•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry Central coaching search
Whats the news on the job
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Can someone with any knowledge of the situation say why Holcomb's name keeps pooping up for all of these jobs? I mean I know the plan is for him to stay retired for the rest of the year and return in the Fall at Letcher Central but where there is smoke there is at least some kind of fire and his name has come up A LOT in all of these jobs that have come open.
I don't see the situation at PCC being drastically better for Chapman than it is at Pike County Central, in my opinion.
Halcomb would love to come a lot closer to home and be around his buddy Denny Fugate who is also a teacher at Perry that came from Breathitt when Halcomb was their. Halcomb is supposed to get the AD job at Letcher next year, so Perry will have to come up for a way to pay him to compensate, but I'm sure they will more than do that to get a great big name coach like him. And if they can bring in his old running mate Chapman and throw in Beader too, they will be ready to go.
Wall4president Wrote:Halcomb would love to come a lot closer to home and be around his buddy Denny Fugate who is also a teacher at Perry that came from Breathitt when Halcomb was their. Halcomb is supposed to get the AD job at Letcher next year, so Perry will have to come up for a way to pay him to compensate, but I'm sure they will more than do that to get a great big name coach like him. And if they can bring in his old running mate Chapman and throw in Beader too, they will be ready to go.

Got it. This seems to be the most realistic of the scenarios where his name has been mentioned and it happened a lot quicker with this opening as well. Wow what a mess for LCC that would be, another one and done HFC.
Wall4president Wrote:It wasn't meant as an insult, if I were the coaches left, I would be insulted by the school trying to bring in more than just a head coach, why bring in more assistants too? That was what I was getting at. Coach Jones, Norman, Combs, Willis all should be insulted.

Building a program isn't about making people feel good about themselves.
I promise that this isn't meant to be a shot at anyone.
I'm simply saying that if you're good at your job you shouldn't have to worry about getting feeling insulted when someone else's name comes up.

Chapman coached a state-title worthy defense when he was at Breathitt - Why would anyone question the thought of him coming in when Perry simply hasn't had a defense that could sustain any type of playoff run.
Wall4president Wrote:It wasn't meant as an insult, if I were the coaches left, I would be insulted by the school trying to bring in more than just a head coach, why bring in more assistants too? That was what I was getting at. Coach Jones, Norman, Combs, Willis all should be insulted.

Jones, Norman, Willis, and Pray are still on staff at the high school level. You need more than 4 coaches for high school football, so I don't think it's necessarily an insult more than it is a need for more help. Combs is not coaching high school, he was an assistant with the middle school team last year.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Holcomb and Chapman both may want to get closer to home. Chapman isnt far from retirement either from what I have heard. Them two together will help Perrys program a ton. Perrys assistant coaches are good coaches from what I hear from reliable sources. I really do hope Perry can get a good coach so we can beat their brains out in a couple years. Realy miss the Black Gold Bowl at beating the Commoders.

You better hope for some more transfers then, cause we beat the hell out of your middle school team this year and I don't see much changing. Also, last time Hazard and Perry played each other in the actual black gold bowl was 2004 and we beat their brains out, I remember seeing the Bulldog shuffle start late in the 3rd quarter. Good times.
When things go well it doesn't matter who the coaches are, the kids play the games and put in the hard work in the offseason, in the heat of the summer, and the cold of the winter. If you coach football with an ego, it will rub off on you players and the next thing you know you have a lot of me's and not a family. Put the better of your team before your ego and work hard every day. Every thing else will work its self out!
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Holcomb and Chapman both may want to get closer to home. Chapman isnt far from retirement either from what I have heard. Them two together will help Perrys program a ton. Perrys assistant coaches are good coaches from what I hear from reliable sources. I really do hope Perry can get a good coach so we can beat their brains out in a couple years. Realy miss the Black Gold Bowl at beating the Commoders.

Don't try to get crap started. First of all, you're not a Bulldog. Never have been and never will be. You're a Commodore trying to get something started. Besides everyone will have to have their own fond rememberances of games past because they will not be playing any time soon or maybe ever!
Mark Dixon is who they want if that dont happen I dont see Halcomb or Chapman cant give Halcomb the cash and Chapman made some board people mad a few years back I was told in an interview. Its to me is down to Dixon at Hazard and Al Holland Jr at Pikeville College.
Little Al is not giving up what he has at the college level. No need to come back down to the highschool level and the headaches that come with it. He has got it made.
I have heard that Reid from Union College was asking about the job.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:You better hope for some more transfers then, cause we beat the hell out of your middle school team this year and I don't see much changing. Also, last time Hazard and Perry played each other in the actual black gold bowl was 2004 and we beat their brains out, I remember seeing the Bulldog shuffle start late in the 3rd quarter. Good times.

Perry was 4-7 that year with the teams they beat having a total of 7 wins ( not counting hazard who was 4-7 and Mark Dixons worst year coaching) But Perry didn't win 2006 and lost 28-24. My cousin was a freshmen that year and come in off the bench and made the key tackle to seal hazards win. 2007 Hazard won big time 65-26. My cousin was player of the game with 9 sacks and a total of 13 tackles in the game. 2008 Hazard won a hail mary 22-20. My cousin made two big hits on Jordan Amis and Perry had to give the ball back and which lead to there defeat. ( Game should of been over because PCC had the game and all they had to do was run out the clock.)

Too My knowledge Perry has always had very good middle school teams but once they get to high school its like they under achieve. Hazard kids usually stay about the same from middle school to high school with about the same amount of success.

But hopefully Hazard and Perry can play some football in the up coming years because its very fun and almost always a great game.
ballboy Wrote:Mark Dixon is who they want if that dont happen I dont see Halcomb or Chapman cant give Halcomb the cash and Chapman made some board people mad a few years back I was told in an interview. Its to me is down to Dixon at Hazard and Al Holland Jr at Pikeville College.

Perry has the full court press on for Dixon or the Holcomb / Chapman combo. Hearing there will be offers made & decisions for these coaches to make.
bac2369 Wrote:Perry was 4-7 that year with the teams they beat having a total of 7 wins ( not counting hazard who was 4-7 and Mark Dixons worst year coaching) But Perry didn't win 2006 and lost 28-24. My cousin was a freshmen that year and come in off the bench and made the key tackle to seal hazards win. 2007 Hazard won big time 65-26. My cousin was player of the game with 9 sacks and a total of 13 tackles in the game. 2008 Hazard won a hail mary 22-20. My cousin made two big hits on Jordan Amis and Perry had to give the ball back and which lead to there defeat. ( Game should of been over because PCC had the game and all they had to do was run out the clock.)

Too My knowledge Perry has always had very good middle school teams but once they get to high school its like they under achieve. Hazard kids usually stay about the same from middle school to high school with about the same amount of success.

But hopefully Hazard and Perry can play some football in the up coming years because its very fun and almost always a great game.

In 2004, Perry was literally 3 plays from being 7-4 but that's another story.

2006 was stolen from Perry by officials who are still blackballed from there, and that was one of Perry's worst teams(1-9). 2007 was simply a rout, 2008 was piss poor clock management by PCC. The middle school teams are good, but once they get to high school a lot of the kids get lazy and don't come out for football.
Holcomb was rehired last week at LCC and is scheduled to be the new AD as soon as OZZ's year is completed. I know things can still change, but I'm doubtful there would be a change made at LCC.
blaze9 Wrote:Holcomb was rehired last week at LCC and is scheduled to be the new AD as soon as OZZ's year is completed. I know things can still change, but I'm doubtful there would be a change made at LCC.

It's still the first May, so I really doubt he is under contract yet.
I feel Holcomb and Chapman would make a great team once again. I also feel that both of them together is what the program needs.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:In 2004, Perry was literally 3 plays from being 7-4 but that's another story.

2006 was stolen from Perry by officials who are still blackballed from there, and that was one of Perry's worst teams(1-9). 2007 was simply a rout, 2008 was piss poor clock management by PCC. The middle school teams are good, but once they get to high school a lot of the kids get lazy and don't come out for football.

It ended the way it ended...
but we all know that Hazard was able to dodge Perry during the Matt Robinson era.

All the skulls that would have been cracked...
I'm still upset about it.
zaga_fan Wrote:It ended the way it ended...
but we all know that Hazard was able to dodge Perry during the Matt Robinson era.

All the skulls that would have been cracked...
I'm still upset about it.

They know 2009-2012 would have been repeated beatings. They seen the writing on the walls. Convenient for them to get out then and say 'our kids don't feel safe around Perry's kids'.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:They know 2009-2012 would have been repeated beatings. They seen the writing on the walls. Convenient for them to get out then and say 'our kids don't feel safe around Perry's kids'.

To quote my buddy from over in Harlan County...

It would have been an "emergency room afternoon" for the Dawgs.
That would be nice to see Holcomb in some Red!!!
zaga_fan Wrote:It's still the first May, so I really doubt he is under contract yet.

I was thinking that as well. I have a feeling we will know sooner rather than later, especially if Perry Central is already pursuing the Holcomb/Chapman possibility this strongly.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I was thinking that as well. I have a feeling we will know sooner rather than later, especially if Perry Central is already pursuing the Holcomb/Chapman possibility this strongly.

Everything I've heard leads to it being announced tomorrow.

The team was told last week that they would know in 10 days.
zaga_fan Wrote:Everything I've heard leads to it being announced tomorrow.

The team was told last week that they would know in 10 days.

Oh, wow. That certainly leads one to believe that they have been talking to both of those guys ever since or close to the time that Haddix started getting serious with Corbin. Not a bad move on their part, late in the year coaching changes mean you have to be very proactive and that appears to be the way Perry Central approached it.
This is the part where Perry Central makes up for all the transfers we lost to Breathitt in the mid-2000s.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:This is the part where Perry Central makes up for all the transfers we lost to Breathitt in the mid-2000s.

:thatsfunn
ballboy Wrote:Mark Dixon is who they want if that dont happen I dont see Halcomb or Chapman cant give Halcomb the cash and Chapman made some board people mad a few years back I was told in an interview. Its to me is down to Dixon at Hazard and Al Holland Jr at Pikeville College.

That may be who it is down to in terms of who they want to get, but as far as who they will actually convince to take the job I wouldn't count on either one of those guys being interested.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Oh, wow. That certainly leads one to believe that they have been talking to both of those guys ever since or close to the time that Haddix started getting serious with Corbin. Not a bad move on their part, late in the year coaching changes mean you have to be very proactive and that appears to be the way Perry Central approached it.

Most teams do that.

When Spurlock was on his way out at Sheldon Clark...
I was trying to get it confirmed and called their principal.

He said, "Kevin's still the coach here right now, but if you know a basketball coach that's looking for a job give them my number"
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Oh, wow. That certainly leads one to believe that they have been talking to both of those guys ever since or close to the time that Haddix started getting serious with Corbin. Not a bad move on their part, late in the year coaching changes mean you have to be very proactive and that appears to be the way Perry Central approached it.

Most teams do that.

I were trying to get it confirmed and called someone in their administration.

He said, "Kevin's still the coach here right now, but if you know a basketball coach that's looking for a job give them my number"

But to be honest - when I was told 10 days I assumed that they meant an interim coach. It looks like they're ready to hire, though.
zaga_fan Wrote:Most teams do that.

I was trying to get it confirmed and called their principal.

Most do, but Perry Central's commitment to football (or lack thereof) would lead me to believe that they would be dragging their feet in this process. Obviously I was wrong and that is a good sign for Perry Central football faithful.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next