Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be Paintsvilles new head coach
As far as Kinner goes, I couldn't see him taking the head coaching job. His boy is still in Little League. Jason is a family man and enjoys being there when his kids are playing. I don't see him missing out on his kids games.
Redneck Wrote:Johnnie left with his family last year, before the Paintsville job was even available.

I think he's talking about when it was open 5 years ago and the powers that be went another direction
TigerBlues Wrote:I think he's talking about when it was open 5 years ago and the powers that be went another direction

I was referring to that. However, I do think if LeMaster would have been comfortable with Miller coaching his grandson, then he never would've came out of went to Ashland. If it were my grandson, and he had a chance to be a pretty amazing player, then I would've done everything to help him get to the highest level he can. I am sure LeMaster seen then the "writing on the wall," and the downward slope his alma mater was heading towards. Family comes first, and I think he knew his grandson wouldn't develop the way he needed to in the Paintsville program.

What I don't understand is why the administration didn't stop him? You could've had an all-state atglete(I think he hit around .550 this year), but you also would've had your greatest town ambassador leading his alma mater. Oh and by the way, he also just happens to be a former Major Leaguer and college head coach. I can't understand how that was even a debate?
baseball1974 Wrote:I was referring to that. However, I do think if LeMaster would have been comfortable with Miller coaching his grandson, then he never would've came out of went to Ashland. If it were my grandson, and he had a chance to be a pretty amazing player, then I would've done everything to help him get to the highest level he can. I am sure LeMaster seen then the "writing on the wall," and the downward slope his alma mater was heading towards. Family comes first, and I think he knew his grandson wouldn't develop the way he needed to in the Paintsville program.

What I don't understand is why the administration didn't stop him? You could've had an all-state atglete(I think he hit around .550 this year), but you also would've had your greatest town ambassador leading his alma mater. Oh and by the way, he also just happens to be a former Major Leaguer and college head coach. I can't understand how that was even a debate?
I don't recall Johnnie's name even being mentioned back then. He was busy coaching his grand kids in little league, developing them at an early age.
Redneck Wrote:I don't recall Johnnie's name even being mentioned back then. He was busy coaching his grand kids in little league, developing them at an early age.

Every time the Paintsville job comes open his name is mentioned.

The "Powers that be" should have found a way to keep him and his grandson in Paintsville. I'm sure having to leave weighed pretty heavy on him. After everything he has done, I'm sure it felt like a slap in the face to him.
baseball1974 Wrote:Every time the Paintsville job comes open his name is mentioned.

The "Powers that be" should have found a way to keep him and his grandson in Paintsville. I'm sure having to leave weighed pretty heavy on him. After everything he has done, I'm sure it felt like a slap in the face to him.

That settles that then, and losing Braxton will haunt Paintsville for a long time IMO
baseball1974 Wrote:Every time the Paintsville job comes open his name is mentioned.

After everythinh he has done? What has he done? Everyone knew this was gonna be John Doug's last season. Why did Johnnie take the Ashland job knowing that the Paintsville job was gonna be vacant after this season.
Redneck Wrote:After everythinh he has done? What has he done? Everyone knew this was gonna be John Doug's last season. Why did Johnnie take the Ashland job knowing that the Paintsville job was gonna be vacant after this season.

What has he done? Are you kidding me? Besides the fact that he played a decade and a half in MLB, he also built Pikeville College up from, what I understand, nothing. He also did it as a volunteer. The only head college coach to not make a dime coaching.

When it comes to baseball in East KY, he's it. He's the name you start and end with. Paintsville obviously didn't want him to coach, or he would be there. He wouldn't have left unless he had too. Seeing how far he took Ashland in just his first year, and his grandson being an all-state nominee as a freshman, I am sure Paintsville will try to make it look like he just left, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Paintsville could have definitely used him on the football field as well. I agree with "TigerBlues." Paintsville will regret losing both of them.
baseball1974 Wrote:What has he done? Are you kidding me? Besides the fact that he played a decade and a half in MLB, he also built Pikeville College up from, what I understand, nothing. He also did it as a volunteer. The only head college coach to not make a dime coaching.

When it comes to baseball in East KY, he's it. He's the name you start and end with. Paintsville obviously didn't want him to coach, or he would be there. He wouldn't have left unless he had too. Seeing how far he took Ashland in just his first year, and his grandson being an all-state nominee as a freshman, I am sure Paintsville will try to make it look like he just left, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Paintsville could have definitely used him on the football field as well. I agree with "TigerBlues." Paintsville will regret losing both of them.

Everyone knows he played in the majors and coached a PC. I thought you meant after everything he has done for PHS. As far as his grandson goes, yes he's a heck of a player, which brings me to my point, Johnnie was focused on developing his own grand kids and other youngsters in little league. That's why all of his grand kids are very good for their age, because he's been coaching them since they could pick up a ball and bat. He wasn't forced out of here
Redneck Wrote:Everyone knows he played in the majors and coached a PC. I thought you meant after everything he has done for PHS. As far as his grandson goes, yes he's a heck of a player, which brings me to my point, Johnnie was focused on developing his own grand kids and other youngsters in little league. That's why all of his grand kids are very good for their age, because he's been coaching them since they could pick up a ball and bat. He wasn't forced out of here

I'm not sure what him coaching in little league has to do with anything? Somehow you are missing what I am saying. I apologize for that.
Redneck Wrote:Everyone knows he played in the majors and coached a PC. I thought you meant after everything he has done for PHS. As far as his grandson goes, yes he's a heck of a player, which brings me to my point, Johnnie was focused on developing his own grand kids and other youngsters in little league. That's why all of his grand kids are very good for their age, because he's been coaching them since they could pick up a ball and bat. He wasn't forced out of here

"Forced Out" I would have to agree with you on if you use the term "forced out"( Johnnie was not physically removed from PHS) however, it would be very fair to say he was disrespected and unvalued and then showed the door.
If I have a son, or in this case a grandson, with that caliber of talent, I'm looking for a coach that will not only teach him how to be a good teammate and how to win, but also prepare him for the next level. I don't think he saw that in anybody up and down US23. That is why I think he wanted to be the one to do it, and who better. After your own alma mater treats you with disrespect, he had no choice but to take him somewhere else. He's the only reason anybody knew where Paintsville was. So I'm sure he was expecting to get treated better than he did.
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm not sure what him coaching in little league has to do with anything? Somehow you are missing what I am saying. I apologize for that.

Him coaching little league and being on the board has everything to do with it. You can't coach your grand kids in little league and be a major part of the everyday operations in the league, and coach high school baseball at the same time.
Redneck Wrote:Him coaching little league and being on the board has everything to do with it. You can't coach your grand kids in little league and be a major part of the everyday operations in the league, and coach high school baseball at the same time.

Is he still the president of the little league?
baseball1974 Wrote:Is he still the president of the little league?

Nope, and John Doug Miller was still Paintsville's Head Coach when Johnnie left and took his family to Ashland. Was Paintsville suppose to fire John Doug so that Johnnie wouldn't leave with those boys?
Maybe Johnny didn't want the PHS job
Redneck Wrote:Nope, and John Doug Miller was still Paintsville's Head Coach when Johnnie left and took his family to Ashland. Was Paintsville suppose to fire John Doug so that Johnnie wouldn't leave with those boys?

If everyone knew he was leaving, should have probably
Redneck Wrote:Nope, and John Doug Miller was still Paintsville's Head Coach when Johnnie left and took his family to Ashland. Was Paintsville suppose to fire John Doug so that Johnnie wouldn't leave with those boys?

If he's not the little league president anymore than everything you said about that makes zero sense. Also, if it was that well-known that he was leaving, then yes, they should have done something, and already been preparing for his replacement. There were several options,as well, they could have tried to keep him in Paintsville. LeMaster, could have came in as a co-head coach, in-which, the transition would have been an easy one for the players the following year. They could have figured out several things along that same line without firing Miller.

The bottom-line - The very second the administration at PHS found out that not only was Miller quitting, but that Johnnie LeMaster wanted to start coaching at the high school level, and would be bringing along his D1 recruit grandson, they should have done whatever it took, legally, to make that happen. They dropped the ball. Big Time!!
Sounds like to me that one guy was attempting to hold a program hostage and the program decided IT was bigger than HIM. Tell me, is any individual ABOVE a program at any level?
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Sounds like to me that one guy was attempting to hold a program hostage and the program decided IT was bigger than HIM. Tell me, is any individual ABOVE a program at any level?

Ask the basketball program or football at LCHS that same question. It was obvious the PHS admin had other players in the decision, wasted a ton of talent with the hire and had a person of the credentials that LeMaster has and experience would have developed into a program that could be built upon like the football program at Paintsville. Jmo
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Sounds like to me that one guy was attempting to hold a program hostage and the program decided IT was bigger than HIM. Tell me, is any individual ABOVE a program at any level?

Actually, it looks like just a really bad decision on PHS administration part, nothing else. I understand why you would support their decision though.
I heard today from one of the baseball/football parents that Walt Crace would be named the new head coach at Paintsville.
Walt would do a good job if given a chance
baseball1974 Wrote:Actually, it looks like just a really bad decision on PHS administration part, nothing else. I understand why you would support their decision though.

What? I couldn't tell you anything about Paintsville other than what I read on here. I don't know these people at all. But I understand why you would support a guy that "takes his ball and goes home" when the kids at the playground don't do everything he wants. This Lemaster guy has a great resume. But, still, more to the story than what you or I or anyone else outside the inner circle knows. Spreading rumors about the situation is kiddie stuff.

As far as your inside info, appears it may be a little off. A poster has just suggested the job went to someone other than the other guy.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:What? I couldn't tell you anything about Paintsville other than what I read on here. I don't know these people at all. But I understand why you would support a guy that "takes his ball and goes home" when the kids at the playground don't do everything he wants. This Lemaster guy has a great resume. But, still, more to the story than what you or I or anyone else outside the inner circle knows. Spreading rumors about the situation is kiddie stuff.

As far as your inside info, appears it may be a little off. A poster has just suggested the job went to someone other than the other guy.

You may want to reread this thread? It wasn't my inside info. I like how you refer to him as this "LeMaster guy," like you don't know who he is. Haha! Why would a town or a school system ever alienate a guy that put your town on the map and has been a great ambassador to the area? However, I will agree with you that I don't know everything about it, and there could be something or some reason that I am not aware of.

The reason I said I understood why you would support him going to another area is because him being at Paintsville will put them at the top of the region. The same way it did for Ashland this year.

The only thing we were trying to get across is LeMaster was the best candidate for the job and always has been. The fact that he has a future two sport division 1 athlete as a grandson is a huge bonus.
Big difference between developing players and having transfers fill holes to become relevant again.
Paula Dean Wrote:Big difference between developing players and having transfers fill holes to become relevant again.

I'm not sure how accurate that is? All I know, Ashland was coming off an 8-win season and an embarrassing loss in the first round of the region tournament. LeMaster took them to 19 wins and a region runner-up finish.

As far as developing players, and going by the online roster, he had 2-8th graders, 10-freshman, 2-sophomores, 5-juniors, and a senior. In my opinion, taking a team that young, changing their mindset from an 8-win season, finishing with close 20-wins, and somehow getting them to a regional championship game, is pretty remarkable. It looks to me like there was quite a bit of developing and not just on the fundamental side. I don't understand how anyone can bash what he did at Ashland last season?

The jealousy never ceases to amaze me......
I don't anybody questions Johnnie Lemasters' knowledge of the game and ability to coach kids. From what I hear from guys who are in the know, Coach Miller decided to step down recently because of another assignment in the district. The school administrators had no knowledge of his intent last year when Lemaster took the Paul Blazer job. Although he is in fact a great baseball man, he has a lot of "baggage" that he brings with him. Add to that the history of like "baggage" his son-in-law and his family have always carried with them, and you have a back biting mess to deal with. Anyhow, Walt Crace is now the baseball coach at PHS, and he is an eager and aggressive young coach. Best of luck to him and his young and talented bunch of Tigers.
Old Ball Coach Wrote:I don't anybody questions Johnnie Lemasters' knowledge of the game and ability to coach kids. From what I hear from guys who are in the know, Coach Miller decided to step down recently because of another assignment in the district. The school administrators had no knowledge of his intent last year when Lemaster took the Paul Blazer job. Although he is in fact a great baseball man, he has a lot of "baggage" that he brings with him. Add to that the history of like "baggage" his son-in-law and his family have always carried with them, and you have a back biting mess to deal with. Anyhow, Walt Crace is now the baseball coach at PHS, and he is an eager and aggressive young coach. Best of luck to him and his young and talented bunch of Tigers.

I don't know anything about the son in law or baggage. The only thing I know about him is when I seen him pitch in high school. As far a his character goes or anything like I have no idea so I wouldn't even begin to try and understand that aspect of it. I'm sure living in a small town it is easy for grudges to form and last for decades. My opinion on the situation was based on what happens on the field. I realize in small rural towns people don't always get awarded things based on merit or experience. I don't know much about the new coach, but I wish him luck.
Old Ball Coach Wrote:I don't anybody questions Johnnie Lemasters' knowledge of the game and ability to coach kids. From what I hear from guys who are in the know, Coach Miller decided to step down recently because of another assignment in the district. The school administrators had no knowledge of his intent last year when Lemaster took the Paul Blazer job. Although he is in fact a great baseball man, he has a lot of "baggage" that he brings with him. Add to that the history of like "baggage" his son-in-law and his family have always carried with them, and you have a back biting mess to deal with. Anyhow, Walt Crace is now the baseball coach at PHS, and he is an eager and aggressive young coach. Best of luck to him and his young and talented bunch of Tigers.

This is the first I've heard about Walt being the head coach. Everyone here knows he was one our key players back when we won state, and went on to play college ball. Was an assistant under Tucker Howard, and coached the middle school. I have faith that he will do good things with Tiger program if he is the new coach.