Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region 2015
Joneslab Wrote:Care to share his name or at least his high school? Throwing 90 is no easy feat! I've witnessed very few during my time playing and watching high school baseball that could hit that mark.

I'm not trying to be negative but I don't see anyone touching 90 mph this year in the 15th. The only way I see that is if maybe they did a couple huge crowhops over the mound. Even that isn't a guarantee. You do not need 90 mph in high school to be a great pitcher.
We are always talking about Paintsville and their potential. These kids that were supposed to save athletics at PHS just aren't getting it done. They can't even get out of the district in baseball or basketball. Was hoping they had finally turned the corner in football. Then I saw the Pikeville score. Until they step it up and win something significant, let's back off these #1 projections based on their potential.
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm not trying to be negative but I don't see anyone touching 90 mph this year in the 15th. The only way I see that is if maybe they did a couple huge crowhops over the mound. Even that isn't a guarantee. You do not need 90 mph in high school to be a great pitcher.

Movement, location and the ability to change speeds are much more important at the high school level. Combine that with a 80moh fastball and most high school pitchers are going to win a lot of games. But throwing the :flame: is always going to get more attention from the stands.
Joneslab Wrote:Movement, location and the ability to change speeds are much more important at the high school level. Combine that with a 80moh fastball and most high school pitchers are going to win a lot of games. But throwing the :flame: is always going to get more attention from the stands.

I agree and around the state there are only a few throwing 90, but none in eastern KY.

I'd be curious to know if anyone in the 15th even knows what 90 mph looks like? I very very seriously doubt it. And I'm not talking about feltner or miller or prieode standing 15 feet behind a L-screen throwing at you? I mean a true 90 mph fastball from a pitcher.
baseball1974 Wrote:I agree and around the state there are only a few throwing 90, but none in eastern KY.

I'd be curious to know if anyone in the 15th even knows what 90 mph looks like? I very very seriously doubt it. And I'm not talking about feltner or miller or prieode standing 15 feet behind a L-screen throwing at you? I mean a true 90 mph fastball from a pitcher.

In he last 12 years in the 15th region, only Chandler Shepherd, Matt Fyffe, Chase Huffman, Tyler Blanton, and Jacob Hamilton have hit it, and that's it. All but Shepherd were seniors as well. Steve Blevins from Lawrence Co. hit it when he was a senior in '05, but they were in the 16th at that time. Adam Blanton, Scott Little, and (his name is not coming to me, but he went from Lawrence to Pikeville his senior year, I think around 2010-2011 ) came close , but not quite...The ones that did hit it were not working in that range, but did hit it on an occasion..
I believe you're referring to Sam Burton, Seger. There's been very few pitchers from the 15th that could touch 90 mph, let alone pitch at 90. Looking at the list BS gave I couldn't really think of any other pitchers that could throw 90 mph.
As it always is around this part of the state, and everywhere for that matter, velocity is a bit exaggerated. It's very helpful to be able to throw overpoweringly hard, but it's not everything. I've seen some guys that throw upper 80's and low 90's get their shins knocked off because they couldn't place it and had below average off-speed stuff.
Pupaw Wrote:I believe you're referring to Sam Burton, Seger. There's been very few pitchers from the 15th that could touch 90 mph, let alone pitch at 90. Looking at the list BS gave I couldn't really think of any other pitchers that could throw 90 mph.
As it always is around this part of the state, and everywhere for that matter, velocity is a bit exaggerated. It's very helpful to be able to throw overpoweringly hard, but it's not everything. I've seen some guys that throw upper 80's and low 90's get their shins knocked off because they couldn't place it and had below average off-speed stuff.

One thing you need to remember about his post is when he said "they touched 90," maybe one or two could consistently get there but the majority of those guys pitched in the 86-88 range. I think if Shepherd wouldn't have been derailed by surgery he could've worked in the low 90's consistently by his senior year. Fyffe could only get close in full motion windup. Put him in the stretch and he fell down to 84-86 range. I haven't heard of anyone getting to that point this year? I know LC had a kid last year that LC claimed was upper 80's, but I never had the opportunity to see him pitch? Was that accurate?
Pupaw Wrote:I believe you're referring to Sam Burton, Seger. There's been very few pitchers from the 15th that could touch 90 mph, let alone pitch at 90. Looking at the list BS gave I couldn't really think of any other pitchers that could throw 90 mph.
Yep, that's who I was meaning.Thanks Pupaw.
baseball1974 Wrote:One thing you need to remember about his post is when he said "they touched 90," maybe one or two could consistently get there but the majority of those guys pitched in the 86-88 range. I think if Shepherd wouldn't have been derailed by surgery he could've worked in the low 90's consistently by his senior year. Fyffe could only get close in full motion windup. Put him in the stretch and he fell down to 84-86 range. I haven't heard of anyone getting to that point this year? I know LC had a kid last year that LC claimed was upper 80's, but I never had the opportunity to see him pitch? Was that accurate?

Nobody that could top 83, but Wallen had an exceptional year hitting his spots with a good breaking ball.
baseball1974 Wrote:One thing you need to remember about his post is when he said "they touched 90," maybe one or two could consistently get there but the majority of those guys pitched in the 86-88 range. I think if Shepherd wouldn't have been derailed by surgery he could've worked in the low 90's consistently by his senior year. Fyffe could only get close in full motion windup. Put him in the stretch and he fell down to 84-86 range. I haven't heard of anyone getting to that point this year? I know LC had a kid last year that LC claimed was upper 80's, but I never had the opportunity to see him pitch? Was that accurate?

Shepherd has been the hardest thrower consistently that I've seen in the 15th with Steve Blevins probably coming in a close 2nd. Again at that time LC was in the 16th, but who cares on that. Stevie was good.

In the late 90's and early 00's you could throw John Bevins and Chas Harmon into the discussion.

I know what he meant by it. He's right about the name's he gave though, after you asked if anyone in the 15th had ever seen 90 mph. Did you mean to ask if anyone in the 15th had ever seen a pitcher that worked consistently at 90 mph?
And as for last year there was probably a handful of kids that worked low 80's. With an 8th grader being able to run it up around 85 or so (aside from Hamilton).
If the players develop like they should during the off-season there may be couple of arms that will work in the 84-86 range this year, possibly.
Pupaw Wrote:I know what he meant by it. He's right about the name's he gave though, after you asked if anyone in the 15th had ever seen 90 mph. Did you mean to ask if anyone in the 15th had ever seen a pitcher that worked consistently at 90 mph?
And as for last year there was probably a handful of kids that worked low 80's. With an 8th grader being able to run it up around 85 or so (aside from Hamilton).
If the players develop like they should during the off-season there may be couple of arms that will work in the 84-86 range this year, possibly.
Actually I think that Rice may be the hardest throwing returner that I saw readings on. As far as topping out anyways.
Bob Seger Wrote:Actually I think that Rice may be the hardest throwing returner.

I only saw him pitch once last year, I was thinking 83-84 but I could be wrong.
Pupaw Wrote:I only saw him pitch once last year, I was thinking 83-84 but I could be wrong.

Saw 86.
Bob Seger Wrote:Saw 86.

I stand corrected. I heard that he had a great summer as well playing for Post 76. Should be a strong ace for the Tigers.
Pupaw Wrote:I know what he meant by it. He's right about the name's he gave though, after you asked if anyone in the 15th had ever seen 90 mph. Did you mean to ask if anyone in the 15th had ever seen a pitcher that worked consistently at 90 mph?

No I meant this group of 15th players. JC Paintsville and JC all had some awesome throwers throughout the years. Several that have hit that point. The main thing I was getting at was the ease that people throw around that number like its not a difficult thing to do. I remember I was at a tournament once and a group of high school kids were behind me and they all started talking about how fast the pitcher in the game was throwing. It started at 88 and I think finally ended at 93 mph? Well I went over and spoke with a college scout around the 7th inning because I knew he couldn't have been hitting anything close. Well sure enough he only hit 82 twice and was working around 78-80. It just amazes me sometimes thats all.
Pupaw Wrote:I stand corrected. I heard that he had a great summer as well playing for Post 76. Should be a strong ace for the Tigers.

Score three runs and add a guy throwing 86 in the 15th and you can win region
baseball1974 Wrote:No I meant this group of 15th players. JC Paintsville and JC all had some awesome throwers throughout the years. Several that have hit that point. The main thing I was getting at was the ease that people throw around that number like its not a difficult thing to do. I remember I was at a tournament once and a group of high school kids were behind me and they all started talking about how fast the pitcher in the game was throwing. It started at 88 and I think finally ended at 93 mph? Well I went over and spoke with a college scout around the 7th inning because I knew he couldn't have been hitting anything close. Well sure enough he only hit 82 twice and was working around 78-80. It just amazes me sometimes thats all.

Buddy I'm right there with you. It's comical to be honest.
baseball1974 Wrote:No I meant this group of 15th players. JC Paintsville and JC all had some awesome throwers throughout the years. Several that have hit that point. The main thing I was getting at was the ease that people throw around that number like its not a difficult thing to do. I remember I was at a tournament once and a group of high school kids were behind me and they all started talking about how fast the pitcher in the game was throwing. It started at 88 and I think finally ended at 93 mph? Well I went over and spoke with a college scout around the 7th inning because I knew he couldn't have been hitting anything close. Well sure enough he only hit 82 twice and was working around 78-80. It just amazes me sometimes thats all.
Yeh, I know what you mean...The hardest thrower in high school that I have seen has been Chaz Roe. I gunned him for a whole game at Lafayette with him going into his senior season for a group of scouts (too crowded behind the backstop for everyone , so they just took my readings)...He dropped below 90 only three times the whole game (and that was still at 89), other than breaking balls, and hit 95 in the 7th. Of course he ended up being a 1st round draft pick too...Nobody that I have ever seen has ever been anywhere close to that.....Anybody that has seen 95 up close can tell you that it is light years away from 90 too...100mph and plus just boggles my mind.

Amazing stat for Roe in that game is he had 15Ks, gave up one hit, but got beat, 1-0.
baseball1974 Wrote:Score three runs and add a guy throwing 86 in the 15th and you can win region

I agree, but what if the team you're playing has a guy that can do the same thing? I think between Paintsville and JC this upcoming season you will see 5-6 kids that can at least hit it.
Bob Seger Wrote:Yeh, I know what you mean...The hardest thrower in high school that I have seen has been Chaz Roe. I gunned him for a whole game at Lafayette with him going into his senior season for a group of scouts (too crowded behind the backstop for everyone , so they just took my readings)...He dropped below 90 only three times the whole game (and that was still at 89), other than breaking balls, and hit 95 in the 7th. Of course he ended up being a 1st round draft pick too...Nobody that I have ever seen has ever been anywhere close to that.....Anybody that has seen 95 up close can tell you that it is light years away from 90 too...100mph and plus just boggles my mind.

Amazing stat for Roe in that game is he had 15Ks, gave up one hit, but got beat, 1-0.

Chaz was a special talent. If I'm not mistaken that same thing happened to Fyffe? Maybe against rowan or somebody like that? Didn't he throw a no-hitter and get beat? Maybe a walk and a few past balls?
Bob Seger Wrote:I agree, but what if the team you're playing has a guy that can do the same thing? I think between Paintsville and JC this upcoming season you will see 5-6 kids that can at least hit it.

That will be a great matchup then. There is a huge difference in a flat 86 mph fastball and a 80 mph fastball that moves. I'd rather have the latter myself. In the 15th it doesn't matter too much but once they get out of the 15th that flat fastball will get crushed.
Wasn't there a kid in maybe the late 90's or something like that from JC that could get it up there?
baseball1974 Wrote:Chaz was a special talent. If I'm not mistaken that same thing happened to Fyffe? Maybe against rowan or somebody like that? Didn't he throw a no-hitter and get beat? Maybe a walk and a few past balls?
Matt had 20 strikeouts in the game against Rowan, and lost. I don't think he gave up a hit either. Seems like an errand throw from the catcher was what did him in. lol
Pupaw Wrote:Matt had 20 strikeouts in the game against Rowan, and lost. I don't think he gave up a hit either. Seems like an errand throw from the catcher was what did him in. lol

Gave up one hit...I cant remember what happened in the game , but Coach Hall was ejected for some reason and had to sit out the next game against Paintsville.. In that game Justin Blanton had 15 strike outs and got beat as well....35 K's in two straight games and you go 0-2....lol
baseball1974 Wrote:Wasn't there a kid in maybe the late 90's or something like that from JC that could get it up there?

Heath Castle graduated in '00..Is that who you're thinking about?
Bob Seger Wrote:Heath Castle graduated in '00..Is that who you're thinking about?

Yes that is exactly who I'm talking about. How hard did he throw?
How many teams in the 15th are playing games this fall?
I believe the 15th Region will be one of the most competitive regions in the state this year.
No fall schedule for Lawrence County this year.