Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next B-ball coach at Belfry Middle
Also...you are telling me that all the 8th graders won't play next year?? Why is that??
Hoops Lover Wrote:Also...you are telling me that all the 8th graders won't play next year?? Why is that??

I can't find on this thread where anybody said that all of the 8th graders wont play next year. Lets hope that don't happen.... but lets also keep this thread decent and open for discussion. We've already had one middle school thread get completely out of control and closed. Lets be resonable so we can hear everyones opinions and voice our own...remember, everybodys got one.
Confusedhh:

Please and Thank You
Not trying to be rude or disrespectful....just curious about some of the statements made about the sophomores and next year's freshman class...ALL of the 8th graders practice with the highschool every chance they get..and from talking to some parents and to the kids themselves..they seem to enjoy doing that..
Also...I am NOT on here bashing Coach Varney...look at my posts...
Hoops Lover Wrote:Not trying to be rude or disrespectful....just curious about some of the statements made about the sophomores and next year's freshman class...ALL of the 8th graders practice with the highschool every chance they get..and from talking to some parents and to the kids themselves..they seem to enjoy doing that..

Oh I agree dont get me wrong!! LOL These things just tend to get out of control fast. Wasn't really talking to just you.....was just throwing a reminder out there so we can keep it going.
I absolutely agree, things spiral out of control and eventually spread over to the players. This is what spawns problems with the coaching staff, too many parents who know it all.

It takes a great deal of time/effort/work and dedication to devote yourself to being a coach. Especially a middle school coach. They are in the formative stages of basketball, still making those midget league mistakes and needing guidance on fundamentals and how to be play makers. This is a rough age to coach but a fun age to coach. The coaches take so much flack from everyone and no one gives credit where credit is due, it is easy to coach from the stands and have only your child's best interest at heart, it is different to have 15 plus kids and winning at heart. Let's all face it, everyone says winning is not what it is about, but when it comes down to it, it really is. Have you ever seen a coach being kept in a position because he/she really tried with the kids, they may not have won but they played together and learned. Heck no, they get rid of them if they are not up to par and winning. Face it people, it is a survival game, only the fit survive and play, the others are back ups and like I stated, never underestimate the power of the bench. Many points and plays come from here.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Collectively, the content of these posts are ridiculous.

Since when did it become rule that everybody gets to play. The last time I checked you keep score because the object of the game is to win. So your best five players ought to be on the floor as much as possible. Even at that, Belfry probably rotated more people than any other county school.

David Hatfield has no desire to coach, as far as I know, and if he did I doubt it would be in Belfry or lower than the high school level.

One more thing that needs to be mentioned is that Belfry's midget league teams are in bad shape. Every year one team loads up on talent and destroys the rest of the league because they are faster, bigger, and maybe a little older. The fact that they win so easily doesn't make them better and it turns other kids against playing the game of basketball.

i know for a fact if may and copley were in middle school program david hatfield would love to help them, copley was his favorite player, got him his first state championship.

as far as little league copley can't help it if he is the only team who can full court press, run plays, and change defenses, he learned this stuff from hatfield. yes the players arn't as good but thats not his fault, his team is small this year but very disciplined.
[QUOTE=what a game]i know for a fact if may and copley were in middle school program david hatfield would love to help them, copley was his favorite player, got him his first state championship.

as far as little league copley can't help it if he is the only team who can full court press, run plays, and change defenses, he learned this stuff from hatfield. yes the players arn't as good but thats not his fault, his team is small this year but very disciplined.[/QUOTE

i coached in that league last year, and copley even went to pratice with other teams to help them, and some games he starts his 2nd fiveConfusedhh:
what a game;

did you stop to think that if that league did go to a draft like someone suggested in a previous post, copley would not have all the talent on his team. what from I've seen, he stacks his team every year and only has the talent.
Hoops Lover Wrote:Who are the MANY sophomores?? Elkins is the only one that didn't come out...who are the rest??

There were two kids that were supposed to play, and be pretty good, but transferred back to Matewan..
mrfootball03 Wrote:There were two kids that were supposed to play, and be pretty good, but transferred back to Matewan..

And Corey Coleman. That brings the total to 4.
BlueChipper Wrote:what a game;

did you stop to think that if that league did go to a draft like someone suggested in a previous post, copley would not have all the talent on his team. what from I've seen, he stacks his team every year and only has the talent.

I think what the post is saying is that Copley spends time with his players and gets back to the basics. That is what is lacking simple fundamentals for these kids. If you don't start the corrections on mistakes now, they will continue late into the years when it is hard to break.
Keep it up Copley, you are what the little league needs, discipline and effort. Make em hate you when you arrive in the gym, a sure sign of talent. Ask former players for Keith May, they know.
Dream_Weaver Wrote:I agree with the Little League program being in bad shape. I know in the past there was talk about drafting players. Certain schools wanted only to draft the students at one school instead of the whole league and it didn't pass. I also don't think that it would be a bad idea to drop the 6th grade back into midget league. There should be enough 6th graders wanting to play to actually field more than one team . If a 6th grader is good enough to move up and play 7th then let him.

I agree about 6th graders playing little league. There just aren't enough schools that have strictly 6th teams, and I understand why. At that age, getting kids involved in sports is very important. From 7th grade on, winning games should be the main priority.
Hoops Lover Wrote:Not trying to be rude or disrespectful....just curious about some of the statements made about the sophomores and next year's freshman class...ALL of the 8th graders practice with the highschool every chance they get..and from talking to some parents and to the kids themselves..they seem to enjoy doing that..

The person who made the statement was trying to point the blame at Varney, when I really don't think anyone should be to blame over any of those freshmen and sophomores not playing.

That's the point I was trying to make, sorry if it was unclear.

That doesn't benefit anyone when teams are made up that way...football or basketball.
Hoops Lover Wrote:Didn't mean everyone got to play...meant more got to play because there were more teams..

That's the only fault to consolidation as far as I can see. Lots more kids would be on the "1st 5" if you have more teams.

But there really isn't anything that can be done about that.
Corey Coleman had surgery on his wrist from a football injury....he was unable to play...he worked out with the team until time for his surgery...he is just now getting back to where he can even use that wrist again..let alone handle or shoot a basketball..

his third grade son is probably a top 10 player in league now, what do you guys think his team will do the next two years unless he plays up in 5th grade to middle school, they play basketball a year round, never apologize for time and effort copley, just keep sending good players to the middle school. thanks for making the program better.
Belfry's next middle school coach...........I think it will still be Coach Varney and I'm sure that the parents and players will be glad to have him.
legacy1 Wrote:Belfry's next middle school coach...........I think it will still be Coach Varney and I'm sure that the parents and players will be glad to have him.

:lmao: Like they would enjoy having the plague!!!!!!!!!
coach varney isnt goin to sheldon clark to coach hes stayin at bms or hes goin up to bhs to coach freshman
LakeLover Wrote::lmao: Like they would enjoy having the plague!!!!!!!!!
lol:yikes:
what a game Wrote:i know for a fact if may and copley were in middle school program david hatfield would love to help them, copley was his favorite player, got him his first state championship.

as far as little league copley can't help it if he is the only team who can full court press, run plays, and change defenses, he learned this stuff from hatfield. yes the players arn't as good but thats not his fault, his team is small this year but very disciplined.

Copley hand picks his teams to WIN. Since when did beating kids in the 4th and 5th grade 60-5 and still pressing prove anything.
LakeLover Wrote:I think what the post is saying is that Copley spends time with his players and gets back to the basics. That is what is lacking simple fundamentals for these kids. If you don't start the corrections on mistakes now, they will continue late into the years when it is hard to break.
Keep it up Copley, you are what the little league needs, discipline and effort. Make em hate you when you arrive in the gym, a sure sign of talent. Ask former players for Keith May, they know.

And that is what Varney had to deal with the past 2 years. Tell me how many of Copley's players can shoot a proper right and left hand lay-up? I saw some of his "star" players from last year that Howard and Varney were coaching and guess what?
None could shoot a left handed lay-up, do a pivot drill correctly, could get into triple-threat, plus the kids that is almost 6 foot tall in 6th grade couldn't drop step or shoot FT's with one hand.

Copley has bigger worries than basketball though......hows the Daycare business been lately:yesno:
JD If U Please Wrote:And that is what Varney had to deal with the past 2 years. Tell me how many of Copley's players can shoot a proper right and left hand lay-up? I saw some of his "star" players from last year that Howard and Varney were coaching and guess what?
None could shoot a left handed lay-up, do a pivot drill correctly, could get into triple-threat, plus the kids that is almost 6 foot tall in 6th grade couldn't drop step or shoot FT's with one hand.

Copley has bigger worries than basketball though......hows the Daycare business been lately:yesno:

And it looks as if they still can't shoot a layup or shot with any respect. I have seen this team, and if that is what you call being able to shoot, go back to school my friend. I did not see anything they have done with these kids except hide in the locker room when the going got tough. Get real dude, these are kids still don't have talent. If they did they would have proved it on the hard wood and apparently Pikeville put a stop to that.
JD If U Please Wrote:And that is what Varney had to deal with the past 2 years. Tell me how many of Copley's players can shoot a proper right and left hand lay-up? I saw some of his "star" players from last year that Howard and Varney were coaching and guess what?

First of all, this is a thread to discuss basketball, opinions and thoughts. Why do you have to be personal and try and disgrace someone's personal name. You better watch what you say, there are kids who read these post and it is ridiculous for an adult to have a thread closed because he/she cannot abide by the rules. I am sure all those who are on here have some pretty bad skeletons in their closet, and most know what I mean. Why not keep it clean.

You cannot and will not tell me Keith May's former and present players cannot shoot.They are fundamentally sound through out, he works and dedicates himself to the kids. Lets not lose sight of this post.

what did these kids learn in summer pratice and camp. saw those kids play last yaer and that did not seem to be the case.
coach varney really stepped it up this year though so i have to defend him on that, maybe with another year of middle school ball, he can grow more at a better coach, and then try out the highschool level.
IMO I do not think Keith May will take the middle school job. Rumor has it that he has been offered a high school job and will be coaching at the next level next year. If he did end up with the middle school job it would be a very sound program.