Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region 2016
Amen... It's all about fundamentals, I don't watch a lot of high school baseball, but when I do teams lose because a player misses a routine ground ball or throws one away. Pitchers can't throw strikes..
Middle school coaching in our region is down. How many can you name that are really really good coaches?
Name Highs school coaches in the 13th region that are like Billy Powell, GJ Smith or Roger Morris?
I heard that NL may have lost a couple of seniors. Not for sure tho.
They have lost one starter for sure, and probably a 2nd. Obviously not going to put a kids name on here, but the fact of who the one kids parent is, may get that turned over though.
One starter. Other kid had never been in varsity game, and wouldn't have this year either. And no, there is no overturning anything over here in the land of "One Strike and You're Out." It's easier for our school board and administrators to do it that way, wouldn't want to ever accuse them of trying to help the kids, God forbid.
I agree that's crazy. Kids are going to be kids!!!!!!! Lord
Hitters_Count Wrote:I believe the point of RicFlair is that kids should come into HS knowing basic fundamentals, this is not the level to introduce it. Yes, you practice fundamentals EVERY day, but you shouldnt have to teach it for the first time to a 14/15 yr old HS player. This is why the good players make hard plays look routine, they have done the work for so long it becomes second nature in a game situation for them.
That's exactly what I meant, thank you for translating
I think your living in a fairytale world if you think kids coming into high school should be fundamentally strong. With all the parents coaching little league that think every game is game 7 of the World Series. I like to go watch little league Allstars and we have been blessed to have some really good team here in Knox Co the last few years but over the years I've seen kids that can't catch a fly ball on Allstars, what does that tell you about the rest of the league. And Middle School where most coach are only coaching thinking it will help them get there tenure. Ive not had the experience of travel ball, but can't be much different than AAU basketball which I've had plenty experience with. There is little to no fundamental work going on. Matter of fact there probably more bad habits pick up during AAU than good.
It seems like the corbin players really improved a lot from the time they started high school until they graduated when sawyers and garmin coached there and they were always contenders for the region. It just seems like thats not the case the past few years.
insideinfo Wrote:I think your living in a fairytale world if you think kids coming into high school should be fundamentally strong. With all the parents coaching little league that think every game is game 7 of the World Series. I like to go watch little league Allstars and we have been blessed to have some really good team here in Knox Co the last few years but over the years I've seen kids that can't catch a fly ball on Allstars, what does that tell you about the rest of the league. And Middle School where most coach are only coaching thinking it will help them get there tenure. Ive not had the experience of travel ball, but can't be much different than AAU basketball which I've had plenty experience with. There is little to no fundamental work going on. Matter of fact there probably more bad habits pick up during AAU than good.

Exactly the problem I'm pointing out....
Opening Day, who are the favorites right now to bring home the region title?
1. KC
2. NL
3. Clay
3. HC
5. South
6. Corbin
7. Barbourville
7. M'Boro
9. Whitley
10. Harlan Ind.
I would agree with your first four in that order for sure, Decker will be a big addition to the Clay roster. South has a lot to prove to me, they lost so many great players, and their jv and middle school teams were not good, just don't know how the replacements can even come close, but will always be dangerous when Miller pitches.
North, South, everybody else is playing for 3rd
Hitters_Count Wrote:Opening Day, who are the favorites right now to bring home the region title?
1. KC
2. NL
3. Clay
3. HC
5. South
6. Corbin
7. Barbourville
7. M'Boro
9. Whitley
10. Harlan Ind.

Putting pressure on Knox Central early.
I'm curious to see how they match up with Harlan County on Thursday, but I will be at the girls state tournament.
KC are you high?
No, just fly my friend
MBoro 7th come on people... They have 1st or 2nd best pitcher in region
Who pitched for HC in the 8-1 loss yesterday to KC?
HC threw about 5 different arms, none of which were Sizemore.
After the opening week has anyone been impressive.
KC threw 3 pitchers in the win.
North in a scrimmage against Southwestern and the first regular season game vs. Letcher Central has yet to allow a run. They are going to pitch it and catch it very well, if they can produce on offense they will have a big season. They struggled to score against a good Southwestern team, but scratched out one run to win, then hit it very well against what looked like an average Letcher Central team, winning 10-0. They will definitely at least be in the mix for the region title.
Well it looks like hitters count has jinxes our Panthers. I'm not sure anyone is going to be real good maybe a couple decent teams by the time region rolls around. At least the districts and region should be competitive.
North and Knox have taken some early losses especially South.
Could be a wide open year.
Very wide open, region will come down to pitching match ups and who can best manage to get their best arms on the mound in the right spots.
Van Hagar Wrote:Very wide open, region will come down to pitching match ups and who can best manage to get their best arms on the mound in the right spots.

I believe your dead on. This may be the most balance at the top that we have had in a long time.
The Redhounds have really had some big wins this year. Only lost in the region was to a walkoff hit by Clay. Very interesting to see how the 13th will play out
Corbin and Whitley split this week. Two close games.
Middesboro maybe sneaking up on people!
North laurel & clay county are the teams to beat, then kc with an outside shot. South laurel, corbin, middlesboro & harlan county could win a game or 2 if they make it to the region, doubt they could win 3 games though.
KC beat Clay 10-0 this season and are 10-2 against region opponents.