Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowling Green vs. Pulaski County (5A State Championship) 12/4
I've seen that also. But I have been around (even worked under one) football coaches that pressured the football players who wanted to play basketball to focus only on football even though they were good basketball players. I will say this for coach hines: if he has a player that can play both he allows them to play both. More coaches need this philosophy
Slotback22 Wrote:How many have left SWarren or other schools to go to BG as freshman if any?

I don't know of any. They could if they move to the city or they have a parent that works in the city school system.
I would say the Bowling Green program "recruits" players. If I had a son that was a good football player and I lived in that area I would want him to play for Bowling Green without talking to any coaches or Booster club presidents. When you win and win and win the players come to you, you don't have to go out and recruit them the program does it for you.
BG 55 PC 0. That's a 118 point turn around from a mere 4 years ago. Great job Coach Wallace and staff.
Warrior 2002 Wrote:BG 55 PC 0. That's a 118 point turn around from a mere 4 years ago. Great job Coach Wallace and staff.
Yeah, maybe the best job of player development in the history of football. :notworthy
Willie Turnover Wrote:I would say the Bowling Green program "recruits" players. If I had a son that was a good football player and I lived in that area I would want him to play for Bowling Green without talking to any coaches or Booster club presidents. When you win and win and win the players come to you, you don't have to go out and recruit them the program does it for you.

I see what you're saying on this and I would tend to agree. You live in the Somerset area, correct? Just out of curiosity, assuming if you had a son that was a good football player, would you send him to Pulaski over Southwestern or Somerset?
Warrior 2002 Wrote:BG 55 PC 0. That's a 118 point turn around from a mere 4 years ago. Great job Coach Wallace and staff.

Can't beat them, accuse them of cheating. Nice.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I see what you're saying on this and I would tend to agree. You live in the Somerset area, correct? Just out of curiosity, assuming if you had a son that was a good football player, would you send him to Pulaski over Southwestern or Somerset?

I would have him quit playing football, make him play golf and send him to SW.:Clap:
Willie Turnover Wrote:I would have him quit playing football, make him play golf and send him to SW.:Clap:

Somerset would probably be the most prestigious golf school in the area. Probably should choose another non-contact sport if you would like to stay at SW.
[SIZE="2"]Posters, this thread is about the upcoming state championship game between Bowling Green and Pulaski County. If it wasn't such an important topic, I would've closed it days ago.

Now, I have deleted posts because they were off topic, and I have handed out infractions. There's nothing left to do.[/SIZE]

Please consider this to be your last warning. Any posts that are off topic or inciteful, I will ban that poster.
adopted purple Wrote:Can't beat them, accuse them of cheating. Nice.
:concentratetongue:
Granny Bear Wrote:[SIZE="2"]Posters, this thread is about the upcoming state championship game between Bowling Green and Pulaski County. If it wasn't such an important topic, I would've closed it days ago.

Now, I have deleted posts because they were off topic, and I have handed out infractions. There's nothing left to do.[/SIZE]

Please consider this to be your last warning. Any posts that are off topic or inciteful, I will ban that poster.

You've been busy, and I missed all the action :biglmao:
Win or lose, the score will be closer than it has been the past few years. Pulaski has too much talent on this years team to get blown out. Got kids breaking school records left and right as well as state records!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Win or lose, the score will be closer than it has been the past few years. Pulaski has too much talent on this years team to get blown out. Got kids breaking school records left and right as well as state records!
I hope so. But I thought last year was fairly close, 21-7 I believe. Either way I'll be pulling for the Maroons. These Maroons beat them as 8th graders maybe they can as seniors. I think if I'm not mistaken all of PC's 12 or 13 seniors played in that game in 2012.
Trophy Room Wrote:I hope so. But I thought last year was fairly close, 21-7 I believe. Either way I'll be pulling for the Maroons. These Maroons beat them as 8th graders maybe they can as seniors. I think if I'm not mistaken all of PC's 12 or 13 seniors played in that game in 2012.

Yes, the margin of victory for Bowling Green has been getting smaller every year. In 2013 it was 49-14, then 2014 was 23-7 , and last year was 21-7.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pjdoug Wrote:You've been busy, and I missed all the action :biglmao:

You WERE some of the action with your pot stirring!!
Granny Bear Wrote:You WERE some of the action with your pot stirring!!

I must have put it on auto-stir while I was gone. Go Purples!
Last years Pulaski team was better than this years Pulaski team.
I hope I am wrong but BG 56 PC 20*

*Unless BG is dumb enough to kick it to Jake Johnson after all their TD's. Then the score will be BG 56 PC 56.
Bowling Green is very good and the recruiting aspect happens everywhere you go when multiple schools in a single county are involved. How prevalent it is at Bowling Green I am not sure but they definitely have the ship going the right direction and are the best team in that county and area for that matter. Whether people are jumping on the ship....who knows, but one thing is for sure they are not the only school doing it. And for that matter they very likely do not recruit. Program kinda of sells itself right now.
Didn't Northern middle last year tell 4 kids from southern that if they played for them they would make the all-star team? Coach Hines has done a tremendous job at PC don't get me wrong and I'm not accusing him or the high school of "recruiting". However the middle schools around the state play on a different set of rules.
So if the facts are only 2 players didnt play on BG middle school team that didnt score a TD against Northern back then, then Im picking PC in this one 42-14.:insane:
Of the 44 players on Bowling Green's 2-deep, 38 played football at BGJHS. The six "transfers" came as follows. 1 moved to BGJHS from Moss (Warren Central) after his 8th grade season. 1 moved from Greenwood during his FR year after FB season. 1 moved from Pearl Cohn (Nashville) during his SO year. 1 moved from East Nashville HS during his FR year. 1 moved from Christian Co. prior to his JR year. 1 moved from Oakland HS (Murphresboro, TN) prior to his JR year.

Given the nature of the contract between WC/BG schools, any Warren Co. transfer to BGHS will likely have to live in the BGISD district. Prior to this season, double-digit athletes left Warren Central and transferred to various schools. NONE came to BGHS. South Warren, Greenwood, Warren East, and F-S all had WC transfers this season.

Due to the contract limitations that WCPS puts on transfers to BGISD, there are very few "open enrollment" spots that are available each year and the two school systems hold a joint lottery to decide what students are allowed to enter the BGISD school district. There are hundreds on a waiting list to be put into the lottery each year. Most are pre-school age-elementary age. On the flip side, BGISD does not limit the number of open enrollment students that can go from the BG district to WCPS. Hopefully, a better understanding of the contract will enlighten you to the difficulties that BGHS would have collecting Warren County transfers after they reach HS age.

There is no doubt that any outstanding HS program attracts interest from parents and students desiring to become a part of great success. Often, "the rich get richer" in HS athletics. BGHS is not the only school to benefit from being an attractive academic and athletic environment.
KingsRansom Wrote:Of the 44 players on Bowling Green's 2-deep, 38 played football at BGJHS. The six "transfers" came as follows. 1 moved to BGJHS from Moss (Warren Central) after his 8th grade season. 1 moved from Greenwood during his FR year after FB season. 1 moved from Pearl Cohn (Nashville) during his SO year. 1 moved from East Nashville HS during his FR year. 1 moved from Christian Co. prior to his JR year. 1 moved from Oakland HS (Murphresboro, TN) prior to his JR year.

Given the nature of the contract between WC/BG schools, any Warren Co. transfer to BGHS will likely have to live in the BGISD district. Prior to this season, double-digit athletes left Warren Central and transferred to various schools. NONE came to BGHS. South Warren, Greenwood, Warren East, and F-S all had WC transfers this season.

Due to the contract limitations that WCPS puts on transfers to BGISD, there are very few "open enrollment" spots that are available each year and the two school systems hold a joint lottery to decide what students are allowed to enter the BGISD school district. There are hundreds on a waiting list to be put into the lottery each year. Most are pre-school age-elementary age. On the flip side, BGISD does not limit the number of open enrollment students that can go from the BG district to WCPS. Hopefully, a better understanding of the contract will enlighten you to the difficulties that BGHS would have collecting Warren County transfers after they reach HS age.

There is no doubt that any outstanding HS program attracts interest from parents and students desiring to become a part of great success. Often, "the rich get richer" in HS athletics. BGHS is not the only school to benefit from being an attractive academic and athletic environment.
Thanks for your time in trying to explain. I just have a couple questions, and you seem to be the only sane person on this thread. Is Bowling Green Middle School and Bowling Green Junior High School the same school, and if so are they grades 6th-8th? I know people think I'm accusing BG of cheating or I'm jealous of them or whatever, but I'm honestly not. I just want to know for my own satisfaction if this is the same BG kids that played at BG MIDDLE SCHOOL in 2011 and 2012. If it is, then I'm truly amazed. I have been around football my entire life and have never seen anything close to the turn-around these kids have made. I know it's been 3-4 years, but I don't remember them having much more than 20 kids on their 8th grade team.
There is no middle school. It Bowling Green JR high. Grades 6-8.
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/prep/s...88763.html
When the Bowling Green football team takes the field Sunday night against Pulaski County for the Class 5A state championship, it’ll be the last game for a Purples offensive trio that has etched their respective names in the record books.

It just so happens this particular trio has grown up as best friends since elementary school.

Seniors Clark Payne, Deangelo Wilson and Jamale Carothers have helped lead the Purples to their fifth state championship game in six seasons and represent part of a Class of 2017 that hasn’t lost many games.

Payne and Carothers now rank in the top two in the school record books of their respective positions, while Wilson ranks in the top 10.

They’re part of a senior class with a record standing at 54-3. Take it back to their days at Bowling Green Junior High School where they only lost three games and there hasn’t been much losing since the Class of 2017 officially became Purples.

“I was just thinking about it the other day,” Payne said on recollecting Bowling Green’s senior class that has a current 26-game win streak.

It all started when Payne and Wilson began playing football together in the second grade for the Tigers in the Warren County Youth Football League.

Basically, Payne said he’s known Wilson, “since I knew what football was.”

The two joined Carothers in the fifth grade to play for the WCYFL Steelers team while also playing Little League baseball and middle school basketball together.

“We’ve always been close friends since that,” Wilson said.

It’s evident that special bond off the field translates to a chemistry on the field.

Last year as juniors was the first time all three played together, with Payne making his debut as the Purples’ starting quarterback. Meanwhile as a sophomore, Carothers burst on to the scene with 1,033 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns. Wilson eased into the offense that same season with 324 receiving yards and five touchdowns.

Payne piloted the Purples offense with 2,560 passing yards and 32 touchdowns for a 65 percent completion rate as Bowling Green won its fifth state title last year.

The numbers for all three players have only skyrocketed since joining the field together.

While leading Bowling Green to an unblemished 14-0 record so far, Payne has thrown for 3,562 yards and 42 touchdowns against just four interceptions. Wilson has caught 15 of those touchdowns on 1,154 receiving yards and Carothers claims 10 receiving scores on 773 yards.

Carothers also boasts 1,282 rushing yards with 23 touchdowns.

“They put up awesome numbers,” Bowling Green coach Kevin Wallace said. “Their consistency is what has been their strength. It’s not just the consistency of game night, it’s the consistency of how they prepare to play every week.”

Those numbers place all three in the school and state record books.

Carothers’ touchdown on a trick play against Owensboro made him the school’s all-time scoring leader. He now has 484 points, with 202 this season, second only to Avery Hibbitt’s 204 points in 2006. The Naval Academy commit now has 80 career touchdowns, which ties him for 26th in KHSAA career statistics.

Wilson is 10th on the school’s career scoring list with 266 points. The receiver who also plays point guard for the Purples’ basketball team now has 37 receiving touchdowns to rank 17th on the KHSAA career list, 147 receptions to tie for 28th and 2,517 yards to rank 34th.

Payne has thrown for 74 career touchdown passes and ranks 50th in the state record books and second all-time at Bowling Green behind Devin Hayes (87). His 6,205 career passing yards is 71st in state history and his .655 career completion percentage is the sixth-highest ever in KHSAA history.

His 68 percent completion rate is the 21st highest single-season percentage in state history.

Their individual performances have helped Bowling Green’s offense score 657 points this year as the fourth highest total in school history. Payne credits that to a trust built over 10 years working together.

“We just know how everybody is going to react to every situation and we know where everybody is going to be on every single play,” Payne said. “We’ve got each other’s backs and we know everything there is to know about each other.

“We’ve been best friends, so I trust (Deangelo) to make every play, Jamale trusts me to make every throw and (Jamale) to hit every gap, so we’ve got the most trust for each other. We know regardless of the fact that we’re still going to be brothers at the end of the day.”

That run of nearly 10 years together will come to an end on Sunday against a Pulaski County team making its fourth straight state title appearance. But the Maroons have never beaten the Purples, and this senior class hopes to keep that streak going by winning their third state title.

“It just tells of all the hard work that everyone on our team is putting in, not just us three,” Carothers said. “We’ve all put in the work. We do workouts together in the offseason and we want the best for each other. … A lot of guys have been in this class from the beginning. We’ve all been close together since junior high to now. It’s been the same people that you hear their names on Friday night. It’s going to be good playing one last time together knowing that we can go out as state champs.”

-- Follow sports reporter Elliott Pratt on Twitter @EPrattBGDN or visit bgdailynews.com
What an inspiring article!!!
Great read Iam4thecats! Thanks for sharing! :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ricky Maxey, Jackson Mobley have become the Maroons’ best defensive playmakers

By DOUG EADS CJ Correspondent

You can't make four straight appearances to the Class 5 A State Championship Football Game without having some outstanding players on the roster.

Over the past four seasons, Pulaski County has been fortunate enough to have just that -- some outstanding players with a wide array of talent at various positions up and down the roster.

On Sunday night -- two of those players -- senior linebackers Jackson Mobley and Ricky Maxey -- will lace up their cleats and buckle up their chin straps for the final time in a Maroon uniform.

And, what a four-year ride both of these guys have enjoyed during their time at Pulaski County High School.

Maxey -- who set the all-time record for tackles in a career at PC a couple of weeks ago -- comes into Sunday night's game against Bowling Green needing 19 tackles to reach the mark of 500 for his outstanding prep career.

Maxey broke the all-time tackles mark -- once held by the late Mason Flynn -- in Pulaski's win at Whitley County just over two weeks ago.

Flynn held that mark with 453 tackles during his outstanding PC career, but Maxey surpassed it with an outstanding game against the Colonels, that left him with 456 stops for his career.

Since that game, the PC senior has registered 15 tackles in the Maroons 41-27 victory at Southwestern, and followed that up with 10 stops in last week's 62-55 victory in the Semi State Game against South Oldham.

Those two games give Maxey a total of 481 tackles during his outstanding career -- a career that saw him named to an All-State Football Team two seasons ago.

In 2016 alone, Maxey has recorded 176 total tackles, recovered one fumble, and has picked off two passes.

Mobley meanwhile -- a guy that has made a reputation over the past three years as a linebacker that will flat out bring the wood so to speak -- has enjoyed an outstanding senior year as well.

Mobley has a total of 134 stops in 2016, has picked off two opponent passes, and leads Pulaski County with six fumble recoveries.

Simply put, when the Maroons have needed a big play defensively, more times than not it's been number 6 -- Maxey, or number 8 -- Mobley -- that has came up with that key play at crunch time.

Whether it's Maxey making stop after stop on the inside, or Mobley wreaking havoc with his outside pass rush off the edge, these two guys have gotten it done in 2016.

Then again, they've been getting it done for the past four years, and are part of a Pulaski County senior class that has set another school record, by posting a 52-7 won-loss record during their outstanding prep careers.

In short, these two guys have gotten done on Friday night's for four years, and on Sunday night against a powerhouse called the Bowling Green Purples, these two guys will tee it up one final time in the hopes of bringing the Maroons their second state football championship in Class 5 A.

"After we took that beating in the second game of the year to Scott County, and Wiley (Cain) was hurt and out of the lineup, our defense had to pick it up, and I think we not only did that on game day throughout the season, but we did it every day at practice throughout the year as well," stated Maxey.

"We knew that offensively, we might go through some adversity, and we knew we had to go out there and perform and come up with stops, and for the most part, I think we were able to do that," added the PC senior.

As for Mobley -- he may be small in stature at 5-feet-10 inches and 190 pounds -- but there is absolutely no denying that over the course of his career, he has laid some of the biggest and hardest hits to opponents than anybody else in the PC lineup.

Mobley is just one of those guys that seems to have a nose for the football, and he doesn't mind at all to stick that nose into an opponent's business, blowing up play after play after play.

"I think our defense definitely stepped up a lot this year," pointed out Mobley earlier in the week.

And, as far as Bowling Green being a big-time and prohibitive favorite on Sunday night, Mobley says he and his teammates welcome the challenge, and can't wait for their opportunity to go against a Purples team that has won 26 games in a row, and is a team that is the defending Class 5 A state champions, thanks to last season's 21-7 win over PC in this very game.

"It's football, so anything can happen," Mobley remarked.

"I mean, really the Kentucky--Louisville game stands out to me, because I think that game showed that anything can happen on a given night," added Mobley. "We're going to go out there on Sunday night and play to the best of our ability, and hopefully that will be good enough to get a victory and another state title."

With Ricky Maxey and Jackson Mobley on the field for Pulaski County, anything is possible on Sunday night at Feix Field on the campus of Western Kentucky University.

After all, these two guys have been proving that for the past four years.

http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/sports/...65aa5.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's going to be a great game. Fine young men leaving everything out on the field. That's how it's supposed to be. I watched the UK/Louisville game too. ��
Bowling Green is just on another level this season. They're probably the 2nd best team in the Commonwealth, behind Trinity. Best of luck to both teams!

Bowling Green 42
Pulaski Co. 14