Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region 2011-12
FanofThegame12 Wrote:You're right NL is most definitely the favorite. And I wish them the best I would just like to see Harlan County make a deep run like I know they can.

Also I'm not hating on coach Lewis but after losing two years in a row to Corbin with Boggs on the mound I wonder if he'll try anybody else on the staff to get past first round.

The draw is key to winning the regionals. Not taking anything away from Clay the last two years because they were by far the best team in it, but drawing Barbourville first round both years helps dramatically.
I agree that getting a good draw can be very decisive in winning the region. Last year, I don't think anyone was beating Clay no matter what the draw - although getting Barbourville made things a little easier (not taking anything from Barbourville as they will be decent this year and have a good coach, but Clay was just on a different level last year). North will be similar this year; however, if they were to draw Corbin in the first round and face Vorbeck (or any pitcher that has a great night) on the hill, they could very well go down.

As far as Boggs & Epperson go, both are good kids and talented at all positions they play on the field. Neither are overwhelming or are D1 talent, but if they are on, they can beat any team in the region.

The Vorbeck kid at Corbin could very well play at a high level in college. He is a very talented player. He is one of the top 2 players in the region along with the Storm kid from NL.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:Well. I guess everyone has their opinions and it doesn't matter what we say what matters is come game time the kids prove it.

Vorbeck has velocity, yes. But I highly doubt 92, Id say mid 80's.
I heard he was going to EKU but I could be wrong don't hold it against me.

Those are some decent stats, but I'd like to see how he does against some top contenders away from region. If I'm correct, HC played Ballard in Myrtle Beach ,who comes out of the 7th region which is basically one of the best around and only got beat 10-0 after having already played a game 45 minutes before. IMO, epperson couldn't have handled competition like that.

Funny how they decided not to report the game they lost before the Ballard game. I had heard that HC wasn't reporting all of their losses down there but I guess this pretty much solidifies that. If you look on the KHSAA website, Ballard was the only team they played that day.

Epperson made the Kentucky East-West Game last year and pitched very well against the best the state had to offer. I'd take him over Boggs any day and twice on Sunday. Didn't Boggs give up a HR to Epperson last year?

Back on topic, for Corbin, I think when Vorbeck is on the mound this year, they will be the favorite regardless of who they are playing. Without him on the mound, they are barely top 5. KC should be down as well without King on the hill this year.

I'd say the top 5 going in have to be: Clay County, Middlesboro, North Laurel, Harlan County, and South Laurel/Corbin(Vorbeck)
Look I don't know all their stats and I was just saying/let's not be harsh ok?

You cannot put Middlesboro ahead of HC, I mean I know they're your team but they're just not better. And giving up a home run to a player doesn't mean their better. All I know is Harlan County beat Middlesboro twice right? one with a lefty who they weren't sure was gonna start. And the other in the 52nd district championship with their ace . So Harlan County won when it mattered so I'll leave it at that.
What pitchers does Clay have from last years team?
Judge Wrote:What pitchers does Clay have from last years team?

Left hander Smith, not sure of anyone else that may have thrown significant innings could be others that I dont know.
IMO smith from clay is one of the top pitchers in the region, i was looking at his stats on Maxpreps and he has not lost a region game while he was on the mound
I don't mean this in a bad way but is this the lefty who pitched against St.Xavier in the state tournament? If so he was hitting 72-74 on the gun and had an ok breaking ball.

Also MHSParent4life, HC has done nothing but compete with M'boro. They've only been open for four years and making to the district championship with this team the past two years and winning it once says quite a bit about the program.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Funny how they decided not to report the game they lost before the Ballard game. I had heard that HC wasn't reporting all of their losses down there but I guess this pretty much solidifies that. If you look on the KHSAA website, Ballard was the only team they played that day.

Epperson made the Kentucky East-West Game last year and pitched very well against the best the state had to offer. I'd take him over Boggs any day and twice on Sunday. Didn't Boggs give up a HR to Epperson last year?

Back on topic, for Corbin, I think when Vorbeck is on the mound this year, they will be the favorite regardless of who they are playing. Without him on the mound, they are barely top 5. KC should be down as well without King on the hill this year.

I'd say the top 5 going in have to be: Clay County, Middlesboro, North Laurel, Harlan County, and South Laurel/Corbin(Vorbeck)

Travis Smith will be back playing this spring for Corbin and is easily one of the top players in the 13th region. If he can get some work in on the mound during the winter, he will make a very solid #2 pitcher for Corbin.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I don't mean this in a bad way but is this the lefty who pitched against St.Xavier in the state tournament? If so he was hitting 72-74 on the gun and had an ok breaking ball.

Also MHSParent4life, HC has done nothing but compete with M'boro. They've only been open for four years and making to the district championship with this team the past two years and winning it once says quite a bit about the program.

Yes
SEKYFAN Wrote:Travis Smith will be back playing this spring for Corbin and is easily one of the top players in the 13th region. If he can get some work in on the mound during the winter, he will make a very solid #2 pitcher for Corbin.

I wouldnt go that far. Baseball isnt like basketball and football, you cant just stop playing and pick it back up and be in the same form you once were. By the end of the year, he MIGHT be a top 10, but I wouldnt rank him there preseason by any means.
Very true dark. All in all i think it will be very competiive this year in the 13th region, with quite a few teams competing for the regional crown.

-North Laurel.
-Harlan county.
-Clay county.
-South Laurel( should be competitive)
-Middlesboro(if they get a good start early.
the dark wizard Wrote:I wouldnt go that far. Baseball isnt like basketball and football, you cant just stop playing and pick it back up and be in the same form you once were. By the end of the year, he MIGHT be a top 10, but I wouldnt rank him there preseason by any means.

He only sat out 1 year. He was the starting SS and one of the best hitters on Corbin's regional runner-up team his sophomore year, then decided not to play last year after hurting his knee in that championship game.

I have heard there may be some more good news coming in regards to the Corbin baseball team as well.....
what's the good news?
The seniors this year are solid players. when this group of kids was 8th graders they were the best in the middleschool level. this group will go far and is full of leaders.
I always see the jackets working hard in the cages and on the field, what do you think about the senior/s this year? who is gonna be the seniors to watch for on the MHS baseball team
Knox has NO pitching and it will kill them this season.
Region is at South Laurel in 2012
redstorm Wrote:Region is at South Laurel in 2012

If this is official, why was Williamsburg and Corbin skipped in the rotation?
If anybody could find out for sure where the region tournament is gonna be, it would be well appreciated.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I've seen Vorbeck pitch and honestly the kid is not that great of a pitcher. Yea he's got a lil bit of velocity but that's it. I've not seen smith from Clay pitch. Epperson is behind boggs and in my opinion behind a couple of HC pitchers. Don't get me wrong Epperaon is a good player he's not not that good of a pitcher IMO.

EKU must think Vorbeck is pretty good, since they signed him last week.
Baseball time in the mountains is getting closer. Has anyone heard anything about where the region tourny will be officially? Lets get this thread going again.
It's officially at South Laurel. You have to remember that last year, the regional tournament host schedule was completely revamped. Here is the current schedule posted to KHSAA:

http://www.khsaa.org/baseball/regionsite...gion13.pdf

That being said, I believe there are a handful of teams that could win. In no specific order: North Laurel, South Laurel, Clay County, Middlesboro, Corbin, and Harlan County. Of these, I was most hesitant to put North Laurel in there, simply because they can't seem to get over that hump. With all the talent and great facilities that they have, how have they not been more of a contender come regional tournament time?
I think that barbourville is in that 6 instead of middlesboro, dont get me wrong they are a good team but barbourville has too much talent and will beat middlesboro in the regular season and the All "A" Classic!
13th Regional baseball sites:
2012 South Laurel
2013 Knox Central
2014 Harlan County
2015 Corbin High School
2016 Lynn Camp
2017 North Laurel
2018 Whitley County
2019 Middlesboro
2020 Clay County
It's nice to know my sons senior year the tournament will be at Harlan County. Does South Laurel's field still look nice or had any changes since I was last there. I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't they have a wooden fence?
^ Well I looked on the link that MHS Parent provided us with and didnt see HC, should they not be hosting soon right? Their new field is also done so now when visiting teams come to the high school, we get to enjoy the game on a great facility. I'm pretty sure Harlan County plays NL @ NL during the season and at home? Plus, I believe HC opens with SL and Clay. These games along with M'boro games against these teams will be bar setters for whose the favorite? I could be wrong, so don't hold it against me.

I'd like to know everybody's opinions. I'm just ready for some baseball to start!:biggrin:
That being said, I believe there are a handful of teams that could win. In no specific order: North Laurel, South Laurel, Clay County, Middlesboro, Corbin, and Harlan County. Of these, I was most hesitant to put North Laurel in there, simply because they can't seem to get over that hump. With all the talent and great facilities that they have, how have they not been more of a contender come regional tournament time?

The 49th District Draws instead of seeds or they have in the past when Red Bird and OBI would participate. North Laurel entered the 13th Region in 2006 and drew Clay 1st game of the District and lost. 2007 Region Champions. 2008 Lost 1st game of the District to Clay 2-1 in 10 innings. 2009 Lost to Clay 1st game of the District to Clay. 2010 Lost Semi Finals of Region Tournament. 2011 Region Runner-up to Clay. Per KHSAA website.

The Draw in the 49 District has not been kind to North Laurel or Clay.

The 49th District does a Blind Draw if I am correct and the Draw has not been kind to North Laurel and Clay Co. in the past.
North Laurel entered the 13th Region in 2006 they Drew Clay 1st game of District and lost.
2007 - 13th Region Champions
2008 - Drew Clay and Lost 1st game of District 2-1 10 innings
2009 - Drew Clay Lost 1st game of District
2010 - Semi Finals of Region
2011 - Region Runner-up to Clay

North has only been in the Region 6 years Drew Clay 3 of the 4 first years and never made it to the 13th Region tournament. Per KHSAA website
If those facts are correct, then you do have a good point my friend.