Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catchers In The 14th
regardless of how devon was "prepared" the fact remains that he is the best catcher in the 14th hands down. people could even argue that he was the best last year. his technique is spotless, and his fundamentals are second to none. i look for him to have a great year and by this time next year we'll all be talking about what college he's going to play at. i've seen the majority of the catchers in the 14th and thats all im basing my opinion on
bigE Wrote:regardless of how devon was "prepared" the fact remains that he is the best catcher in the 14th hands down. people could even argue that he was the best last year. his technique is spotless, and his fundamentals are second to none. i look for him to have a great year and by this time next year we'll all be talking about what college he's going to play at. i've seen the majority of the catchers in the 14th and thats all im basing my opinion on

Who have you seen?
ive seen the majority including all the ones you've seen and i can tell you that the only one even comes close is baker
bigE Wrote:all i know is that dean should get some credit for how those players were prepared before the new coach arrived. all im talking about is what happened on the field anything else shouldn't be brought up thats slander.

And who are you to know?
I have heard that matt did help Devon a lot, but his father and himself has done most of the work to get him where he is today. I should have stated that about matt out loud. sorry
the only ties that i even have are with dean...i wasn't around to see what happened at their practices im only going on what ive heard from parents and dean himself. i would his dad more to do with it than anybody because for the first 14 years of his life thats probably the only good coaching he knew until high school, so i would agree on that
LOL...im stayin out of this one. All I can say is that i have alot of work left to do. So hopefully Coach Varney can help me out.
right said devon. Hopefully he and his staff will, because you could be one of the best from powell.
i agree good luck this year guys
bigE Wrote:ive seen the majority including all the ones you've seen and i can tell you that the only one even comes close is baker

So, Devon would be #1 and Timmy Baker #2? So, who's #3.
hogg would be number 3 imo
bigE Wrote:hogg would be number 3 imo

Those 3 mentioned, what are their pop times?
im not sure what their pop times are, i didn't have a stop watch? i can tell you regardless of strength of their arms that pelfrey's release time is quicker than any of the three and he also blocks the ball better than any of the three, not too mention his BA as a sophomore
Pelfrey hands down.As for Dean, he did help alot of people.I know a couple of kids that he made good players, that when they came out didn't even have a chance to get a stating spot, and now they are starting and doing well.
bigE Wrote:im not sure what their pop times are, i didn't have a stop watch? i can tell you regardless of strength of their arms that pelfrey's release time is quicker than any of the three and he also blocks the ball better than any of the three, not too mention his BA as a sophomore

Sorry. I keep a stopwatch with me, for various reasons. Anyway, I don't feel that Devon is the best in the region. He's good, but not the best. I feel that Baker and Smith (Knott) are two of the best in the region. Hogg isn't there yet. Devon is well on his way to being a great catcher in the 14th, he's just has to do some more things for me to give him that status.

Baker has a great release and hits very well. I believe Baker's pop times have been in the 2.0-1.9 area. Smith (Knott) has one of the best releases in the region. He can get the ball out of the glove in a hurry. His hitting isn't that bad, either. His pop times are in the area of 2.0-1.9, as well. At a showcase he was at last year, (I was there doing some scouting), to say the least, he impressed a few scouts there. I'm not a scout per se, but I do look for talent in the SE KY region.

There's a lot more to being the best than throwing a ball, blocking, and hitting. You have to be consistent. Devon and Hogg are not consistent on the HS level. We can agree to disagree. But, that's my opinion.
how can you not be consistent if you cant throw, block, or hit. if you cant do any of those things than your just going to consistenly suck....you have given the pop time of baker and smith but not devon. if you have seen him enough to know he's not the best than you should definetely know his pop time right? i have seen the above two mentioned and i can tell you that you might have waited a little long on the stop watch because neither one of them have that good of a pop time!!!!
bigE Wrote:how can you not be consistent if you cant throw, block, or hit. if you cant do any of those things than your just going to consistenly suck....you have given the pop time of baker and smith but not devon. if you have seen him enough to know he's not the best than you should definetely know his pop time right? i have seen the above two mentioned and i can tell you that you might have waited a little long on the stop watch because neither one of them have that good of a pop time!!!!

If I did that, then their pop times would be worse. Rolleyes Average HS pop times are 2.1. Average college pop times are 2.0-1.9. Average Pro pop times are 1.9-1.95. Devon's varied. Baker and Smith both have stayed in the 2.0 to 1.9 range.

You have to be consistant with each, throwing, hitting and blocking. There is so much more to catching than those three things. A catcher has to be the field general. They are the QB of baseball. I have talked with Knott's coach and he lets Smith call most of the pitches. That's what seperates Baker and Smith from the rest in the 14th. Like I said, that's my opinion.
i dont think catchers should call them in high school. the losses reflect the coach and it should ultimately be his final decision. there are exceptions, it all depends on who is your catcher. i agree they have to control the game, but i know for a fact that those two's pop times are not under 2.1, no way...
bigE Wrote:i dont think catchers should call them in high school. the losses reflect the coach and it should ultimately be his final decision. there are exceptions, it all depends on who is your catcher. i agree they have to control the game, but i know for a fact that those two's pop times are not under 2.1, no way...

It does depend who the catcher is. And it is the coach's job to know if his player can call the pitches. There's 8 more players out on that field that have to take care of their position. You can't hang a loss all on the catcher.

Well, bring your stop watch. We'll compare.
LEE CO.'s catcher i dont know his name but he is a good catcher.
theres no comparison to good common sense, go to some college games and then compare those two to what you saw and then maybe you'll see what im saying...when i look at those two catchers and compare them to others in the region i seriously think devon has the potential to compete at the next level and i dont see the other ones.
baseball_dad Wrote:Sorry. I keep a stopwatch with me, for various reasons. Anyway, I don't feel that Devon is the best in the region. He's good, but not the best. I feel that Baker and Smith (Knott) are two of the best in the region. Hogg isn't there yet. Devon is well on his way to being a great catcher in the 14th, he's just has to do some more things for me to give him that status.

Baker has a great release and hits very well. I believe Baker's pop times have been in the 2.0-1.9 area. Smith (Knott) has one of the best releases in the region. He can get the ball out of the glove in a hurry. His hitting isn't that bad, either. His pop times are in the area of 2.0-1.9, as well. At a showcase he was at last year, (I was there doing some scouting), to say the least, he impressed a few scouts there. I'm not a scout per se, but I do look for talent in the SE KY region.

There's a lot more to being the best than throwing a ball, blocking, and hitting. You have to be consistent. Devon and Hogg are not consistent on the HS level. We can agree to disagree. But, that's my opinion.

Baker pop time 2.0 -1.9. what round is he going in???thats a good time.If that was his real time.there is no way that is his pop time.maybe a 2.0-1.9 back to the pitchers mound.as for Pelfrey, idk what else he has to prove to you.He is CONSISTENT and has very few flaws.i mean he isn't perfect, no one is,but he is the closest to perfect in the 14th.No balls got past him in district or Region, maybe even in the STATE SECTIONALS which he helped lead his team to.Hitting is close to 400.what else do you want from him.You must be asking for alot if he hasn't proved anything to you yet.We can agree to disagree. But, that's my opinion
bigE Wrote:i dont think catchers should call them in high school. the losses reflect the coach and it should ultimately be his final decision. there are exceptions, it all depends on who is your catcher. i agree they have to control the game, but i know for a fact that those two's pop times are not under 2.1, no way...

I agree.baseball dad has no idea what he is talking about.
yeh i know
Total Domination Wrote:I agree.baseball dad has no idea what he is talking about.

Guys, I kow what I am talking about. I've been through the recruiting process. I know what a college coach expects. You just can't go on stats alone. The coach wants to see you. He wants to see how the player performs on and off the field. See his demeanor in the dugout and on the field. If he can hit, throw, and field. I don't see Baker going in any round. Those pop times are for real. And I see how Baker and Smith are on the field and off. They are the cream of the crop, IMO.
well then you would obviously have a biast opinion then. ive seen them all and i have no reason to be biast to anyone and im telling you those two couldn't hold a candle to devon...i know what a college coach expects as well, but your the one who started with the stats, if they didn't mean so much then why did you throw them out there llike that, all we did was call you out on them because they were very exaggerated
bigE Wrote:well then you would obviously have a biast opinion then. ive seen them all and i have no reason to be biast to anyone and im telling you those two couldn't hold a candle to devon...i know what a college coach expects as well, but your the one who started with the stats, if they didn't mean so much then why did you throw them out there llike that, all we did was call you out on them because they were very exaggerated

I brought up the pop times, because they are revelant. When it comes to BA, RBI's, runs, and so forth, that doesn't really matter to some coaches. And, I assure you that I'm not exaggerating with these two. I guess we'll see if these two can hold a candle to Devon on April 7th (vs Leslie) and May 11th (vs Knott). And, I'm not biased. I believe what I believe.
what do you mean that stuff doesn't mean much...trust me if you can hit in college they will find somewhere for you to play, i can't believe you think that stuff doesn't matter, thats like saying just because you can't throw ten feet you still might get drafted it just doesn't make sense
bigE Wrote:what do you mean that stuff doesn't mean much...trust me if you can hit in college they will find somewhere for you to play, i can't believe you think that stuff doesn't matter, thats like saying just because you can't throw ten feet you still might get drafted it just doesn't make sense

The stats, not hitting, aren't that important. Here's what I meant. BA - .325. RBI's - 41, Hits - 67. and so on will not be looked at by most college coaches. College coaches are looking for players that can do all well. They want to see what the player does in certain situations. How they throw, how they... do I need to repeat myself.

OK, I'm a college coach(just an example). I have a showcase to go to because a player I'm interested in has stats that are BA - .425, RBI's - 50, Hits - 37, and OBP - .855. Ok, I go to look at this kid. He looks good during the workouts, average speed, nice stroke, quick feet, and fields the ball well. This showcase just so happens to have games in the afternoon. When the kid is in the ballgame he strikes out one time and is thrown out trying to steal 2nd. A bad baserunning decision, on his part. And he makes a couple of bad throws that allowed a couple of runs. Maybe, it's a bad day or, maybe, it's a situation where this kid plays in an area where he's the best that area has, talent wise. So, that's why coaches don't soley rely on a player's stats. That's what I meant.
baseball_dad Wrote:Guys, I kow what I am talking about. I've been through the recruiting process. I know what a college coach expects. You just can't go on stats alone. The coach wants to see you. He wants to see how the player performs on and off the field. See his demeanor in the dugout and on the field. If he can hit, throw, and field. I don't see Baker going in any round. Those pop times are for real. And I see how Baker and Smith are on the field and off. They are the cream of the crop, IMO.

u say you've been through the recruiting process, well wat Major league team did u play for...or wat college team did u play for....or are u just a player or coach or even relative representing this baker kid u talk of????