Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 14th Region
Strikeout King Wrote:Letcher, Hazard, Powell and Estill will all be in the running for the regional crown. Letcher will be hard to beat with the coach they have and the few returning players from last year and the transfer. The others will be hard to beat with everyone they have returning.

I don't know about a few as they have seven starters returning.
How long before the coach from LCC gets a college job. I saw his team and they have real good talent.
Cornett is back at Knott and they will be much improved.
I hope no college even looks at Coach Dean. He is one of the best coaches we have up there. He goes above and beyond to care for the field. He cuts the grass and labors on the field to make sure it is in top shape.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Dean does a great job at LCC and he gets a lot out of kids. He is one of the best coaches around at manufacturing runs.
Jackson City will return about everyone but three people which 2 of them graduated and one that held back but they will have a good pitcher named Albert Turner, they also will have a good filed behind him when he is pitching. All of y'all say that it doesn't matter about the 55th, watch and find out y'all will be surprised.
Bigbluesports Wrote:Jackson City will return about everyone but three people which 2 of them graduated and one that held back but they will have a good pitcher named Albert Turner, they also will have a good filed behind him when he is pitching. All of y'all say that it doesn't matter about the 55th, watch and find out y'all will be surprised.

Jackson City should be the favorite to win the 55th district. Creech, WC and Cox/Hamilton, BC graduated. Wolfe Co. & Breathitt Co. both have new coaching staffs.

Estill, Powell, LCC, KCC, Lee, and Hazard return a lot of talent. PCC and Leslie are young but well coached. Rumors on this site that Cordia could be getting new players any day.

In the '13 regional tounament Jackson City lost to KCC (without Cornett pitching) 11-1 in 5 innings.
Breathitt's best pitcher this year is Joe Erp which throws about 70 mph and Adam Stacy throws about 55 mph, he also has no curve ball and his knuckleball is just so slow it drops like a changeup, I say Breathitt will be the worst team in the 14th, not including Riverside.
RickJR Wrote:Breathitt will have the best starter and closer in the 14th, there starter is Joe erp he throws around 85 with a killer curve and sinker, and there closer is The Sandman! Adam Stacy He throws around 74 but his curve is crazy AF and don't get me started on his knuckle! he will PUT YOU TO SLEEP!Confusedleep:
You must be crazy thanking Adam Stacy throwing 74 and Erp throwing 85 maybe like 55 and 65.
Estill and Powell will be TOUGH to beat this year. Combs at Estill is a great fit!
rawlingsfan Wrote:Jackson City should be the favorite to win the 55th district. Creech, WC and Cox/Hamilton, BC graduated. Wolfe Co. & Breathitt Co. both have new coaching staffs.

Estill, Powell, LCC, KCC, Lee, and Hazard return a lot of talent. PCC and Leslie are young but well coached. Rumors on this site that Cordia could be getting new players any day.

In the '13 regional tounament Jackson City lost to KCC (without Cornett pitching) 11-1 in 5 innings.

Rawlings, did Breathitt ever name a new coach?
mandan Wrote:Rawlings, did Breathitt ever name a new coach?

Nothing is listed on the KHSAA website. Maybe Combs? Think he was a catcher for them in the early 2000s?
rawlingsfan Wrote:Nothing is listed on the KHSAA website. Maybe Combs? Think he was a catcher for them in the early 2000s?

Perhaps Justin Combs? He was an assistant last year with a great baseball background and would be qualified for the head position, if he's interested.
Combs is not the coach. They haven't hired one as of now. I believe Combs is working in Pike County.
Article in the 1/16 town rag announcing Justin Combs as new Breathitt baseball coach.
Anyone know if there were any other candidates? Is this a good or bad choice for Breathitt? I don't know the guy.
That is a good hire. He worked with them this summer and seemed to do a good job with them.
29 days til tryouts (Feb. 15) and 54 days until the season starts (Mar 12)
Strikeout King Wrote:29 days til tryouts (Feb. 15) and 54 days until the season starts (Mar 12)
Can't get here soon enough! Ready for warm weather and some Cougar baseball. Letcher Central should be the team to beat. Return 7 starters from team that went undefeated in 14th region last year and did not give up a run in the regional tournament.
You would think we could get some recognition in the polls this year, but most likely we wouldn't.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Justin Combs is the new coach at Breathitt County. Anyone have any info on him?
I helped him some 3 years ago with the middle school when my son played. But then he went up to the high school and I moved back to Belfry. I know in the paper it said he was all district and all region for 3 years. Also All state in his senior year. Played at Union College and was a great catcher there as well. Knows the game as good as anyone. Well he's a way from Brian Dean and Gene Combs but those guys have a ton of experience but in years to come I believe Justin will be right with them. I believe they will have a great program in a couple of years if they keep him around. The kids will play hard for him. Great hire! Glad you made your way back home buddy. Pike County will sure miss ya.

Bob
Baseball12 Wrote:I helped him some 3 years ago with the middle school when my son played. But then he went up to the high school and I moved back to Belfry. I know in the paper it said he was all district and all region for 3 years. Also All state in his senior year. Played at Union College and was a great catcher there as well. Knows the game as good as anyone. Well he's a way from Brian Dean and Gene Combs but those guys have a ton of experience but in years to come I believe Justin will be right with them. I believe they will have a great program in a couple of years if they keep him around. The kids will play hard for him. Great hire! Glad you made your way back home buddy. Pike County will sure miss ya.

Bob

Justin will do a good job....but speaking of a ton of experience close to 20 (maybe more?)years Dixon, Meehan, Russell Melton, close to 10 years Varney, Jewell, Michael Davidson, Joel Melton. Gary Hammonds probably 30....and Scott Cornett 20+ at the college level.
Yeah the 14th is loaded with great coaching. I was just using Dean and Combs as examples. The thing about all those guys is that they coached against Justin and all respect him as a former player but he will have to gain their respect as a coach. Meehan will have a tough group this year from what I am hearing from some of my old minin buddies. Who pitches for Estill besides the Tuttle kid?
Baseball12 Wrote:Yeah the 14th is loaded with great coaching. I was just using Dean and Combs as examples. The thing about all those guys is that they coached against Justin and all respect him as a former player but he will have to gain their respect as a coach. Meehan will have a tough group this year from what I am hearing from some of my old minin buddies. Who pitches for Estill besides the Tuttle kid?

Farmer, Sparks, Brinegar (he didn't pitch last year bit when he does he's good)
Is Lee Co still as dominant as they were in the early 2000's?
Hey lets not forget Estill Co. also has French, Withers, and C.Day and a couple of incoming freshman that will make this pitching staff very strong. So lets get this season going, should be best year in the 14th region in years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, almost forgot McKinney and possibly Blackwell and Bach
knott will be a big contender if their pitching develops other than cornett
Letcher and Hazard are my favorites.Heard Hatmaker at Powell may not be playing this year.If that's true,will hurt Powell.Letcher returns a great team and deserves props this year.I'm hoping it's finally time for Hazard to get over the hump,but we'll see how it plays out on the diamond this year.Estill will be dangerous too,return a great core of players and they are hungry for a title shot.