Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark 7 Paintsville 5 (15th Region Championship)
The Blue Blur Wrote:Yeah it is very smart, say they over throw his arm. Grimm starts having elbow or shoulder troubles like J.D. Vanhoose did a few years back. J.D. is just now getting back into the pitching rotation. Grimm will be the ace for the Tigers for two more years.

I see what your saying...but there wasn't much of a game left and with him being their top pitcher...why take him out? I said it once and I will say it again....It cost them the game.
Well well well,I was wrong bout this, I tho Paintsville would of took S.C out but I was Wrong...GREAT JOB SHELDON CLARK and kick some butt at state
ggh04 Wrote:I see what your saying...but there wasn't much of a game left and with him being their top pitcher...why take him out? I said it once and I will say it again....It cost them the game.

It may have cost them a game. With Pugh on the mound who has closed the door on numerous games all year and 5-2 lead who would have thought he would have walked 4 batters. Like myself, and corndog have both said the radio announcer said during the first 4 batters he faced there was some pitches that could have went either way. The ball literally bounced SC's way and they took advantage of it. Would you want to cost a kid/the team a future and maybe even a college scholarship due to being greedy? The error was costly as was the 4 walked batters but you can't blame anyone person or the staff for the loss. SC won on senior leadership and their never say die attitude. They had the roughest road in both the district and regional tournament. They deserved the win and will represent the 15th well.
Congrats Sheldon Clark.
The Blue Blur Wrote:It may have cost them a game. With Pugh on the mound who has closed the door on numerous games all year and 5-2 lead who would have thought he would have walked 4 batters. Like myself, and corndog have both said the radio announcer said during the first 4 batters he faced there was some pitches that could have went either way. The ball literally bounced SC's way and they took advantage of it. Would you want to cost a kid/the team a future and maybe even a college scholarship due to being greedy? The error was costly as was the 4 walked batters but you can't blame anyone person or the staff for the loss. SC won on senior leadership and their never say die attitude. They had the roughest road in both the district and regional tournament. They deserved the win and will represent the 15th well.
:thumpsup:

Its just one of those tough luck losses...Paintsville will be GOOD next year..this was SC's year though. It was either this year, or no year for a while. they will lose a lot next year, but they are still playin this year.
I wouldn't risk the game by taking Grimm out, who seemed to be doing well holding SC to only 2 runs. Congrats SC, represent the 15th well.
Congrats to SC, and best of luck down in Region 16 next week. Tough loss for the Tigers, it was meant to be for the Cards. I honestly think if any team deserved it, it was them. They beat Paintsville twice during the regular season, one run from knotting it up at the District Championship, and look at who all they beat out in the first two rounds, Pikeville(heavily favored), Allen Central, and to face Paintsville, all in 3 nights. Hats off to them and the coaching staff!!! Keep your head up PVille, you all will be back for several more years to come.
I still wouldnt have risked the game by taking him out....
ggh04 Wrote:I still wouldnt have risked the game by taking him out....
But you would risk the next two years? I would say that the coaches know how far their players can go and when not to push them. And like mentioned before, Pugh had closed out a lot of games so there was no reason to think that he couldn't do it this time.

But in any light, CONGRATS to the SC players!!
When this game went into the top of the 7th with SC down by 5, I turned the radio off thinking it was over. But knowing SC was playing, I should've known better. These boys deserve it, and so does Mike Hall. They have playd one of the toughest post-season schedules of anyone I can think of, and they never gave up. Playing AC in 10 innings for 4 1/2 hours last night and coming back tonight to score 5 runs in the top of the 7th and hold off Paintsville...these guys have HEART! It couldn't have happened to a more classy bunch of kids. Congratulations, guys. You earned it! Good luck next week during sectionals!!!!!
Beef Wrote:But you would risk the next two years? I would say that the coaches know how far their players can go and when not to push them. And like mentioned before, Pugh had closed out a lot of games so there was no reason to think that he couldn't do it this time.

But in any light, CONGRATS to the SC players!!

That's just next two years for the team, not to mention Shane's future. I'm glad a couple of guys on here understand where Paintsville's staff was coming from. Although when it first happen, I was a little irritated by the decision. After I got calmed down and started thinking, I realized why they did it. I can remember earlier in the game when Harless faced Grimm, he battled him for about 9 pitches that's a lot to throw to just one batter. That's full count plus the fouled off balls that Harless was fighting off. Many times tonight the count went full against the SC batters.
Paintsville should have mercied SC. Not taking anything away from the freshman SC pitched but Paintsville should have unloaded on him. He was throwing MEAT all night long and Paintsville just kept on getting under it, popping the ball up in the air all night. They definately didn't hit the ball like they have been the last couple weeks. As for the pitching change, IDK why coach did it and don't really care, if Pugh would have struck out the side everyone would be saying coach made a good move. Like said earlier in the thread, Pugh has came in multiple times this season and did a hell of a job every time, he just had a rough time. And yes there were quite a few of the balls he threw that should have been strikes, at least where I was standing it looked like it. Paintsville's 3rd baseman should have caught that ground ball, and NO it wasn't hit very hard at all, it should have been caught and the 3rd out should have been made then keeping the game tied, BUT I am NOT blaming him for the loss either. It's a TEAM game and the TEAM didn't hit the ball worth a shit tonight and it cost them, simple as that.

Congrats SC, I'm glad I got to see B May finally win a region championship, that kid most definately deserved it.
Well, you would have to know for sure why they took Grimm out to really state an opinion. But from appearances I can see where you guys are coming from. But with Pugh having done okay in other games and with a 5-2 lead, it probably didn't seem so risky at the time. Hindsight is 20/20!!

Bottom line is that both teams had their chances and SC did what they had to do to get the win (even if some on here don't feel they were the best team). SC won and they are going to state!! I wish them luck, but we can be sure that they will give it 110%!!
Good ballgame to watch SC never gave up. As for Paintsville Grimm's arm seemed fine in the later innings, I'm sure his pitch count was in the 90's but he's thrown more than that before. Pugh did the best he could, there were some questionable calls but that happens. Congrats SC on the win. PHS you have nothing to hang your heads over, you've had a great run good luck next season.
They're not going to state just yet, they still to win 2 out 3 in the sectional at Boyd County.
When was the last time, Paintsville won regionals? I know they've been runners-up for 3 years now. No Paintsville didn't hit the ball well, but they hit it well enough to win. After talking to a few people, I'm upset once again. Grimm's pitch count was at 96 and his arm wasn't hurting plus he didn't want to come out of the game. With him still being in the game, he could re-enter to pitch. They discussed it after every batter when there was a hit or a walk. After the game, the coach did take the blame for the loss. Oh well, a game loss, a lesson learned. I hope this young coaching staff can learn from their mistakes and be ready to contend next year.
The Blue Blur Wrote:When was the last time, Paintsville won regionals? I know they've been runners-up for 3 years now. No Paintsville didn't hit the ball well, but they hit it well enough to win. After talking to a few people, I'm upset once again. Grimm's pitch count was at 96 and his arm wasn't hurting plus he didn't want to come out of the game. With him still being in the game, he could re-enter to pitch. They discussed it after every batter when there was a hit or a walk. After the game, the coach did take the blame for the loss. Oh well, a game loss, a lesson learned. I hope this young coaching staff can learn from their mistakes and be ready to contend next year.
:thumpsup:
Who are they gonna be matched up against next week???
Boyd County, they beat Raceland tonight on a hit in the 7th inning.
the coaching staff at paintsville have made this same move time after time this season , which has cost way to many loses..... ie.... you have your #1 pitcher pitching in a game which is set up for you to win..... then when you have the game 3 outs from a regional tourny victory... you change pitchers for no reason except the inability to make any correct coaching decesion ..... YES the coaches lost this game and this only comes to the attention of anybody because it was a regional championship game!!!! these guys have done this all season...they have no business coaching anywhere.... and it's time someone has the balls to say it!!!!!!
after reading the pc you know 98 thread...I have another response....
I agree that paintsville should have teeeed off on the sheldon clark pitching tonight .... and the play should have been made at third ....However I have seen these kids play their hearts out this season only to have very very poor coaching decesions take game after game away from them....... if you know anything about baseball what so ever you would have to agree that at least in this situtation with your #1 pitcher ...who has only given up 2 runs in the game and only allowed a very few baserunners and whom is begging the coaches to stay in the game along with other players begging the coaches to keep him in the game that the worst you could do is give him the chance to fail before removing him from the game .... then you can say you gave it your best shot!!!! the performance from the coaching staff has been a discrace this season... this is a very talented team hell their # 9 hitter is batting 400 this season , any decent little league coach or average parent ..no the players themselves could have done a better job of coaching than that!!!! congrats to mike hall and the sheldon clark cardinals ..... you took advantage of lessor coaching a pulled of a victory. painfully reminding me of a district game at the end of the season when paintsvilles sorry coaching pulled a pitcher in the 5th inning with the game tied 6-6 to bring in a pitcher who had pitched in 4 total innings all season and had a 17.8 era at the time...... if you need more examples of this I will be happy to detail them out for you..... bottom line nobody cares what happened in 1991 for this coaching staff when they played..... this is about the injustice that these guys have perputrated on these kids this season...and if their one year contract is extended after this type of a season then a true injustice has been done....
hard fact shane grimm had a pitch count in the 90's when he was removed...and he was not tired ...his arm was not sore...and he wanted to continue to pitch... I have talked to all players involved.... so don't speculate about the facts....
another comment , who ever the blue blur is ...you need to get your facts straight ... about the injury to jd vanhoose arm the kid did not pitch any more or any less than any other pitcher on that staff.... it was unfortunate that his injury occured ,,sometimes there is a very fine line you walk as a coach and your pitching staff..... you would not intentionally try to as a coach hurt any kid in any situtation but tonight was not that situtation it was plain and simply very very poor coaching and like I said before if it was the only time that the coachinf staff did this that would b one thing but it is most definately not!!!!! they tried their best to give the game away to east ridge the night before....lucky draws got them to where they were because they damn sure did not have the coaching to get them through any tournament
shelf222 Wrote:another comment , who ever the blue blur is ...you need to get your facts straight ... about the injury to jd vanhoose arm the kid did not pitch any more or any less than any other pitcher on that staff.... it was unfortunate that his injury occured ,,sometimes there is a very fine line you walk as a coach and your pitching staff..... you would not intentionally try to as a coach hurt any kid in any situtation but tonight was not that situtation it was plain and simply very very poor coaching and like I said before if it was the only time that the coachinf staff did this that would b one thing but it is most definately not!!!!! they tried their best to give the game away to east ridge the night before....lucky draws got them to where they were because they damn sure did not have the coaching to get them through any tournament

You're talking to yourself now.....I did get my facts straight. Maybe you should read all post before commenting. I know of JD's injury, and I know it was because he was over pitched you can ask him yourself. To say these guys shouldn't be coaching anywhere, that's pretty bold. Although the decision made tonight, along with last night's and a few other games this season were in the wrong. I hope they take tonight's loss as a lesson learned. Tuck took the blame for the loss tonight, he knows he was in the wrong. They my have been lucky to be where they were at, but they were there with a young team that only loses 2 players. I know the time is now and it was the Tigers region to lose. Have a good night, it's over. It's football season. Don't stress too much over the loss, why you ask? Because it does you no good now. You can say with balls all you want, will that make it change? Probably not I don't see Tucker and his staff not returning next year. All it's going to do is make yourself look bad, and possibly put your child in a position to be a black sheep.
Dont know why everyone was so surprised with the outcome of the game. Sheldon Clark is the better team. Sheldon Clark beat Paintsville 3 times. Paintsville won 1 game. Sheldon Clark is the best team in the region. Congrads to the Cards. GOOD LUCK.
blue blur you seem to be a very political person involved deeply in the paintsville system ...to be able to blow off a season of atheletics for any team... and to say that the coach took the blame is ludicris ... he has said this one is on me more than once this season...but to say that tonight is not much solice to a group of talented athletes and one would hope that if a school system is good enough for me to entrust my kids to go to could over look small town has beens and politics and make a salaried position as the head baseball coach is accountable for his actions ...and if you think that this isn't the norm to do so then you probably cannot or do not read the newspapers...coaches have a tremendous responsibility to the kids they supposedly instruct..and if they are not held accountable to their actions and someone is not responisble then this not the place that I would want my kid to play or go to school....and from the sounds of your post you are close to the action....so maybe I have made the wrong decesion for my child ...... because he will not play for such irresponsible adults if it costs me everything and I have to relocate to a normal school system in another town or state where the people hired by the school board must have qualifications and are held accountable for what they do not just who someone thinks they are! MY BAD!!!!
blue blur you don't have any facts straight... sounds like to me that you don't know facts or don't care to hear them ....and the comment about my kid being a black sheep. is just to my point.... very narrow minded and very small town ...as a matter of fact within 2 or three people in this town I could probably guess who you are!!!!!
no matter you are all the same!!!!!
shelf222 Wrote:blue blur you don't have any facts straight... sounds like to me that you don't know facts or don't care to hear them ....and the comment about my kid being a black sheep. is just to my point.... very narrow minded and very small town ...as a matter of fact within 2 or three people in this town I could probably guess who you are!!!!!
no matter you are all the same!!!!!

I'm not involved with politics but I'm just a spectator. My black sheep comment, was not to be offensive to you. Just seen it happen before and it'll happen again maybe not to your son or daughter but to someone else. If you don't think politics is involved in every high school in America, you're wrong. Athletics seems to be the center point of that in all schools. I'm not willing to over look what happend tonight, or to overlook what has happend all season. But will my opinions on that change the way things are and alter the decision making that goes on? I think not. I don't care to listen to you talk one bit, I may even learn something I didn't know. Heck if you want to talk one on one just pm and we'll chat.
Yeah Baby, We the Champs. I'm so proud of our guys.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:Paintsville should have mercied SC. Not taking anything away from the freshman SC pitched but Paintsville should have unloaded on him. He was throwing MEAT all night long and Paintsville just kept on getting under it, popping the ball up in the air all night. They definately didn't hit the ball like they have been the last couple weeks. As for the pitching change, IDK why coach did it and don't really care, if Pugh would have struck out the side everyone would be saying coach made a good move. Like said earlier in the thread, Pugh has came in multiple times this season and did a hell of a job every time, he just had a rough time. And yes there were quite a few of the balls he threw that should have been strikes, at least where I was standing it looked like it. Paintsville's 3rd baseman should have caught that ground ball, and NO it wasn't hit very hard at all, it should have been caught and the 3rd out should have been made then keeping the game tied, BUT I am NOT blaming him for the loss either. It's a TEAM game and the TEAM didn't hit the ball worth a shit tonight and it cost them, simple as that.

Congrats SC, I'm glad I got to see B May finally win a region championship, that kid most definately deserved it.

Are you kidding me? How are you going to make the statement "Paintsville should've mercied Sheldon Clark..." when Sheldon Clark defeated Paintsville TWICE in the season. And in my opinion, Brady Horn wasn't throwing "meat" all night. He is a FRESHMAN pitcher... give him some credit. How many 15 year olds do you know that can handle the pressure of a regional championship? Horn did extremely well. As for the pitching change... that was RIDICULOUS. If they wanted the win so badly, the coach should have left Grimm in (probably so he could bean Harless yet again, but nonetheless..), he was still pitching fine, and such a late pitching change spelled nothing but trouble... piss poor coaching from what I see. Each time Pugh has pitched against SC, we have murdered the ball... I know you HATE to admit it, but Pugh just is not that good of a pitcher. And you're right that Paintsville didn't hit the ball worth a shit, when do they ever? B May could have stood there, pitching the ball underhanded with his left hand and the Cardinals still would have sealed the victory. Paintsville LUCKED out with the draw that they got and were absolutely BLESSED to be in the championship game, period.

My point is, your ridiculous notions are just that... plain ridiculous.

Bottom line -- Paintsville just isn't that talented.