Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th region
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Ya know Hook nobody in the 15th has more respect for Coach Miller than we do. We spent 4 years under his tutorage a few years ago and know him quite well. He is quite capable of going great distances with his Tiger teams and also making big problems for other teams who may have better personnel. I think for the Tigers to be signifiantly successful two things must happen. First of all there are a couple of underclassmen that must play. One of which may be the best freshmen infielders in the region and who will play with most Srs. I think your pitching staff is questionable because they were shadowed by the performances of Jackson. Seems as though he threw ever third game. We really cannot access the rest of the staff. This a notice of Jackson not a slam to the rest of the staff. Anyway best wishes and good luck(to a point).Big Grin

Charlie I hope your right about the infielder. I think it may take a couple years before the Tigers get that kind of performance, has been an error machine in the past but maybe that will get turned around this year. Best of luck to the Tigers this year.
TigerBlues Wrote:Charlie I hope your right about the infielder. I think it may take a couple years before the Tigers get that kind of performance, has been an error machine in the past but maybe that will get turned around this year. Best of luck to the Tigers this year.
The player of which I speak is none other than the skipper's son Matt. The kid is a flat vacum cleaner. He plays on my team now even though he has not reached HS quite yet. Hitting for an 8th grader ,that will be there but he works the glove now. The kid owns a glove and the only thing his dad carried around was a bat. I never look for Matt to do the DH routine. Sorry coach you know it is the truth. D is for defense and that wins games unless it is stolen bases.:biggrin: In my previous post I put a year on him by mistake.Sorry about that, so I guess it should be 5years instead of 4. If he doesn't play I am going to the dougout and his dad will already be there. The Tiger D can be there and I guess we will watch the pitching. If Matt earns the spot then give it to him.On second thought don't play him.
I don't know if I would count Phelps out this year. They turned some heads last year and I expect them to do the same this upcoming season. Top 5 in the region, NO DOUBT!
PHS3 Wrote:I don't know if I would count Phelps out this year. They turned some heads last year and I expect them to do the same this upcoming season. Top 5 in the region, NO DOUBT!
You are absolutely correct. Could never forget that young man.:biggrin:That is for sure.Brought me a homerun ball once and that won't soon be forgotten. The things the kid will do in CF(or whever he plays) will be remembered thats for sure. This was the other kid I put as a freshman in my earlier post. Coach Miller is in a most desireable position. He has a great group of kids in the pipe and a large number that have been playing togather since T-Ball. If you will remember some of them played in two all A State Games.A couple of kids contributed as 8th graders in a state tournement five years ago and one started as a freshman on that same field. My point is simply this,the Tigers have youth to comliment a Senior core. Let those younger kids play if they can and they will.This whole thing of cource has to play out.Best wishes to my Tiger friends with the exception of 3 games:biggrin:
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:You are absolutely correct. Could never forget that young man.:biggrin:That is for sure.Brought me a homerun ball once and that won't soon be forgotten. The things the kid will do in CF(or whever he plays) will be remembered thats for sure. This was the other kid I put as a freshman in my earlier post. Coach Miller is in a most desireable position. He has a great group of kids in the pipe and a large number that have been playing togather since T-Ball. If you will remember some of them played in two all A State Games.A couple of kids contributed as 8th graders in a state tournement five years ago and one started as a freshman on that same field. My point is simply this,the Tigers have youth to comliment a Senior core. Let those younger kids play if they can and they will.This whole thing of cource has to play out.Best wishes to my Tiger friends with the exception of 3 games:biggrin:
I appoligize as this should have been posted to my earlier post regarding Paintsville Tiger Baseball with the player considered being Kent Phelps and he is of cource not a Hornet. Maybe we will see the Phelps hornets in the thick of things this spring.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:The player of which I speak is none other than the skipper's son Matt. The kid is a flat vacum cleaner. He plays on my team now even though he has not reached HS quite yet. Hitting for an 8th grader ,that will be there but he works the glove now. The kid owns a glove and the only thing his dad carried around was a bat. I never look for Matt to do the DH routine. Sorry coach you know it is the truth. D is for defense and that wins games unless it is stolen bases.:biggrin: In my previous post I put a year on him by mistake.Sorry about that, so I guess it should be 5years instead of 4. If he doesn't play I am going to the dougout and his dad will already be there. The Tiger D can be there and I guess we will watch the pitching. If Matt earns the spot then give it to him.On second thought don't play him.

Like I said, hope your right about the infielder. Geaux Tigers
While Belfry did lose to Pikeville 4-0 on senior night it is worth mentioning Brandon Chapman (who is now graduated) started out the game and after getting a relatively slower fastball knocked around was pulled, and missed the rest of the season and had to receive Tommy John.

Other good news from Belfry is, Zack Francisco and Jared Masters both quit their other sport and have been working relentlessly at baseball all offseason. Tyler Williams, of course, now that football is over has joined in as well. Can't count the number of times I've seen these three (maybe a fourth, you'll have to forgive me if I'm forgetting someone) at the field or outside it doing something related to baseball together.
Belfry0304 Wrote:While Belfry did lose to Pikeville 4-0 on senior night it is worth mentioning Brandon Chapman (who is now graduated) started out the game and after getting a relatively slower fastball knocked around was pulled, and missed the rest of the season and had to receive Tommy John.

Other good news from Belfry is, Zack Francisco and Jared Masters both quit their other sport and have been working relentlessly at baseball all offseason. Tyler Williams, of course, now that football is over has joined in as well. Can't count the number of times I've seen these three (maybe a fourth, you'll have to forgive me if I'm forgetting someone) at the field or outside it doing something related to baseball together.

You are forgiven. There ARE more than 4 of them working out. I'd say about ... OH, 8 to 10 more of them! I look for this Pirate team to turn a few heads and make a few "non" believers, Belivers before it's over with! Smile
ttt
Good luck Pirates and the rest of the 15th. Heres to great weather and great baseball!!!
pre season it looks like my top 4. (no order) are

JC- has a good hitting lineup. meeks will be good, but lost a lot
Belfry - returns 7 of 9, cant say much until games are played
Pikeville - returns 4 of 9, which hurts, but still have a lot of pitching and upcoming talent as usual
East Ridge - have been awful the past 2 years but i think the new coach can have a good season
Panther Thunder Wrote:Just gonna throw out some basic pre-season thoughts....

1. Belfry- Returns the best offense, IMO with a couple good arms.
2. Johnson Central- Will continue to be solid, gotta get over the hump at some point.
3. Pikeville- Possibly the best 1-2 punch with Hamilton and Maynard. The biggest key will be replacing a top 10 defense, finding a #3, and manipulating the line up to be able to produce at least 5-6 runs per game. Will Miller, Maynard, and Hamilton be able to put this team on their back?
4. Paintsville- Lost Jackson and that will be huge. Can they score enough while holding teams to under 4 runs per game?
5. Prestonsburg- Well coached and return Anderson who may be the best overall player in the region, right up there with Miller of Pikeville.
6. Lawrence County- Lost almost everything, but a good program always trumps a good team. They will find a way to compete.
7. Magoffin County- Returns some good players.
8. Sheldon Clark- Well coached, lost some good players in Hayes and Lafferty.
9. Allen Central- Always seem to play better than other team in the lower half of the 15th.
10. Phelps- Mayhorn played very well over the summer. Return a couple good players.
11. Betsy Layne
12. Pike Central
13. East Ridge
14. Shelby Valley
15. South Floyd

By District

57th
1. Johnson Central
2. Paintsville
3. Lawrence County
4. Magoffin County
5. Sheldon Clark

58th
1. Prestonsburg
2. Allen Central
3. Betsy Layne
4. South Floyd

59th
1. Pikeville
2. East Ridge
3. Shelby Valley

60th
1. Belfry
2. Phelps
3. Pike Central

By Player:
1. Gavin Miller (Pikeville)
2. Grant Anderson (Prestonsburg)
3. Jacob Hamilton (Pikeville)
4. Tyler Williams (Belfry)
5. Will Meek (Johnson Central)
6. Colby Burchett (Paintsville)
7. Randy Maynard (Pikeville)
8. Ethan Daniel (Lawrence County)
9. Howie Dotson (Belfry)
10. Chase Blevins (Johnson Central)

The 15th is DOWN. There are some very good players mixed in, but there are no very good teams. The region will struggle in out of region play, IMO.

Great list. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Anxious to see how Chris Lawson tries to transform the East Ridge baseball program.
This looks good to me...lets see how this list stands up after a few games tho.
Look for Magoffin County to make some noise this year. Only lost 3 players from last years team.
^ Funny you mentioned Magoffin. I was just hearing about a couple pitchers they have with really live arms. Good luck Hornets!! Look forward to seeing them in action.
Speaking of Magoffin, I also think that they have the best short stop in the region with Nathan Howard. I keep hearing that he will have a standout year.
No offense to the Howard kid, but the best SS in the region (defense, offense, etc) is Gavin Miller. Howard ranks a VERY close second in my mind though. Almost like a 1 and 1A type situation. Really can't go wrong with either one.
^ Agreed.
^^^Big fan of both ......but....^^^^

Will Meek
Will Meeks may hit for more power, and I agree that Gavin can play as well... But if I were building a team, Howard would be my starting Short Stop... I dont think anyone is as smooth as him in the field and his bat is as good as the other 2, but he simply doesnt have the power that Will has... but he is much faster. Also, his arm is a rubber.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Just gonna throw out some basic pre-season thoughts....

1. Belfry- Returns the best offense, IMO with a couple good arms.
2. Johnson Central- Will continue to be solid, gotta get over the hump at some point.
3. Pikeville- Possibly the best 1-2 punch with Hamilton and Maynard. The biggest key will be replacing a top 10 defense, finding a #3, and manipulating the line up to be able to produce at least 5-6 runs per game. Will Miller, Maynard, and Hamilton be able to put this team on their back?
4. Paintsville- Lost Jackson and that will be huge. Can they score enough while holding teams to under 4 runs per game?
5. Prestonsburg- Well coached and return Anderson who may be the best overall player in the region, right up there with Miller of Pikeville.
6. Lawrence County- Lost almost everything, but a good program always trumps a good team. They will find a way to compete.
7. Magoffin County- Returns some good players.
8. Sheldon Clark- Well coached, lost some good players in Hayes and Lafferty.
9. Allen Central- Always seem to play better than other team in the lower half of the 15th.
10. Phelps- Mayhorn played very well over the summer. Return a couple good players.
11. Betsy Layne
12. Pike Central
13. East Ridge
14. Shelby Valley
15. South Floyd

By District

57th
1. Johnson Central
2. Paintsville
3. Lawrence County
4. Magoffin County
5. Sheldon Clark

58th
1. Prestonsburg
2. Allen Central
3. Betsy Layne
4. South Floyd

59th
1. Pikeville
2. East Ridge
3. Shelby Valley

60th
1. Belfry
2. Phelps
3. Pike Central

By Player:
1. Gavin Miller (Pikeville)
2. Grant Anderson (Prestonsburg)
3. Jacob Hamilton (Pikeville)
4. Tyler Williams (Belfry)
5. Will Meek (Johnson Central)
6. Colby Burchett (Paintsville)
7. Randy Maynard (Pikeville)
8. Ethan Daniel (Lawrence County)
9. Howie Dotson (Belfry)
10. Chase Blevins (Johnson Central)

The 15th is DOWN. There are some very good players mixed in, but there are no very good teams. The region will struggle in out of region play, IMO.
south floyd has a chance to win state this year
south floyd is hands down the best team in the state
south floyd is amazing
Just reading the old posts, not to say we got robbed because we did fail to score runs but it really was a bad hop LC scored on, the ball hit a sprinkler head and went right over Howie Dotson's head. Next half they brought in Shep and that was all she wrote.
Jc all the way!!
:Thumbs:Good job Prestonsburg !
Great win against the "number one team" in the 15th region !:Thumbs: