Poll: Who wins the title
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BELFRY
55.74%
Wayne County
44.26%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Pirates Vs Wayne Co. (3A State Championship 12/6/13)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Wayne County Roster With Heights/Weights
http://khsaa.org/football/2013/3atoproster.pdf

Belfry Roster With Heights/Weights
http://khsaa.org/football/2013/3abottomroster.pdf

Belfry appears to be a much larger team.... that doesn't mean a whole lot though as we have seen what quickness does...

The RB for Wayne Branham... is a monster though!

6'2 247... Ivan Lee re-incarnated! HAHA
bucslover68 Wrote:Looks like Belfry will be the home team and wear red and will be on the sideline opposite the press box side.

Yes, Belfry should be home team. Was away team last year. I don't understand why we would be on same side we sat last year though.
Crossbones Wrote:Yes, Belfry should be home team. Was away team last year. I don't understand why we would be on same side we sat last year though.

We sat underneath the press box last year and opposite side in 2011.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Just like in last years final where you HAD to complete a pass and you ran play action on long yardage which nobody will ever fall for and didn't come close to completing the 1 man route. That fine passing game. Cost you a ring. I'm rooting for Wayne now because of you fans.

Just an FYI, the pictures are of a 75 TD run in the 2011 state tourney. Had the talent then and Belfry HAS the kids to catch the ball now! With the weather forecast, I don't think there need to be to much passing going on with either team.
Break out the frog togs boys we might need a john boat with a trolling motor to get to the stadium. We might need a sled for back-up!! I'm ready to can't wait!! I wish it would have been a nice football night!!! Whoever looses will blame it on the weather!! I kinda think it will favor belfry if it's a raining mess. That's ok tho it will just make a good game a really good game Wayne by about 7-10 since the weather has set in. I really think Wayne will make some believers but the rain will keep it a lot closer.
Maybe Belfry will make you a believer.
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...vs-Belfrey

Looks like the tale of the tape on these heavyweights are pretty even!!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry appears to be a much larger team.... that doesn't mean a whole lot though as we have seen what quickness does...

The RB for Wayne Branham... is a monster though!

6'2 247... Ivan Lee re-incarnated! HAHA

they didn't run him a lot against Tilman,most the qb and number 22
bucslover68 Wrote:We sat underneath the press box last year and opposite side in 2011.

all 3 yrs I went I sit or stood on the east side
bucslover68 Wrote:We sat underneath the press box last year and opposite side in 2011.

For some reason i thought we sat on side we entered the stadium in. I thought press box an box seats where on other side.
Hope you Pirate Faithful enjoy this.....2 Weeks of Production later and I think this ended up pretty cool. (Big thanks to Belfry0304 for
assisting in the making of this). Best of Luck this weekend, Pirates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CAPPgv-QoE&feature=youtu.be
MCMiner247 Wrote:Hope you Pirate Faithful enjoy this.....2 Weeks of Production later and I think this ended up pretty cool. (Big thanks to Belfry0304 for

Just watched that again for the 5th time...great job! I'm sooo ready for FRIDAY!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have nothing but respect for this Wayne County program. Our middle school played them about a month ago and they were a class act and I believe Coach Thompson's comments reflect that of a class act now that knows exactly what he's dealing with. No Twitter BS, no trash talk, two determined teams who want to leave Bowling Green as champions. Whoever wins Friday, deserves it.

As I think back, I was thinking tonight of myself as a junior in HS watching a middle school game and seeing a young man named Sani Warren absolutely flatten a Letcher County Middle receiver, and jumped up and surrounded by teammates to celebrate, all who clearly loved and respected him. It was at that moment I knew this kid would be special. Win or lose Friday Night, Sani Warren along with EVERY Belfry senior has been special. The things Justin Johnson has overcome and put behind him in the past to be playing the ball that he is right now is admirable, the hard work Trenity Carr has put in all the while battling diabetes, Davontae Dari waiting his turn so patiently and really growing up in the past year, whether you realize it or not you've watched these kids grow up and man I'm proud of what they've grown up to be. The skills they've learned over the past 4 years that culminated in 60 Friday Night Football games are going to carry these individuals throughout their entire lives. I could list a little something about every senior but I'm sure all those kids know how proud of them we are. Win or lose, I won't forget this group.
Also, I don't think I've said this but I meant to... I have absolutely loved the energy of Kaleb Edwards the past few weeks. He has looked like he's got electricity running through him at some points and that's been huge for us.
MCMiner247 Wrote:Hope you Pirate Faithful enjoy this.....2 Weeks of Production later and I think this ended up pretty cool. (Big thanks to Belfry0304 for

wow that was gr8,clear as crystal
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Very, very classy comments by Coach Thompson

http://www.wcoutlook.com/localsports/x12...th-Stadium

Great article and very classy comments by Coach Thompson.

I am however getting very tired of sports writers glaring inaccuracies. First it was USAToday (and everyone else) not including Haywoods 85 and 86 State Title games and only listing him as 6 (at the time). Now it appears one state title game is being left out, I assume Dick Roddy's 1979 team. This article is about the 3rd time I have seem Belfry listed as their 9th appearance when it is actually their 10th.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Great article and very classy comments by Coach Thompson.

I am however getting very tired of sports writers glaring inaccuracies. First it was USAToday (and everyone else) not including Haywoods 85 and 86 State Title games and only listing him as 6 (at the time). Now it appears one state title game is being left out, I assume Dick Roddy's 1979 team. This article is about the 3rd time I have seem Belfry listed as their 9th appearance when it is actually their 10th.

At least they spelled "BELFRY" correct though HAHA

If you are who I think you are after posting this then I want to say I think you are one of my favorite sports photographers I have encountered. Really...really...really enjoy your work man. You have quite the gift.
Belfry0304 Wrote:As I think back, I was thinking tonight of myself as a junior in HS watching a middle school game and seeing a young man named Sani Warren absolutely flatten a Letcher County Middle receiver, and jumped up and surrounded by teammates to celebrate, all who clearly loved and respected him.

The Bourbon thread died down and I forgot to post this,, but you reminded me of what I wanted to say.

Last week Sani had...to be blunt... an awful 1st Half until that final scoring drive. He made uncharacteristic mistakes on both offense and defense that nearly put Belfry in a hole. What I love about Sani though is after he had his second fumble (which he fell on but it ended what had been a successful drive on a 3rd and 1).. you could see him on the sidelines clearly being the leader you want. He wasn't putting his head down and pouting, he was talking himself up as he came to the sideline and immediately went to Haywood to discuss what he was seeing out there.

That last drive, followed by the 2nd Half, were a thing of beauty. On offense he made every single adjustment needed and his reads were impeccable. On the option it looked as if Bourbon was bluffing crashing down on the QB when in actuality they were jumping the pitch man. Sani made one play where he stopped on a dime and faked the pitch..then turned it up field for a key run and at that point you knew Sani had them figured out.

Defensively he played awesome coverage on Johnson after that and in the 2nd Half he was only beat that one time when he recovered to strip the ball on a key 3rd Down that they ruled incomplete. He had what should have been the game clinching INT when he made a beautiful one handed catch on an absolute bullet by Pope that you could hear smack his hand.

Belfry doesn't win without Sani doing what he does best and be a leader. That Wes Wilson photo of Sani going head over heels for a TD is the perfect example of how he plays.. laying it on the line for his team even when he doesn't have to. If Belfry wins Friday Sani is the key... last year he made the big error similar to those in the 1st Half against Bourbon (it was only a small part of why Belfry came up short but uncharacteristic nonetheless)...let's see if 2013 is Sani's 2nd Half work of art and the stamp on his unbelievable career.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The Bourbon thread died down and I forgot to post this,, but you reminded me of what I wanted to say.

Last week Sani had...to be blunt... an awful 1st Half until that final scoring drive. He made uncharacteristic mistakes on both offense and defense that nearly put Belfry in a hole. What I love about Sani though is after he had his second fumble (which he fell on but it ended what had been a successful drive on a 3rd and 1).. you could see him on the sidelines clearly being the leader you want. He wasn't putting his head down and pouting, he was talking himself up as he came to the sideline and immediately went to Haywood to discuss what he was seeing out there.

That last drive, followed by the 2nd Half, were a thing of beauty. On offense he made every single adjustment needed and his reads were impeccable. On the option it looked as if Bourbon was bluffing crashing down on the QB when in actuality they were jumping the pitch man. Sani made one play where he stopped on a dime and faked the pitch..then turned it up field for a key run and at that point you knew Sani had them figured out.

Defensively he played awesome coverage on Johnson after that and in the 2nd Half he was only beat that one time when he recovered to strip the ball on a key 3rd Down that they ruled incomplete. He had what should have been the game clinching INT when he made a beautiful one handed catch on an absolute bullet by Pope that you could hear smack his hand.

Belfry doesn't win without Sani doing what he does best and be a leader. That Wes Wilson photo of Sani going head over heels for a TD is the perfect example of how he plays.. laying it on the line for his team even when he doesn't have to. If Belfry wins Friday Sani is the key... last year he made the big error similar to those in the 1st Half against Bourbon (it was only a small part of why Belfry came up short but uncharacteristic nonetheless)...let's see if 2013 is Sani's 2nd Half work of art and the stamp on his unbelievable career.

Kid is a true leader and doesn't get discouraged, in the first PCC game, the Pirates are down 19 - 0...about the time Sani makes one heck of a play to get the team back into it I get a text from my little bro. Apparently down 19 - 0 playing the worst the Pirates had played all season Sani turns to the crowd and yells "We got this" before the drive, a moment later he puts the team on his back and things turn around. The kid exudes confidence and is a true leader.
Pulling for Wayne to win this, but I believe Belfry gets it in a close one. 24-22.

I agree with a couple in here that I am so glad Central isn't in this game.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:2009 Fort Campbell also belongs on the above list. Also not listed on the KHSAA records.

Teams who have failed at the feat, all undefeated going into the final game

2007 Belfry 3A
2007 Lone Oak 4A
2007 St X 6A

2009 Somerset 3A

2010 Allen County 4A

2011 Mayfield 1A
2011 Glasgow 2A
2011 Scott Co 6A

2012 Fairview *
2012 Pleasure Ridge Park 6A

Undefeated teams are 11 - 10 in State Titles since 2007

2009 Lone Oak was also undefeated going into the 4A Final vs. Boyle.
How many games did Sani start as a freshman?

Is it safe to say that he has started more Belfry football games than any player in BHS history?

Prior to this season I would have said Madison Ghormley because he started as a frosh in 09, and then was a starter in the last 3 championship game seasons minus a couple of games where he had an ankle injury.

Tony Messer from that same class might be in the running for the honor.

Sani also missed a couple of games last season where Taylor filled in at QB.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:How many games did Sani start as a freshman?

Is it safe to say that he has started more Belfry football games than any player in BHS history?

Prior to this season I would have said Madison Ghormley because he started as a frosh in 09, and then was a starter in the last 3 championship game seasons minus a couple of games where he had an ankle injury.

Gary Runyon was also a 4 year starter!
Buc-a-roo Wrote:How many games did Sani start as a freshman?

If I'm not mistaken Ghormley didn't start as a frosh, but Payton Mullins did. I could be wrong though.

If I had to bet I'd pick either Gary Runyon or Mullins as players with the most career starts. Up until Runyon not many players ever started as freshman for the Pirates, and even then as in Sani's case few were fortunate enough to play their careers without injury. There are also many guys who didn't play in as many 14 or 15 game seasons like those guys.

I don't remember those 2 missing very many games, if any.
I'd sure like to see these boys from Pond Creek bring one home.

Good luck Pirates!
I am picking Wayne Co. in a close one, 29-28.
Leonidas Wrote:If I'm not mistaken Ghormley didn't start as a frosh, but Payton Mullins did. I could be wrong though.

If I had to bet I'd pick either Gary Runyon or Mullins as players with the most career starts. Up until Runyon not many players ever started as freshman for the Pirates, and even then as in Sani's case few were fortunate enough to play their careers without injury. There are also many guys who didn't play in as many 14 or 15 game seasons like those guys.

I don't remember those 2 missing very many games, if any.
I think you are right about Mullins/Ghormley.

These seniors have had the opportunity to play 60 games in 4 years.

2013 class has 60 games (Warren)
2012 class had 57 games (Mullins, Ghormley, Messer)
2011 class had 56 games (Runyon)

I can't say how many starts any of those guys missed in their 4 years, but it would be a close race I bet. In a team sport, this isn't very important, but it would be interesting to know the answer.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:I think you are right about Mullins/Ghormley.

These seniors have had the opportunity to play 60 games in 4 years.

2013 class has 60 games (Warren)
2012 class had 57 games (Mullins, Ghormley, Messer)
2011 class had 56 games (Runyon)

I can't say how many starts any of those guys missed in their 4 years, but it would be a close race I bet. In a team sport, this isn't very important, but it would be interesting to know the answer.

My gut feeling is Woolum has the best chance of any to set a record that may not ever be touched.

I think it is a real possibility he may "start" 60 games and see the most wins in school history during that time. Certainly has the least chance of injury between Hall, Bentley, and Horton who all started this season.
Along those same lines of thought, how big of a mental advantage is it for Belfry's upperclassmen to have basically twice as much playoff experience as Wayne Co's? Especially if you consider "big game" playoff experience?

For instance, Belfry's seniors will be playing in their 20th playoff game. 12 of those being regional finals, semi-finals or finals.

Wayne County's seniors will be playing in their 10th playoff game in 4 years. Only 3 of those games have been beyond the 2nd round, and all of those are this year.
  •  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next