Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark 7 Paintsville 5 (15th Region Championship)
twentythree Wrote:Are you kidding me? How are you going to make the statement "Paintsville should've mercied Sheldon Clark..." when Sheldon Clark defeated Paintsville TWICE in the season. And in my opinion, Brady Horn wasn't throwing "meat" all night. He is a FRESHMAN pitcher... give him some credit. How many 15 year olds do you know that can handle the pressure of a regional championship? Horn did extremely well. As for the pitching change... that was RIDICULOUS. If they wanted the win so badly, the coach should have left Grimm in (probably so he could bean Harless yet again, but nonetheless..), he was still pitching fine, and such a late pitching change spelled nothing but trouble... piss poor coaching from what I see. Each time Pugh has pitched against SC, we have murdered the ball... I know you HATE to admit it, but Pugh just is not that good of a pitcher. And you're right that Paintsville didn't hit the ball worth a shit, when do they ever? B May could have stood there, pitching the ball underhanded with his left hand and the Cardinals still would have sealed the victory. Paintsville LUCKED out with the draw that they got and were absolutely BLESSED to be in the championship game, period.

My point is, your ridiculous notions are just that... plain ridiculous.

Bottom line -- Paintsville just isn't that talented.

Seriously now, do you have to rag on the players. Okay maybe you all have shelled Pugh. But to say P-ville didn't hit worth a shit, when do they ever? I mean seriously, it isn't like SC murdered Paintsville at any point in the year. They beat Paintsville by a combine total of 6 runs in 3 games. If I remember correctly, Andrew Brown took Brandon may yard twice in one game. I mean seriously. You act like Paintsville is terrible, when they were at the top of the region all year. SC made it to the championship, and won it deservingly so with the road they had to take. Yeah the Tigers did luck into the draw but seriously, why rag on them? Some of us have said nothing negative towards SC but yet you continue to rag. Enjoy the championship but why not do it positively and with a little sportsmanship. I'll be rooting for the Cards from here on out.
All I wanna say is congrats to the Cards. Paintsvilee played well most of the game. The have a lot of talent coming back. Sure Paintsville took out Grimm, but SC still had to get it done and they did. Way to go Cards who by far had the toughest road here. Well earned championship.
OK!!! First off, congrats to SC!!
Paintsville came into this season with a very, very young team. They returned three starters from last year. A first baseman, a right fielder and a utility player, I say utility because as a freshman DP played third and moved to CF last year and then to SS this year. They had around 17 combined varsity innings returning to the mound. Our entire coaching staff was even younger.....combined 3 years exp. at varsity level, none as a head coach.
Did we see improvement??? Well....Brown was as solid as they came, defensivly and offensively. Williams became a monster at the plate this year and had the best outfield arm in the region. Pugh had his usual steller year and with one exception, became a pitcher this year.
And every other player on the team improved throughout the year.
They won 20 games, a dist. championship and reg. runners up.
But let's hang the coaches.
I agree they made bonehead moves throughout the year, but they did this on their own, had zero support from mentors, and very little from parents. Real support I mean.
Did any of our sons become permanently damaged this year??? This game???
Could they have still been playing? Couldn't a lot of teams?
Season's over and we will feel better later on. Give 'em hell Cards!!!
The Guru Wrote:OK!!! First off, congrats to SC!!
Paintsville came into this season with a very, very young team. They returned three starters from last year. A first baseman, a right fielder and a utility player, I say utility because as a freshman DP played third and moved to CF last year and then to SS this year. They had around 17 combined varsity innings returning to the mound. Our entire coaching staff was even younger.....combined 3 years exp. at varsity level, none as a head coach.
Did we see improvement??? Well....Brown was as solid as they came, defensivly and offensively. Williams became a monster at the plate this year and had the best outfield arm in the region. Pugh had his usual steller year and with one exception, became a pitcher this year.
And every other player on the team improved throughout the year.
They won 20 games, a dist. championship and reg. runners up.
But let's hang the coaches.
I agree they made bonehead moves throughout the year, but they did this on their own, had zero support from mentors, and very little from parents. Real support I mean.
Did any of our sons become permanently damaged this year??? This game???
Could they have still been playing? Couldn't a lot of teams?
Season's over and we will feel better later on. Give 'em hell Cards!!!

:Thumbs: Nice! Glad someone that is a Paintsville fan will agree with me.
First off... Thank you to PCCHS. Very nice facility and with the exception of the water deal in the dugouts, nice job with the tourney.
2nd.... Steven Butcher, you've found a nice place, stay there and build a great program!
3rd.... Good Luck Sheldon Clark in your trip to the 16th and semi state!
4th.... I agree with Blue Blur & Guru & PC....
5th.... Keep your heads up Tigers, work hard in the off-seasons, and be ready to earn your positions next year.
I dont think anyone expected SC to win but it looked like all the people in attendance was for them.
Prep Star Wrote:I dont think anyone expected SC to win but it looked like all the people in attendance was for them.

Yea, :thumpsup:
If it wasnt for the fact SC had to use their aces earlier I would have predicted them winning. Paintsville ahd the game to win and didnt step up to the plate. The coach did make a bad decision but like somone said the SC pitcher was throwing alot of meat. He did good for a Freshman but still should have been hit better. But then again you cant go face Paintsville with just a fastball or you will get lit up. SC had the better team but they were close, Paintsville is young and will be back. Congrats SC they earned this regional tournament. I believe this could be hardest road ever to win a region.
twentythree Wrote:Are you kidding me? How are you going to make the statement "Paintsville should've mercied Sheldon Clark..." when Sheldon Clark defeated Paintsville TWICE in the season. And in my opinion, Brady Horn wasn't throwing "meat" all night. He is a FRESHMAN pitcher... give him some credit. How many 15 year olds do you know that can handle the pressure of a regional championship? Horn did extremely well. As for the pitching change... that was RIDICULOUS. If they wanted the win so badly, the coach should have left Grimm in (probably so he could bean Harless yet again, but nonetheless..), he was still pitching fine, and such a late pitching change spelled nothing but trouble... piss poor coaching from what I see. Each time Pugh has pitched against SC, we have murdered the ball... I know you HATE to admit it, but Pugh just is not that good of a pitcher. And you're right that Paintsville didn't hit the ball worth a shit, when do they ever? B May could have stood there, pitching the ball underhanded with his left hand and the Cardinals still would have sealed the victory. Paintsville LUCKED out with the draw that they got and were absolutely BLESSED to be in the championship game, period.

My point is, your ridiculous notions are just that... plain ridiculous.

Bottom line -- Paintsville just isn't that talented.

It's people like you twentythree who make SC look bad. I wasn't putting anyone down, I do believe I said I wasn't taking anything away from the Horn kid, he did a good job, BUT YES, he was throwing meat and if YOU ever played or knew ANYTHING about baseball then you would know that fastballs chest and waist high down the middle of the plate was MEAT. And don't start about freshmen handling pressure like that, you forget I played with Chas and Tate Harmon who BOTH pitched in games like that when they were Freshmen. "And you're right that Paintsville didn't hit the ball worth a shit, when do they ever?" Hmm, didn't B May pitch the complete game AT Paintsville, didn't Paintsville put up some good numbers that game, didn't Andrew Brown blast TWO HOME RUNS off B May that game. B May is a hell of a player, I will even agree with the post earlier about him being the best baseball player to ever play at SC, BUT to say he would have shut Paintsville down is absurd, I don't care how good you are things happen, I have seen them happen. Hell me Junior year Pikeville beat us in the region championship and we pitched Chas Harmon, the BEST pitcher in the region and area, they beat us 2-1. Not to mention we had beat Pikeville earlier in the year with ease when Chas pitched. "Are you kidding me? How are you going to make the statement "Paintsville should've mercied Sheldon Clark..." when Sheldon Clark defeated Paintsville TWICE in the season." Doesn't matter how many times SC beat them in the regular season. SC pitched a FRESHMAN who was serving up batting practice and Paintsville didn't do anything with it. They should have scored 15-20 runs on that kid. I'm not saying isn't any good, I'm saying he was throwing fastballs in the HOT ZONES if you know what I mean. I'll give you a better example TWENTYTHREE, maybe you will understand this one. Pike Central MERCIED East Ridge TWICE this year, East Ridge BEATS Pike Central FIRST ROUND of regions. Does that help you understand anything about what I am saying. Baseball is unpredictable, ANYTHING can happen on any given night no matter who is pitching or whatever.
Paintsville had opportunities, to be region champs. Things didn't go well and they lost to the best team in the region in the finals.
Paintsville did have oppurtunities to win but they simply were just not as good as people let on. If they were, Brady would have been rocked. Paintsville was WAY overhyped, as they always are by their fans, and SC showed that. pretty good season Pville, you will be better next year and i will predict you will be in this game again next year, but you just were not regional champion material this year.....
I'm not one bit disappointed in this Tiger team. After losing 7 starters from last year including the entire pitching rotation, to do what they did I am proud of them. And yes corndog you are right, they will playing in that game again next year, should anyways, but losing the bats and defense of Brown and Williams will hurt. I wouldn't go as far as saying they were overhyped cause the talent to win the region was there. The more I think about how Paintsville should have rocked Horn I realized something, they were trying to rock him instead of just going up there and being patient. That might have something to do with them popping out a million times, IDK, just looked like they were all swinging for the fence.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:I'm not one bit disappointed in this Tiger team. After losing 7 starters from last year including the entire pitching rotation, to do what they did I am proud of them. And yes corndog you are right, they will playing in that game again next year, should anyways, but losing the bats and defense of Brown and Williams will hurt. I wouldn't go as far as saying they were overhyped cause the talent to win the region was there. The more I think about how Paintsville should have rocked Horn I realized something, they were trying to rock him instead of just going up there and being patient. That might have something to do with them popping out a million times, IDK, just looked like they were all swinging for the fence.

i can agree with that. I help coach a little league team and we have the best player in the league. the past three games he has been trying as hard as he can to hit a homerun and he either pops out or grounds out. you just have to let it flow and let the game come to you. if you try too hard and swing as hard as you can, you start pullin off the ball and you struggle. looks like thats what happened last night.
corndog23 Wrote:Paintsville did have oppurtunities to win but they simply were just not as good as people let on. If they were, Brady would have been rocked. Paintsville was WAY overhyped, as they always are by their fans, and SC showed that. pretty good season Pville, you will be better next year and i will predict you will be in this game again next year, but you just were not regional champion material this year.....
Although I agree a lot with your post, I don't remember where Paintsville was ever overhyped this year. Everyone said they were young and talented and would be in the thick of things and they were. They had 2 wins over JC and Pikeville, wins over SCHS and ACHS Paintsville went 5-2 against AC, JC, and Pikeville. SC went 3-3 against the same teams. The truth is, SC won this game, and deserves to play Boyd County, Paintsville was every bit as tough as claimed. I will continue to support the Cards, but backhanded compliments from you are not wanted.
Look SC was the better team they won with a freshman on the mound Paintsville was good I ain't trying to take anything away from them but SC is just flat out good Good luck in state guys.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:It couldn't have happened to a more classy bunch of kids.

The kids may be classy, but their coach sure as hell isn't, the fans either. Who drives the school bus ALL the way to Paintsville with the long caravan behind them driving thru the city of Paintsville honking their horns. Why do that, I could understand Johnson Central doing that had it been them who beat Paintsville considering the schools are only 2 minutes apart, but Inez and Paintsville, BIG difference. Poor show of sportsmanship on Mike Hall's part and that is one of the reasons I can't stand him. Everyone jumped all over me for dogging him in basketball season, everyone talked about how great of a guy he was and all that BS then he does something like this. I was fine with the loss, I accepted it but this, this just boils the water, that's ridiculous.
SC was the best all around team in the region this year, but we were very fortunate to pull this game out given the pitching situation. The tough road just makes it that much sweeter. The baseball Gods are kind sometimes and they decided to let us have one and I couldn't be more happy. We had the best team in 03 and 04, things just didn't work out for us, so this just had to be our year.

Paintsville was a very good team and the best hitting team in the region this year imo, Brady did a very good job limiting them to 5 runs. They will be tough next year and for years to come because they have a great feeder system and a ton of support from their community. Keep your heads up Tigers you have nothing to be ashamed of. This Cardinal fan has ton of respect for your program.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:The kids may be classy, but their coach sure as hell isn't, the fans either. Who drives the school bus ALL the way to Paintsville with the long caravan behind them driving thru the city of Paintsville honking their horns. Why do that, I could understand Johnson Central doing that had it been them who beat Paintsville considering the schools are only 2 minutes apart, but Inez and Paintsville, BIG difference. Poor show of sportsmanship on Mike Hall's part and that is one of the reasons I can't stand him. Everyone jumped all over me for dogging him in basketball season, everyone talked about how great of a guy he was and all that BS then he does something like this. I was fine with the loss, I accepted it but this, this just boils the water, that's ridiculous.

I'm guessing coach decided since everyone from Paintsville hates him anyways, why not. Sometimes you just have to laugh at these things , I know I got a good chuckle.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:It's people like you twentythree who make SC look bad. I wasn't putting anyone down, I do believe I said I wasn't taking anything away from the Horn kid, he did a good job, BUT YES, he was throwing meat and if YOU ever played or knew ANYTHING about baseball then you would know that fastballs chest and waist high down the middle of the plate was MEAT. And don't start about freshmen handling pressure like that, you forget I played with Chas and Tate Harmon who BOTH pitched in games like that when they were Freshmen. "And you're right that Paintsville didn't hit the ball worth a shit, when do they ever?" Hmm, didn't B May pitch the complete game AT Paintsville, didn't Paintsville put up some good numbers that game, didn't Andrew Brown blast TWO HOME RUNS off B May that game. B May is a hell of a player, I will even agree with the post earlier about him being the best baseball player to ever play at SC, BUT to say he would have shut Paintsville down is absurd, I don't care how good you are things happen, I have seen them happen. Hell me Junior year Pikeville beat us in the region championship and we pitched Chas Harmon, the BEST pitcher in the region and area, they beat us 2-1. Not to mention we had beat Pikeville earlier in the year with ease when Chas pitched. "Are you kidding me? How are you going to make the statement "Paintsville should've mercied Sheldon Clark..." when Sheldon Clark defeated Paintsville TWICE in the season." Doesn't matter how many times SC beat them in the regular season. SC pitched a FRESHMAN who was serving up batting practice and Paintsville didn't do anything with it. They should have scored 15-20 runs on that kid. I'm not saying isn't any good, I'm saying he was throwing fastballs in the HOT ZONES if you know what I mean. I'll give you a better example TWENTYTHREE, maybe you will understand this one. Pike Central MERCIED East Ridge TWICE this year, East Ridge BEATS Pike Central FIRST ROUND of regions. Does that help you understand anything about what I am saying. Baseball is unpredictable, ANYTHING can happen on any given night no matter who is pitching or whatever.

First of all, the make the assumption that I know nothing about Baseball is absurd. For one, you don't know me personally, so a personal attack is severely out of line. If you knew ME... I could understand it, maybe, but you absolutely do NOT, so take a step backward.

And maybe I went too far trashing Paintsville. But they were honestly OVERRATED... In my personal opinion, they didn't deserve to make it out of districts. I'll reinforce my earlier statement, they were BLESSED with the draw they got. Sheldon Clark put in the work and they had the heart, and EARNED the Regional Title.

The reason I got defensive is YOU were making ridiculous notions. Brady Horn pitched well as a freshman... meat or no meat your team didn't take advantage. And to state that Sheldon Clark should've been mercied? You said yourself Baseball is unpredictable (I know this from EXPERIENCE) so WHY make crazy statements about SC being MERCIED by a team they beat TWICE in the regular season?

Seriously.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:The kids may be classy, but their coach sure as hell isn't, the fans either. Who drives the school bus ALL the way to Paintsville with the long caravan behind them driving thru the city of Paintsville honking their horns. Why do that, I could understand Johnson Central doing that had it been them who beat Paintsville considering the schools are only 2 minutes apart, but Inez and Paintsville, BIG difference. Poor show of sportsmanship on Mike Hall's part and that is one of the reasons I can't stand him. Everyone jumped all over me for dogging him in basketball season, everyone talked about how great of a guy he was and all that BS then he does something like this. I was fine with the loss, I accepted it but this, this just boils the water, that's ridiculous.

edited by administrator
moofer Wrote:personal attack edited by admin.

Think what you may I could really care less, I congratulated SC on their victory, but a parade around Paintsville is going overboard.
Only if you were the loser. How bout how much class Grimm Shows when he hits Harless just bout everytime they face each other?
I do seem to remember a lot of unsportmanlike conduct from Paintsville in the district final game.

For one, one of our fans/coaches in another sport asked Paintsville's coach what was going on with Grimm hitting Harless TWICE... and the coach replied with "if he bats again he'll get hit a third..."

What is up with that... out of all people, a coach should be adult about things and not allow such garbage.
twentythree Wrote:I do seem to remember a lot of unsportmanlike conduct from Paintsville in the district final game.

For one, one of our fans/coaches in another sport asked Paintsville's coach what was going on with Grimm hitting Harless TWICE... and the coach replied with "if he bats again he'll get hit a third..."

What is up with that... out of all people, a coach should be adult about things and not allow such garbage.

I didn't know anything about that, but I agree there's no room for it.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:I didn't know anything about that, but I agree there's no room for it.

I honestly think that the rivalry between Paintsville and SC has been taken too far.
moofer Wrote:Only if you were the loser. How bout how much class Grimm Shows when he hits Harless just bout everytime they face each other?

Grimm hitting Harless has nothing to do with "class". How many times have they faced eachother and how many times has Grimm hit him. Grimm was definately having control problems in districts, he walked 4 and hit 4.
twentythree Wrote:I honestly think that the rivalry between Paintsville and SC has been taken too far.

It's one thing when the players can't stand eachother, except for B May, everyone likes him, BUT when the coaches can't stand eachother, lol, that's when it gets heated.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:Grimm hitting Harless has nothing to do with "class". How many times have they faced eachother and how many times has Grimm hit him. Grimm was definately having control problems in districts, he walked 4 and hit 4.

Control issues are one thing, but the coach simply stated that Grimms intentions were to bean Harless.
PC_U_KNOW_98 Wrote:It's one thing when the players can't stand eachother, except for B May, everyone likes him, BUT when the coaches can't stand eachother, lol, that's when it gets heated.

Yeah, it's out of control.

You'd think the rivalry between JC and SC would be larger but I'm doubting it now.
[QUOTE=PC_U_KNOW_98]Paintsville should have mercied SC. Not taking anything away from the freshman SC pitched but Paintsville should have unloaded on him. He was throwing MEAT all night long

If the freshman was throwing meat all night long that makes you paintsvillans a bunch of vegetarians! :lmao: