Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry Central Baseball
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Every year the Hazard horn is tooted on the talent they have and that they are the favorites to win it. Guess what, every year, they choke. With all the talent they have had in the last few years, they may be the most underachieving baseball team in the history of the mountains.

Since 2008 Hazard has won 140 games, 5 dist. championships, and they've made it to Applebee's Park (now Whitaker Bank Park) 3x in the All-A Elite 8, reaching the Final Four last year. They've lost in the regional tournament over the 6 year span to Estill County 3x, Powell County 2x, and LCC once. I don't see how that's underachieving. Had they been upset in the first round of the district tournament by Buckhorn (no offense to them) several times then that would be underachieving.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Since 2008 Hazard has won 140 games, 5 dist. championships, and they've made it to Applebee's Park (now Whitaker Bank Park) 3x in the All-A Elite 8, reaching the Final Four last year. They've lost in the regional tournament over the 6 year span to Estill County 3x, Powell County 2x, and LCC once. I don't see how that's underachieving. Had they been upset in the first round of the district tournament by Buckhorn (no offense to them) several times then that would be underachieving.

Every season the talk on this website is that Hazard is the best team in the region and they have the most talent. If this is true, they have been underachieving. It is nice they are winning at the All-A level. They have proven they are the best All-A team in the region but come regional tournament they have had a hard time playing with the big boys. Either they have been underchieving or the baseball pundits on this website overestimate the talent and coaching at Hazard.
High school baseball in Ky isn't classed, and it's single elimination. Many times the most talented team doesn't win.

The major factor is PITCHING. One good pitcher on a given day can shut down another teams offense. On the flip side, there's pitching limitations that may keep a teams best pitcher from getting to pitch in the championship or even semi-final game. That would be equivalent to your starting QB in football not getting to take snaps the next week because you used him to much the game before in a close contest.

John Meehan and his staff do a great job. They can't pitch, field, or hit for the players. They had three seniors sign to play with UVA-Wise off of last years team alone. From 1999-2004, coach Meehan led teams to the regional finals 5/6 seasons, and reached the semi-final game all 6 seasons. His teams won regional titles in '01, '03, and '04. The '03 and '04 teams lost best of three series to Rockcastle County by scores of 1-0, 3-2 (they won game one of the series 2-1) and Johnson Central (3-1, 6-4).

With a break or two they could have reached the finals in each of the last six seasons (and did in 2009).
Playing All-A is like playing biddy league! Nothing to be boasting about. It cracks me up when people talk about going to state and winning state tourney, when it's All-A. It's about like grade school state tourney it's fun but "ain't nobody got time for that"! Lol.
warmachine Wrote:Playing All-A is like playing biddy league! Nothing to be boasting about. It cracks me up when people talk about going to state and winning state tourney, when it's All-A. It's about like grade school state tourney it's fun but "ain't nobody got time for that"! Lol.

Hazard High School is a class A school but they are like Duke in college basketball. They may be small in population but they get some of the best recruits across the nation.
The Weatherman Wrote:That darn chicken leg destroys Hazard every year. It goes down crossways and they CHOKE!!!!!!

Heard KCC may have trouble putting together a squad that will contend. Lost Williams to Letcher. Who is coaching the team this year??? Seems like they have had a different coach every year for the past several seasons...

Go Commodores!
Coach Cornett has the Knott boys working very hard in fall balll right now and they will be much improved. He has pretty much his whole varsity squad out with exception of couple kids playing football. This is not going to be a team to over look come spring.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Hazard High School is a class A school but they are like Duke in college basketball. They may be small in population but they get some of the best recruits across the nation.

Great facilities, great school (academically, with a small enrollment), and if you had a son that played all three sports (or even two sports)--- where in E Ky could you send them with a better all around coaching staff than Dixon, Holland, and Meehan?

I don't think Hazard has to recruit. They hire quality people and let them coach. All three sports are always competitive.
You dont have to recruit when players come to you. Kids go to HHS for a reason. Not sure if its the coaching, the academics, or the small school atmosphere. Hazard is always good in about every sport they have. Always competitive.
As far as baseball goes, you wont find a better coach than Bobby Keith Dixon at PCC. He is constantly working with his players, year around.
^Agree.Dixon has done a superb job at PCC.Wasn't along time ago that PCC went to Applebee's Park to represent the 14th.Classy guy and great attitude.
I agree Hazard has fell short of their abilities the last few years but that doesn't take away from the fact they do have a load of talent. Look for them to be strong this year. Letcher will also be a tough team to beat. They are well coached and always compete.
It hurts PCC losing the Smith kid. Don't really know how much they will have this year.
I would love to see Justin Johnson come out for baseball.He has a strong arm and decent control on the mound.With Smith leaving,they need some more hurlers to come out and play.
Hit N' Run Wrote:^Agree.Dixon has done a superb job at PCC.Wasn't along time ago that PCC went to Applebee's Park to represent the 14th.Classy guy and great attitude.

Dixon has been at PCC since Dilce Combs/M.C. Napier consolidated (1996-2013). PCC has won four regional championships ('96, '99, '05, and '10)- that's more than any other school during that time.

They have also been competitive with a legitimate shot at winning region almost every year. They have lost in the regional semi-finals to the eventual regional champion 6x ('97, '98, '00, '06, '07, and '09) and were regional runner-up in '08. So that's seven other years that they were knocking on the door.
I wished Johnson would play as well. They could use his pitching and power hitting. I heard he used to hit bombs over at Sheldon Clark his Freshman year.
So is Johnson playing this year? Any word? The kid is a super athlete and I've never had the opportunity to see him play.Would love to see him on the field and I'm sure Dixon would too.
It wouldnt hurt Justin a bit to play baseball this year. If he cant get ready for College in June, July, and August for basketball then something is bad wrong. He he cant throw in the 80s and hit the ball a ton like I hear then he needs to play. But then again, he may hate baseball. Who knows.
warmachine Wrote:Playing All-A is like playing biddy league! Nothing to be boasting about. It cracks me up when people talk about going to state and winning state tourney, when it's All-A. It's about like grade school state tourney it's fun but "ain't nobody got time for that"! Lol.
You sir are ignorant. This way of thinking is exactly why local talent flocks from the mountains. Instead of embracing the fact that we do not have the population that bigger cities have we instead bash these kids and down play their efforts. The population of a Louisville is what 250,000 compared to Perry county which is what 16,000. We are so outnumbered and underfunded within our feeder programs that there is no way imaginable to compete with the Lexingtons or Louisvilles of the state.