Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region, 2015
South is a clear-cut No. 1 at this point.
North and Knox are off to slower than expected starts.
Knox does not have the pitching to be a favorite in the region. They have a solid arm but he gets thrown somuch and every outing he ends up throwing 110+ pitches a game, sometimes more. If he doesn't end up with an injury then he'll most likely have dead arm by the time post season comes around. So Iddon't see tthem being a factor at all.
Knox and Middlesboro are both average at best. Knox has played a much tougher schedule than us.. Our schedule will come back to bite us..
We (North) are getting tremendous pitching and our defense has been mostly solid--but our offense has been virtually non-existent. Four of our six losses have been 1-0, 1-0, 2-1 and 2-1. We will be a threat every night because of our arms, but if our bats don't come around we will continue to struggle to get wins.
North has the pitching to beat anyone. I've been surprised at some of the scores though.
Pitching makes North very capable of winning this region. The bats are a huge question mark.
Region13Fan Wrote:Prediction--
South will fall apart by the end of may. Too many good players sitting on the bench

Wrong, This is basically the same team from last year with Jenkins added. Younger Martin, Swafford and Muncy are some of the younger talent that can add help when needed.
JMO, the bats will come alive in the next week or so. Winter weather has put all teams 2 weeks behind. North will be right there to win it all along with south..
OTE=Craze JACKET man;1882185]JMO, the bats will come alive in the next week or so. Winter weather has put all teams 2 weeks behind. North will be right there to win it all along with south..[/QUOTE

Only two of North's losses have been by more than one run. They have a lot to do offensively to catch up with South but they could easily win the region if they can play error-free baseball and eliminate walks. As of right now though, I don't see anyone beating South Laurel and I look for them to atleast be in the semifinals at state. Very fun team to watch play.
by far, the worst baseball I've seen this year is a toss up between Lynn Camp and Williamsburg.............. Anyone that wants a chance to tackle a challenge of turning that program around, get your applications in now. Would be a challenge but also a rewarding one! They have some young talent from Soph down to 7th grade, but someone has to want to work w/ them and put for the time and effort to practice baseball.
Only 4 teams in the region with a winning record as of last night - South Laurel, Clay County, Middlesboro and Harlan County.
North got on the right side of .500 last night at 9-8 by easily beating Clay at Clay 10-3. Logan Mallory held them to one run over five and hit a two-run dinger. If North can get the bats going, they will have a legit shot. Schedule has been tough, and the next four are at South tonight, then Hazard, Southwestern and Knox Central all at Knox Central this weekend. Would expect both teams tonight to keep it sorta close to the vest, and not throw anyone they might throw in a regional tournament matchup.
We caught the North games at Richmond last week end, they were right in those games against ranked teams. Won one and lost two. A friend said the sleeping bats came alive at Clay County last evening 10-3. I think they are dangerous for any team thinking they will be a cake walk when they play them. There pitching is as good as any team out there we have seen play this year.
I'd still rank North second in the region behind South. I don't think anyone would consider them a cakewalk.

After seeing Middlesboro last night, I think John Smith is in line for coach of the year at this point. They start four freshmen from what I remember as an average middle school team last year and have one of the best records in the region.
Harlan County has also exceeded expectations to this point after being hit pretty hard by graduation the past two years. It should be an interesting weekend series with the Jackets and Bears.
North Laurel beat South Laurel tonight 5-3. Messer pitched 5 innings.....Sophomore lefty finished 2 innings.
Blitzer Wrote:North Laurel beat South Laurel tonight 5-3. Messer pitched 5 innings.....Sophomore lefty finished 2 innings.

Game was played at South Laurel. Neal (Univ of TN. Signee)..pitched for South.
1. South
2. North

3. Clay
3. HCHS
5. Middlesboro
6. Corbin
7. Whitley
8. KC
9. Bell
10. Harlan

11. Barbourville
12. Jackson County
13. Williamsburg
14. Pineville
15. Lynn Camp
16. OBI
17. Red Bird
I like most of that. Clay and Whitley just a little to high. North and South is by far the best.
1. South
2. North

3. Knox
4. HCHS
5. Corbin
6. Whitley
7. Middlesboro
8. Clay
9. Bell
10. Harlan

11-17, same as HCS
Not sure how u can rank clay #8. Beat Knox twice, beat Corbin and run ruled Whitley. Clay and Middleaboro are both ahead of Corbin and Whitley.
Yeah, I agree. Clay and Middlesboro are too low. Plus, HCHS beat Knox 10-0.
North an South Laurel have always had great teams.
Rankings mean absolutely 0. Let's get to the Region and then we can see a little clearer how things might unfold. Several teams are having injuries to key players. Let it be determined on the field, not on paper or certainly not by the experts on this board.
:blabbermo
It's always determined on the field.
Rankings are always for the fans and for fun, which is kind of the point of the entire board. If you couldn't speculate about what might/could/should happen, there would be no Bluegrass Rivals or anything like it.
I heard there are athletes moving within the 52nd District..
Paul Crewe Wrote:1. South
2. North

3. Knox
4. HCHS
5. Corbin
6. Whitley
7. Middlesboro
8. Clay
9. Bell
10. Harlan

11-17, same as HCS

Well lets take a look at what is left. Not to far off from what I predicted earlier, Harlan was underestimated all year and big time in district tournament by both MHS and HCHS along with myself. Clay was the one I really missed, they are should go above Whitley. Middlesboro and Whitley right where I put them or lower. But not bad prediction for that time of year. South , North and Knox. Harlan has run their course and congratulations on a great season by them.
Baseballfreak999 Wrote:Not sure how u can rank clay #8. Beat Knox twice, beat Corbin and run ruled Whitley. Clay and Middleaboro are both ahead of Corbin and Whitley.

My reason was at the time, Middlesboro beat them twice and Middlesboro was not that good. So Clay did prove me wrong, i missed them by about 2-3 spots. I put them right with Corbin as Corbin played well late.