Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Favorite
baseballfan Wrote:I aint saying there got to win the 15th but there team is going to be stronger this year and there going to have a better chance of making the 15th than they ever had. They will have a tougher schedule than they had last year. To make thier team a little bit better

I would hope the schedule is harder than the last couple of years. It sure can't get any easier.
i think lawrence county will surprize everbody
wildcat_22 Wrote:i think lawrence county will surprize everbody
No surprises from LC next season. They will start the season at the top and will be one of the main contenders.
Prep Star Wrote:No surprises from LC next season. They will start the season at the top and will be one of the main contenders.

How can you say that LC will start out on top when Paintsville only lost a RF an 1st off the thie regional Finals team. Which both should already be filled by two more great players. Paintsville lost zero pitching. It should be the Tigers District to loose. Which JC and LC should have something to say about that.
true but lc only lost a 1B
OffTheHook Wrote:How can you say that LC will start out on top when Paintsville only lost a RF an 1st off the thie regional Finals team. Which both should already be filled by two more great players. Paintsville lost zero pitching. It should be the Tigers District to loose. Which JC and LC should have something to say about that.

Don't count out SC, they seem to always find replacements.
OffTheHook Wrote:How can you say that LC will start out on top when Paintsville only lost a RF an 1st off the thie regional Finals team. Which both should already be filled by two more great players. Paintsville lost zero pitching. It should be the Tigers District to loose. Which JC and LC should have something to say about that.
Lets date back to the end of May. Paintsville reached the region tourny with a win over Magoffin and then secure theirselves to play a runner up by beating Sheldon Clark. They got into the region finals with wins against P'burg(I think it was) and East Ridge only to lose to SC. Lawrence lost a heartbreaker to SC who was lead my some emotionally charged seniors. 1-9 hitters from LC were better and the top 3 pitchers from both teams would go to LC as well. I watched both Paintsville and LC probably 5 times each last year and I believe that Lawrence has the better team coming back. Although I think PHS did stomp em during the season last year though. But stuff like that happends, look at SC. Hell, won the region when in all realitly they should have gotten out of the district.
I wonder how Shelby Valley will be this year?
Prep Star Wrote:Lets date back to the end of May. Paintsville reached the region tourny with a win over Magoffin and then secure theirselves to play a runner up by beating Sheldon Clark. They got into the region finals with wins against P'burg(I think it was) and East Ridge only to lose to SC. Lawrence lost a heartbreaker to SC who was lead my some emotionally charged seniors. 1-9 hitters from LC were better and the top 3 pitchers from both teams would go to LC as well. I watched both Paintsville and LC probably 5 times each last year and I believe that Lawrence has the better team coming back. Although I think PHS did stomp em during the season last year though. But stuff like that happends, look at SC. Hell, won the region when in all realitly they should have gotten out of the district.

And your point is? All you did was state everything that happened last year. As for SC they had a descent team last year and played good baseball at the end when it counted. Which is what it takes. Like I said earlier. The District should be Paintsville's to loose. But, everyone knows that JC and LC, will be doing everything they can to take it themselves. As always the 57th is IMO the toughest in the 15th. JMO!
This could very well be the best offensive team Paintsville has had in a number of years, they lost no pitching, you do the math.
Prep Star Wrote:JC, Paintsville, Lawrence County will be the top 3 teams going in this season. In that order too. Thing is there all in the same district.

What about Pikeville
what bout Mckineze(sp) from Pikeville,he is a pitcher
Im going with Paintsville
Pikeville should be able to contend with anybody in the region. They are always tough year in and year out.
I'll take Paintsville.
LC will be hungry this year! They lost 0 pitchers and the strong hitters are all returning. I did my math...
paintsville should take the 15th with no problems. they lost 2 people. they where key but we have lots of younger pple copmming up. they didnt lose any pitching so with that will help them. i say LC and JC will also have a good run but wil come up short.
brown14 Wrote:paintsville should take the 15th with no problems. they lost 2 people. they where key but we have lots of younger pple copmming up. they didnt lose any pitching so with that will help them. i say LC and JC will also have a good run but wil come up short.
Paintsville, Johnson Central and Lawrence Co all will have problems even getting out of the district if they should draw one another. Johnson Central also only lost 2 players as well, and lost zero pitching. Lawrence Co. lost nobody and obviously lost zero pitching as well.
As long as the 57th draws some good team will be home listening to the region on the radio.
rooster Wrote:Your dead wrong there pal. Carter did have some hamstring problems last year, but he knows how to pitch. Both Anderson and Carter are both much more mentaly able to work the craft.

If you are a coach trying to win a regional championship you go with your best in the opening round especially if it is against one of the most aviable contenders as Sheldon Clark was, and that is exactly what Lawson did when going with Anderson.

Face it Huffman had a terrible year from start to finish.
well i dont know if u went to any of the games this yr but i def. did and the carter i saw was inconsistent and im sorry but wild...there were times when i saw pikevilles catcher having to call time because of the wild pitches going every which way. Im not saying carter isnt a good pitcher bc he is but he is inconsistent and i would have huffman or anderson b4 carter any day...in fact to my knowledge i think thats why he was the #3 guy last yr behind huffman/anderson...

and as for huffman his scholarship to a D-1 college is evidence enough of how good that guy was...
and another thing...about the pitching move last yr, sc showed they struggled against movement all yr so thats lawson's move which was a good one...earlier in the yr when huffman pitched against sc pikeville 10 run-ruled them so huffman and anderson were both qualified to beat sc but lawson went with movement...pitching didnt beat pikeville that day...pikeville just couldnt hit...i dont think any of there top 4 hitters got a hit...thats why they got beat...
Our hornet team will be a surprise to everyone I believe. They are working hard in the off season. I look forward to an exciting year.. Coach Gibson at Magoffin has done a great job building this team. He still has plenty of youth but they are maturing.

Cant wait to hear the crack of the bat:Thumbs:
The Eagles have the best player, in the region and area in Justin Blanton. That combined with the pitching of Matt Fyfe, Micky Conley, and the rest of the staff it doesn't matter Johnson Central will win it all. State BOUND this year!!
Throwback Gata Black Wrote:The Eagles have the best playa, in the region and area in Justin Blanton. That combined with the pitching of Matt Fyfe, Micky Conley, and the rest of the staf it doesn't matter Johnson Centrel will win it all. State BOUND this year!!
I dunno, but Paintsville really liked Fyffe's and Blanton's pitching last year.
I will go with :
1) Paintsville
2) Johnson Central
3) Pikeville
4) Lawrence County
5) Allen Central
Why does the 57th continue to "draw" for District Tournament pairings? I want someone to give me a "real" answer. Why is this even a choice?
The Guru Wrote:I dunno, but Paintsville really liked Fyffe's and Blanton's pitching last year.
I will go with :
1) Paintsville
2) Johnson Central
3) Pikeville
4) Lawrence County
5) Allen Central
I think they just saw them only the one time last season, like in the second week of the season. If I remember correctly Fyffe did beat Paintsville his sophomore year and pitched well against them when he was a freshman. After that first game last year Blanton just gave up something like only 3 or 4 more earned runs the rest of the entire season. He had only had a handful of practices under his belt coming into that game because of coming out late due to the basketball state tournament run . Also, if I remember correctly Johnson Central also teed off on Paintsville pitching in that game as well. Paintsville and Central both went back and forth each scoring a bunch of runs. So I dont think that either team was too dominate in that game and either had very much to brag about. As I remember it was a little on the ugly side both ways.

As for your rankings I will go with this adjustment.

1A) Paintsville, Johnson Central, Lawrence Co

1B) Johnson Central, Paintsville, Lawrence Co.

1C) Lawrence Co, Johnson Central, Paintsville

We're all homers to a degree , but this is realisticly the way it is. It's way to close to even to begin to rank this region with these three teams being the only legitible contenders in my opinion. Nobody else in the region in my opinion is able to put 3 quality pitchers on the mound as a team. Allen Central has Little and Pikeville has only Carter. I think you are way over-rating Pikeville this year and way under-estimating Lawrence. Lawrence may very well be the team to beat in the region this year. I saw them play all summer long. They played tough against some very elite summer travel teams in the off season. It's gonna be tough on one of these three teams getting out of the 57th this year.
rooster Wrote:I think they just saw them only the one time last season, like in the second week of the season. If I remember correctly Fyffe did beat Paintsville his sophomore year and pitched well against them when he was a freshman. After that first game last year Blanton just gave up something like only 3 or 4 more earned runs the rest of the entire season. He had only had a handful of practices under his belt coming into that game because of coming out late due to the basketball state tournament run . Also, if I remember correctly Johnson Central also teed off on Paintsville pitching in that game as well. Paintsville and Central both went back and forth each scoring a bunch of runs. So I dont think that either team was too dominate in that game and either had very much to brag about. As I remember it was a little on the ugly side both ways.

As for your rankings I will go with this adjustment.

1A) Paintsville, Johnson Central, Lawrence Co

1B) Johnson Central, Paintsville, Lawrence Co.

1C) Lawrence Co, Johnson Central, Paintsville

We're all homers to a degree , but this is realisticly the way it is. It's way to close to even to begin to rank this region with these three teams being the only legitible contenders in my opinion. Nobody else in the region in my opinion is able to put 3 quality pitchers on the mound as a team. Allen Central has Little and Pikeville has only Carter. I think you are way over-rating Pikeville this year and way under-estimating Lawrence. Lawrence may very well be the team to beat in the region this year. I saw them play all summer long. They played tough against some very elite summer travel teams in the off season. It's gonna be tough on one of these three teams getting out of the 57th this year.
Well....in that game it was back and fourth til the third, when pPHS touched up Fyffe and then Blanton entered and Paintsville went up 12-5 I believe, JC closed the gap late, but never really threatened. it was JC's 9th game and Paintsville's eighth so I can't hardly buy that one either. JC's Basketball season was only a little over a week longer than Paintsville's, and everyone knows that bBlanto was working all year on baseball, unlike Paintsville's players, So i guess I just thought Paintsville was a little better last year, and return just as much if not more this year. Wasn't trying to make Paintsville world beaters, just the favorite IMO, but that certainly doesn't mean they won't have to play their best game in and game out, cause if they take that attitude, they go nowhere fast.
Pikeville will beat everybody in the 15th except paintsville and JCHS, I don't think they play Law. Co. and IMO, LC will finish third in Dist, but could win it, just don't think they will. So, with that, I put them just barely behind Pikeville.
But....did you call me a "Homer"??? LOL
The Guru Wrote:Well....in that game it was back and fourth til the third, when pPHS touched up Fyffe and then Blanton entered and Paintsville went up 12-5 I believe, JC closed the gap late, but never really threatened. it was JC's 9th game and Paintsville's eighth so I can't hardly buy that one either. JC's Basketball season was only a little over a week longer than Paintsville's, and everyone knows that bBlanto was working all year on baseball, unlike Paintsville's players, So i guess I just thought Paintsville was a little better last year, and return just as much if not more this year. Wasn't trying to make Paintsville world beaters, just the favorite IMO, but that certainly doesn't mean they won't have to play their best game in and game out, cause if they take that attitude, they go nowhere fast.
Pikeville will beat everybody in the 15th except paintsville and JCHS, I don't think they play Law. Co. and IMO, LC will finish third in Dist, but could win it, just don't think they will. So, with that, I put them just barely behind Pikeville.
But....did you call me a "Homer"??? LOL
It was still immediately following the second week of the season and everybody still had only a few innings of pitching under their belts, but their is a huge difference from being able to start on Feb 15 than starting in the middle to latter part of March. Central and Paintsville both had just played in tournaments racking up a few games but they were so close together that no pitcher on either team had anything more than just a few innings on the mound at that point. All of the pitchers for either team had only gotten fragments of a few innings going into that game.Central took a fairly sizable lead in the first inning that Blanton came into the game on the mound thanks in part to a home run by Blanton in the Johnson Central half of the inning. It was short lived however in that Paintsville took another lead in their half of the inning that followed that inning.

Due to the basketball run all of those that played basketball and worked on baseball in the offseason were not able to do anything concerning baseball for about a month prior to the start of the actual baseball season. Starns shut that down with Sat and Sunday practices. Actually about all that they were able to do anyways was to take a few cuts in a cage or throw a few throws off of a portable mound working on mechanics in the off season anyways. It's not like they were outside in live action lettin it fly, taking grounders,fly balls, scrimmaging, etc.to begin with. Hardly comparable to actual outside practice. But that's OK , sure hope your thinking that Fyffe, Blanton and Conley and the rest are all a bunch of scrubbs.

Didn't say that Paintsville could not still be the favorite , I certainly rank them as highly as anyone, as witnessed by my personal rankings. I do think that it will be real close and competetive.

I can tell you right now that unless Carter is on the mound , Pikeville will not be that strong even with the rest of the region. They will be beaten by someone within the region. They are very young and unproven for the most part. You going to tell me they will beat Allen Central if they pitch Little and Carter doesn't throw? I just think that there is a huge gap between whomever finishes third in the 57th and whatever that other team out there is in the 15th is that follows them. You just may not realize and understand how impressive Lawrence Co. was in some of their summer and fall games is all I am saying. Hey, they had the regional champs beaten last year in the district opener. Sheldon Clark should never have won that game and gotten the chance to advance.

I will say however in parting that Scott Little or McKenzie Carter are very capable of beating anyone in the 57th. Honestly I dont think that on any given day that there is a whole lot of difference in any of the top 5 or 6 pitchers in the region. They have all had their impressive moments.

And yelp , I'm calling you out as a "homer."Smile But that's OK , your no different than anybody else on here (self excluded of course),So your forgiven. Your an allright guy. That very same tendency is commonly exercized by the masses.Smile
rooster Wrote:It was still immediately following the second week of the season and everybody still had only a few innings of pitching under their belts, but their is a huge difference from being able to start on Feb 15 than starting in the middle to latter part of March. Central and Paintsville both had just played in tournaments racking up a few games but they were so close together that no pitcher on either team had anything more than just a few innings on the mound at that point. All of the pitchers for either team had only gotten fragments of a few innings going into that game.Central took a fairly sizable lead in the first inning that Blanton came into the game on the mound thanks in part to a home run by Blanton in the Johnson Central half of the inning. It was short lived however in that Paintsville took another lead in their half of the inning that followed that inning.

Due to the basketball run all of those that played basketball and worked on baseball in the offseason were not able to do anything concerning baseball for about a month prior to the start of the actual baseball season. Starns shut that down with Sat and Sunday practices. Actually about all that they were able to do anyways was to take a few cuts in a cage or throw a few throws off of a portable mound working on mechanics in the off season anyways. It's not like they were outside in live action lettin it fly, taking grounders,fly balls, scrimmaging, etc.to begin with. Hardly comparable to actual outside practice. But that's OK , sure hope your thinking that Fyffe, Blanton and Conley and the rest are all a bunch of scrubbs.

Didn't say that Paintsville could not still be the favorite , I certainly rank them as highly as anyone, as witnessed by my personal rankings. I do think that it will be real close and competetive.

I can tell you right now that unless Carter is on the mound , Pikeville will not be that strong even with the rest of the region. They will be beaten by someone within the region. They are very young and unproven for the most part. You going to tell me they will beat Allen Central if they pitch Little and Carter doesn't throw? I just think that there is a huge gap between whomever finishes third in the 57th and whatever that other team out there is in the 15th is that follows them. You just may not realize and understand how impressive Lawrence Co. was in some of their summer and fall games is all I am saying. Hey, they had the regional champs beaten last year in the district opener. Sheldon Clark should never have won that game and gotten the chance to advance.

I will say however in parting that Scott Little or McKenzie Carter are very capable of beating anyone in the 57th. Honestly I dont think that on any given day that there is a whole lot of difference in any of the top 5 or 6 pitchers in the region. They have all had their impressive mom
And yelp , I'm calling you out as a "homer."Smile But that's OK , your no different than anybody else on here (self excluded of course),So your forgiven. Your an allright guy. That very same tendency is commonly exercized by the masses.Smile

I never have and never will say or think that the boys across the creek can't ball!!
I have seen aqll of these kids since their T-ball days and think in all honesty that the best baseball players per capita are right here in Johnson County!!! To tell the truth.....I don't think anyone else in the Region can hold a candle day in and day uot to PHS or JCHS!
LC just happens to be in the best dist! Unless PHS and JC draw each other, then LC is out! To tell the truth.....JMO but PHS has always loved the fastball, But are now dangerous against off speed. There isn't a pitcher in the 15th that I don't think they can touch up to a degree.

I can't believe you called me a "Homer"!!!............................Again!!
The Guru Wrote:I never have and never will say or think that the boys across the creek can't ball!!
I have seen aqll of these kids since their T-ball days and think in all honesty that the best baseball players per capita are right here in Johnson County!!! To tell the truth.....I don't think anyone else in the Region can hold a candle day in and day uot to PHS or JCHS!
LC just happens to be in the best dist! Unless PHS and JC draw each other, then LC is out! To tell the truth.....JMO but PHS has always loved the fastball, But are now dangerous against off speed. There isn't a pitcher in the 15th that I don't think they can touch up to a degree.

I can't believe you called me a "Homer"!!!............................Again!!
:notworthy :notworthy

Smile