Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
coaching changes or rumors
Van Hagar Wrote:Brandon Hillard has resigned as Knox Central's head coach. A bit surprising to me, because they have the entire team back next year, plus they had a tremendous middle school team, so they look to be in good shape for the forseeable future.

Coach Hilard took the A D job at Casey Co.
insideinfo Wrote:Coach Hilard took the A D job at Casey Co.

Makes sense then. Any idea who might be in line for the job at KC?
Commanche Wrote:Where is Brian Dean going?

WOW, how in the world do you let Coach Dean leave? Since the school opened he has been the most consistent coach in their school district, their district, and their region! Has won a ton of games including several regional tournaments with a lot less talent than his competition. This will hurt LCC for years to come. Almost as much as letting Coach Justice go.
It was his choice. Administration at Letcher County wanted him to stay. A few misguided parents..but what program doesn't have a few. 99% of the LCC players, parents, and fans wanted him to stay. He has a wonderful opportunity in MS and we wish him the best.
UKisN1 Wrote:It was his choice. Administration at Letcher County wanted him to stay. A few misguided parents..but what program doesn't have a few. 99% of the LCC players, parents, and fans wanted him to stay. He has a wonderful opportunity in MS and we wish him the best.

It was his choice, but according to him(great source) the meeting at the board to discuss the parent complaints along with the administrative support as compared to other sports with the same problems was completely different. For him to leave a new house with a new child and move to another state shows that he didn't feel he was getting the support he needed. I know coach Dean and he was happy up until this season and wouldn't leave solely based on a few parents mad. The Dean I know would have cut the players of those parents and went on about his business. I feel the support he lacked came at the high school level. He will do great in his new job and in my opinion he was a top 5 coach in the state of Kentucky!
He would have retired at LCC and been fine with that if things would have been different. I don't think he intended on making a move like this until he was at retirement range, but sometimes things don't work out like you had planned. He is a very loyal guy and it probably hurt him when the administration didn't back him up like they should have. Too many times, you have people in administrative positions that are "people pleasers," and need to have everyone like them. Whether it be their personality or they have a separate agenda, these are the type of people that run good coaches off. They are never really willing to jump on one side 100%. It's a sad situation that could've been avoided and good luck replacing that guy. I'm sure the parents that started this mess will have a different opinion in about 6-8 months.
baseball1974 Wrote:He would have retired at LCC and been fine with that if things would have been different. I don't think he intended on making a move like this until he was at retirement range, but sometimes things don't work out like you had planned. He is a very loyal guy and it probably hurt him when the administration didn't back him up like they should have. Too many times, you have people in administrative positions that are "people pleasers," and need to have everyone like them. Whether it be their personality or they have a separate agenda, these are the type of people that run good coaches off. They are never really willing to jump on one side 100%. It's a sad situation that could've been avoided and good luck replacing that guy. I'm sure the parents that started this mess will have a different opinion in about 6-8 months.

This program will never be the same, unless they hit a homerun with their new hire. LCC was never a dominate program, Coach Dean took less talent(they have had talent just not as much as the other top programs in their region) and consistently won with it. It takes a special, hard working, dedicated coach to do this. They may never recover from this move unless they go out and get a proven coach with experience. I just don't see them spending the money it would take to get a coach of that caliber. Maybe if they get a Meehan, Varney, or another local coach to come who is looking to make a change. But even the two mentioned would be crazy to leave the jobs they have to come to a place that ran off the best coach in the region based on a couple of disgruntled parents.
Fattyfatpat Wrote:This program will never be the same, unless they hit a homerun with their new hire. LCC was never a dominate program, Coach Dean took less talent(they have had talent just not as much as the other top programs in their region) and consistently won with it. It takes a special, hard working, dedicated coach to do this. They may never recover from this move unless they go out and get a proven coach with experience. I just don't see them spending the money it would take to get a coach of that caliber. Maybe if they get a Meehan, Varney, or another local coach to come who is looking to make a change. But even the two mentioned would be crazy to leave the jobs they have to come to a place that ran off the best coach in the region based on a couple of disgruntled parents.

If the talent pool was better in Letcher county then it would be possible to get a top-notch coach, but like you said, he's been working with a lot less for years. The other issue you have is top-notch, established coaches look at the support system before anything. Once they get informed on how the parents acted and the lack of overall support from the administration, it will be hard to convince them. There is really no upside for an established coach to make that move. Their only shot at success is if they get lucky with a first year coach that happens to be great at what he does. However, you not only have to be a great coach to compete at LCC, you have to be better than every other coach you play. Needless to say, LCC has put themselves in a bad situation. Be careful what you wish for is all I can tell them.
LCC has a new principal. Not sure when you say administration who you are talking about. It was not from the Superintendent. We lost Ozz as AD and that made for some continuity problems. As far as equal treatment with other parental problems, all teams have those..each coach deals with them in a different manner. Coach said he stayed longer than he planned on and I would assume that was because of many factors including the supportive parents and the players who gave their all for him and his program. LCC will not be the same but it isn't bottom of the barrel when it comes to baseball jobs.
UKisN1 Wrote:LCC has a new principal. Not sure when you say administration who you are talking about. It was not from the Superintendent. We lost Ozz as AD and that made for some continuity problems. As far as equal treatment with other parental problems, all teams have those..each coach deals with them in a different manner. Coach said he stayed longer than he planned on and I would assume that was because of many factors including the supportive parents and the players who gave their all for him and his program. LCC will not be the same but it isn't bottom of the barrel when it comes to baseball jobs.

I guess we can just disagree on that last part then. If I am an experienced coach and looking to make a move, I don't see any upside or incentive to take the LCC baseball job. The location is terrible. The talent level is only average on the really good years. The stipend is average. I don't know much about the little league program, but I'm assuming going by the talent at the high school that it's not great either. However, like I said before, if they do a good job finding a new young coach just starting out that is willing to come in and start from the little league up in trying to build it up, then success is very possible. I think the key to that is to find somebody that has worked under great coaches and also somebody that has ties to the area. If you don't find someone that is from that area or even the Pikeville area, then you are going to begin to open up a revolving door situation where young coaches use LCC as a "stepping school." I think it's possible to have success there, but a lot of things have to happen first. I think the Compton kid would be good. He was at East Ridge I think. He's somebody that could possibly do it. This next hire is extremely important in deciding what direction LCC baseball is going.
Looks like Sheldon Clark will be searching for a second new coach in as many years.
Ashland, Russell, Letcher Central, and Sheldon Clark:

Shane Simpkins
Bob Seger Wrote:Ashland, Russell, Letcher Central, and Sheldon Clark:

Shane Simpkins

He's going to be stretched a little thin coaching all four.

He could probably take that SC job and not have to move.
I do know Betsy Layne will be searching for a baseball coach after Coach Dixon is moving back to his hometown in Indiana to coach basketball.
baseball1974 Wrote:He's going to be stretched a little thin coaching all four.

He could probably take that SC job and not have to move.
And I hope they beat Prestonsburg every season.
Van Hagar Wrote:Makes sense then. Any idea who might be in line for the job at KC?

The rumor is one of the assistants will be promoted.
BCF4L Wrote:And I hope they beat Prestonsburg every season.

Latest I have heard is that he will land at Johnson Central as assistant for a year, then take over the following year.

If this does come to pass, Shane will dominate at JC AND be appreciated by the administration and community.

He's a fantastic coach and teacher of the game. Sad for Prestonsburg...
cat86 Wrote:Latest I have heard is that he will land at Johnson Central as assistant for a year, then take over the following year.

If this does come to pass, Shane will dominate at JC AND be appreciated by the administration and community.

Absolutely he is. Prestonsburg hasn't seen this level of success in baseball in a good number of years. It's ridiculous to think they would run Shane off, but it's Prestonsburg High School so I shouldn't be too surprised. That place is a joke and will continue to be until the proper changes are made.
cat86 Wrote:Latest I have heard is that he will land at Johnson Central as assistant for a year, then take over the following year.

Where is Coach Hall going?
baseball1974 Wrote:Where is Coach Hall going?

If what I heard is correct, he will be stepping up to AD.

Take it for what it's worth...
Well, Tommy McKenzie would have to make the decision to move from the AD spot first. They're definitely not going to run him out of it, he does a fine job.
Facebook says sheldon clark has hired former lc jv coach randy bowens as the new head baseball coach. Congrats to coach bowens and best of luck to him. I am assuming he will take his son trace with him. That will be a big loss for the dogs not only as a quilty left handed pitcher but a great kid as well.
That is the rumor and congrats to coach Bowen. Great guy and coach. Nice to have a coach that don't run around crying about everything He should do a good job.
Bowens is close with several of the bulldog players may see more than one kid make the move to martin co.
dawg fan Wrote:Bowens is close with several of the bulldog players may see more than one kid make the move to martin co.

Umm, don't see that happening. Leave a regional championship team for Martin County? No offense, but come on. Maybe some player who didn't get a lot of playing time. I don't see that either.
Heard Bobby Dixon from Perry Central got an offer to be the Head Coach at Morehead State.
Ashland hired Paintsville grad and former Pikeville College (now UPike) head coach Johnnie LeMaster
dawg fan Wrote:Facebook says sheldon clark has hired former lc jv coach randy bowens as the new head baseball coach. Congrats to coach bowens and best of luck to him. I am assuming he will take his son trace with him. That will be a big loss for the dogs not only as a quilty left handed pitcher but a great kid as well.

I don't know very much about the Bowens guy. Is he originally from Louisa? Young? Old? Experience? I think as long as somebody can go in to SC and give them structure, and not wait until February to work, then they should be able to compete in the 15th? It obviously will take more than that to win the 15th, but just to compete in the 15th he should be able to do that right away. I think they were around a .500 team last season and I'm assuming that coach probably spent the entire season trying to get out of Martin county. I also don't agree with the concept of anyone leaving to go to SC. I just don't see that being a logical decision for anyone to make. I'd even think twice if I was his kid.
baseball1974 Wrote:I don't know very much about the Bowens guy. Is he originally from Louisa? Young? Old? Experience? I think as long as somebody can go in to SC and give them structure, and not wait until February to work, then they should be able to compete in the 15th? It obviously will take more than that to win the 15th, but just to compete in the 15th he should be able to do that right away. I think they were around a .500 team last season and I'm assuming that coach probably spent the entire season trying to get out of Martin county. I also don't agree with the concept of anyone leaving to go to SC. I just don't see that being a logical decision for anyone to make. I'd even think twice if I was his kid.

Bowens is probably around 45 or 50 years old, he is originally from martin co. And I beleave he was the 1st sheldon clark baseball player to play at the college level. He is a retired ky state trooper, I don't believe he has had any head coaching jobs at the high school level. He has coach the jv team at lc and littlel leauge for a number of years. To my knowledge he did not coach at all last year.
Levisa Lazer broke the story of the Bowen hire. wwww.levisalazer.com