Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handouts
Granny Bear Wrote:I absolutely do. The problem, as in so many other aid programs, is drawing the line between "need" and "exploitation".

There was a time early in my married life, when we qualified for government aid. My husband was adamant in his decision about that. Soooo, he got a second job. I was already working 2. We got through that time, and learned a lot of life lessons from it. It just seems to me, and I know this is a little vague, that work ethic, character, etc has been replaced by greed and immediate self gratification. Rather than doing without, making your ends meet, etc. folks want to get everything they can...with no responsibilities.

I think helping the poor with food and medical care is actually part of what America is all about, but when that's turned into a frenzy to see who can get what, the programs are exploited until they are no longer recognizeable.

I know how hard we have worked to make a decent life. I am offended by people who are too lazy to cash their government check.
:Thumbs:

That's right Granny. I want to help those you cant help themselves, but it burns me up to have to help those who refuse to help themselves.
Bob Seger Wrote::Thumbs:

That's right Granny. I want to help those you cant help themselves, but it burns me up to have to help those who refuse to help themselves.

What burns me up, is being forced to pay for the lives of people who by choice have decided they are not going to work. But, it doesn't stop there. I have to subsidize the depraved lifestyles of these folks as well. Most of them don't bother to get married, they just go from relationship to relationship, cranking out them little ones in the process. We pay for the lives of these folks from the cradle-to-grave. (not to mention the pre-natal care the mother's recieve prior to the actual births) This segment of the US populace is growing at an alarming rate. If government continues to deny that personal responsibility is relevant, I can foresee, a major problem on the horizon. At some point, those who work will have to say enough is enough. And the best and only way to do that? At the polling places of this land!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:What burns me up, is being forced to pay for the lives of people who by choice have decided they are not going to work. But, it doesn't stop there. I have to subsidize the depraved lifestyles of these folks as well. Most of them don't bother to get married, they just go from relationship to relationship, cranking out them little ones in the process. We pay for the lives of these folks from the cradle-to-grave. (not to mention the pre-natal care the mother's recieve prior to the actual births) This segment of the US populace is growing at an alarming rate. If government continues to deny that personal responsibility is relevant, I can foresee, a major problem on the horizon. At some point, those who work will have to say enough is enough. And the best and only way to do that? At the polling places of this land!

You also have to subsidize the military forces around the world...do you want to get rid of that as well?
I agree with what you all say, those that should work need to and so on...however, the changes that have to be made are at the local level... at your local SSI office and at your state level... that is where the checks get handed out, people apply and so on... not at the federal level. Ask your local S.S. worker about a program we used to have in the state called the Deter program than get back to me on this issue.
Granny Bear Wrote:I absolutely do. The problem, as in so many other aid programs, is drawing the line between "need" and "exploitation".

There was a time early in my married life, when we qualified for government aid. My husband was adamant in his decision about that. Soooo, he got a second job. I was already working 2. We got through that time, and learned a lot of life lessons from it. It just seems to me, and I know this is a little vague, that work ethic, character, etc has been replaced by greed and immediate self gratification. Rather than doing without, making your ends meet, etc. folks want to get everything they can...with no responsibilities.

I think helping the poor with food and medical care is actually part of what America is all about, but when that's turned into a frenzy to see who can get what, the programs are exploited until they are no longer recognizeable.

I know how hard we have worked to make a decent life. I am offended by people who are too lazy to cash their government check.

I agree that we agree with all that you have said, now I guess the real difference is who should pay for this program for those that can not help themselves?
Who should pay is obvious.
The real question is how does one distinguish a true "need" from a parasite of society?
tvtimeout Wrote:I agree with what you all say, those that should work need to and so on...however, the changes that have to be made are at the local level... at your local SSI office and at your state level... that is where the checks get handed out, people apply and so on... not at the federal level. Ask your local S.S. worker about a program we used to have in the state called the Deter program than get back to me on this issue.

LOL, you got to be kidding, get back to YOU? The feds are the ones that are up front playing the flute, all the state rats just follow behind.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
some people need a little bit of help in this world..sorry we all can't (to use a phrase from ol' mitty baby) borrow money from our parents and go to college.
^little help is one thing a lifestyle is another