep, Burton, Moore as 1 of the better 1/2/3 punches in the state. Season started and he only had 1 of them throwing for LC. He+ Coach Micheal have doen a great job and Tate has really been clutch.
As for the errors etc I think unless you have been in a game of that magnitude it's hard to figure out why things are that crazy. That's as much build up as I remember for a high school baseball game in this area in a long long time. Pressure makes funny things happen. People can say what they want about Balaclaws ave etc. Bottom line is when it was on the line he came through in the clutch. People shouldn't discredit the kid because they have no idea how much time these kids put in during the off season. I'm sure Pikeville is the same way or they wouldn't be playing at the level they are.
Proud of both teams for all of their work and they way they represent their programs outside of a kid or two. Best of luck LC in Lex! Hope to make the trip again.

:Thumbs:
PHSForever Wrote:Oh, we don't mind the smack talk, it's just that some fans (on both sides, not just yours or just ours) tend to cross the line. Want to talk smack? Fine, have at it. Want to talk facts? Let's talk facts. LC's team has had a wonderful season. Congratulations to them, and I will be rooting for them as the 15th region reps. BUT, while the senior class may have a better overall record than Pikeville's, it hardly "puts it to shame" or beats it in every category:

Total win/loss record for senior classes: LC 107-42 Pikeville 98-37 (this is from 2008 to now) Pretty close, definitely not totally outclassing Pikeville, though.

Winning percentage of senior classes: LC .718% Pikeville .726%

Most wins in a season: LC 32 (in 2008) Pikeville 35 (2011)

Now, lets look at the programs since LC joined the 15th region:

Total record: LC 150-72 (.675%) Pikeville 141-63 (.691%)

Total number of losing seasons in the past 6 years (since LC joined 15th): LC 1, Pikeville 0

There's some facts. How about that? We actually beat y'all in a couple categories. So it looks like you don't own EVERY single category. lol Look, like I said earlier in the post, congrats to LC, I really hope they go and win it all, even if it means some fans will be absolutely intolerable on here until next year. Go ahead, tear into the facts and say they aren't relevant, yada yada. You wanted some facts, you got some.

By the way, if the LC player really did give a crotch pop towards fans in the stands, that is uncalled for. Act like you have some class, boy. And I would say the EXACT same thing if a Pikeville player did it. Problem is, too many players watching too much freaking ESPN and not being taught class by coaches nowadays (not singling any team or player out, it's across the board). If I were the coach, that player would be running steps until he puked for something like that.

My favorite stat of all is we will be in Lexington next week where will you be... Oh that's right Pikeville..
2008 t0 2011 LC Played 60 15 region games

Pikeville same time span 92 games

do i need to say more
thank you vector thats exactly what i was gonna say...pikeville your records and stats are very good PHSForever but i mean LC's quality of schedule is so much higher...just saying
Simple as this:
Pikeville be mature and love your boys for the year they had, respect the opponent even in defeat.
Lawrence County...see above.
fishindawg Wrote:My favorite stat of all is we will be in Lexington next week where will you be... Oh that's right Pikeville..
LOL Good one! Ya got me on that one. Like I said, it's all in fun as long as no one crosses lines. I sincerely wish LC well this week.