Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top teams in 13th,14th,15th regions.
13th - Harlan County, Middlesboro and Sputh Laurel will be among the top of the region.

14th - Hazard will be the class of the region in my opinion.

15th - Paintsville, JC, Pikeville, Pburg and Pike Central with their possible coaching change will be among the regions best.
It will be interesting to see who comes out of the little EKY regions.
WideRight05 Wrote:It will be interesting to see who comes out of the little EKY regions.

Actually the 15th region has fared pretty well in the last few years, when it comes to the state tournament anyways.

I think in the last 7 or 8 years the 15th has produced 3 final fours and one state runner up.
cougarpride08 Wrote:One guy! Come on. We have a lot more on that staff to compensate for him. Excellent freshman group! Top 2 in the region behind Estill for sure.

But you said you lost "no one". When you actually did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Bob Seger Wrote:Actually the 15th region has fared pretty well in the last few years, when it comes to the state tournament anyways.

I think in the last 7 or 8 years the 15th has produced 3 final fours and one state runner up.

Not to shabby for us "little EKY regions".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Didn't see it until I posted it. One guy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
OffTheHook Wrote:Not to shabby for us "little EKY regions".

Bob Seger Wrote:Actually the 15th region has fared pretty well in the last few years, when it comes to the state tournament anyways.

Combined 7-7 record since '04 at Applebee's.

Not bad, not great. But, pretty competitive most years. The 15th has probably done the best out of the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th since '04. The case can be made either way for the 15th or 16th, it is very similar.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Combined 7-7 record since '04 at Applebee's.

Not bad, not great. But, pretty competitive most years. The 15th has probably done the best out of the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th since '04. The case can be made either way for the 15th or 16th, it is very similar.

But probably much better than a bunch of other areas of the state can claim. Probably when you look a little closer at it , perhaps even better overall than what the 9th can claim. Of course that is without me taking the time to research that statement. I do know however, that Johnson Central was beaten twice by the eventual state champion in their two trips to Applebees/Whitaker. Not sure about Pikeville's and Lawrence Co.'s two final four losses were to that ended their respective runs though.
I think JC will be very strong. Returning Blevins, Hill, Jimmy Preston, and Blanton. As of now they're my 15th favorite.

Paintsville still seems too young. Id like to see Burchett have a good senior year. If he had been at Pikeville or JC I think he could be getting some looks. Also, if Vanhoose throws again they can win some ball games. Wonder how the new field renovation is going?

Pikeville. Lost 4 solid starters, 2 of which were pitchers, yet they keep Jacob Hamilton and Burke to toss. As long as they add a couple more arms and fill some big shoes in the infield, they could contend once again. PHS always has a retaining defense

Belfry graduated a lot. Williams and Masters were all they had on the mound. Francisco should take the wheel of the team if he gets healthy in time. Reed Williamson will probably take balls at short incase he doesn't.

Pburg, should be damn solid! Only losing 3 starters I believe. Stapleton, Kyle Welch, and Grant Anderson will produce heavily. Simpkins always has this bunch scrappy.

All in all, should be a close fought year of baseball!
3ballstrokin Wrote:I think JC will be very strong. Returning Blevins, Hill, Jimmy Preston, and Blanton. As of now they're my 15th favorite.

Paintsville still seems too young. Id like to see Burchett have a good senior year. If he had been at Pikeville or JC I think he could be getting some looks. Also, if Vanhoose throws again they can win some ball games. Wonder how the new field renovation is going?

Pikeville. Lost 4 solid starters, 2 of which were pitchers, yet they keep Jacob Hamilton and Burke to toss. As long as they add a couple more arms and fill some big shoes in the infield, they could contend once again. PHS always has a retaining defense

Belfry graduated a lot. Williams and Masters were all they had on the mound. Francisco should take the wheel of the team if he gets healthy in time. Reed Williamson will probably take balls at short incase he doesn't.

Pburg, should be damn solid! Only losing 3 starters I believe. Stapleton, Kyle Welch, and Grant Anderson will produce heavily. Simpkins always has this bunch scrappy.

All in all, should be a close fought year of baseball!

That should make them even more scary!

LMAO....Yep those are the only schools that get looks...LMAO.

Which VanHoose? The one that graduated this year and quit 4 straight years on his team?

Field prolly won't be started on till after this season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:That should make them even more scary!

LMAO....Yep those are the only schools that get looks...LMAO.

Which VanHoose? The one that graduated this year and quit 4 straight years on his team?

Field prolly won't be started on till after this season.

Was he a senior? The one that threw lefty I think and played outfield this year
Pup definitely has a ton of knowledge for the game having played college ball and all. Should be a fun season of baseball in the 57th!!!
3ballstrokin Wrote:Was he a senior? The one that threw lefty I think and played outfield this year

That one is Al Vanhoose. He is a Senior this season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
IMO there's a lot of parity within each mountain region. Here's some post season stats over the past 13 years.

Since 2000 (13 seasons) there have been (24) different teams that have won regional championships from the four regions. Boyd Couny from the 16th region has (6), Pikeville (4) from the 15th, Hazard (3) from the 14th, and Rockcastle Co. who has been in the 12th region since '06 had (4) while a member of the 13th.
*Lawrence County (4)...(3) 15th, (1) 16th.
Other Multiple winners: Johnson Cent.(2), Paintsville(2), Lee Co.(2), Perry Cent.(2), Powell Co.(2), Letcher Cent.(2), Estill Co.(2), South Laurel (3), Clay Co. (2), Greenup Co. (3), Ashland (2).

(5) different teams have won the 16th, (6) have won the 15th and 14th, and (7) nearly half the field, have won the 13th region since 2000.

(31) different teams have made it to the regional finals over the past 13 seasons. (8) different teams have reached the finals in the 16th, 14th, and 13th regions, (7) in the 15th.
Boyd County (9)x, Paintsville (7)x, Powell County (6)x, and Middlesboro (6)x leads each region.
*Lawrence County (7)x...(4) 15th, (3) 16th
Hazard will be good again but I'm not sure how good now that Austin Johnson will be injured for most if not all of the season. He was the motor of that team.
^ What happened to him?
I'm clueless about the 13th region in baseball. I know Harlan County had some talent last year. (I'm a 15th region guy) In the 14th I think Hazard could be the favorite the next 4 years. However, Letcher Cent. should be able to compete. In the 15th I think JC will be a tough out in 2013. They are the favorite. Pikeville will be Pikeville. In a 3 game format like the regional tournament they will be a hard out. Good pitching and good athletes like always. Prestonsburg will have one really good arm. The way they manufacture runs will make them a tough out. Some teams that might surprise in the 15th region in 2013 may include Magoffin Co (2 good arms), Paintsville(lots of good young athletes), Allen Central(good group of young players), Pike Central(good young talent and now have Lawson). Anyway, I sure you guys will rip me apart. My observation from an outsider looking in. Thanks.
SK....I've been told its either a torn Achilles or a knee ligament (not sure which one) either requires a long recovery
Joneslab Wrote:I'm clueless about the 13th region in baseball. I know Harlan County had some talent last year. (I'm a 15th region guy) In the 14th I think Hazard could be the favorite the next 4 years. However, Letcher Cent. should be able to compete. In the 15th I think JC will be a tough out in 2013. They are the favorite. Pikeville will be Pikeville. In a 3 game format like the regional tournament they will be a hard out. Good pitching and good athletes like always. Prestonsburg will have one really good arm. The way they manufacture runs will make them a tough out. Some teams that might surprise in the 15th region in 2013 may include Magoffin Co (2 good arms), Paintsville(lots of good young athletes), Allen Central(good group of young players), Pike Central(good young talent and now have Lawson). Anyway, I sure you guys will rip me apart. My observation from an outsider looking in. Thanks.

Very good post, though I wouldn't call Paintsville a surprise after being in the regional championship game last year and returning the bulk of that team. Magoffin with the pitching they have probably not a surprise. No one on this site will rip you for your honest opinion, it's only when people get on here and have a beef to pick with someone and throw out verbal assaults that the ripping begins. Prestonsburg will be another solid team. Any teams doing much in the fall and winter?? Good honest discussion is always appreciated.
the Johnson kid from hazard shouldn't miss much of baseball season. from what i've heard he might miss the first few weeks but should be fine for the majority of the season. i know the kid and he has already been sitting on a bucket and throwing. so when he does come back i know he'll have himself game ready. from the way he's been talking, he plans on taking his frustration of missing the rest of football out on the rest of the region in baseball. should be fun to watch!!
Micro-Brew Wrote:Very good post, though I wouldn't call Paintsville a surprise after being in the regional championship game last year and returning the bulk of that team. Magoffin with the pitching they have probably not a surprise. No one on this site will rip you for your honest opinion, it's only when people get on here and have a beef to pick with someone and throw out verbal assaults that the ripping begins. Prestonsburg will be another solid team. Any teams doing much in the fall and winter?? Good honest discussion is always appreciated.

I was under the impression that the seniors Paintsville lost were key contributors to last season's run. Team will be very young this year but will will have talent. That's why I said they may surprise and make another run.
Makeitnasty Wrote:the Johnson kid from hazard shouldn't miss much of baseball season. from what i've heard he might miss the first few weeks but should be fine for the majority of the season. i know the kid and he has already been sitting on a bucket and throwing. so when he does come back i know he'll have himself game ready. from the way he's been talking, he plans on taking his frustration of missing the rest of football out on the rest of the region in baseball. should be fun to watch!!

You seem to be better informed than I am..what injury did he actually sustain because I don't know for sure.
Joneslab Wrote:I was under the impression that the seniors Paintsville lost were key contributors to last season's run. Team will be very young this year but will will have talent. That's why I said they may surprise and make another run.

Paintsville only had two Seniors that contributed. Sublett & Stewart.

They already have kids to step right into their spots.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
he tore his achilles tendon. he had surgery last week
Letcher Central returns a lot of talent with region tournament experience. Jordon Short who was MVP of the Regional Tournament as a freshman will be leader of the rotation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Talked with a parent last night who has a son that plays at Allen Central and they have picked up what should be a solid transfer. Eligibility should not be a problem from what I understand. Preston Thacker who was the starting catcher for Betsy Layne last year has enrolled at Allen Central. If my memory serves me correctly he is a big strong kid with a decent stick. Should provide some depth to a team that may surprise many in the 15th. As always, just the opinion of an outsider looking in.
Letcher lost Dollarhide at Center field and Ethan Mason behind the plate. 2 good players! I think the Cougars will be fine though. They have to be in the top of the 14th.
I guess Coach dean will have them ready.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:I guess Coach dean will have them ready.

Come tournament time he always does.
He really is dedicated to them kids. Even so much that he treats the field himself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!