Poll: Who makes the trip to Bowling Green?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BELFRY
68.24%
Bourbon County
31.76%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Bourbon County (State Semi Finals)11/29/13
^ I hope your right! I just think a lot of Belfry's opponent this coming Black Friday.

I do know Haywood will have a good gameplan. I do take your point uh at Belfry is more tested. Bourbon has yet to face real adversity this season. If Belfry can get up a score or two early and force some punts, it might shell schlock the Colonels a bit.

I look for a tight game. Coin flip style.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ I hope your right! I just think a lot of Belfry's opponent this coming Black Friday.

I do know Haywood will have a good gameplan. I do take your point uh at Belfry is more tested. Bourbon has yet to face real adversity this season. If Belfry can get up a score or two early and force some punts, it might shell schlock the Colonels a bit.

I look for a tight game. Coin flip style.

Good post sir TongueirateSho
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PaytoPlay Wrote:Most of the Belfry fans haven't even seen film on bourbon, much less see them play. No one has even slowed them down. Keep in mind Bourbon bet Clark Co. 41-0. The same GRC team that Scott Co. Gave up 34 points to.

Belfry comes into this game a decided underdog IMO. Cantrell isn't dumb.
I agree, P2P, it seems a lot of us Pirates are underestimating the Colonels. Maybe it is because of last season, the hype surrounding Bourbon was fantastic, and Belfry handled them fairly easily. This Belfry team is not nearly as strong defensively as the 2012 edition, however, and I hope we don't get a false sense of security thinking it will be that easy this time around.

Bourbon looks to be more balanced than last season, and on film they look quicker on defense.

We better come with our A-Game, and even then I expect it to be a battle. There are 4 very good teams left in 3A and I am not sure who the favorite should be.
Looking for some constructive criticism I suppose, but the JC game it seemed like Belfry was still in some defensive trouble according to Belfry posters. They've had 3 running clocks against lackluster opponents any all the sudden they're "clicking". Just curious if it's a false sense of security in a way.
Thrillex Wrote:Looking for some constructive criticism I suppose, but the JC game it seemed like Belfry was still in some defensive trouble according to Belfry posters. They've had 3 running clocks against lackluster opponents any all the sudden they're "clicking". Just curious if it's a false sense of security in a way.

Well according to BC fans they have put running clocks on ALL 13 lackluster teams they played...so are they clicking or is that a false sense also....I'm not saying BC isn't any good...I'm just saying they haven't faced a team anywhere close to Belfry....and IMO Belfry has played 2 or 3 teams better than BC...but that being said Friday night will tell the tell...good luck and i hope for a injury free game..
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Well according to BC fans they have put running clocks on ALL 13 lackluster teams they played...so are they clicking or is that a false sense also....I'm not saying BC isn't any good...I'm just saying they haven't faced a team anywhere close to Belfry....and IMO Belfry has played 2 or 3 teams better than BC...but that being said Friday night will tell the tell...good luck and i hope for a injury free game..

Who are those 2-3 teams?
Thrillex Wrote:Looking for some constructive criticism I suppose, but the JC game it seemed like Belfry was still in some defensive trouble according to Belfry posters. They've had 3 running clocks against lackluster opponents any all the sudden they're "clicking". Just curious if it's a false sense of security in a way.

Pike Central has put up impressive numbers on just about everyone they've played this season. They got dismantled last night by a much improved Belfry D and couldn't stop Belfry's offense resulting in a running clock by half time. This all of a sudden makes Pike Central a lackluster opponent?
What's made them improve is what I'm getting at? Bourbon has played far weaker of a schedule no doubt. Not making it a both ways but is Belfry's defense improved only because of a week playoff schedule?
Thrillex Wrote:What's made them improve is what I'm getting at? Bourbon has played far weaker of a schedule no doubt. Not making it a both ways but is Belfry's defense improved only because of a week playoff schedule?

No, we had a kid come back from injury and moved some guys around defensively.
Were they moved around during playoffs? Had played defense all year at different spots/ situations? Reading in the JC/Belfry thread it was said there inside linebackers were struggling? Same ones who played against Somerset, Gallia, If they improved during the playoffs is just because of who they played? Bourbon sort of reminds me of Somerset.
Thrillex Wrote:Were they moved around during playoffs? Had played defense all year at different spots/ situations? Reading in the JC/Belfry thread it was said there inside linebackers were struggling? Same ones who played against Somerset, Gallia, If they improved during the playoffs is just because of who they played? Bourbon sort of reminds me of Somerset.

They moved Austin Hatfield to inside linebacker, made a change on the d-line and have been doing some different rotations. Started in the playoffs. Plus we've started a sophomore and a freshman at DE and they've literally improved every game all year.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Who are those 2-3 teams?

IMO...of course Johnson Central, Christian academy of Knoxville, and Harlan Co...and Somerset is a toss up
The new defensive scheme showed how effective it was against LC in the second round. The first time they met in the reg season they were running it at will. In the second game they didn't score until late in the 3rd quarter. And last night showed it wasnt the same defense that spotted PC 19 points the first game.
Combined record of opponents
Bourbon Co. 68-78 Mason Co. only team with 8 or more wins (12)
Belfry 85-67 5 Teams on schedule with 8 or more wins six if you count Lawrence Co. twice. 2 with 11+ wins!

Teams faced with 8+ loses
Bourbon Co. 4
Belfry 2

Teams faced with a winning record
Bourbon Co. 6
Belfry 8 teams 10 games faced Lawrence Co. and Pike Central twice

But remember people games aren't played on paper and old stats they are played on the GRIDIRON! Next Friday night 2 teams will meet for the right to represent this side of the state in the state title game good luck to both teams. Hopefully injury free and safe travel to all who attend from both schools!:rockon:
Also no first downs allowed in the first half I think they picked up their first one with about 6 and a half left in the 3rd QTR in the Lawrence Co. game. Well said skully03. It goes to show how TO's affect a game if Belfry keeps it clean and their "D" plays the same as they have they will be a tough out for anyone!
Thanks! That's what I was looking for. At this point of the season hard to say they're freshman anymore. Belfry looks to have a solid young core coming up. I assume Cole Bentley is getting some snaps on the line?
IronMan86 Wrote:Pike Central has put up impressive numbers on just about everyone they've played this season. They got dismantled last night by a much improved Belfry D and couldn't stop Belfry's offense resulting in a running clock by half time. This all of a sudden makes Pike Central a lackluster opponent?

Pike Central is lackluster in every sense of the word, IMO.

With that being said, yes the defense is playing better, still not tackling well but they are definitely getting to ball quicker and with more red jerseys.

Also, I'd guarantee that Johnsonville, Harlan Co., and CAK are better than Bourbon Co.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:According to Massey Matchups Bourbon is a 34 - 21 favorite in this game. I don't like that one bit.

Belfry 28
Bourbon 20

This is why I always say a computer ain't never scored a touchdown....these same ratings said Harlan co would beat US by 2 scores and Jc by like one...so look how that turned out..
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:IMO...of course Johnson Central, Christian academy of Knoxville, and Harlan Co...and Somerset is a toss up

JC I can agree with CAK i know nothing about, im going to say no to Harlan and a definite no to Somerset. Somerset played Pburg really close. Pburg lost to Powell who BC beat by 40 or 50. JMO though.
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:IMO...of course Johnson Central, Christian academy of Knoxville, and Harlan Co...and Somerset is a toss up
Respectfully disagree, bourbon could beat all three. Jc would be a shoot out. Their run vs Bourbon air. Bourbon has both. Don't see JC stopping their air game, Bourbon would have some difficulty with their ground game. Very debateable for forum discussions. Home field advantages are big in these types of games
Thrillex Wrote:Thanks! That's what I was looking for. At this point of the season hard to say they're freshman anymore. Belfry looks to have a solid young core coming up. I assume Cole Bentley is getting some snaps on the line?

Good, cause we play about 5 real good freshman lol
Football Junky Wrote:Respectfully disagree, bourbon could beat all three. Jc would be a shoot out. Their run vs Bourbon air. Bourbon has both. Don't see JC stopping their air game, Bourbon would have some difficulty with their ground game. Very debateable for forum discussions. Home field advantages are big in these types of games

Sorry, but Bourbon would not beat JC.
IronMan86 Wrote:Sorry, but Bourbon would not beat JC.
Agree to disagree. CoV cath proved JC was not what they thought they were.
Belfry will win this one to much belfry from Williamsburg and 64SUR :truestory:
Bourbon is no Cov Cath either.
Bourbon by a TD, over/under of 60 +.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Should definitely be an interesting contest. Bourbon has been looking to Belfry since Nov/Dec 2012....right after they got beat in the semi's. Have enveloped their entire season around "wanting Belfry". Their resolve reminds me alot of the past Breathitt Co and Middlesboro teams....all of which claimed their season hinged on "beating Belfry". No question...Bourbon is a quality team...especially on offense. Their defense hasn't earnestly been challenged all year....including last night. Don't let anyone continue to sell "Mason was great". No way. No shape. Mason is/was a marginal team that would find themselves in a dog fight with Pike Central.

Defensively....Bourbon has some holes...and it'll be interesting to see how they deal with the "fullback option". They struggled last year in defending the middle. IMO, that will be key. If Belfry can run between the tackles.....

For Bourbon....they will have to be able to run the ball. They're definitely quick...and love to pressure the corners. Belfry must wrap and tackle..or YAC will be a huge advantage for Bourbon.

If the game were @ Belfry.....I would predict the Pirates by +/- 10... With the game being at Bourbon...I see this as a "push" game. Historically...Belfry has played very well in road playoff games. However, Bourbon definitely has a focused approach coming into Friday.

Will probably come down to coaching and game adjustments. I"ll take Haywood and the Pirates in that category.
Leonidas Wrote:Pike Central is lackluster in every sense of the word, IMO.

With that being said, yes the defense is playing better, still not tackling well but they are definitely getting to ball quicker and with more red jerseys.

Also, I'd guarantee that Johnsonville, Harlan Co., and CAK are better than Bourbon Co.

Im not sure how you guarantee anything, Bourbon is an unknown to Belfry. BC has obliterated every team they have played, so I'm not sure how you can guarantee a team is better than them. They havent played a tough schedule, but noone came close to touching them, so please tell me how you know they are worse than these teams. Because they played Belfry close or beat them?
I'm sure Coach Hodge isn't going to allow any of this noise to go to the Colonels heads. They were the decided favorite going into Friday night's game and they could have easily taken Mason for granted, but they came in prepared and took care of business. As for the fans, they still remember the long drive home last year, so they aren't overlooking Belfry either. This will be a good game.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Should definitely be an interesting contest. Bourbon has been looking to Belfry since Nov/Dec 2012....right after they got beat in the semi's. Have enveloped their entire season around "wanting Belfry". Their resolve reminds me alot of the past Breathitt Co and Middlesboro teams....all of which claimed their season hinged on "beating Belfry". No question...Bourbon is a quality team...especially on offense. Their defense hasn't earnestly been challenged all year....including last night. Don't let anyone continue to sell "Mason was great". No way. No shape. Mason is/was a marginal team that would find themselves in a dog fight with Pike Central.

Defensively....Bourbon has some holes...and it'll be interesting to see how they deal with the "fullback option". They struggled last year in defending the middle. IMO, that will be key. If Belfry can run between the tackles.....

For Bourbon....they will have to be able to run the ball. They're definitely quick...and love to pressure the corners. Belfry must wrap and tackle..or YAC will be a huge advantage for Bourbon.

If the game were @ Belfry.....I would predict the Pirates by +/- 10... With the game being at Bourbon...I see this as a "push" game. Historically...Belfry has played very well in road playoff games. However, Bourbon definitely has a focused approach coming into Friday.

Will probably come down to coaching and game adjustments. I"ll take Haywood and the Pirates in that category.
Mason would destroy PCC, Williamsburg put a running clock on PCC.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next