Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: Lawrence Co. using illegal player
I remember watching O.J. Mayo play youth football at Douglass Commack in Huntington, WV. Some people say he was better at football then basketball.. scary thought...
lcgrad2002 Wrote:This thread needs to be closed. There is nothing illegal going on with this young man and him playing at LC. Great young man who contributed a lot to the team this year. Can't wait to see him play next year.
I think this thread has morphed into a very good conversation on player eligibility. I think the title of this thread is VERY misleading.
NCC calling out anyone for having a non-resident player is comical. NCC has guys from multiple counties and a player who said in todays paper he was "talked in to coming to NCC". I don't know the details of each specific case, but you could theoretically live in Louisville and go to NCC if you wanted to make the drive every morning.
You and your disdain for NCC Smile This is NOT NCC "Calling Out" another school, so don't play that card for the NCC folks. You always seem to forget about the folks who "move" to Ft. Thomas - Wink, Wink LMAO!
lcgrad2002 Wrote:I remember watching O.J. Mayo play youth football at Douglass Commack in Huntington, WV. Some people say he was better at football then basketball.. scary thought...

That is 100% true. At the time, he was better at football. He was one heck of a quarterback.
Pupaw Wrote:Didn't add much to the team? If I'm not mistaken he did hit leadoff for the most part, (from what I've heard). And he played solid defense, and was a vocal leader on this team. I heard the latter part first hand.

LC has plenty of good players.. he was definitely not needed.. he was an okay player .. but there was always someone in the same spot previously ..so LC was definitely not out recruiting this player. If they had been recruiting they would have been looking for a good pitcher for next year!.. Wish him luck at whatever school he decides to play at next year.. but legally should probably be Paintsville.
I never said that LC was out recruiting him. But he was your most consistent hitter throughout the playoffs, I believe he hit well over .400 through the District, Region, and State. I'd take this kid over anyone else that played the same position as him. The only one I could see performing as well, or better is Banks and he played SS all season. His toughness is contagious, and has a solid work ethic. To say he was not needed is absurd.
I think the gist of this thread is to point out that LC used a player whose elgibility is in question. The responsibility to check into this falls on the enrolling school (LC), whenever the student shows up. The KHSAA is there to support/enforce the findings. Just because "it happens all the time" doesn't make it right.
I would think if there was any question at all about any player on any team someone would file a complaint. Since Paintsville is in the same district you would think they would have a legitimate complaint if there was a transfer violation. There are very many reasons why any transfer may be necessary and none of them have anything to do with sports. However, there have been several high profile cases of blatant recruiting and outright lying to the Khsaa all to try to win a few more meaningless games. If a person has to lie to play a sport, I for one would question their character and would not want them on my team. What else would they lie about in order for things to go their way?
Stardust Wrote:I was not at the game yesterday, but 4 of the NCC players play on our summer team and I heard from the parents in glee when they returned home last night. It's sounds like some disgruntled individuals were saying that a player for the LC team really lives in Paintsville (next to the school is what was said), and makes the drive to LC every day. I guess the reason they are upset is that not only does the player play out of District (taking a LC player's spot), but is possibly going to try to go back to Paintsville next year.

Don't shoot the messenger here. I have no names, thus rumors are rumors. Anyone hear of this? We hear things like this all the time, and I see rumors on this board often. Since I don't know the area, but the primary posters on this site are from that area, was just looking to see what anyone else has heard.

this is incorrect. the kid lives in LC and does not drive from pville.
9-POINT Wrote:this is incorrect. the kid lives in LC and does not drive from pville.

Good, so this rumor is all incorrect.
Stardust Wrote:Good, so this rumor is all incorrect.

Great. So the NCC players speculation was wrong. But, NCC has a player that came in at Christmas, went to Walton the first semester, and drives to NCC from Boone Co each day passing 12 other high schools along the drive in. Since NCC's district encompasses the entire state of Ky this is okay?
Wideleft01 Wrote:Great. So the NCC players speculation was wrong. But, NCC has a player that came in at Christmas, went to Walton the first semester, and drives to NCC from Boone Co each day passing 12 other high schools along the drive in. Since NCC's district encompasses the entire state of Ky this is okay?

In the case you state above yes it is ok. As long as the kid lives in the Covington Diocese area, (which includes the counties of Boone, Kenton, Campbell, Grant, Gallatin, Owen, Carroll, Bracken, Pendelton, Harrison, Fleming, Mason, Robertson & Lewis) they can attended any of the Diocese schools in that area. http://www.covingtondiocese.org/index.cf...&From=Home

This is also the same for the Central Kentucky Diocese, Louisville Diocese and Western Ky Diocese.
Stardust Wrote:Good, so this rumor is all incorrect.

Incorrect in the fact that he drives to LC. Like I said earlier his family has property in both counties and they are simply living in LC. Its no big deal and has been blown way out of proportion. However it was good to bring this up because the KHSAA is about half crazy when it comes to transfers.
Wideleft01 Wrote:NCC calling out anyone for having a non-resident player is comical. NCC has guys from multiple counties and a player who said in todays paper he was "talked in to coming to NCC". I don't know the details of each specific case, but you could theoretically live in Louisville and go to NCC if you wanted to make the drive every morning.

This case is somewhat unique. the player played varsity basketball at one school the 1st semester then transfers to another school to play varsity baseball the second semester while his siblings remained at previous school. Doesn't this seem odd no matter what the case? Agreed there are extenuating circumstances, even with those. It makes me scratch my head. :igiveup:
dd734 Wrote:This case is somewhat unique. the player played varsity basketball at one school the 1st semester then transfers to another school to play varsity baseball the second semester while his siblings remained at previous school. Doesn't this seem odd no matter what the case? Agreed there are extenuating circumstances, even with those. It makes me scratch my head. :igiveup:

Sounds like a violation to me. It doesn't matter if it is private. If you change schools, you are suppose to move out of the school district that you were living in. Sounds like a little hanky panky in the world of catholicism and sports. That is nothing new though. If they did move, the other siblings could still attend their old school as along as they are not living in that district. It does sound odd though.
dd734 Wrote:This case is somewhat unique. the player played varsity basketball at one school the 1st semester then transfers to another school to play varsity baseball the second semester while his siblings remained at previous school. Doesn't this seem odd no matter what the case? Agreed there are extenuating circumstances, even with those. It makes me scratch my head. :igiveup:
My statement was misleading on this. He didn't transfer just to play baseball. It is still a fishy situation.
I could be mistaken, but it doesn't matter where you live. If the previous school attended grants a release and eveything is approved by the KHSAA then you can play at the new school. Moving out of the school district almost always guarantees a release, but moving is not necessary if the release is granted and approved. From situations I've seen, that approval usually isn't granted if no move occured and the player has to sit a year. As stated, most of the time it's just a matter of having an address in the new location.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Great. So the NCC players speculation was wrong. But, NCC has a player that came in at Christmas, went to Walton the first semester, and drives to NCC from Boone Co each day passing 12 other high schools along the drive in. Since NCC's district encompasses the entire state of Ky this is okay?

As mentioned, it's been done in Ft. Thomas as well!
this is a disgrace to lc they should not have done this at all