Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA's Responses To Alignment Changes
Franklin Simpson didn't like something....

We oppose South Warren High School being placed in a 4A district when their
numbers seem to indicate they are clearly a 5A school that is only going to
continue to grow over the next 4 years. Other than that we have no issues.
We would like to know why this is arranged in this manner?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Franklin Simpson didn't like something....

We oppose South Warren High School being placed in a 4A district when their
numbers seem to indicate they are clearly a 5A school that is only going to
continue to grow over the next 4 years. Other than that we have no issues.
We would like to know why this is arranged in this manner?

I've not looked at the numbers and were schools were placed, but I figured it would be more schools that wrote in about issue such as that.
Iam4thecats Wrote:This whole thing got me to thinking about a proposed change to class 1a.
What if class a was by invitation only to the 36 weakest programs in the commonwealth. In lieu of becoming independent like I suggested in the other thread those 36 programs would be divided into 4 districts of 9 teams each, agree to play 8 district games and there would be no playoff at the end of the season at all for class 1a. The programs would be evaluated after a 2 year cycle to see in what order teams would be invited to play in class 1A. A 5 year Calpreps, Massey, Litkenhouse, Cantrall type average would determine the list in order of invitation. A team could elect to pass on the invitation and play in its actual class. All other schools then divided into 4 classes and have playoffs.

District 4
Fulton City
Fulton County
Webster
Hopkins Cen
Caverna
McClean
Todd cen
Breckinridge
Metcalfe

District 3
Dayton
Trimble
Brossart
Shawnee
Atherton
Pendleton
Waggener
Iroquois
Ludlow

District 2
Bracken
Eminence
Clinton
Ft Knox
East Carter
McCreary Cen
Paris
Berea
Jackson

District 1
Phelps
South Floyd
East Ridge
Allen Cen
Knott
Lynn Camp
Paintsville
Maggofin
Jenkins

District 2 and 3 were very difficult to divide geographically. Nothing is perfect and there is travel involved but beggars can't be choosers.

I like the idea but my question would be what about other schools that decide they rather play in this class oppose to trying to to compete for a playoff spot? Using Sheldon Clark for an example, what do you do in a case like that. I'm only using them since they requested to move down. They were winless this season, BUT 5 years ago they were in the state semi finals. Do you allow them to play down in this class just to get their numbers and program back on track? It's several other programs like that around the state such as Casey, Adair, Hart just to name a few I'm familiar with. Also, how would you go about dividing up the rest of the state? Such as how many classes and how would go in each class.

I do like the idea because I believe it will even out the level of competition across the board.
You have to draw the line somewhere and these teams have been worse for longer than Sheldon Clark.
Yes I agree they have been, but not to long ago Metcalfe was a very good program. But I agree that you have to draw a line at some pint. The thought behind this is MAYBE it will help by getting teams numbers up.
footballfever Wrote:That may be some what legit arguement but these proposals arent made public until AFTER the alignment. SO, did Hazard even know Phelps, Pikeville had filed a request.

What I'm saying is this: Doesn't matter if Hazard knew Phelps, Pikeville or any school filed a response. The fact that Hazard DIDN'T make a response "yes we agree" or "no we disagree" speaks volumes. All schools are given the chance to speak their peace. Given a month to respond. 27 schools responded with "no" out of 102 total statewide…that means some schools, including Hazard, failed to respond at all.

If I were on BOC and a school didn't care to say agree or disagree, I'd take the lack of a response as "agreement" and make changes if necessary.
Well I was hoping to see at least one response from one of the teams in our district.
jammin' jamey Wrote:What I'm saying is this: Doesn't matter if Hazard knew Phelps, Pikeville or any school filed a response. The fact that Hazard DIDN'T make a response "yes we agree" or "no we disagree" speaks volumes. All schools are given the chance to speak their peace. Given a month to respond. 27 schools responded with "no" out of 102 total statewide…that means some schools, including Hazard, failed to respond at all.

If I were on BOC and a school didn't care to say agree or disagree, I'd take the lack of a response as "agreement" and make changes if necessary.

It seems pretty natural to not say anything if the plan looks fine. Are they supposed to say "please don't move us back to District 7, or District 6 or District 5 etc...?"

I don't see how that opens it up to "make changes if necessary."
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I can respect Jackson County's honesty though. They are basically admitting that they want to stay in a weaker district because it will help grow their program. It's a parallel to the teams that withdraw form district competition (or at least the proper reason why they should). As it stands now Jackson County is competing for a 3 Seed at best and a road playoff game... if they were with their old district it is not out of the realm of possibilities they could be competing for a District Title with Breathitt's program's issues on the horizon.

The ripple effect of winning..or even competing for a District Title... could have a huge positive role on the growth of their program.

I believe Grant County did something similar.
According to them, they just wouldn't be able to compete with Highlands, (and we all know they wouldn't) so they will probably play independently until things get better.
I believe the whole idea of the 6 class system was that so that a number of teams would be able to compete, thus improve their programs.
HDE Wrote:It seems pretty natural to not say anything if the plan looks fine. Are they supposed to say "please don't move us back to District 7, or District 6 or District 5 etc...?"

I don't see how that opens it up to "make changes if necessary."

I agree. Hazard did the right thing. If they say we want to move then all the haters say you are afraid of Pikeville. If they say we don't want to move then they are afraid of Williamsburg. I think hazard has proven they don't care, let the wise ones put us where they want :popcorn:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If I am a betting man I would say that whoever from Pikeville made the protest didn't realize or think that the general public would be able to see it. Not a good look for the proud Panther program and I am willing to bet most Panther fans on this board are not proud of someone saying this.

That they're not "a fan" of a 5-team district? I am betting no Panther fans want a 5-team district. Pretty sure everyone is quite sure Pikeville dodges no one. Having said that, Pikeville gets an advantage with the current setup. Loser of Hazard/W'burg regular season game will have to play at Pikeville in the second round and then win a rematch of the district game on the road. Pikeville will only play on the road once every two years as long as they take care of business at home. I see a good chance of some Pikeville/Beechwood championship games in the future.:popcorn:
jammin' jamey Wrote:In other words, "we just don't want to play Hazard." :hilarious:

:yawn: But we do want to play Belfry, Prestonsburg, Middlesboro, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark, Swain Co. NC, and on and on...really we don't want to play South Floyd, Jenkins and Phelps.:eyeroll:
jammin' jamey Wrote:In other words, "we just don't want to play Hazard." :hilarious:

Lol! I think the Panthers proved in last years PCB, "we DO want to play Hazard". Don't see Pikeville running from anybody. Just take a look at the schedule.