Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bishop Brossart 4 Pikeville 2 (KHSAA State Tournament)
First off, I thought it was a horrendous call at second. BUT, that did not lose the game.

Two pretty evenly matched teams from what I saw, but Brossart was better that day when it counted. Maynard threw a nice game and got out of some big jams. The flip side is, Brossart earned their runs. They hit the ball well in big situations and made the plays on defense and Pikeville did not. That is what it came down to.

Very proud of the season that the Panthers had, and as I told many of them after the game, it always hurts when it ends. But for Pikeville Baseball, that is where it should end. Not at home in 15th. This was icing on the cake.

Aside from almost having my head taken off with a bat, it was a great day of baseball and I loved being able to watch the Maroon and White on the biggest stage in KY High School Baseball!

It will be hard to say goodbye to the seniors, especially guys like Miller and Maynard. But they have been incredible and put the program where it needs to be and that will not be forgotten. As I do for the last game of every sport, for the seniors, one last HAIL PIKEVILLE!
Stardust Wrote:Panther Thunder, Why didn't you call me to get the scouting report on BBHS????
Sent a text Sunday, must not have gone through!
Live Maroon Wrote:Pikeville had two starting pitchers with ERAs below 2.00. Neither were named Hamilton. I have no problem with Priode pitching Maynard in first game. Winnable game. Next game would be David v Goliath and really needed Hamilton to go in that one. In all honesty, this team overachieved compared to last year's team. I don't see blaming the coach. Players make plays - or don't. I have no problem with the way this team was handled. It's an honor to get to Whitaker Bank Park.

I certainly have no reason to bash Proide on anything and I think you are right on just about all points, however it is of a simple man's thinking that the actual regional championship game was played on thursday night (thank you PHS...lol) and without Hamilton on the mound that night, I think Pikeville's season ends then. I just think there is that much of a dropoff. How many big games against formidable opponents during the regular season did a player not named Hamilton win? Am I correct in saying , not many? In my humble opinion, he is the only pitcher Pikeville has on staff that was capable of taking JC down, and still JC had countless opportunities, but obviously wasted them all. It is also my opinion that you cannot pitch around anybody when you get to Whittaker Park, regardless of how strong (or in this case weak) you perceive any opponent to be. Any opponent in the state tournament would have to be at least be given the reverance as a team such as Jc, wouldn't you think? There could not be that much information that the Pikeville staff could have acquired in such a short time on Brossert to come up with the decision to throw off against. A potential David vs. Goliath game can only occur here if you make it past your first game. Brossett, a winnable game? Perhaps, but not guaranteed, and certainly not a statement able to be made until after 20/20 was observed.
Bob Seger Wrote:If you are Pikeville you have to have the option to start Hamilton to have a chance at advancing. In all honesty and with all due respect there is such a tremendous dropoff after Hamilton. But as I said , after 126 pitches on friday, he had to have had a jello arm.

On a side note, I think that PHSForever mentioned that Burke would be eligible tuesday. I think he pitched 7 innings saturday, which would not have made him eligible till wednesday. In short Pikeville was somewhat screwed from the get go, as far as being able to come into the tournament full strength. In my opinion, Pikeville started their #3 pitcher.
Jacob Hamilton did not start because of the high pitch count Thursday. He just did not have enough in the tank to go the needed 5-6 by a starter. Like Seger said, Pikeville was in a tough place when it came to pitching. Burke could not go, Hamilton was coming off the Johnson Central game that was basically the most important game of the year in which he threw 125-6 stressful pitches. He just was not ready to get up and go again for a start. I think him coming in in relief was iffy and was only going to happen if we had a chance to win the game (which we did). So, you have Maynard, who threw the ball pretty well. He had a very good outing and pretty good stuff yesterday. And if the game was out of hand, Ward probably would have come in.

I talked to him before the game and he told me that he just did not have enough rest to be able to start. And for a 15 year old (as of yesterday) to be able to admit he didn't have it for the good of the team is big in my opinion. I understand where Commanche is coming from, because I would have loved to see Hamilton start as well. But, a break here, a break there, and Pikeville gets the win? Well, everyone looks like a genius with Hamilton going against St. X and then you get past that and Burke in the Final Four. But, it would have been luck basically, because ideally that is not what Pikeville would have done. But by the poor scheduling (By our OWN host site) we were in between a rock and a hard place from the get go.

There should be a mandatory format imposed for the 15th. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Not an excuse, Brossart was good enough to win! Congrats and Good luck to them!

And as for PHS, like I said in a previous post, this was icing on the cake, let's not get torn up over something that was really out of everyone's hands and let it ruin a great run to win a Region Title in a year where it absolutely had to happen! It's a great time to be a Pikeville Panther!
Bob Seger Wrote:I certainly have no reason to bash Proide on anything and I think you are right on just about all points, however it is of a simple man's thinking that the actual regional championship game was played on thursday night (thank you PHS...lol) and without Hamilton on the mound that night, I think Pikeville's season ends then. I just think there is that much of a dropoff. How many big games against formidable opponents during the regular season did a player not named Hamilton win? Am I correct in saying , not many? In my humble opinion, he is the only pitcher Pikeville has on staff that was capable of taking JC down, and still JC had countless opportunities, but obviously wasted them all. It is also my opinion that you cannot pitch around anybody when you get to Whittaker Park, regardless of how strong (or in this case weak) you perceive any opponent to be. Any opponent in the state tournament would have to be at least be given the reverance as a team such as Jc, wouldn't you think? There could not be that much information that the Pikeville staff could have acquired in such a short time on Brossert to come up with the decision to throw off against. A potential David vs. Goliath game can only occur here if you make it past your first game. Brossett, a winnable game? Perhaps, but not guaranteed, and certainly not a statement able to be made until after 20/20 was observed.
It should be obvious that this was not an attempt to throw off. Like you said, They did not throw off against JC. It just happened to be the situation that presented itself called for Maynard to throw. Nothing more, nothing less. If Jacob Hamilton could have started, in his opinion, he would have. But, to him and his dad, who is also the pitching coach, made a decision that was for the best for the whole team and for Jacob's arm.

EDIT: Just saw your post from the game thread, and you were dead on about the reasoning there and who's fault it was. IMO. But, I am not gonna get too bent out of shape. Too much good came from the season to end it with a bad taste!

And like, I said earlier, if someone disagrees that is fine. But I tend to agree with this decision after talking to different people. And you all know that I would not be shy if I did disagree. I was all over the batting order early in the year if you recall lol.

I think that everyone should be commended because without a total team effort, there is no game yesterday to discuss!
Panther Thunder Wrote:It should be obvious that this was not an attempt to throw off. Like you said, They did not throw off against JC. It just happened to be the situation that presented itself called for Maynard to throw. Nothing more, nothing less. If Jacob Hamilton could have started, in his opinion, he would have. But, to him and his dad, who is also the pitching coach, made a decision that was for the best for the whole team and for Jacob's arm.
EDIT: Just saw your post from the game thread, and you were dead on about the reasoning there and who's fault it was. IMO. But, I am not gonna get too bent out of shape. Too much good came from the season to end it with a bad taste!

And like, I said earlier, if someone disagrees that is fine. But I tend to agree with this decision after talking to different people. And you all know that I would not be shy if I did disagree. I was all over the batting order early in the year if you recall lol.

I think that everyone should be commended because without a total team effort, there is no game yesterday to discuss!
Very good PT. Sometimes we dont always know the whole story when we start spouting off. I couldn't imagine Hamilton having much left in the tank. The JC game had to be very taxing. Kudos to dad and son for being wise about the decision, even though he was legally eligible. It's just a real shame that whomever represented the 15th region had to come down to Lexington without the same advantage as the other 15 teams in the tournament. A real real shame. I promise you that I was pulling hard for Pikeville to represent our region well. Hurt to not have the opportunity to have the chance ourselves , but never the less, I support our own.
^^^Bob you are a class act and your baseball knowledge is second to none in these parts. Also wanted to let you know that the little freshman from JC who faced Pikeville in the regional was awesome and the only way he could look any better would be to be dressed in maroon haha...
That'll never happen...lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
haha I know lol...
jetpilot Wrote:^^^Bob you are a class act and your baseball knowledge is second to none in these parts. Also wanted to let you know that the little freshman from JC who faced Pikeville in the regional was awesome and the only way he could look any better would be to be dressed in maroon haha...

JP, coming from someone that I respect as highly as I do you, I'll take that as one of the highest compliments that I have ever received. A very humble thank you.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Sent a text Sunday, must not have gone through!
My bad, I honestly didn't get one. Not sure, but maybe I messed up the number that I gave you
Would have liked to see Pikeville win this one!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Jacob Hamilton did not start because of the high pitch count Thursday. He just did not have enough in the tank to go the needed 5-6 by a starter. Like Seger said, Pikeville was in a tough place when it came to pitching. Burke could not go, Hamilton was coming off the Johnson Central game that was basically the most important game of the year in which he threw 125-6 stressful pitches. He just was not ready to get up and go again for a start. I think him coming in in relief was iffy and was only going to happen if we had a chance to win the game (which we did). So, you have Maynard, who threw the ball pretty well. He had a very good outing and pretty good stuff yesterday. And if the game was out of hand, Ward probably would have come in.

I talked to him before the game and he told me that he just did not have enough rest to be able to start. And for a 15 year old (as of yesterday) to be able to admit he didn't have it for the good of the team is big in my opinion. I understand where Commanche is coming from, because I would have loved to see Hamilton start as well. But, a break here, a break there, and Pikeville gets the win? Well, everyone looks like a genius with Hamilton going against St. X and then you get past that and Burke in the Final Four. But, it would have been luck basically, because ideally that is not what Pikeville would have done. But by the poor scheduling (By our OWN host site) we were in between a rock and a hard place from the get go.

There should be a mandatory format imposed for the 15th. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Not an excuse, Brossart was good enough to win! Congrats and Good luck to them!

And as for PHS, like I said in a previous post, this was icing on the cake, let's not get torn up over something that was really out of everyone's hands and let it ruin a great run to win a Region Title in a year where it absolutely had to happen! It's a great time to be a Pikeville Panther!

Just to clarify, regarding the bolded above, I wasn't "torn up" over anything said on here, I was defending the decision to start Maynard. I've supported PHS for 40+ years and always will, right or wrong. If they are in the wrong on something, I don't care a bit to say it. Just thought people were getting a bit too heavy on the criticism in starting Maynard instead of Hamilton, is all.
PHSForever Wrote:Just to clarify, regarding the bolded above, I wasn't "torn up" over anything said on here, I was defending the decision to start Maynard. I've supported PHS for 40+ years and always will, right or wrong. If they are in the wrong on something, I don't care a bit to say it. Just thought people were getting a bit too heavy on the criticism in starting Maynard instead of Hamilton, is all.
Wasn't singling you out lol.

Was just talking about Pikeville HS in general, after making a statement about Brossart,
Panther Thunder Wrote:Wasn't singling you out lol.

Was just talking about Pikeville HS in general, after making a statement about Brossart,
Good deal, PT...Wasn't sure if you all were referring to me or not. All is good, I just wanted to clarify. Thanks for all the updates this year and stats, you do a phenomenal job.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Wasn't singling you out lol.

Hey PT, I noticed your captions under your cool picture of the team. Its time to update the Panthers 2012 accomplishments! :worthy: Great bunch of kids and coaches, congrats again.