Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Catholic / Lawrence County UPDATES
Newcath leads 11-3 after 5 and a half.
Winning run again at 1st base for the Breds with 0 outs.
Winning run at 2nd on the wild pitch. 2nd and 3rd 0 outs.
12-3 with 0 outs. Runners at 1st and 3rd.
Base hit. And that'll do it. 13-3 Newport Central Catholic.
Color me surprised. That's how it goes sometimes though. NCC was fun to watch today. They have a solid ball club that caught some breaks and capitalized.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Lawrence County coaches acting a fool.
I didn't get to see it, what happened to make you say the coaches were acting the fool?
PHSForever Wrote:I didn't get to see it, what happened to make you say the coaches were acting the fool?

I was told by someone who was at the game that some of the coaches for Newport were saying something to one of LC's assistant coaches and words were exchanged. It wasn't anything big though. This was what I was told. If true, things like this can happen. No big deal.
dawgeers Wrote:I was told by someone who was at the game that some of the coaches for Newport were saying something to one of LC's assistant coaches and words were exchanged. It wasn't anything big though. This was what I was told. If true, things like this can happen. No big deal.

I WAS there and yes words were exchanged by Coach Holt with NCC 1st base coach BECAUSE the NCC coach ran his mouth first of all to Chandler and pointed his finger at him and then a few innings later, did the same thing to Ramsey Compton. Loudly and blantantly mouthing these boys enough to be heard in the stands. Coach Holt was warranted in being upset.

I think the "fool" award goes to any coach who gets his pleasure out of bad mouthing kids.
Dawg@heart Wrote:I WAS there and yes words were exchanged by Coach Holt with NCC 1st base coach BECAUSE the NCC coach ran his mouth first of all to Chandler and pointed his finger at him and then a few innings later, did the same thing to Ramsey Compton. Loudly and blantantly mouthing these boys enough to be heard in the stands. Coach Holt was warranted in being upset.

I think the "fool" award goes to any coach who gets his pleasure out of bad mouthing kids.

I totally agree, but was this not directly after his star Pitcher got plunked the second time. Emotions flare in this situation.
Commanche Wrote:I totally agree, but was this not directly after his star Pitcher got plunked the second time. Emotions flare in this situation.

I asked this same question and was told that it happened a couple innings after the kid for NCC was hit and everything had calmed down up until this point. I don't know for sure, just what I was told.
Article says it happened after a collision at first base between two LC and NCC players.
PHSForever Wrote:Article says it happened after a collision at first base between two LC and NCC players.

You can watch the games online. I watched the game and there was no collision the entire game. I think that is a false statement. But maybe I missed it.
The only collision at first base was between LC's David Balaklaw and the first baseman for NCC on a bang-bang play which Balaklaw was called out on the tag by the first baseman who jumped up and caught the throw and tagged Balaklaw in the air. That was with the bases loaded.
dawgeers Wrote:You can watch the games online. I watched the game and there was no collision the entire game. I think that is a false statement. But maybe I missed it.
Here is the link to the story:

http://www.kypost.com/dpp/sports/base-od...t-at-state
PHSForever Wrote:Here is the link to the story:

http://www.kypost.com/dpp/sports/base-od...t-at-state

Go online and check it out for yourself. I just did again. I scrolled it to the 5th inning and watched the supposed "collision". There was no collision, no punch, nothing. Seems that maybe the NCC coach needed his glasses. I'm surely confused on what he says he saw.
The bottom line is NCC hit the ball better then LC and ran the bases better. But at the same time it's easy to hit a ball that is coming right down the middle and that is the only place the umpire was calling strikes out. I'm not saying NCC didn't deserve to win or anything like that, but clearly they could have picked better umpires then those guys. They didn't make right callls on several occasions and sometimes didn't know what to do it looked like. It's the state tournament and you have umpires control the game which is horse crap. Everyone there knew some of those pitches Shepherd threw that were called balls were strikes. It wasn't even close and yea they will have an effect on any kid. Shepher is a great young man and a class act.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:The bottom line is NCC hit the ball better then LC and ran the bases better. But at the same time it's easy to hit a ball that is coming right down the middle and that is the only place the umpire was calling strikes out. I'm not saying NCC didn't deserve to win or anything like that, but clearly they could have picked better umpires then those guys. They didn't make right callls on several occasions and sometimes didn't know what to do it looked like. It's the state tournament and you have umpires control the game which is horse crap. Everyone there knew some of those pitches Shepherd threw that were called balls were strikes. It wasn't even close and yea they will have an effect on any kid. Shepher is a great young man and a class act.

Blaming umpires for a mercy game. Fact is that all umpires arent as liberal as the 15th. Chan gets a lot of calls up here because of his reputation. I will agree Shep is a great player and wish him nothing but the best. I watched the game and it appeared the game was called fairly even. On this day NCC was better. Thats it.
dawgeers Wrote:Go online and check it out for yourself. I just did again. I scrolled it to the 5th inning and watched the supposed "collision". There was no collision, no punch, nothing. Seems that maybe the NCC coach needed his glasses. I'm surely confused on what he says he saw.
First baseman and one of your runners collided, no punching.
Commanche Wrote:Blaming umpires for a mercy game. Fact is that all umpires arent as liberal as the 15th. Chan gets a lot of calls up here because of his reputation. I will agree Shep is a great player and wish him nothing but the best. I watched the game and it appeared the game was called fairly even. On this day NCC was better. Thats it.

I heard that there were some balls/strike calls in the 1st and 2nd inning that really hurt and led to the big inning. Would it have been different? Who knows. Also, after watching the game online there was the ball that the LC player hit and beat out in the 2nd inning that would have scored 1 run and brought Shepherd up with runners on. The umpire calls him out, when he appeared safe. Also another call in the bottom of the 2nd where the NCC runner was out, but called safe allowing the inning to continue when it was just 3-0 at that point.

Commanche Wrote:First baseman and one of your runners collided, no punching.

That wasn't the altercation. The altercation and the alleged punch attempt happened in the 5th inning. Go back and watch the top half of the inning and you will see it. I went back and watched it a couple of times and still cannot see where the NCC coaches thought that LC #8 attempted anything.