Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top teams in 13th,14th,15th regions.
South Laurel, and Harlan County will be the top dogs this year until someone proves otherwise. I find it astonishing that Clay County isn't mentioned more. They only lost 3 seniors last year and return an experienced squad. The bats of the duo Tanner Hensley and Cory Corum will be missed this upcoming year but defensively they have kids with speed to replace Corum in Centerfield and Hensley at Third. Also Tanner Hoskins, and Tyler Allen should replace Justin Smith on the mound because of their gain of experience last year with Smith being out due to Injury. In my personal opinion I think Hoskins has the potential to be one of the best in the Region this year.
Longball11 Wrote:South Laurel, and Harlan County will be the top dogs this year until someone proves otherwise. I find it astonishing that Clay County isn't mentioned more. They only lost 3 seniors last year and return an experienced squad. The bats of the duo Tanner Hensley and Cory Corum will be missed this upcoming year but defensively they have kids with speed to replace Corum in Centerfield and Hensley at Third. Also Tanner Hoskins, and Tyler Allen should replace Justin Smith on the mound because of their gain of experience last year with Smith being out due to Injury. In my personal opinion I think Hoskins has the potential to be one of the best in the Region this year.

HC hasn't done anything to prove they are a top dog. District 2nd seed and eventual district runner up.

Eliminated 1st round of region.

I know many people disagree on how good they think Middlesboro will be but if anyone deserves to arbitrarily be the preseason top "top dogs" it is South Laurel and Middlesboro.

Middlesboro was district champ and regional runner up.

They and South Laurel are the real top dogs until proven otherwise. The other teams still have something to prove.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:HC hasn't done anything to prove they are a top dog. District 2nd seed and eventual district runner up.

I know many people disagree on how good they think Middlesboro will be but if anyone deserves to arbitrarily be the preseason top "top dogs" it is South Laurel and Middlesboro.

They and South Laurel are the real top dogs until proven otherwise. The other teams still have something to prove.

It's not arbitrary. It's an opinion based on what teams have returning.
They have this event every May at schools that can have a very big impact on the following season. It's called graduation.
I agree South Laurel should be No. 1. I'm not sure if Clay or Harlan County or North or Middlesboro or Knox Central should be second, but how they finished last year doesn't really have an impact on 2013. Do you get any runs for that to start the game?
Whitley lost in the first round of the girls regional tourney last March and was ranked second coming into the season. Harlan County lost in the first round of the boys regional and was ranked first coming into the season.
HDE Wrote:It's not arbitrary. It's an opinion based on what teams have returning.
They have this event every May at schools that can have a very big impact on the following season. It's called graduation.
I agree South Laurel should be No. 1. I'm not sure if Clay or Harlan County or North or Middlesboro or Knox Central should be second, but how they finished last year doesn't really have an impact on 2013. Do you get any runs for that to start the game?
Whitley lost in the first round of the girls regional tourney last March and was ranked second coming into the season. Harlan County lost in the first round of the boys regional and was ranked first coming into the season.

The statement was made that South Laurel and Harlan County will be the top dogs this year until proven otherwise. I question why Harlan County would be considered a top dog? Even if they return several players, what did the players that they have coming back accomplish last year that would warrant them top dog material?

I mean, if they won their district and got upset first round of region, I would understand. But...they didn't win their district and they didn't make it out of the first round of the regional tournament.

Additionally, HC didn't go unscathed at graduation. They lost Fields. Their starting SS and leader. If I had my choice of players from last year's HC team, it would have been him. He will not be easy to replace by any means.
Harlan County was about 10 feet short of winning the district on Tyler Boggs' blast in the last inning. You sound as if it was 10-0.
Middlesboro lost to the same team that Harlan County did in the regional.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:HC hasn't done anything to prove they are a top dog. District 2nd seed and eventual district runner up.

I guess that means you picked Harlan County to finish higher last season since Harlan County won the district the previous year, since Middlesboro had "something to prove" after all.
Wonder what an impact Coach Combs will make at Wolfe. And will he bring any players with him?
You haven't answered my question. Do your rules change depending on what team you're discussing?
HDE Wrote:You haven't answered my question. Do your rules change depending on what team you're discussing?

My rules?

If you're asking whether I thought HC was the early favorite because they had won the district championship in 2011, of course. Did Middlesboro need to beat HC to become the front runner, sure, and they did.

I didn't pick HC to finish higher. I simply thought Middlesboro needed to beat HC to prove that they were the better team.
I'm asking whether you used the same logic last year when it wasn't convenient.
I don't think you did.

You picked Middlesboro to win this year because it's Middlesboro, not because they are the defending district champs.

You picked Middlesboro last year when Harlan County was the defending district champs, which means what you said a few posts ago is just BS.
When speaking of 13th region teams, i believe South Laurel in 06 and Corbin in 05 were the only two team to make it out of the old semi state format, but never won a state tourney game.
I dont believe a 13th region team has won a game in the actual state tourney since Mboro won a couple of game back in 02.
xsdafdasa
HDE Wrote:I'm asking whether you used the same logic last year when it wasn't convenient.
I don't think you did.

You picked Middlesboro to win this year because it's Middlesboro, not because they are the defending district champs.

You picked Middlesboro last year when Harlan County was the defending district champs, which means what you said a few posts ago is just BS.

If you remember correctly, the year Harlan County won the district title, they were swept in regular season series by Middlesboro. With that in mind, if you look at previous posts made after that championship game, I felt strongly that Middlesboro was in fact, the better team (having won 2 of 3) but simply didn't get the W on that day. So last year, even though I picked Middlesboro to win the district, it doesn't change anything about having to get a win to reclaim their rightful spot at the top of the district.

They had to get a W against HC to have those bragging rights. I felt all along they would win the district. But to have the bragging rights, they needed a W.

I understand you write in the HDE and feel strongly about Harlan sports. Apparently, you're drinking the cool-aid. Unfortunately, Harlan County isn't Cumberland High School. They don't have a long history of great baseball. Back it down a notch and let them prove something.
Aside from all the talk about Middlesboro and Harlan County, I think that South Laurel is far and away the top returning team in the 13th. It will take a flawless performance to knock them off I believe. Wynn Harris is one of the most underrated coaches in the state.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:If you remember correctly, the year Harlan County won the district title, they were swept in regular season series by Middlesboro. With that in mind, if you look at previous posts made after that championship game, I felt strongly that Middlesboro was in fact, the better team (having won 2 of 3) but simply didn't get the W on that day. So last year, even though I picked Middlesboro to win the district, it doesn't change anything about having to get a win to reclaim their rightful spot at the top of the district.

I don't remember it like you.
The way I remember it Middlesboro won 6-4 at Middlesboro, Harlan County won 3-1 at Cawood and Harlan County won 3-1 in the district finals at Bell County as Boggs pitched a five-hitter with nine strikeouts and two walks.
You also said earlier that Middlesboro beat Boggs last year. That didn't happen either.

HCHS was 21-12 and 12-5 in the region.
Middlesboro was 13-19 and 11-12 in the region.

No Kool Aid. Just facts.
I have all the respect in the world for Bill Powell and the Middlesboro baseball program. I've covered them for almost 30 years, during those great battles with Cumberland of the 1980s. I'm pretty sure Bill has no problems with the way I covered his teams.
I stand corrected. I do remember that 3-1 loss at Cawood. That is when they put a rookie umpire on a heated district game and he tossed Coach Powell when he came out of the dugout on a terrible call.

It was also that season that I was thinking of when I said Middlesboro beat Boggs. They knocked him up for 5 earned runs in 6 innings, including 2 home runs. Has HC beaten Crawford?

To use records as the only argument that one team is better than another is simply inadequate. I mean look at those schedules, their difficulties aren't even in the same ball park. I'm not saying Middlesboro lit the world on fire but HC didn't have more than 1 or 2 quality wins.

I'm sure you're coverage has been sound. I've never questioned that. And Coach Powell doesn't have problems with anyone so you need not worry about him.

I'm just saying that pegging HC as a top dog in the 13th to START the season, when they didn't win their district or advance at all in the regional tournament, is a bit of a homer move. Luckily, you're entitled to your opinion.

IMO, however, the district champion and regional runner-up Middlesboro will be with South Laurel as the top dogs in the 13th to START the season.
I picked South Laurel to win the region.
I just said Middlesboro was hit hard by graduation and won't be ranked second to start the year. I'm not sure who should be second.
You must be getting me confused with someone else, but I'll stand corrected if you can find any place I said Harlan County should be ranked No. 1. In fact, I don't get the "back it down a notch" line at all. Find one comment that is over the top or untrue.
Pay no mind to him HDE. His ignorance is shown on here daily. We all know Middlesboro sucks.
I think the 13th region will be very competitive this season..can't wait till it gets here!
What teams will be considered potential "Dark Horses"?
Hitters_Count Wrote:What teams will be considered potential "Dark Horses"?

I think Sheldon Clark could be a dark horse in the 15th, they have a young but talented team and could make some noise this season but is poised to make a run in the upcoming seasons.
I have to agree with you on this one. also Lcc picked up the Rose kid from Jenkins.

13th region Dark Horse. First and for most Middlesboro....unproven with capabilities. Bell County, a lot returning with experience , but still young. Whitley Co. Knox Central.

Top Teams ..
South Laurel
Harlan Co.
Clay Co.
Corbin
North Laurel

Good parity in the 13th.

15th Region: Dark Horses

Pike Central (Yount Talent/Good Coach)
Allen Central(Deep Pool of Good Young Players)
Magoffin County(Two Good Arms/Still an Underdog/Unproven Upperclassmen)
Sheldon Clark (Potential/Coach Hall Gets Results)

Outside that the region should play out as normal. JC as the favortite. Pikeville a close second. Prestonsburg could cause problems and so could Paintsville. LC may still be on outside looking in because they cant score runs.

However, my observations are very limited. Based on a handful of regular season games and some post season play from last year. Good Luck to all. As always just the opinion of an outsider looking in.
jackson18 Wrote:Wonder what an impact Coach Combs will make at Wolfe. And will he bring any players with him?
None. If he can just keep the momentum that Coach Creech built up in the last 3 years, he will be doing great.
I have already talk withCoach Dean, and he is so excited. Can't wait till Feb to get this team started.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Joneslab Wrote:15th Region: Dark Horses

Pike Central (Yount Talent/Good Coach)
Allen Central(Deep Pool of Good Young Players)
Magoffin County(Two Good Arms/Still an Underdog/Unproven Upperclassmen)
Sheldon Clark (Potential/Coach Hall Gets Results)

Outside that the region should play out as normal. JC as the favortite. Pikeville a close second. Prestonsburg could cause problems and so could Paintsville. LC may still be on outside looking in because they cant score runs.

However, my observations are very limited. Based on a handful of regular season games and some post season play from last year. Good Luck to all. As always just the opinion of an outsider looking in.

You all keep drinking that Kool-Aid. Mike Hall gets results? :hilarious: His team was pathetic last year. He will not be better this year. His season literally begins February 15th. He does nothing to improve his players in the off-season. Now, how does he "get results"?

And LC "can't score runs". A team that started 2 seniors last year, and only 1 other guy being a regular starter before last year. They return everyone, have a great freshman/sophomore class, and I was told they have a bit of a surprise for the other teams in the form of a transfer. I haven't seen him, but I hear he is a pitcher, about 6'5", and throws very well. :Thumbs: Plus, I know for a fact that they work out in the weight room 5 days a week, and in the cages/bullpen. Over 20 high school kids show up daily. But, again, they are on the "outside looking in" aren't they? Confusednicker:
lchsalumnus Wrote:You all keep drinking that Kool-Aid. Mike Hall gets results? :hilarious: His team was pathetic last year. He will not be better this year. His season literally begins February 15th. He does nothing to improve his players in the off-season. Now, how does he "get results"?

And LC "can't score runs". A team that started 2 seniors last year, and only 1 other guy being a regular starter before last year. They return everyone, have a great freshman/sophomore class, and I was told they have a bit of a surprise for the other teams in the form of a transfer. I haven't seen him, but I hear he is a pitcher, about 6'5", and throws very well. :Thumbs: Plus, I know for a fact that they work out in the weight room 5 days a week, and in the cages/bullpen. Over 20 high school kids show up daily. But, again, they are on the "outside looking in" aren't they? Confusednicker:

Dang Man! You sound really Butt hurt! Chill out! LC couldn't score runs last year! Thats a fact jack bump. I'm not a SCHS supporter or alumni. However, I think Coach Hall does a good job! Congrats to LC on such an awesome preseason workout regiment. With 20 kids out everyday they should be able to find someone who can hit and support their pitchers with some runs. IMO LC is not one of the preseason top 4 or 5. Sorry that hurts your feelings. I hope my post can provide some dugout fodder and motivate them to a state title! SMH!
Joneslab Wrote:Dang Man! You sound really Butt hurt! Chill out! LC couldn't score runs last year! Thats a fact jack bump. I'm not a SCHS supporter or alumni. However, I think Coach Hall does a good job! Congrats to LC on such an awesome preseason workout regiment. With 20 kids out everyday they should be able to find someone who can hit and support their pitchers with some runs. IMO LC is not one of the preseason top 4 or 5. Sorry that hurts your feelings. I hope my post can provide some dugout fodder and motivate them to a state title! SMH!

Perhaps the BBCOR bats had something to do with that? Scoring was down by everyone last year. Sorry that I just don't understand everyone's lovefest with Mike Hall. I've seen his song and dance. He just likes to put on a show. Yells and curses from the dugout, blames everyone else but himself. Fact is that he doesn't work those players in the off-season yet expects them to be better the next season.
lchsalumnus Wrote:Perhaps the BBCOR bats had something to do with that? Scoring was down by everyone last year. Sorry that I just don't understand everyone's lovefest with Mike Hall. I've seen his song and dance. He just likes to put on a show. Yells and curses from the dugout, blames everyone else but himself. Fact is that he doesn't work those players in the off-season yet expects them to be better the next season.
Coach Hall has forgot more about baseball then youll ever know man. Schs had no pitcher last year that had thrown in any varsity game. he does get results in 09 an 10 schs was an error away from kncking LCHS out of the first round of districts with inferior teams its obvious your just a homer and if we dont think LC is amazing your gonna be butt hurt. Over look them this season and a few season to come and your gonna be going home with your tail between your legs. its obvious you dont keep tabs on your middle school program or you would know that Martin county middle has been as good f not better than lCMS for the past couple seasons.