Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catchers In The 14th
thats the biggest bunch of bs ive ever heard.....when i was being recruited for college teams kept up with my stats on a weekly basis, and they were very interested on how i performed
I happen to have seen Baker his freshman year and his pop time was around 2.3 so Im guessing he is around the 2-1.9 area now.
Stats do not mean as much to college coaches as arm strength (pop-times, mph on a JUGS) and speed (60 times). If a player can run a 6.4/60 they are going to teach you how to hit, and you will be able to run down fly balls in the outfield. If a pitcher is throwing in the mid-90s a good pitching coach will teach the player good mechanics and get him something off speed to go with it. If a catcher has a 1.9 pop-time, they will teach him to block and frame - and if he only hits .250 they can probably live with that.

A college coach is not going to increase a pitchers fastball from 80 to 95, or make a 7.0/60 kid run a 6.4 - it just doesn't happen. You can't teach God-given skills. You either got-it or you don't. I don't even think that stats rate above a players attitude at the ball park. If a player hustles everywhere he goes once he is on the field, doesn't talk smack, doesn't let one mistake effect the rest of his game (striking out, making an error, etc.), and it appears that they love to play the game. To me, that shows that the player can be coached and they want to be there.

College coaches do not want a head case, or an average player that is a big fish in a small pond that might be difficult to coach. So, if you aren't throwing 90+, running a 6.5/60, or popping a 1.9 consistently - you had better do the little things to impress.
bigE Wrote:thats the biggest bunch of bs ive ever heard.....when i was being recruited for college teams kept up with my stats on a weekly basis, and they were very interested on how i performed
where did you end up playing?
rawlingsfan Wrote:Stats do not mean as much to college coaches as arm strength (pop-times, mph on a JUGS) and speed (60 times). If a player can run a 6.4/60 they are going to teach you how to hit, and you will be able to run down fly balls in the outfield. If a pitcher is throwing in the mid-90s a good pitching coach will teach the player good mechanics and get him something off speed to go with it. If a catcher has a 1.9 pop-time, they will teach him to block and frame - and if he only hits .250 they can probably live with that.

A college coach is not going to increase a pitchers fastball from 80 to 95, or make a 7.0/60 kid run a 6.4 - it just doesn't happen. You can't teach God-given skills. You either got-it or you don't. I don't even think that stats rate above a players attitude at the ball park. If a player hustles everywhere he goes once he is on the field, doesn't talk smack, doesn't let one mistake effect the rest of his game (striking out, making an error, etc.), and it appears that they love to play the game. To me, that shows that the player can be coached and they want to be there.

College coaches do not want a head case, or an average player that is a big fish in a small pond that might be difficult to coach. So, if you aren't throwing 90+, running a 6.5/60, or popping a 1.9 consistently - you had better do the little things to impress.

Exactly. That is what I have been trying to say.
JustTrying-i played at Western Kentucky!!!Go hilltoppers
congrats bigE i also hope to have the chance at playin college ball!!!
Hey baseball dad i dont know about u guys but i can down a diet pepsi in about 1.3.....thats a pretty good pop time dont you think???
14th Champ Wrote:Hey baseball dad i dont know about u guys but i can down a diet pepsi in about 1.3.....thats a pretty good pop time dont you think???

:lmao: Why yes. It is.
bigE Wrote:JustTrying-i played at Western Kentucky!!!Go hilltoppers

WKU has a great program. Congrats on getting to the next level.
14th Champ Wrote:Hey baseball dad i dont know about u guys but i can down a diet pepsi in about 1.3.....thats a pretty good pop time dont you think???
LMFAO:lmao: