Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th region, 2015
Any info on who that might be Playmaker? They are already loaded, don't know where anybody would play except maybe one outfield spot. And of course you can never have enough pitching.
What if the Williamsburg Yellow Jackets have some of the athletes that played football and are now playing basketball come out and play baseball along w/ their young talent? That might mix some things up in the 13th???
I wouldn't think so
You don't just show up after two or three years away and excel at baseball. Good luck trying to hit some the pitching from North or South. You can't steal first base.
no wouldnt happen. not if they have not played for several years. It probably make them better but wouldnt make anything any diff for the top teams in the 13th
I hear the boy from Harlan that plays for W-burg (can't remember his name.) is playing baseball. I was told it was his favorite, and possible best sport.
I'm also hearing that Corbin has lost a lot more players than expected, and are having to bring up 4-5 middle school kids. They only have one middle school kid that might contribute any at all. So if they are logging many varsity innings, it could be a really long year for Corbin. Should be a 2 horse race with North and South, and Whitley could be the sleeper team. I want to say Knox, but they have underachieved for so long I can't pick them.
Knox will be a very solid team all around. In my opinion they have one of if not the best pitching rotation in the region. If they can get their bats rolling they will be a tough game for anybody
fairgame Wrote:I hear the boy from Harlan that plays for W-burg (can't remember his name.) is playing baseball. I was told it was his favorite, and possible best sport.

Fred can run, but I seriously doubt he is a better baseball player than football after not playing since Senior League.
I have no clue about Fred. Was just told that by someone from Whitley County. They may have just been hoping that he was that good of a baseball player.
not sure about Fred, and his ability to play baseball, but we will welcome all tht want to play... We need our athletic players to come out.....

heard Whitley had a stud transfer? Anyone like to comment???
HCS Wrote:You don't just show up after two or three years away and excel at baseball. Good luck trying to hit some the pitching from North or South. You can't steal first base.
give me 5 good hitters and 5 good pitchers and I'll take the hitters every time. The faster the ball when you got a kid that can hit, the further than ball is going to go.
This isnt LL, pitchers dont rely on just trying to blow you away with a fastball. If they do, they wont last long. Good pitchers change speed, hit spots ect...
Dont get me wrong, good hitters are at a premium at most schools. A solid staff will keep you in games.
Number One Fan Wrote:give me 5 good hitters and 5 good pitchers and I'll take the hitters every time. The faster the ball when you got a kid that can hit, the further than ball is going to go.

Pitchers have always dominated over hitters and always will. Good pitching and a solid defense will always prevail over a predominantly hitting team. There has never been a mediocre defensive team win a state title, and there has also never been a team win a state title without at least two dominant shutdown pitchers. However, there have been several teams win with an average to below average offense.
Number One Fan Wrote:give me 5 good hitters and 5 good pitchers and I'll take the hitters every time. The faster the ball when you got a kid that can hit, the further than ball is going to go.

DO WHAT??

:HitWall:

I will take the pitching and be playing weeks after your season is over over.
The truth is that any descent coach can manufactor a couple runs during a game, especially at the high school level. That however, becomes extremely more difficult when you have a solid defense and a lights out pitcher. There is just no logic to say that hitting supercedes pitching and defense.
Just my opinion. No this isn't LL but its not the MLB either. A strong defense makes more sense than just relying on a pitcher.
The best mountain teams of the recent years, Johnson Central, South Laurel, North Laurel, Hazard, have been deep and talented on the mound. And it is that way basically everywhere. The successful teams don't give up a lot of unearned runs, and don't have to rely on one stud pitcher, they can win without a big offensive game. On the other hand, high-powered offensive teams better still be able to catch it and have at least some quality pitching if they want to make a deep postseason run.
Like I said, a pitcher better have a good defense. If you have a team that has heavy hitters, I'll take them every time.
Number One Fan Wrote:Just my opinion. No this isn't LL but its not the MLB either. A strong defense makes more sense than just relying on a pitcher.

A strong defense and a dominant pitcher go hand in hand. A dominant pitcher doesn't need to throw mid-90's. In reality, pitchers that try to over power hitters usually end up losing that battle. A quality high school pitcher can throw 79 mph if he throws strikes and can trust his defense. Good defenses in-turn create quality pitchers by making the routine plays. consistently. Which goes back to what I originally said, a solid defense and quality pitchersare usually one in the same. If you take a team that leads the state in batting averages and home runs that doesn't consistently make routine plays up against a team that is mediocre at-best offensively but can throw strikes and make routine plays, then you will always end up with a low scoring game with the latter of the two having an advantage. That is generally the reason why state championship games are either close low scoring games or ten run blowouts. A great example of this is when Lawrence county made that great run in 08'. After the first round game they were overmatched on paper in the semi's and especially the title game. However, against Catholic they had a pitcher that ate-up the outside corner and their defense didn't make a mistake, which led to a shutout against a more talented team. In the finals they began the game giving up 2 unearned runs because of walks. However, the rest of the game they were very efficient defensively. Unfortunately, PRP had a division 1 commit on the mound and he threw a great game against them. Even though on paper they should have been blown out playing against a college team with over 2,000 more students in their school, their fundamentally sound defense and smart play kept them in the game and still had a chance to win in the final innings. LC had one scholarship division 1 player on that team and he was only a freshman at the time still throwing low to mid 80's. It was a very good example of what can happen when you stress fundamentals and throwing strikes. That same Catholic team they shutout ended up winning the state title the following year.
I'm curious Number one Fan, have you ever seen The Final Season movie? Talks about how a program in Iowa that's literally in the cornfield. Teaches fundamentals, never had the most talent in the state, but won a state title I believe 20 times or so. Look in the pros, guys are lucky to hit 300. There's more and more no-hitters/perfect games. Everyone knows that pitching prevails over hitting. Hazard in the state tourney threw the Kumbow kid hitting about 74-76 and they Played right with Simon Kenton all game.
In years past, baseball has been an after thought, however, with the young talent that Williamsburg has, plus adding in the mix of some senior talent that were plagued by injury, not to mention some of the athletes deciding to come out.. this could make for an exciting All A tournament for the boys in Orange, Black, White, & now a Charcoal Grey???? Anyways, they have a crop of freshman & sophemores that have played a lot of baseball, along w/ the athletic talent mixed w/ the Seniors that have played some baseball in the past, could make this something to watch as well.
baller1989 Wrote:In years past, baseball has been an after thought, however, with the young talent that Williamsburg has, plus adding in the mix of some senior talent that were plagued by injury, not to mention some of the athletes deciding to come out.. this could make for an exciting All A tournament for the boys in Orange, Black, White, & now a Charcoal Grey???? Anyways, they have a crop of freshman & sophemores that have played a lot of baseball, along w/ the athletic talent mixed w/ the Seniors that have played some baseball in the past, could make this something to watch as well.

Are you referring to the Williamsburg team that went 3-24 last year?
I'm just saying, teams like what the Jackets will put out on the field are scary for teams that don't consider them as being a challenge? The lower classman have played a lot of baseball. They need some pitching for sure. They have potential at the plate, but with the late start for players that played on the basketball team, it will be a work in progress, but look out. Just hope that it comes in a hurry for the All A.....
Bell county have anything? Clay just lost to middlesboro! Maybe middlesboro will open some eyes! South/North Monster teams with massive talent
baller1989 Wrote:I'm just saying, teams like what the Jackets will put out on the field are scary for teams that don't consider them as being a challenge? The lower classman have played a lot of baseball. They need some pitching for sure. They have potential at the plate, but with the late start for players that played on the basketball team, it will be a work in progress, but look out. Just hope that it comes in a hurry for the All A.....

That would be a remarkable turnaround. I wish them luck. Baseball is a funny game and anything is possible. Like Yogi would say, "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical."
Prediction--
South will fall apart by the end of may. Too many good players sitting on the bench
You have a team that is not happy with the way things are going - playing time, rotation of pitchers, just basically unhappy players etc. and the mental part of baseball takes over, seen it happen to a lot of good teams over the years - mind over matter every time! For a team to develop that mental toughness, it doesn’t happen overnight & in HS baseball there usually isn't time to get it if there are problems lurking on the team. It’s a skill that needs to be honed like any other skill.
Region13Fan Wrote:Prediction--
South will fall apart by the end of may. Too many good players sitting on the bench

Don't see how that's possible. They returned seven starters, added the Jenkins kid, and their jv team was really weak last year, the only ones that looked like they might ever be solid high school players were the younger Martin kid and the Swafford kid, so I don't see where this talent would be. Who are you referring to?