Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region 2011-12
tiger baseball Wrote:I think that barbourville is in that 6 instead of middlesboro, dont get me wrong they are a good team but barbourville has too much talent and will beat middlesboro in the regular season and the All "A" Classic!

Lets not get carried away here buddy.:hilarious:
^ that's ok buddy, just wait till the season starts then you will think differently!
tiger baseball Wrote:^ that's ok buddy, just wait till the season starts then you will think differently!

Barbourville will have a decent team but can you seriously imagine them being a real contender? I mean seriously? To be a serious contender you should have about 3 solid pitchers, a few college caliber players, and good coaching. I doubt very seriously they fall into this category. What I won't doubt however is your confidence in your team. That is to be expected. Just don't be surprised if nobody outside of Barbourville feels the same way.

In regards to North Laurel, I will honestly say that come tournament time, sadly, the rest of the region is usually pulling for that draw to happen. North has been very talented, especially in the last 3 years. Unfortunately, Clay County has had their best group ever. I look the for the tide to change a bit on that this year. I'm not saying Clay will be soft, but certainly softer. I expect the region to be much more open than the past 2 seasons.
Really? I'm not saying Barbourville is not a decent team or anything but, I don't see them being some cinderella that wins the region. District maybe but not region, still gotta get past Knox Central.
As far as North laurel and the tournament, I completely agree.
b'ville? come on now thats a little to far. middlesboro will be a great contender this year and i think noth will take it if there pitching will hold up IMO jackets will beat harlan co. during region and district. They want there title back and there out for blood and revenge. i just dont see many teams that work like middlesboro, every single day they are doing something that involves baseball.
baseball7 Wrote:b'ville? come on now thats a little to far. middlesboro will be a great contender this year and i think noth will take it if there pitching will hold up IMO jackets will beat harlan co. during region and district. They want there title back and there out for blood and revenge. i just dont see many teams that work like middlesboro, every single day they are doing something that involves baseball.

It isnt possible for North to win region if Middlesboro beats Harlan County in region.
I doubt M'boro works harder than most, they may work hard but I doubt they work harder than most. Harlan County works hard as well, as I'm sure most teams do. Honestly, there are a slew of teams that could win it, and if I was going to go with a pre-season favorite it would have to be North Laurel. This HC team has grown and matured, got valuable experience along with talent. if they start clicking, The Yellow Jackets as well as the 13th region will be in for some trouble.
The Region will be open with North being the top runner for sure, with Vorbeck you cannot look over Corbin and for Middlesboro being favored over HC I just dont see it. Looking forward to some good baseball this spring.
Would love to see HC cap off this season with a new field and regional title. They have enough talent to pull it off.
middlesboro workes very hard, i agree with everyone, they should work harder on defence. if they get there hitting, pitching and defence clicking together, they will be a very diffficult team to beat. but thats until they start clicking..
Are their any regional teams that have a few baseball players still playing basketball? I know Bond plays at HC but what about Clay County, NL, SL, and Corbin? I need to know who I want to pull for to win the region so that their baseball players don't get back in action until as late as possible. haha
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Are their any regional teams that have a few baseball players still playing basketball? I know Bond plays at HC but what about Clay County, NL, SL, and Corbin? I need to know who I want to pull for to win the region so that their baseball players don't get back in action until as late as possible. haha

Why wouldnt you pull for Middlesboro? Seeing as your name is MHS Parent4life.
I say middlesboro all the way then north an then Harlan co. Middlesboro has a good catcher too many good pitchers to count. Solid infield and solid out field.
Like I said earlier they et EVERYTHING clicking and they will win region.
In my honest opinion, I think the 13th region has 5 to 6 teams that have quite a bit of talent, making for an interesting year in the 13th that we might not have seen in awhile. Of course, me being from HC, I want to pick the Black Bears, they have a talented pitching staff, hitters that are improving, etc.

North Laurel, who seems to be everyones front-runner and rightfully should seeing as they were in the Regional Championship last year. IMO, North Laurel is the best hitting team in the 13th region, and if they had solid pitching they could make alot of noise. I got to watch them in the Championship last year and was very impressed by how they put the ball in play and made Clay Co, make a play.

Clay Co, the reigning champs for two years in the 13th, lost a core group but return a solid team that could very well repeat again, if taken lightly. Losing John Wilson, hurt the most but they return Corum, a speedster, and good leadoff hitter, Hensley, who has a good stick and glove. Along with many others.

Middlesboro, who returns a solid group as well, mainly like HC, returning their core group of players, has a solid hitting team, with what seems like to me a pitching staff that's a little weak, but good enough to win them games. Defense and Pitching IMO, was a major factor they should improve on. I look forward to this 52nd District matchup!

South Laurel, who was very young last year, from what I was told, but had a solid team, who could put the bat on the ball and field it pretty good. I don't know much about what they return, maybe someone could help me out?

Gentleman, baseball is quickly approaching the mountains, I hope this weather cooperates for the season, it's been hectic here in Southeastern KY. I can't explain how excited I'am for baseball to finally be here. Give some more input on the 13th region or any baseball thread! :Thumbs:
MHS Parent, I've heard rumors that Chase Roark, is playing this year, can you give any details, I heard he was a solid player?
I heard he was out but haven't seen him play yet. He used to be an outstanding player in middle school and probably could have started SS all 4 years. We know he has a great arm. It will be interesting to see.
I was just curious. I heard that he was playing. Should be a good pickup for you all? Has a good live arm. What's your opinion about his pitching. Think it will be the same even though he's been short arming the ball?(football)
Roark is playing and he's pretty solid from what I hear defensively but shouldn't be much of an asset offensively
I honestly believe that it's a toss up between 4 teams....north, Mboro, harlan co., and clay or Corbin(with vorbeck) should be fun to see how everything plays out this year
I went to watch a little practice yesterday and Chase Roark was there working at SS and 3B. I asked one of the kids if he had pitched and if so, how he looked. They said that he is probably the 2nd best pitcher on the team and while he doesn't throw quite as hard as Thomas Epperson, he throws everything for a strike. The kid also said that Roark hasn't really let it go yet so he may be able to throw it faster.

Middlesboro will be a different team with him. He is a very solid defensive player.
It's always good for the team.
Carson may be the best pitcher in the 13th this year.

Region should be at Wburg
I've been hearing South Laurel, is it Wburg for sure, RIUTG?
The Regional Tournament is at South Laurel.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Carson may be the best pitcher in the 13th this year.

Region should be at Wburg
Carson isn't even the top pitcher on his own staff. Give me Shears and Eversole and you can have Carson. To argue that any of those 3 are close to Vorbeck, Boggs, or Smith is outrageous.
Hit and Run Wrote:Carson isn't even the top pitcher on his own staff. Give me Shears and Eversole and you can have Carson. To argue that any of those 3 are close to Vorbeck, Boggs, or Smith is outrageous.

Who is Smith?

I would put Epperson in there for one of the top pitchers as well. He throws mid-80's with an above average curve, probably below average change-up. He have been told that he has already been offered a huge scholarship to pitch at Lincoln Memorial University and is being looked at pretty heavily but UofL and UK.

Also, Boggs is not in Vorbeck's league to be honest. If the Jackets had to face Vorbeck, I'd be anxious about it because he throws so hard but I'm betting Boggs throws 82-83. Is that about right? Even if he does have a decent curve, which I actually thought is very average, the change in speed isn't nearly as dramatic and thus, he is easier to hit.

As far as Carson, I didn't even know he pitched. That should tell you something.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Who is Smith?

I would put Epperson in there for one of the top pitchers as well. He throws mid-80's with an above average curve, probably below average change-up. He have been told that he has already been offered a huge scholarship to pitch at Lincoln Memorial University and is being looked at pretty heavily but UofL and UK.

Also, Boggs is not in Vorbeck's league to be honest. If the Jackets had to face Vorbeck, I'd be anxious about it because he throws so hard but I'm betting Boggs throws 82-83. Is that about right? Even if he does have a decent curve, which I actually thought is very average, the change in speed isn't nearly as dramatic and thus, he is easier to hit.

As far as Carson, I didn't even know he pitched. That should tell you something.
Yeah. I can agree with that. I forgot about Epperson. Smith is the lefty from Clay. He doesn't throw it very hard, but he has 4 pitches that he can throw consistently for strikes and the best thing about is that he knows how to pitch. That is one of the most overlooked factors in pitching. A lot of guys have good stuff and throw it hard, but very few actually know how to pitch. Smith is as proven as anybody by winning some big games the last two years. I'd say you're right on Boggs, and I'd be surprised if Vorbeck hits much higher than 85. 85 is a big fastball and most people don't realize that.
I'm just saying Boggs beat you all when it mattered. No hard feelings I'm just stating the facts. But I think most would consider Vorbeck to be the top pitcher in the region along with Epperson, Boggs, Smith and probably a couple others. Just my honest opinion guys. I respect both of your answers.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I've been hearing South Laurel, is it Wburg for sure, RIUTG?

I had thought so due to the order it should fall, but im now hearing it is definitely at South Laurel.